Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kaseydad on 02-07-2010

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,891 | Reviews: 1,424
3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

A-Pours a clear gold/copper with a nice one inch off white head that has great retention and leaves wisps of sticky lace.

S-With a name like "Hoptimum" I was expecting a massive, hoppy blast to my olfactory senses. What I got was very pleasant, but a bit underwhelming. I'm getting citrus and pine with a semi sweet bready malt backbone.

T-A noticeable sweet/bready malt is the first thing I pick up followed by a bitter bite from the citrus and piney hops. And thats about it. The malt is too much on the forefront for my tastes in DIPAs.

M-Its surprisingly a bit syrupy in body. Medium body and carbonation.

D-The prominence of the sweet malt backbone and syrupy body detracts from this beer.

I'm disappointed with this one. Maybe my preconceived notions of a massive hop bomb are to blame for that. But with a name like "Hoptimum" what else should I expect?

This isn't a bad beer-especially if you like your DIPAs more balanced. It just didn't "wow" me. Still, a respectable offering from a fine brewery.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

after trying hard to find this one and striking out at several shops I finally found a store well stocked with this one.

pours an almost orangish color with a decent white head. The smell is the best part of this beer, very hoppy very fresh. nice citrus notes in the smell. The taste is Where i was a little underwhelmed by this one. The alcohol is present a little bit, which was to be expected, but it seems like the alcohol takes away from the bitterness and hop flavor. It had a good flavor and decent bitterness, but while I was trying to enjoy those the alcohol seemed to make its presence known. also the mouthfeel was a little thicker than I like my DIPA. and with the abv there it was not as drinkable as say ghandi bot, heady, or pliny.

This was a good beer. I'm glad I tried it but would stick to torpedo from sierra nevada, or go get some ghandi bot whenever it hits shelves.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was looking forward to a nice blast of hops. The beer was chilled and served in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a bright golden coloration. The head was thick and about a finger and a half high biege colored.

Smell: I was expecting an immense hop assault. I am kind of let down. The aroma of the beer has citrus, pine, mango a suggestion of pineapple and citrus zest. Lots of caramel sweet malt wrapping up the hops. A bit of alcohol brings stings my nose.

Taste: The beer has the hops wrapped up in a sugary caramel. Sure plenty of citrus and tropical fruit. The expected pine resin flavors are in place. Frankly the beer is not the blast of hops I was expecting perhaps the alcohol and malt are a bit too sweet all around. This is still a tasty brew and I am glad I got some; however, I wish the hops too be a bit more bruising. Its a balanced DIPA when I was hoping for a hop wreck.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The mouthfeel is slick full bodied. Carbonation works out well to the beers character. The hops have a bit of resinous quality which actually improves flavor and mouthfeel. Not bad and I hope to see more of these types of beers from Sierra.

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a clear dark golden color with a large off-white head that fades away quickly. Looks very similar to New Glarus Apple Ale, FWIW. Smells weakly hoppy, but difficult to discern exactly in what way. It's not a nose that gets you super excited. Sweetness and a little malt balances a robust, generic hop flavor. Light bitterness hangs on the back of the tongue. I am drinking this 2 days after it hit shelves locally, and it's not lacking hop flavor, and yet it really is a let down. There is nothing wrong with it, but it really doesnt bring anything to the table that gets me excited. Maybe I am becoming a snob. Reasonably drinkable with well-hidden alcohol. Good carbonation with a sweet, but not thick mouthfeel. Meh.

3.33/5  rDev -20.3%

Bottled Dec. 16, reviewed on Feb. 3.

Pour light golden in color, carbonation visible, head small but fluffy and leaves little lacing.

Smells like sweet citrus flavors--grapefruit, mango, etc., with a bit of pine. But it smells mostly sweet. Perhaps some alcohol in the aroma.

Tastes like candied citrus fruit with a bunch of background bitterness. A titch of malt sweetness. Full of hops, for sure, but they all combine for a sweet, puckering flavor that lacks in terms of layers of depth. Tough for me to pinpoint distinct hop flavors. Lots of alcohol going on here, also. Very different from the typical hoppy Sierra Nevada offering.

