Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,312 | Hads: 3,730
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: poured a nice golden color with light haze look. Poured a nice thick creamy head

Smell: Had a nice grain smell with a hint of citrus to my nose.

Mouthfeel: I was surprised that it had a smooth feel, with a bit of hoppyniess to it. I am glad I tried this brew as I am a fan of Hefeweizen style brews

Overall: I found this brew to be quite delicious it had a hoppiness flavor as it tilted back towards my throat the wheat flavor was distinctive and was quite present. I recommend this beer for hot dogs or grilling.

*Recommended Brew for Summertime

**note: I am not a professional beer taster, the opinions in this review are mine and mine alone. (662 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

12oz bottle at fridge temp served in a hefeweizen glass.

Appearance: Light straw colored. pale and hazy (I stirred the yeast at the bottom and added it as you should). Creamy head of medium bubbles that sank to a rim around the glass.

Nose: Bready, Malty, banana, clove spiciness.

Taste: Light and refreshing, very low hop bitterness, bubbles lift from the tongue and delivery the classic banana and clove flavors associated with a hefe. This is very classic to and a great example of the style.

Finish: very short (1-3 seconds then gone) (542 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from the bottle into my Delirium tulip.

Appears an amazing golden hazy color with a slight orange tinge. Impossible to see through. Big fluffy white head dissipates quickly.

Smell is delicious. Slightly tart with typical belgian yeast smells - banana, clove, orange - slight tartness.

Taste follows smell to a T. Very refreshing - yeast qualities not overwhelming at all.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy.

Overall, fantastic example of the style. Not my typical style of beer but this one is good! (510 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

12oz bottle poured into a wheat glass

Appearance - Typical hefe look. Murky golden straw color. Solid head with descent retention.

Smell - Some clove and banana. Very pleasant.

Taste - Taste matches smell with a little tartness to it which I wasn't expecting.

Mouth fell- Good medium body fitting for the style

Overall - Is this as good as some of the big hitters from Bavaria, no. However for the price and availability it is a solid hefe. I would buy this again for the price alone. For the craft beer noob this would be a great beer to introduce them to beers with more flavor. (594 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance- bright orangish murky hue. Classic unfiltered hef. White soapy head holds up well if poured right. Brew that is as inviting seen across the room just as much if held in your hand.

Smell-strong clove, un ripened banana.

Taste- clove, banana, medicinal flavors, real nice Bavarian yeast flavor. Nice spiciness, a lot of banana flavors which you'd expect from the style, but the clove spiciness from the yeast strain is probably the most upfront in this beer.

Drinkability- go to on a hot day, refreshing, goes down smooth. Real nice body. I'm all about hefeweizens right now and this is by far my favorite american rendition of the style. Sierra Nevada rarely disappoints. The yeast strain the use totally is on point for the style. Way better this Widmer or Pyramid actually puts those two to sham! (817 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Found this beer while looking at some other Sierra Nevada selection. Cloudy with a golden when poured. Develops a thick foam, but it does goes away. Has a slight citrus smell to me. Very light taste, but does have a little bit once swallowed. Great beer to have on hot summer day. (280 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +2.7%

Feb 2014 - From Bottle. Ever pleasant even from a 12 Fl. bottle. Remember to chase the bottom with a swirl.

Spring 2013. On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Spring is in the air & this really pleasant drink goes down very easily. Great, great balance in all the right places.

Nov 2012. On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Back in Nov. Still slightly out of season, but this time the body feels more in tune w/the climate. Nice delicate citrus tang.

02/21/12. On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Good body, great balance but a tad heavy for a session. (532 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am not a huge fan if Hefe's, and this beer didn't turn me on to them, although it wasn't bad.

It poured the typical cloudy yellow, with a foamy head that maintained on the side, and provided some lacing. The nose nose mostly banana, and done lemon. I didn't get much spice (clove).

The taste was bready, with the same banana-lemon notes. Again, not much spice to me in the taste. It was somehow both smooth (like banana pudding), but seemed slightly watery. I realize it's a lighter style, but it didn't seem quite right.

As stated, not going to run to re-evaluate my opinion on the style because of this one, but I would have another as an option or change of pace. (671 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into wheat beer glass

L: pale yellow, half misty ... can see through it some; fluffy 2/3-inch head of white foam, surprisingly no stick or lace, but it keeps a fully skin of white foam on top with a massive white collar; looks like a bubble factory in the column ... hundreds and hundreds of very tiny bubbles cascade up to the top

S: banana ... classic wheat beer, sweet and light and fruity; butterscotch

T: follows the nose 1-to-1 and the first few sips are so sweet you'd swear you're drinking a good tripel. the banana and fruit notes never sour

F: perfect ... it's very full yet very light and drinkable ... seriously, it doesn't get better than this

O: lives up to Sierra Nevada's sterling reputation ... I've yet to have a bad beer from them, and this falls right in line with the rest of their goodness. a great, easy, light hefeweizen that's perfect for this Texas summer but so tasty I imagine I'd love one of these in any climate at any time.

great brew! (993 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this in a pint glass at around 45 degrees.

