Life & Limb - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Life & LimbLife & Limb

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  10.20% ABV

Sierra Nevada & Dogfish Head collaboration brew.

(Beer added by: mjl21 on 11-14-2009)
4.38/5  rDev +9%

Cracked open the 24oz bottle and poured into a snifter. Damn, half is a huge tan head that is in no hurry to settle down. Nose is mostly malts and some bitterness. Mentions on the bottle maple trees and really not getting much sweet notes with the aroma. The smell is almost a weak stout, not expecting that.
The taste is sweet but not near as much as others noted. It just starts that way but quickly moves to a dry, bark like taste with some malt flavor. The finish is drying and just a bit of sweetness hangs around reminding you of the initial flavor. I really like where this one goes. To me it starts and finishes almost the same with a wonderful break in between.
Overall I really enjoyed this one. Heard a lot about it but even better than expected. Can't wait to try again in a year or so. Very good collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz bottle Batch 1 into a Dogfish Head off-centered pint glass.

Viscous pour slowly builds a sizable cap of tan head that settles to a crown-like veil of foam as it clings to the edge of the pint. The body of Life & Limb is dark russet brown and lets in some rusty hues at the edges. Cola syrup and chocolate dominate the aroma with subtle boozy spices and maple syrup. Hints of floral vegetation from the hops, and while the alcohol is noticeable, it isn't at all overwhelming this early in the game.

Very complex beer, this. Tons of rum-soaked dark chocolate and raisin notes pair with a vinous port character. The booziness is present on all parts of the palate, but never becomes overly hot. Earthy hops and maple syrup on the finish with a bit of holiday spices...rough around the edges, but granted this is a young 10% Strong Ale. Chewy, thick mouthfeel, but not sticky. I'm not quite sure how well L&L will end up aging, but I'm going to give it a shot...after all, it has all the markings of a cellarable beer: high ABV, thick body, complex flavor profile that still tastes a bit green. A fun collabo, and I hope DFH and Sierra Nevada do it again.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

A collaboration between Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada sounds like a can't miss. For the most part, it is a pretty solid brew, but it is not nearly as unique as it is advertised to be. Here is my review:

A: Pours a deep brown, almost black. Head and lacing are non-existant.

S/T: The aroma is very similar to a Brown Ale. Sweet, toasted malts, along with a pretty prominant alcohol presence. Honestly, I do not get much maple in the nose. There may be a touch, but I never would have guessed it was there unless it wasn't stated on the label. Taste is, again, much like a Brown Ale. First off, this is a very sweet brew. Not cloying, but the sweetness is a pretty dominant character througout. There is a strong toasted, caramel malt flavor which is complimented my a unique woody, vanilla character. In the distant finish, there is some maple. It is similar to those flat Italian cookies. It is a good beer, but is not as original or unique as it should have been.

M/D: Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Very sweet palate. Finish is slightly dry. The alcohol is hidden very well, however this one is still a sipper.

A good beer, but nothing earth shattering either. Its pretty much a jacked up Brown Ale with slight flavors of maple and vanilla. I would definetly drink this again. Recommended.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Now they were pouring this at Novare Res for their "it's like christmas" event. Now that was an epic line up!

It poured a delicious looking dark brown with a nice frothy tannish head that left some nice lacing.

Biscuity bread smell with a touch of birch. Most of all I got the maple syrup out of the smell. It smells very tasty.

The taste is intense, lots of maple syrup up front. Loads of dark malts with maybe a touch of caramel and molasses. I couldn't believe it had 10.2 abv, it's very well masked

I thought it had a sweet silky mouthfeel. Almost chewy.

