Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden BockSierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: adamette on 01-05-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 874 | Hads: 1,271
4.97/5  rDev +36.2%

Wow, I just love this beer. So drinkable, so refreshing, so malty, so intoxicating. Perfectly balanced and smooth as any beer out there. Sierra has redeemed themselves after their unbalanced and uninspired celebration ale. This tastes like beer. Great, satisfying beer.

Every once in a while, a beer will come along that challenges your sense of originality. This is that beer! Glissade is a totally original concoction. This beer has inspiration written all over it.

4.8/5  rDev +31.5%

What can I say? An amazingly delicate bock from Sierra Nevada. If you like the subtleness of a good lager, you must try this.

Poured a pale straw yellow with a white head that quickly faded into nice big bubbles on the top.

Smelt of bittering hops and delicate bread/biscuit scents.

I tasted some graininess quickly followed by subtle low hop notes. A dry finish keeps you thirsty.

Pleasantly carbonated, can't think of how to improve.

Incredibly drinkable. Don't let me near yours.

4.74/5  rDev +29.9%

12-oz bottle poured into a pokal.

A = Deep honey liquid with good clarity, brilliant white head of about one and a half fingers, good lacing as the head slowly recedes, medium amount of carbonation bubbling with very small bubbles.

S = Damn, I really love the smell of this beer. There is a white peppery spiciness to it, along with fresh cut grain, freshly tilled earth.

T = This is also a very nice tasting beer, with a perfect balance of sweetness of fresh baked buns and the bitterness of flower petals, all with earthy, grassy notes and the same white pepper that is present in the smell.

M = Medium-light body, decent mouthcoating, maybe stings just a little too much but that aspect calms down a lot during the time it took to drink the glass.

D = This is an eminently drinkable beer, excellent smell, excellent taste, goes down easily and each swallow really primes the pump for the next.

4.72/5  rDev +29.3%

I had this for the first time last night. I am a big fan of SN brews! This could be one of my new favorites. I am looking forward to sharing some with my friends tonight at the weekly meeting of the IBCFM ( International Beer Club for Men)! very nice flavor, great taste, good head and reasonable ABV of 6.40.

4.7/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I would and should give a lengthy review about this new classic presented by SNB. But i will let the beer speak for itself. Go out and bye this beer its Delicious with a capital D! Complex and smooth and very drinkable. Thats in my opinion makes a good beer, complexity to where its easy to drink more then 2 if one allows. Recommend and i will bye this again.

4.6/5  rDev +26%

Poured from bottle into standard pint glass.

A: Nice golden color, thin white head that disappeared almost immediately.

S: Malts and hops, nothing overpowering.

T: Again, malts and hops, and what seemed to be a melon-y taste.

M: Full and rich feel, with a sort of juiciness, again similar to melon.

O: A good beer, well-balanced; I really enjoyed it. Great for the hot summer day I drank it on, and I could see drinking two or three at once.

4.55/5  rDev +24.7%

For all of you giving this beer a negative review, are you at all familiar with the Mai Bock style. If not than please refrain from posting. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be real about a great style of beer that is often under appreciated in todays world. This is one of my favorite styles.

The appearance is that of a wonderful deep golden yellow transluscent hue that looks delicious and clean.

The smell is very nice with a wonderful and balanced mixture of honeyed bannana specialty malts and those spicy euro hops. If you are looking for the floral and citrusy types then you need to look elsewhere as that is not what this style is about.

The taste is beautiful mix of sweet ( but never cloying ) malts that seem to blend seamlessly with the herbal, earthy and spicy qualities of the euro hops, again, very very nice. It seems to just coat youre pallette with a melange of malty / hoppy goodness and where one does not overpower the other. A truly wonderful balancing act is achieved with this brew. That is what this style is all about.

So for those of you that think this is Sierras worst seasonal, I think that you should get aquainted with the style before you make these harsh assumptions on how tame and lame this brew is. This is a wonderful addition to the few Maibocks that are being brewed these days. Keep up the good work Ken. You are truly a genius in the world of brewing.