Appearance: Gorgeous yellow with a 2.5 finger head that stays and doesn't dissipate quickly.

Smell: It is definitely restrained although I get some banana and some creaminess.

Taste: This is where it shines. Some lemon, cream, banana, clove (although not very much), sourdough bread.

Mouthfeel: creamy, easy, superb carbonation, light.

Overall: I would highly recommend this beer as it is an excellent interpretation of this style and quite possibly my favorite hefe. (519 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I sprays compare the hefes to Weihenstephaner. I was surprised by how well this compared. The mouthfeel is heavier on this Sierra Nevada and I feel that the taste is heavier on the clove here. I don't have much access to Weihenstephaner by me so this now be a go too. (268 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured a light gold color with a 2F head in a Hefeweizen glass.
The bottle is only 12 oz, so it didn't fill the glass all the way to the top.

Spice, clove, bananna and a hint of bubblegum in the aroma.

Mouth feel- above average carbonation. Not as carbonated as other beers in the style, which I would have preferred.

Taste: spice, clove, fruit, banana. The finish was very spicy.

Overall, a good Hefeweizen, but I prefer the imports such as Weihenstephaner and Paulaner.
This beer is very good for the style, but it doesn't have the prominent fruit, clove and spice which I have tasted in the German Hefeweizens. It's refreshing with a good finish, but it lacks the intensity and flavor of the latter beers. (713 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Serving style: bottle, poured into stein.

A: Dark, golden, cloudy as a Winter's day. Nice dirty hef, just like I like 'em.

S: Bananas! Cloves! Yeast!

T: Banana bread. Sweet banana bread with clove notes. Spiciness kicks in at the finish. Well-balanced with malty sweetness and spice.

M: thick, rich, velvety. The suspended yeast really makes this silky!

Overall: MMM Mmmmm!!! A very sessionable beer - my go-to when no good pints are available, it's priced decent, and in a six-pack. Hard to believe this comes from the same brewery as the horrid pale ale. A true winner by a large brewery. (596 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +2%

Bottle poured into Samuel Smiths Glass

A - Amber cloudy with medium thick head. Good retention leaving sticky lacing

S - Wheat, summer fruits, brown sugar

T - banana, clove, strawberry, summer fruits, slight pine bitterness at the end

M - just the right amount of carbonation. Smooth and goes down well.

What a fantastic Hefeweizen. (340 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This beer compliments the hot weather with it's sweet flavors which are light but it could just a tiny bit sweeter.

The smell along with the mouth feel is not overbearing, so that's good.

(Not the best review but I'm new, so give me a break lol) (248 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden with thin white head

Smells like clove and banana

Tastes like clove and slight banana flavor. Missing some of the sweetness I like in a hefeweizen but has a nice citrus flavor to it.

MF- medium body high carbonation

I'm gonna give this one another try later. I had high expectations and was hoping for a little more sweetness. All in all a good hefeweizen. (373 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

I've always had this in a pint glass until I learned that I'm not supposed to be doing that.
So for this, yes, this one is poured into a weizen glass.
The appearance was a cloudy yellow color with a thick soft white three finger head that dissipated ever so gently. Soapy clingy foaminess runs all over.
The smell has a full wheaty/yeasty breadiness. Light clove and banana complement nicely.
As it warms, light grassy and citrusy effects come through.
The taste copied the smell in pretty much the same order.
The mouthfeel had a tinge of sharpness but it wasn't anything overbearing. There's a nice crisp acceptable tartness gently rolling over my tongue.
Overall, this nice low ABV-ed beer is just a great deal in the Summer. I certainly hope its not true that this beer is getting retired. (793 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a cloudy orange color in a weizen glass with a magnificent head that dissipates slowly leaving a nice lacing on glass.

Smell is wonderful, my favorite part of this beer. Smells of clove, orange, and yeast.

Taste is with the nose, clove, and orange. Make sure you swirl the last bit like the bottle suggests. I think there is some great taste in there to be missed. I think the first one I drank from the pack I missed out.

Mouthfeel is a little watery, probably my least favorite part of this beer.