Mouthfeel is sticky sweet, not very thick but leaves a coating on the mouth, which is good in an IIPA.

The ABV makes this one a bit tough to drink, and the intense hop sweetness also makes it a one-and-done for me. I think the hops would shine better here with less alcohol. I don't imagine I'll get this one again.

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%

Copper amber in color, minimal head, not so great retention...

Hop, pine, fruit and citrus aromas dominate my nose the fruit smells are apple and pineapple also a little solvent aroma is tucked down somewhere.

Great hop bitterness, citrus and lemon peel flavors as well, sweetness is apparent on the finish but man does that bitterness last. The alcohol is well hidden and I feel like the hops have peeled back the enamel on my teeth, love it!

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, low in body and damn does it pack punch, great sipping dipa

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a clear copper color. A few lazy bubbles rise up to an inch and a half of frothy white head. The head falls to a frothy cap that leaves lots of lacy lacing.

Wow...this really smells of citrus. Tangerines, grapefruit, nectarines, some hints of pine, and mango. Its aroma is sweet, and pleasant.

The flavors match the nose...lots of citrus, and resiny pine. Its candy-like with a bitter finish. Imagine a hop flavored jolly-rancher if you will.

Medium to full body with little carbonation. It has a long bitter finish. The mouthfeel lacks something.

Great aroma, and flavor...the alcohol is hidden well, but the mouthfeel just doesn't sit right with me.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

24 oz bottle into DFH snifter

A - Pours a nice deep copper with a finger of off white head. Lacing is just great, coating the glass all the way down. Nice head retention, the head never dissipates fully.

S - Hop profile is similar to Torpedo, with pine and citrus hops most prevalent. A bit of muted sweetness in the background.

T - Hops, primarily bitter grapefruit with considerable pine presence. A bit of flowery hop is present too. Some caramel malty sweetness. A bit of grain in the finish. Some booziness. This is a hop show, and a very good one at that.

M - Medium bodied, just right. Slightly wet, could use some kind of drying effect that just isn't present. Boozy warmth is exceptionally pleasant. you get the warming effects with only the tiniest hint of booze flavor, which is excellent.

D - Very easy to drink. Glass was empty very quickly. There's initially a tinge of booze in the taste, but this tends to become a bit less noticeable as you drink more.

3.49/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip, this is a gorgeous brew, see-thru orange-amber with an absolutely massive frothy head that oh-so-slowly settles down to an uneven pillowy layer. Crazy retention with a ton of soapy and sticky lacing starting all the way up at the rim of the glass.

Smells like it has a similar hop profile as Torpedo- piney and grassy with some citrus. A lot more of those hops, but a load of malt sweetness and a hefty dose of alcohol as well. Tastes similarly frustrating. Scathingly bitter with a load of leafy/grapefruit/pine flavors, but quite sweet and very boozy. Although the hops definitely remind me of Torpedo, this 'big brother' version is missing the same raw power. The bitterness burns, but there's no gritty/scratchy finish that leaves you begging for mercy. Hoppy as all hell, but the sweetness and especially the booze become very distracting as it warms up. Definitely superior to something like Hopslam, which is almost gentle for the style. Hoptimum definitely has the hop end of the equation right, and I might be able to overlook the booziness if the malt backbone was drier.

Overall impression: It's not a bad beer by any means, but Hoptimum fails to meet the high standards I have for this brewery (my score is definitely inflated by the appearance rating). With rare exceptions (Hopsickle's the only one I can think of right offhand), it seems that DIPAs over 8.5 or 9% can't avoid the scenario where a sweet and boozy combo completely derails what the hops are trying to accomplish. Hoptimum comes closer than most to pulling it off, but falls a little short.

3.89/5  rDev -6.9%

Into a Duvel tulip, pours a HUGE, thick, creamy head atop a golden body exhibiting a blood-orange tinge. As I pour and agitate, the head reemerges nearly as large as its initial predecessor. Thick lacing as I tilt, pretty dancing bubbles.