I had no problem putting back two of them in no time=)

2.85/5  rDev -29.1%

24 oz into a Duvel tulip.
A:Pours a deep brown, almost black, with a nice creamy brown finger head. Seems to be lacing pretty good as the head settles.
S: Maple (go figure), sweet malts, deep fruit, alcohol, some hop on the nose, also a candy/sugary note. Smells great, although not outrageously aromatic. I'm dipping my nose pretty deep into this glass to get a nice whiff.
T. Very sweet, a unusually sweet sugary note is the first taste, followed by roasty, bready dark malts. Some diacetyl flavors in here. Finishes sweet and quite hot with some strong,nearly solvent-like fusels, ends with a delicious candy-like caramel flavor on the tongue that tastes more and more like maple sugar as you let it sit. Certainly has a host of stout-like characteristics, but the dark malts are always secondary in intensity to the strong sweetness throughout. Every now and again, there's a strong taste which is DISTINCTLY maple syrup-induced. Slight hop bitterness throughout lingers on the tongue and is probably the only thing keeping the lasting sweetness from becoming cloying.
MF: THICK. I've described beers as syrupy before, but damn, this thing takes the cake. Low carbonation makes this a heavy beer on the tongue, gooey, sticky... pour it on pancakes thick.
Drinkability: Comparatively low for a whole host of reasons that I just mentioned. Plus, it's quite strong indeed.

As a novelty... it's pretty interesting. This is not something I'd want to drink on a daily basis, however. The heat on the finish is increasingly coming across off-puttingly harsh as I drink it. The beer is exceptionally sweet, almost intolerably so. I wish there was a hoppier finish. This beer is delicious as it sits in your mouth, but around the time you swallow, rather than getting a balancing blast of hops to mellow out the sugary taste of this brew, you instead get an intense blast of even stronger sweetness which is frankly a little overwhelming. Most upsetting to me is the mouthfeel of the beer, which is expectedly thick due to the maple-syrup, but is quite hard to handle, no matter how hard I try to appreciate it for being exactly what I anticipated. Wouldn't it be possible to make a beer with maple syrup that feels like BEER in your mouth? This feels more like syrup. In the end, this is one hell of a sipper at 10.2% and I'm feeling every bit of the alcohol in my brain, and feeling every bit of this thick syrup marinating in my stomach. A cool idea, but definitely a one-timer for me.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

24oz bottle poured into chilled Westvleteren goblet.

A: Deep dark milk-choloatey amber. Nice light tan head, DENSE foam, traces of the pour were visible in the head, remisicent of a nitrogen head.

S: Great big maple notes, malt and maple. Very nice.

T: Again lots of maple, little alochol burn. Fresh wood flavors, fat malt backbone to the whole thing though. A really great sweetness, not cloying at all, a balanced sweetness.

M: Almost, I dunno, ropey? Coats the tongue, again with the maple references but it's almost a thin syrup?

D: Wonderful beer, but god help you if you if go for more than 1 bomber in a session.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Pours a dark hazy brown, small tan head forms and dissipates quickly. Heavy lacing.

S: heavy notes of maple syrup, molasses, some woody notes, very sweet malt profile and a heavy booziness on the end

T: the front of the flavor is very sweet like the nose, lots of maple and molasses followed by some bitter hops and a heavy dose of heat from the booze. That 10% abv makes itself known

MF: somewhat thick with a syrupy and slightly sticky texture

D: the harshness of the booze detracts from the complex malt profile. I am curious to see what this would taste like in a year from now. I was expecting something a little more rich

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

24oz Sierra Nevada bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours A very dark black but smooth and non-viscous with a huge off white fluffy head. The nose is very strong, slightly belgian from the yeast I think, sweet and a bit fruity.

Taste is a bit odd, it has some light bitterness and some woody/maple backbone to it. Tastes like there's some Belgian candi sugars. I'm really not totally sure what I think it's very interesting.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Live review. Poured from the 24 oz. bottle that I purchased at Ballantines in Willoughby about an hour ago for $23.00. I saw it at the Bspot (Michael Symon's restaurant) for $17.00 but the menu listed it as a 750 ML bottle. I am not sure that it is the same product. The bartender at Ballantines was kind enough to sell me the unopened bottle "to go" when he did not necessarily have to. 9 28622001 stamped on the right side of the label just above the UPC. I absolutely LOVE the label which is a tree with various objects planted throughout. Poured into my gold rimmed Gulden Draak tulip glass.