4.53/5  rDev +24.1%

Just what I wanted on a cold winter's day. Smooth and fairly malty at first with a slightly bitter hop bite at the finish. There isn't too many Sierra Nevada offerings that I don't just absolutely love and this is right at the top just under their Bigfoot Barleywiine, Northern Hemisphere wet hop offerings and their pale ale. One word...WOW. And quite dangerous as well at over 6 percent, the drinkability could get you in trouble. Great beer.

4.53/5  rDev +24.1%

Saw this beer on tap and no one could tell me what it was. I was after an IPA but after I was offered a taste I said yes pour me one. I thought it was a pilsner European style with a nice hop bite. My hophead beer buddy was not at the bar yet so I was safe. I liked this beer right off it is delicious and drinkable. More malty than hoppy but a great balance to it. Did I say it was very drinkable. Just bought a six pack and found it to be a helles bock. I should have known that as I like that style and have had several European versions. This is the first American I have encountered and it rates right up there. It does not disappoint if you like the style. Very nice to be drinking after so many IPAs o.k. I admit I am addicted to IPAs but 'Variety Is The Spice Of Life!' Did I say it is very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

I agree with hopman333 on this beer. It seems hardly fair for those not familiar with the wonderful maibock style to trash it so viciously. PBR? Yeah, I love PBR in the right situation (chilled to near-freezing after cutting the grass in mid-July), but does anyone with any beer experience really believe this is anything like that? First of all, the viscosity alone belies such a conclusion -- this is a beer that envelops the mouth in loving embrace, promising spring but bracing against winter. It is the twig of a barren apple tree, the buds visible upon closer inspection. A hint of green, barely visible, in the brown dead garden of winter. March whispers around the bend to us in January, gossiping about cheeky April.

In fact, this is a wonderful example of the style and frankly it shows considerable restraint on the part of Sierra Nevada to actually "get it right." Though I am a huge fan of SN for many years, knowing their approach it might have been tempting for them to overdo it and thereby "gender bend" this delicate beer-style. Thankfully for us they did not do so, and in fact this is an homage, a tribute, to European-style brewing from the quintessential California (micro)brewery. Hurrah for this beer. They jazzed it up a bit with a touch more bitterness, as is their signature -- but they did not overdo it.

Suitable and lovely with some homemade pâté de campagne on crusty bread. Please appreciate this lovely little beer!

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

One of the most drinkable beers in existence.

Poured from a bottle into a tall pint glass. Pours a deep golden color, very clear with a one finger head that leaves quite a bit of lacing. Looks like golden nectar... truly a nectar of the gods who like a drinkable, yet very tasty brew.

The aromas from this brew center around what smells like a lemony hop character and pils malt sweetness, carrying a lovely pilsner character with true bock strength into the nose.

The taste is very lemony, very sweet yet not cloying or thick. Very well balanced between the strength of the malts and the traditional lager hops. A very big lager without being roasted or thick in any way.
Mouthfeel is superb, and this is perhaps the most drinkable session beer on the planet.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Saw this first at the store and was afraid to try it out as I tried the summerfest last year and most summer beer offerings I've found to be a little on the light side in terms of flavor. But, this is an early to late spring beer and after reading about it on Sierra Nevada's site and saw that its BTU rating was higher than even their trademark Pale Ale, I thought I'd give it a try.

Appearance is a golden pale color looking through the side of the glass and looking straight down from the top the condensed color becomes more coppery and rich.

Aroma is almost in line with a sweet German or Czech Pils. There is a slight note of yeast fermentation, nice malt and touch of grassiness that really hits the spot.

Flavor is much like the nose, more grassy and slight yeasty notes, some hop spiciness, very well balanced with the malt body of the beer.

Mouthfeel reveals decent carbonation and it does really glide down as described.

Really wonderful beer for me, I wish I could see it extend into summer as I find it very refreshing and easily drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

My wife and I were at Heorot in Muncie, and I wanted a nice Doppelbock. Last time we were there, they had Celebrator on tap, which was incredible. This time, they had it only in bottles, and no doppelbocks on tap.