Aromas are medium intensity, and include pine, orange, and biscuit-like malt.

Flavors of malty caramel, some lavender, sweet honey biscuit, and a mild yet complex offering of piny hops, citrus, and oranges on the finish. Packs quite a punch, though almost too juicy on the palate; could be slightly dryer.

Mouthfeel is thin and light, with just a slight bit of heat and bitter pine aftertaste.

Overall, Hoptimum packs plenty of flavor and bite, however, the bite seems to rely more on the malt profile than the hops. Don't get me wrong, the hops are there and they are abundant, but in a blind taste test I may be unable to tell the difference between this and something like 90 Minute DIPA by DFH. No matter, this near rivals the delicious complexity of Avery's Maharaja, with a juicy freshness that, again, could be tempered slightly by a dryer quality.

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Nice deep orange/yellow, can't remember its clarity or me looking for it (only had one on tap), No head but I like that for an IPA, good lace but cant remember anything substantial.

S - Smells of citric hops and flavorful malts , pretty fragrant comparing this to lets say Sierra Nevada Torpedo EIPA, HOPS HOPS & more! Smells like a hop heads dream.

T - Taste is super for SN, compares to a micro or maybe Greenflash IIPA, Citric hops, deep malts, and overall nice bitterness of supercharged IPA.

M - Nice carbonation, medium to large... Perfect for a IPA.. I like my carbonation in the IPA's. Strong aftertaste of citic bitter hops, and some deep malts of some kind.

D - Drinks heavy, Obviously its a DIPA/IIPA, with some great characteristic IIPA notes, perfect for the hop head, lots of alcohol and bitter tastes. Perfect in my book, drinks easy for an acquired taste, want another already! Thumbs UP for SN!

3.68/5  rDev -12%

Had from a bottle bought at BevMo in Santa Barbara. I could not find a bottled-on date, but I didn't look crazy hard, it could have been there.

Pours a rich, almost orange, golden amber color with a nice white head into my wine glass. Bubbly lacing drips down the side as I sip.

The nose was not impressive in its ability to flood my senses, but it did have a nice smell to it. Floral with earthy notes in the background.

"I like this" is the first thought to enter my head when drinking it, and it instantly took the edge off a gnarly long day for me. Although, that is probably because of the high alcohol that is very present in the taste. Also more than just present is a bite of hop bitterness. It feels about as bitter as an enjoyable beer can be - it pushes my palate to the edge, and I like that. The malt is there with a syrup sweetness, but without the syrup feel.

It feels velvety on the tongue and roof of the mouth, and I feel like if I licked my lips it would still be there. Nice for a good big beer.

I bought three bottles of this, definitely going to drink another one soon - and will probably ship one to my friend on the East Coast who can't get one for less than 15 bucks.

1.69/5  rDev -59.6%

24 oz bottle shared by 321Jeff. Thanks, jerk.

Damn, this was a disappointment; a borderline sloppy mess. Appearance is a filtered golden amber with a frothy whitish head that quickly fades to a thing crown with little lacing. Extremely mild, boring aroma of dirt and biscuity malt, with trace amounts of grapefruit and citrus rind hops. A solventy, medicinal tinge is troubling. Onto the flavor. Oof! It get's worse with no balance or cohesion between strong solvent and alcohol, bitter grapefruit rind, sweet carmel malt and dry breadiness. Body is thick and well carbonated, but extremely hot and boozy. After a few ounces I poured this out, so I give this a White Birch trademarked 1.0 on drinkability. I'm probably being overly harsh on this, but we tried this against some hoppy beers from Three Floyds, Shorts and Lawsons tonight and this was the uncontested failure champion. Sorry Sierra Nevada, I need a SN Pale Ale to get this out of my mind.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Picked up on a whim at Autsin Liquors. So, so glad I did. Had no idea how rare this was, or how rare they're claiming this to be.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip. A beautiful gold pour that is crystal clear. Sitting atop it was nice fluffy almost three finger white head that slowly fades leaving sticky lacing and a nice amount of clouds.