Overall, a superb beer. I really like the smell of this beer and the taste is not bad itself. Would definitely go for this again. The price wasnt bad either at 7.99 a six pack. Really glad I tried it. (711 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy straw with a billowing, frothy cream head that leaves sticky lacing as it slowly dissipates.

Orange, tangerine, clove, and banana form the aroma, with wheat and coriander adding complexity.

Flavor reveals lemon, orange, and light bready malt at the base. Clove lingers throughout. The finish is lightly bitter. Banana emerges in the aftertaste, along with floral hops.

Body is on the light side, with high carbonation and light alcohol warmth.

Very characterful beer. Lacks slightly in base malt character, allowing a minerally flavor to dominate. Yeast esters are nice and fairly complex. More bitter than I'd prefer. (635 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%

A-I drank it from the bottle so... i just picked 4 because that would keep the rating in line

S- Banana...very banana then the yeast

T-wonderful beer Banana and yeast...its almost like a banana bread beer when you first drink it. it has a nice bitterness at teh end though

M- light with moderate carbonation

O-DELISIOUS (323 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had this one before and gave it a 4.5 but wanted to do a full review to see if it held up. Outstanding appearance, almost perfect for a wheat to me. Murky with an outstanding head that sticks around and grabs the glass. Excellent smell also, wonderful hefe odor. Sierra Nevada nailed this one, I tend to like Hefeweizen's and this is a very good one, easy to drink and very tasty. Will certainly buy this one many times. (427 characters)

All I can say is wow, this is the best american made store purchased beer I have ever had. I have stayed clear of anything Sierra Nevada because their IPA is one of my least favorite beers.

After reading the reviews on this one I thought why not, it sounds really good. Really good is a huge understatement. This is the best American hefeweizen I have ever had. I want to apologize to Sierra Nevada for writing you off after only having your IPA.

This beer looks amazing in the glass.
-One important tip is to really swirl around the last 1/3rd or less before you finish pouring into the glass to get all the remnants in the bottom of the bottle. The first one I poured I missed a good amount of flavor because I did not get everything out of the bottom.

-This beer has more sedimentary yeast in the bottom than most beers and I highly recommend a proper hefeweizen glass and getting all the yeast out of the bottom of the bottle.

The taste of this beer is not strong, not weak, it is just perfect. Or as close to perfection of any american bottled beer I have ever had.

The finish to this beer is very clean and refreshing. I have had it room temperature, cold and in between and enjoyed it the same each way. I now choose this most of the time over my favorite German beers because it is way less expensive. Thanks Sierra Nevada for making such a good beer!

Cheers! (1,379 characters)

4.08/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at around 45°F

Appearance: After swirling and pouring the last bit into the glass, it became a hazy yellow golden color with a two finger white head.

Smell: Toasted wheat bread, banana, and cloves. In that order

Taste: Banana bread with cloves finishing it off throughout the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Light but smooth. Could be creamier, though.

Overall: Although wheat beers aren't my style, I do enjoy a good hefe around summertime, and this stacks up against the best American interpretations. A well done beer and refreshing to be sure. (583 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - Straw colored, hazy body. Thick, foamy white head lingers on top and sticks to the sides of the glass.

S - Lots of banana. Hints of fresh cut grass, pollen, coriander, and cardamom.

T - Not as much banana as the nose, which is a good thing. A slight lemony tang from the wheat hits, but then mellows out as flavors of sweet, hearty bread take over. The finish has a touch of floral spice from the hops along with fleeting clove.

M - Very chewy and satisfying. The splendid carbonation provides the beer a buoyant and lively mouthfeel.

O - This is the third best American Hefewiezen I have encountered after Live Oak and New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat. Seeing that those are only available regionally, that makes this the best regularly available non-German Hefe around. The flavors of this beer are intricate and rewarding. But the low ABV and refreshing nature of the brew allows you to enjoy a few of these on a nice spring or summer day. (997 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Nice hazy golden yellow color. Nice strong white head. Retention is quite nice. Lacing isn't too bad.

S-Not too sure if its my glass but i got a metallic note in there, but has good aroma albeit light. Faint clove and yeasty notes. Bits of fruit or something at the end.

T- A good bit of sweetness and clove upfront. A hint of banana is there. nice dry finish. It's damn good and refreshing.

M- very light and lively. I wish it had a bit more carbonation, but just an opinion. overall very drinkable.

O- while not being to familiar with the style, id say its another great beer. The score may not reflect that, but it's not too suited to my taste. I feel it a bit light in character overall. Don't get me wrong, it's great; just not that impressive. (755 characters)

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.