A Don't miss the dance of carbonation that rises up from the depth on the inside of your glass as you pour this one. Pours a very dark but not completely black body. There is some dark mahogany light that comes through with direct light. Head is a light brown, generous 4 inches that sticks around for several minutes. Fair lacing on the inside of the glass as well. 4.0

S Dark fruit, sweet malt and a shade of alcohol to the smell. There is also a nice, peppery bite to it that I like. Reminds me of a nice Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Repeated whiffs reveal a hop presence which is balanced and appropriate. 4.5

T My nose is apparently getting better at picking up smells. Medium to dark roast malt, dark fruits, some peppery notes and background hops in a nicely balanced but reasonably "dark" tasting beer. After reading the label and discovering that syrup from birch and maple trees was used the brewing process I cannot say that it tastes anything like syrup (in the sense that it is sweet) but there is a woodsy, earthy taste and feel that is very welcomed. There is also a very distant (like 10 minutes after last sip) taste of syrup which is welcomed and interesting. 4.5

M Active carbonation makes the beer dance across the tongue. There is a nice moderate feel too from the dark fruits, malt presence that is nice. Head retention being excellent, the beer has a bit of creaminess to it that is great too. 4.0

D Very good for this level of ABV, but its ABV keeps it from being the highest drinkability. It is very well hidden with all of the other tastes going on here. This will be the only beer that I drink tonight but I found it very easy to go back for more sips (for the review of course!). 4.0

Notes: Everyone should try this. Why can't a beer like this be available all of the time?

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

This one, I have been looking forward to. My close friend who loves beer (but not as much as I do) says this is a gimmick beer designed to get us beer geeks to cream our pants and delude our tastebuds when we drink it. We shall see.

The beer pours mostly black, with just hints of red translucency around the edges. Tannish head sits majestically, lacing well to the glass.

The aroma is very deep--anise, fennel, mocha, coffee and a burning alcohol nose--awesome. Really a marvel.

The flavor catches me off guard, because I feel it isn't nearly as layered as the aroma. Initially, I can say that the maple/birch syrup is very prevalent. The resounding sweetness in the first taste wanes a bit into a smoky, burnt malt aftertaste, with the finish bitter and nutty.

A very unique, yet challenging mouthfeel. This actually feels like I am drinking whipped egg yolks, so thick and frothy. A big downside, to me, is the prevailing sticky nature of it. My lips literally stick together after a sip. Strange.

Maybe a gimmick, maybe two excellent breweries pushing boundaries and giving us beers that we don't expect. I go with the latter, because even though I don't feel like I would want this again...I truly am glad I experienced it. Now to buy up some more and drink one every year following...this baby should age well.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally had to by one. Dogfish and Sierra are two of my favorite breweries, but I've heard mixed things at best about this brew.

Poured from the gorgeous 24 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a coca-cola color. An extremely deep brown with traces of maroon. It's got a tan half finger bubbly head that sticks around. Even if it's not kosher, I'm going to have to give a half bonus point for the absolutely gorgeous bottle art work. I love it.

Smell: Can definitely smell the booze. It's got a little hop kick. There's a big whiff of dark chocolate, and a bit of toasty malt. Not too shabby.

Taste: Well first of all, I can definitely taste the booze. I consider that a good thing for this style of beer. It goes well with the dark honey taste. There's some spice, and a lot of dark chocolate. There's some pine, but not from hops. Must be the maple syrup. It all blends together masterfully in a terrific dry finish. This beer is hot and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy, with pretty high carbonation, which benefits the style.

Drinkability/Overall: I was skeptical when I bought it. Various friends told me it was decent at best. The Whole Foods hipsters told me "it needs a couple of years." Now that I finally took the plunge, I'm glad I did. It's pricey, but I certainly see at least a few more of these in my future.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Poured 24 oz bottle into Bruery Tulip glass.

a- thin tan head, short retention. rich dark brown, with highlights of mahogany, opaque body.

s- light to medium aroma intensity. notes of molasses, maple, roast, light alcohol

t- medium to high flavor intensity. notes of sweet malt, molasses, maple, sticky hops, alcohol.

m- medium body. warming consistency. long flavor duration. light to medium alcohol, which is not bad due to the high ABV.

d- I will be buying this again. Better get it before it gets sold out.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Clear, dark burgandy body. Thin light brown head recedes rather quickly to a skimming. Spotty lace is left behind as I drink. Aroma is very nondescript. A little (emphasis on little) caramel, roast, alcohol and fruit. Flavor is more full than aroma. Tropical fruit tones mix with molasses and fig and maple. Sweetness is king, but this beer isn't cloying. It's a nice sipper. Alcohol is nicely integrated and really not that noticeable for a 10+ % beer. Light to light-medium in body. Lightly carbonated. Enjoyable.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a ruddy red with a firm 1.5 finger cap of off-white foam, good lacing.

