2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 02-07-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,264 | Reviews: 1,239 | Show All Ratings:
Sark

Montana

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- how does the carbonation swirl like that?! Nice 2 fingers of cream colored head so smooth you can hardly define the bubbles. The beer itself is an orange-copper.

Smell- awesome fragrance of citrus, tangerine and lemon peel, some earthiness as well. The light maltiness also plays well to smooth everything out

Taste- nice note from the hops' citrus side up front but not at all overpowering, the malts keep it in check on the middle with some grassy and grain characters with a little alcohol kick on the finish. It's really quite surprising as much as Sierra Nevada touts the hop-Hop-HOP-iness of this IIPA, it's got a great balance to it.

Mouthfeel- medium/full bodied, hop oils going down, alcohol dry but doesn't linger too long

Overall- really, really a nice IIPA. Not for the faint of heart, but not crazy. This is a something to drink slowly. I'll be picking up a few on my next run.

09-16-2013 04:15:45 | More by Sark
croixian1

4.59/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

No, this is not a balanced beer, because it's not supposed to be. This is a grab you by the balls and drag you down to hopp fields forever. The bitter sweetness lingers on the palate for a long, long time. Goes great with a meal that includes beef but also great with BBQ. Or, heck, just drink one all by itself. Really top quality beer.

09-14-2013 20:14:48 | More by croixian1
tdogg30

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

I love this beer - this is my go to and I wish I could get this year round. If you love hoppy beers, you need to try this. It will not disappoint. Started drinking this out of the bottle, moved to a Sam Adams glass and have now graduated to a tulip glass. I love all 3 options, but best with a tulip glass.

09-11-2013 20:40:36 | More by tdogg30
mreatsum

Indiana

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I got this beer a bit late, was just a bit flat poured to maybe a 1/2 inch head. The smells were just typical for a hopped up IPA. Taste was out of this world, lasted well past the initial drink. In the mouth it felt like a premium IPA, bitter, dry, and sweet. And I do mean sweet. The resin of the hops are absolutely amazing. I had a 4 pack and drank 2 from the bottle and 2 from the glass. The sweetness of the final few drinks had my lips sticking together. The flavor last forever it seems. It makes everything taste better. Yes, a daily drinker like myself will still get a good buzz from the 4 pack. The 10.4% ABV goes perfect with the 100 IBU. Since this beer is sold out for now, I just can't wait until the 2014 edition.

09-07-2013 05:40:07 | More by mreatsum
1sophrosyne1

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed over an easy half-hour after pour into an IPA glass--thanks, MNishCT77, for the education!
The color is golden orange with a creamy off-white top, side-supported by a fair stack of bubbles. Retention isn't long, but thin lumps of lacing remain for a while.
The nose is grassy and sweet; grapefruits and a peach nestle in a bed of pine nettles. Somewhat dank (increased with standing) and dipped in resin, but still bright with a kiss of floral wine.
Very hop forward flavor, with those oils carrying lots of pine and citrus past the teeth. The lack of acids and carbonation leave the experience of taste rather one-dimensional. There's a late cheesy funk one would expect, too, but the grains are obscured. Even the high ethanol content is muted by the Humulus heft.
It's a weighty syrup in the mouth, even down the throat and into the belly. Carbonation seems to have been purposely kept low to just show off those cones, but I think it needs more bubbles.
This brew is truly a slick hop-juice. It's useful to demonstrate what's possible with that herbal component. When it comes to a total composition, though, I'd liken it more to an etude than to a finished song.

09-07-2013 00:23:20 | More by 1sophrosyne1
asaharyev

4.46/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pour: Clear auburn, with about a finger worth of head that fades to almost nothing.

Aroma: Resinous hop with a good amount of pepper in there. I get a decent orange citrus flavor as well. Nice bit of sweet malt background.

Taste: 100 IBUs is no joke. This is a seriously hoppy beer, but with more to offer than just that. Sweet malt backbone with piny resinous hops as well as a good dose of grapefruit and a wallop of alcohol warming. A great beer.

Overall: This beer isn’t quite perfect, but approaches it. I wish I tasted a little bit more of the pepper I get in the aroma, but the beer is awesome.