The bartender recommended this instead, saying, while not a doppel, at least it's a bock.

Well, he brought me the pint, and I drank it. And loved it. I usually don't like lighter beers, but this was good.

Color is light/medium yellow/orange. Flavor is light, fruity, a teeny bit malty.

We even bought another for a slightly intoxicated but cute wanderer-in who claimed she didn't like beer at all. She didn't like it, nor did one of her friends, but friend #2 did like it and finished it. :D

4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured into a pint glass

A: Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of white head with okay retention. More head please. Clear golden colored liquid. Good looking.

S: Clean malt and herbal Euro-hop. Smells nice! Great lager smell with no off scent. Do I detect honey?

T: Sweet malt starts out with a quickly following crisp citrus rindy hop bitterness. Very clean taste. Tasty and balanced, though slightly metallic at the end. Can't tell that it's 6.4 percent at all.

M: Clean, but slightly metallic feel. Decent. Lingering bitterness.

D: I could drink a lot of these. I'll buy a sixer and order again.

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a shaker pint.

A--Light to medium yellow with an active bubble curtain streaming continuously throughout the tasting. Looks like a pilsner. Head is one finger of white fizz that does not last long.

S--Usually I grade lagers for what they don't smell like rather than what they do. Here not only are no off smells present (sulfur, metallic, etc.), but there is actually some snappy grass and even sour apple notes, I guess from the yeast and malts. It's not bad.

T--Yum. Bright, crisp and refreshing. Very very clean profile with a thick bready middle, more of that almost apple cider acidity, and a healthy uppercut of European hops on the finish, which is strongly bitter. This is seriously hopped, with an almost tea-like character that's really nice.

m&D--Mouthfeel's great, crisp without being watery. Lively carbonation that's not annoying. I could drink these all day.

I really jock Sierra Nevada, and no doubt I'm missing the ESB, but wow--this is a master stroke of a replacement. Will be really nice to have as March turns into April.

I've had better Maibocks, but I've never had better at 10 bucks a six pack.

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Fin du Monde tulip.

Dark golden brew, crystal clear, with medium foamy white head that leavs beautiful lacing.

Very fresh slightly spicy hop aroma, crisp and subtle white flowers.

The bite of crisp bitter hops here is so clean, very well balanced with fresh malt. The flavor lingers on the palate for ages. Extremely refreshing and drinkable for a fairly full-bodied beer. They did a great job with this one.

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours a very clean yellow with a thin, pure-white head. Looks like a standard-issue light lager at first glance.

Smells a bit of banana, and very mild malts otherwise. Pleasant but not noteworthy.

I'm rating the taste, which is like an American adjunct on steroids, quite highly. It is super crisp, with some yeasty and banana flavors at the front. Mild herbal hops stick out a bit as well. The malt is just a bit sweet. This would be a superb early summer brew, so I'm hoping I can snag a few late-bottled sixers before then to hold over.

Mouthfeel is really nice. The malts are just dense enough, and allow the flavors to really spread out. The flavors are clean, and are gone right after swallowing. Perfect for this style.

Drinkability is superb. This would be a great party brew- flavorful yet accessable to the average Joe.

4.41/5  rDev +20.8%

bought and drank in Cambridge, MA, Feb 2010.

pours a golden-orange, crystal clear with thick off-white head. pretty good stickiness and lacing.

smell is probably the low side of what otherwise i think is a great beer - nice malt notes, hint of earthy hop, and some light fruitiness.

taste is very good, simply put. nothing too heavy-hitting, but full well-rounded flavor all around - touch of sweetness, with just the right amount of hop flavor in the middle before sliding right down, with some rounded, clean hop bitterness. flavlor doesn't really linger, but a ghost of the flavor does - just enough to drive you back to the glass to remember how good it really was.

quite thick mouthfeel, perfect carbonation, couldn't ask for more.

drinkability is also incredibly high - the label says it 'slides' across the palate, and i must say it flows right down, easy drinking, would be great in the summer, great flavor with hitting you over the head with it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aroma on the beer is of some citrus, toasty malt, and a bit of sweetness as well. Pretty appetizing.