S: Caramel and biscuit malt, herbal hop notes.

T: Quite a deal more hoppy than I expected, strong notes of pine and woody herbs, cedar would be a good description. Malt is there, gives almost a molasses syrupy sweetness as opposed to a direct flavour as in so many DIPA type beers, though this isn't really a DIPA. The maple syrup flavour outright is a bit hard to find.

M: Nice, thick and creamy, very smooth, full-bodied. I like it.

D: A solid collaboration beer, this one is pretty darn good after I've been underwhelmed by a lot of them. Worth a try for sure.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Deep, dark, chestnut brown body with a thick, light tan head that sticks around for a while. Nice lace.

Aromas of caramel malt and some mildly phenolic scent from hops or alcohol, i'm not sure.

Flavors are rich and sweet, with a strong nuttiness and an evident maple syrup flavor. Finish is warming and sweet.

Medium body with a sticky, satisfying texture and fairly low carbonation.

High ABV, delicious, and a satisfying texture make for an excellent brew.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Served in a small goblet.

This beer is a cleard amber/brown liquid with a thin collar of white head.

The nose is a little faint. I'm picking out sweet maple, hay, some earthiness, caramel malts, and alcohol with a slight hop note.

The taste follows the nose. It reminds me of a big boozy and sweet brown ale. Big caramel notes, maple, earth, subtle alcohol. It finishes a little dry and is very warming.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied and well carbonated.

I'm glad I was able to try this, but it's not something I'd reach for again. Also, the alcohol is catching up to me fast which hinders the drinkability. I respect both breweries, but it's hard to tell what they were going for with this one.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

On tap at the Church Key in DC. Pours a deep brown. Nose is lightly alcoholic, with definite caramel and fruitiness. Flavor is really well balanced, a nice malt and hops mix. Definite warming alcohol in the flavor. Body is good, fine for the style. Really enjoyed this one - a big, interesting beer along the lines of one of Stone's strong ales or maybe one of DFH's big brone ales (Palo Santo?), but a little maltier. Would definitely get again.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours out a really clear dark brown with a reddish tint when held up to the light. The creamy cap rises three fingers high and laces the glass as it slowly dissapates.
The smell is raisin and booze with a strong yeast burn to the nose.
The taste is smoothe as whiskey and coke. The initial flavor is sweet sugar and caramel with hops and yeast in the background. The alcohol soon follows and almost seems too strong but it passes away making you want another drink after 30 seconds or so.
This is a great drink for cold dreary days(today).
Mabey just a tad too strong but still nice in a ( let's get hammered) sort of way.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

This is strong, boozey ale. There is nothing delicate about this drink. It is a fantastic winter flavor; perfect to help you get into the holiday spirit! That is, if by holiday spirit you mean hammered, passed out in the snow with just stockings on. The main flavor is hard to identify but is reminiscent of cola.

(Served in a snifter)
A- This jet black beer has a matrix of microbubbles popping up to support a light tan creamy head for most of the beer.
S- There is a dark roasted malt and dark chocolate aroma that comes through with some faint white sugar notes.
T- The soft candy sugar taste competes with the boozy flavor but everything else is covered to start. As the beer opens up notes of dark cola and roasted hints come through with some white wood notes. There is a black roasted note and bitterness at the finish that is not hops.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a soft alcohol heat that grows quickly to an alcohol spike in the flavor.
D- This beer is big on booze and sweetness with not much more going on. It might really help to have it age but that is an investment I don't want to make. It is a nice soft porter without the booze.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Life & Limb pours a deep dark maroon in my glass, very porteresque and nearly as dark as a stout. Ruby tints glow around the edges and a nice big creamy ecru head builds and slowly falls over several minutes leaving thick ragged swaths of lacing.