S - Glorious, glorious hops. Beautiful pine resin and grapefruit, Sadly theres none of the tropical hop aroma that I love so much.

T - Much like the nose. This is a definate a double IPA. There is a definate alcohol presense which is understandable. That great hop characters are there. Powerful pine resin and bitter grapefruit hops.

M - Really lacks here here with mouthfeel big time. Almost no carbonation here on the mouth. Super low carbonation here. Its not heavy or syrupy, its just well, it should feel much better.

D - All in all, this is a delicious DIPA, but the lack of mouthfeel really kills this beer. If it had some nice light carbonation this would be a winner. Its really good though, but not my double india pale ale. I prefer the ones with the tropical, tuttifruiti type flavours.

2.1/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a clear amber with very golden edges and about a finger or two of rocky white head. As it fades, a lot of lacing is left on the glass. Wierd, as I hold it up one way, it looks amber, and I move it and it looks gold. Almost like a holographic beer.

Aroma is very weak. Hints of piney hops, but very hard to pick out anything else.

Taste starts out sweet with some piney hop resins in the middle and a borderline medicinal finish. Not at all what I look for in a DIPA, no bitterness whatsoever and much like the aroma, the flavors that are detectable are very weak.

The mouthfeel is the only thing that is decent about this beer. Farily thick in body with a good bit of carbonation. Based on the high price point and weak aroma and flavors, I won't be trying this one again.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Giant fist full head of off yellow bubbles. Creamy and fluffy looking head with a clear body of yellow/brown honey appearance. Good head retention and nice lacing throughout

First smell is a grapefruit but then the hops take over. Extremely hoppy nose, which strangely overpowers and takes away the grapefruit almost on a full second. Very soft grass smelling and some faint bread in the back.

Taste is a giant hop and pine resin. Thick bodied, with huge hope pine resin like taking in a forest. This is like eating a Christmas tree, and the fruit component is nowhere to be found. Extremely hoppy but borderline syrupy with a peppery dry finish.

Drinkability is okay but not really my style. However this is something many people could dig into based on feelings of forest and pine and dryness. ABV is a little masked but some residual sugar sweetness comes out.

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Translucent golden body, a nice gold! Big frothy white head with nice lacing

S- Piney hops though not quite as big as I thought it'd be but still good

T- Piney and citrusy hops slam right up front, a nice caramel malt underbelly adds some sweetness with an alcohol and hoppy bite finishing it off

M- Medium body, bite from the hop resin and alcohol stick with you

D- My taste buds begin to acclimate after one so I can't imagine another but it's a good beer none-the-less

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

appearance: more on the golden apprearnce for an IPA

smell: nice hop presence, pine is there

taste: like a balanced pliny. Loads of pine flavor with a heavy malt backbone

mouthfeel: wow, heavy full bodied IPA, noticeably diferent

drinkability: world class, but the body affected this from being elit to me. I could of used a lighter body. it was kinda of weird thick. not expected.

3.97/5  rDev -5%

From notes. 24 oz. bottle on January 28th, 2011 in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Light gold coloring, a little hazy, with a foamy white head and similar lacing.

S - Pulling a lot of pine out of this one. Variety of fruit but predominantly lemon zest.

T - More bitterness than the smell lead me to believe. Still getting the pine notes. Not much in the way of malts on either front or backends.

M - Smoother with appropriate carbonation, not overly crisp, really obvious bitter coating on the tongue with a little heat.

D - Slightly disappointed in this one, I missed out on fresh Hopslam and was hoping this would give me my DIPA fix. Overall not bad though, best hoppy brew I tried during this session night.

3.69/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

24oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Another thank you to cjacobsen for sharing!

(A)- Pours a golden orange hue. Produced some white bubbles and lace.

(S)- A huge fruit blast of lemon, lime, grapefruit, pineapple, and peach citrus. Bits of dry pine.

(T)- Very dry with pine and subtle citrus. Mellow caramel malts.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A good blend of piney bitterness and citrus. Gets more bitter as it warms.

(D)- A good DIPA. Has alot of what you would expect for the style.