Taste has a body that has some definite notes of citrus on it, as well as a bit of toasted/bready malt to it with some sweetness. The sweetness comes out more as the swallow progresses. Toasted and husk flavors are present at the finish. There's also a smattering of light hop bitterness that has a pilsener type quality to them that finish out the beer.

I like a lot of beers from Sierra Nevada, but this could be one of the best. It's not one that gets a lot of talk, but I found it to be very very drinkable. Really, it has quite a bit in common with some oktoberfests that I've had.

4.39/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours a golden straw color with an inch of whitish head. Spotted lacing. A little light for a Helles.
The smell is muted, but good and lagery. Some grain, earth and yeast are the interesting parts of the smell.
Sweet malty begining for the taste with a nice dry finish of hops. Lots of earthy, grassy flavors to this beer. Very nice, goes down smooth and easy.
I, for one, am very glad they brought this brew back. It was one of my favorite seasonal spring beers last year and didn't disappoint me this year.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - clear golden color with a decent head with less-than-average retention, leaves a nice lace

S - grainy sweet pilsner-like malts, clean: no yeasty esters or phenols; no hops noticed

T - sweet malt up front with a moderate hop bitterness on the finish; some floral hop flavors present, largely on the finish; clean fermentation character - no esters, no phenols, no diacetyl

M - medium body with moderated carbonation

D - This is an exceptionally well-made maibock, which happens to be American in origin. It's not a complex beer, but the style doesn't require it. It's very clean and enjoyable. I'll have another!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

SN knew the BA crowd wouldn't dig this beer when they released it in '10 - and to some extent, neither did I when I first had it. This beer won't appeal to the one-and-done ticker crowd. Perhaps I didn't like it because my pallet had been zinged by all the high octane crap I was drinking last winter??? :0)

I started to dig this beer last March, just as it was about to disappear as a seasonal, and have totally enjoyed it so far in '11.

Pours a beautiful golden with little head, which is fine with me. You can smell the malt and gentle hops on the nose before the taste.

Can taste the pale malts, kinda becoming sweet, almost too sweet, but they are swept away by the restrained hops at the end of the sip. Alcohol at 6+ is well hidden, I could session this beer (and do).

Took me a few tries to see the genius of this beer and fall in love with it. This is as advertised - a drinker, not a sipper.

4.38/5  rDev +20%

I brought a keg of this in to my pub to test it out and sold out within 2 days.

S - nothing too special, mild character with a pleasant sweet grain scent and some yeastiness

T - Starts with a grassy, aromatic hoppy bite, but quickly mellows into a biscuit flavor with some distinct malty sweetness that brings to mind mild vanilla and honey. Ends moderately citrusy with a dryness that leaves you just wanting another sip to bring back the smoothness.

M - at first seems a bit too much but rapidly enters a very pleasant and smooth equilibrium

D - this could be an all night beer, if you are willing to sacrifice some complexity for high drinkability.

Overall, definitely worth a try and who knows? Maybe you will bring some home with you to watch the budding Spring and to escape the heavy Winters.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been looking forward to this ever since returning from a trip to Germany last fall. Let's see how Sierra stacks up!

Appearance - crystal clear gold, with lots of effervescence and a firm head.

Smell - fruity/malty - perfect

Taste - just as a Helles Bock should; malty sweetness with the slightest hint of hops.

Mouthfeel - light and clean.

Drinkability - Very High! I would recommend this to beer snobs and newbies, alike. Glissade could/should be the beer that introduces a number of folks to craft brewing. Thanks Sierra for taking me back to Europe...

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

I am not a fan of this type but absolutely love this beer. Nice head, just off white, pretty clear and light brown. Aroma of mild malts, somewhat earthy and slightly floral. Medium malty taste with a bit of hearty breadiness which increases in bitterness toward the back of the tongue, nice light malty lingering finish. I only wish this was available year round.

Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.