Alcohol is present in the aroma along with chocolate malt, vanilla and a dark plumlike fruit.

The flavor is a big, dense and complex array of both sweet milk chocolate and bitter dark chocolate, strong vanilla, spices(clove and perhaps cinnamon). Deeply brandied fruits, raisins, plums and apricots. The malt body is like dark toasted pumpernickel bread slathered with molasses. Maple syrup makes it's appearance strongly in the finish in the roof of the mouth. Alcohol is present and noticeable but is not hot, it blends through the various flavor components as an intensifier.

The mouthfeel is perhaps the silkiest I've encountered, medium/heavy in body but more toward the heavy end, very smooth and lightly creamy with very fine and tight carbonation.

A big bold and imaginative collaboration beer, nicely done I think, combining the best from both Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head breweries. If my wife hadn't shared the 24 ounces with me I could easily sit and sip away the whole bottle. Very drinkable despite the strong nicely syrupy flavors. I can easily see saving a bottle or two of this, as it seems like a beer that might age very nicely. Highly recomended!

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours Coca Cola dark brown with a thin tan head.
Smell is medicinal with maple syrup, raisins, caramel, licorice, and dark fruit.
Taste is on the sweet side as the maple and birch syrup comes through strong. There is also significant oak, leather, and molasses.
Has a nice mouthfeel - big and chewy and coats very well.
Drinkability is low as this beer comes close to being cloyingly sweet.
Not a bad beer, but I was expecting more out of a Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada collaboration - doesn't live up to the hype for me. I've got another bottle that I will age for 1-2 years and see if it improves any, but I'm doubtful it will get up to A range with some age on it.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

The beer pours a dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose on this beer is impressive, with milk duds, brown sugar, more milk chocolate and celery salt. Interestingly, ths beer has something of a salty, underlying flavor to it. Flavors generally replicate the palate, except there's some nice light bitterness and licorice on the finish, which helps to counter the sweetness a bit. This beer is very rich tasting and has a very full and soft mouthfeel. Finish is pretty long, and alcohol is fairly well disguised for the abv. The sweetness hurts the beers drinkability just a bit, but this is still a very nice, very solid beer.

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a very syrupy deep red-brown colour, with some languid yellow-tan bubbles effervescing on the surface to produce a fine but filmy head. Some lacing. Better is the static bubbling released through the body when the beer is swirled. It looks damn tasty.

Some dark sweet fruits on the nose, with big malt characters to back it up. Notes of dates, prunes with woody notes present as well. Not particularly syrupy, but with nice dark, slightly resinous characters that pull it through.

Immediately sparkling with tiny bubbles on the palate, which would be unpleasant except for the fact that the body is very thick to cushion the blow. Flavour is compressed somewhere between bitter dark malts, heavy alcohol and phenolic hop characters - there's certainly a harshness on the palate that could be any or all of these things. Minimal sweetness besides the character on the nose, and the illusion of body from the thick feel. The alcohol is very present with big whiffs of banana scented booze notes dominant on the back.

I found this a tough beer to drink, especially with the strong boozy character. Even without that the notes are strikingly challenging. It's certainly got flavour, and if you sip it and share the bottle, you can get through it, but it didn't impress me terribly.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a dark brown with smallish tan head that recedes relatively quickly. Smells good, although a little hot--notes of molasses and syrup, nuttiness, and a bit of roastiness comes through too. Starts too hot when it's cold, I definitely recommend letting this one warm up and open up. Smell evolves nicely into some dark nutty and earthy tones, and the alcohol recedes in the taste and is replaced by a nice sweetness from the syrup. Some leafy hops in there too balance some of the sweetness with some bitter kick. Woody notes in there too. Definitely a unique beer. Very creamy and full bodied, perfect carbonation to keep it moving. A great sipper, and one worth trying (although maybe not worth the hype). Would love to see what some age would do to this, although I was too excited and wanted to try it fresh.

Life & Limb from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.