Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 02-07-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA Alström Bros

TooGood, Mar 16, 2014

sscsmith1562, Yesterday at 02:35 AM
1.5/5  rDev -64.1%

cralyanne, May 04, 2012
1.65/5  rDev -60.5%

24 oz bottle shared by 321Jeff. Thanks, jerk.

Damn, this was a disappointment; a borderline sloppy mess. Appearance is a filtered golden amber with a frothy whitish head that quickly fades to a thing crown with little lacing. Extremely mild, boring aroma of dirt and biscuity malt, with trace amounts of grapefruit and citrus rind hops. A solventy, medicinal tinge is troubling. Onto the flavor. Oof! It get's worse with no balance or cohesion between strong solvent and alcohol, bitter grapefruit rind, sweet carmel malt and dry breadiness. Body is thick and well carbonated, but extremely hot and boozy. After a few ounces I poured this out, so I give this a White Birch trademarked 1.0 on drinkability. I'm probably being overly harsh on this, but we tried this against some hoppy beers from Three Floyds, Shorts and Lawsons tonight and this was the uncontested failure champion. Sorry Sierra Nevada, I need a SN Pale Ale to get this out of my mind.

yourefragile, Feb 03, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -58.1%

I was really disappointed in this beer. I like a hoppy beer and I'm a big fan of other SN beers lke Celebration Ale and Torpedo but this has absolutely no balance (I know, its supposed to be a hop bomb) and the varietals of hops they used completely missed for me. I drank about half the bottle and drain poured the rest. I know that other "hop heads" love this beer but they also love Sculpin IPA which again I can't stand. I like other IPAs that are 100 IBU's so its not the degree of bitterness that offends me, I just think that it's either a poorly crafted beer or my taste buds just can't appreciate the flavors that other beer advocates seem to enjoy. I guess that's why we have these ratings in the first place.

ELS, Sep 07, 2014

chippo33, Mar 13, 2013

Chucker17, Oct 02, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -56.9%

Very disappointed! I heard good things about this beer, seems to be flying off the shelves in my area. Not sure if I received a bad bottle but it has a bad smell to it, tasted off. Ill give it another try if I come across it but it wont be something i seek out.

tattoopunk031, May 27, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -55.7%

On draft at London Grille.

Pours a clear golden yellowish orange color with pale golden yellow hues when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger frothy white head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

Earthy hop aroma with hints of pine as well as citrus and tropical fruit. There's also a prominent sweet alcohol aroma which takes away from the hops significantly and a nice biscuit/Graham cracker malt character. Subtle grapefruit and citrus peel but the nose is overpowered by an earthy/soil like and sweet alcohol presence.

Chewy body that's on the fuller end of the spectrum with a blast of earthy bitter hops up front that lingers throughout but fades toward the sweet, hot finish. Slick and oily feeling with a one dimensional hop profile. Very faint citrus/tropical fruit character and again, a way too powerful alcohol presence that kills the better qualities of this beer. Sweet pale malt backbone that lacks the graham cracker biscuit character that the aroma suggested. The ABV is well masked as far as heat is cncerned but there is a lot of alcohol flavor.

This beer is kind of a mess really. Not very hoppy, especially when the palate adjusts to the original earthy pine flavor. Half way through the glass it tastes like a mildly hoppy sweet phenolic failure. I'm a big fan of SN and I was really excited to try this one but it was a huge disappointment. I'm glad I didn't sprig for the bottles.

corby112, Jan 28, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -54.5%

@ Gula Gula, Salem MA

Beautiful, pristinely clear amber color. Thin head quickly collars and fades away. Nice lace up top though.

Floral, super sweet malt aroma. Tastes really sweet with very little hop flavor. Hops come through more as pine sap and a lingering bitter. I'd like more hop resin. And hop aroma. And hop flavor.

Didn't like it in the bottle and like it less on tap.

donkeyrunner, Apr 22, 2012
1.96/5  rDev -53.1%

Reverend1, Nov 10, 2014
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.