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip. Barely hazy, golden color. A half inch of head leaves behind a good amount of lacing.

A hint of spicy hop aroma is quickly overcome by tropical fruit; specifically mango. The slight malt sweetness comes through nicely here.

Lots of hop astringency in the front and a bit of a malt sweetness in the finish. Most of the best DIPA's I've had work the other way around. This is a solid offering of course. The hops are very spicy and at this point very dominant in the flavor. The hops and malt flavors work interestingly at odds it seems, not quite as harmonious as others.

Well I enjoyed this, the best part was the aroma. Doesn't quite hit the mark of the best DIPA's I've had, but definitely a serviceable option.

Having seen all the hype lately about Hoptimum, I decided to grab myself a couple of bottles. Upon opening the bottle, I expected to be hit over the head with hops...but I wasn't. It's much more subtle. This is not a pine forest of hops but rather a fruity fragrant bouquet of hops. Citra is there along with someothers. Grapefruit.

The pour is nice. Golden body with a decent head that quickly evaporates. And the taste? Not bad. I don't know. For all the hype this beer has been getting lately, I expected something to rival Pliny or Citra. I wouldn't immediately peg this as an extra-ordinary DIPA.

The mouthfeel is nice and pleasant. Smooth. As others have commented, the abv is quite well hidden. 10.4%? I barely notice it. It is boozy on the first taste, but it smooths over nicely.

Overall, I had pretty high expectations for Hoptimum. I was slightly disappointed. Is it a good beer? Yes, absolutely. Is it something to go dashing out the doors and drive all over town looking for? I'm not so sure about that. Still, it is a good drink.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a bomber into a mason jar. Re-poured when there was room.

Appearance:
Orange, as imperial IPAs tend to be. Nothing new in terms of color. Then again, show me a color I've never seen before and I'll probably die of shock.
Clear with a few bubbles. About a finger of head, but I generally try to prevent too much from forming when I pour an IPA.

Smell:
Lots of hoppyness and citrus. A tad sweet smelling, but not overly so. Pure and clean.

Taste:
Hops in the foreground, hops in the background. Fresh and tasty too. A citrusy zest accompanies. Malt undertones show up later on, just before the bitterness sets in. Hop forward, but manages to taste well-balanced.

Mouthfeel:
Pretty full-bodied as far as IPAs go. Sharp and crisp too, with the alcohol peeling itself off your tongue afterwards.

Drinkability:
Well, I drank a bomber no problem. In a night, I would probably be able to get through 2 of them easily, except for the price tag. It tastes very fresh and I'm sure it makes it's presence known in the DIPA world.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

22oz botle, fresh off the truck - Star Liquor

Blizzard beer.

appearance: cool label - something different from SN. served in my delirium chalice - bright orange-amber body, very clear, light bubbly beige film with minimal retention

smell: piney citrusy hops, a touch metallic, honey, lush red fruit

taste: nice stuff here - tropical fruits, ruby red grapefruit, citrus, orange peel, honey, vanilla. Alcohol comes through in a pretty fierce manner - which is detrimental and a little out of character for SN honestly. Nice, but i'd much rather have the grand cru for a few bucks more

mouthfeel: bitterness from the hops, slightly abrasive alcohol, sticky

drinkability: dissapointing

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

thanks to the roommate for picking up this fatty 24oz. about $8.99 I believe was the price. first of all, the bottle is great. sophisticated hop cone, needs a top hat though, hehe. lets see what sierra nevada's whole cone hop experience boils down to.

Pours with a brilliant clarity, shiny copper and very nice looking with red highlights.

smells spicy more than anything. sage, pine, lots of black pepper, and some red grapefruit with a touch of sweetness and some white grape skins.

the taste is powerful. quite bitter and intense at first. pine sap and bitter takes over. reminds me of when I actually tried a hop. chalkly and lingering like none other.

lots and lots of pleasant stinging carbonation. it feels good for what it is, and I like drinking it, but the bitterness is too much for high drinkability. someone that doesn't like bitter beers won't like this. I for one don't mind. reminds me quite a bit of torpedo.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.