09-01-2013 22:18:38 | More by asaharyev
wr3ck00n

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours as a transparent coppery amber. Large but not terribly dense head with a lovely linger that leaves a thin lace.

Smell - Very fresh and crisp. Leaves me in a mind of apples, though not as much for the taste but as the texture.. if one can -smell- a texture.. hints of citrus, maybe some grapefruit. Pleasantly strong cardamom.

Mouthfeel - Caramelly smooth.. not overly dense but very flowing and filling. Tingly and lingers on the tongue.

Taste - Pretty damned enjoyable. Very hoppy, but complex with other flavors. Makes me think of apple blossoms and summer afternoons. Citrus undertones and a bitter aftertaste. Hints of burnt caramel and again with the cardamom that kind of ties it all together.

Overall - Very nice. Hoppy to be sure, but to a hop head, that's heaven. I will miss this when it takes a hiatus.

09-01-2013 03:23:20 | More by wr3ck00n
MrKennedy

Australia

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Cassie for surprising me with this one from Leura Cellars! 12oz bottle, 2013, into a Smartmouth snifter.

See-through orange appearance with a creamy looking off-white head of foam on top that leaves spotty lacing everywhere. Good foam retention.

Slightly sweet smelling, but not over the top, a lot of pine and grapefruit there along with a bit of citrus orange and orange peel. Pretty resiny and dank but a good strong sign of what's to come.

Obvious hop flavour coming through, lots of pine and grapefruit and with a decent whack of booze as well, but that generally comes with the territory for the ABV that this is at and the style.

Lower carbonation which seems to work for it, it does get heavy and syrupy, but it is probably just as well as it is a good reminder that it is north of 10% ABV. Solid bitterness early and mid-palate and the syrup sort of helps cut out the bitter finish and leave it lingering and something to savour.

Good big hoppy beer to sit back and have one or two of. Not as sweet as some in this category. Another very well done Sierra Nevada beer that is hard to beat for the pricepoint out here.

08-30-2013 09:19:40 | More by MrKennedy
BeerAficionadoMCMXC

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

A- A light brown pour. Almost bronze-like.
S- Resiney and piney. Smells like a 100 IBU beer.
T_ Tastes like a hop bomb with a clean finish. The 10.4% certainly lends an alcoholic bite to the finish. Not your session beer.
M- A nice medium bodied beer but leaning to the heavy side of the scale. It lends to the drinkability factor as well.
O- Gotta love the sweet Hoptimum release. I still like the Narwhal RIS better.

08-29-2013 05:27:35 | More by BeerAficionadoMCMXC
ksimons

4.13/5  rDev -1%

A-a clear orange with two fingers worth of white head

S-pale bready malts with a large citrus hop presence

T-still have a good amount of malt backbone, but with a huge amount of hops. Citrus and lemon and piney bitterness. Nice alcohol warming.

M-medium body, medium carbonation, piney bitter aftertaste

Overall a really hopped up beer, but still very drinkable and enjoyable

08-26-2013 21:45:57 | More by ksimons
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

4.44/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter, rich orange amber with a short white head that dissipates leaving a little lacing, cloudy

S: very strong resinous hop smell, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, papaya, sweet fruity

T: angrily bitter hop assault up front, juicy fruit gum, grapefruit peel, pine resin, finish is mouth puckering dry

M: excellent feel for style, alcohol makes itself known

O: this is a punch you in the mouth hop bomb, not particularly balanced, SN went over the top cramming as much hop flavor as possible into the bottle without using extracts or oils

08-26-2013 01:41:33 | More by M_C_Hampton
ZionNation

Arizona

3.36/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

this is a good Imperial IPA that I have had several times. Tonight I am reviewing a sample I got in a growler, purchased from Total Wine in Peoria Arizona. Overall I love Sierra Nevada, but Hoptimum, and I like to call it Hoptimonium, you know like Pandemonium, but it's not my favorite from Sierra Nevada and it's not my favorite double or imperial IPA, but still it's pretty good. overall a fresh bottle or can or Torpedo is better. the Hoptimonium just tastes a bit too boozy for me, I will probably buy and drink it again, but I would give it an A minus rating. very good, not great, not world class, Sierra can and does do better.

Serving type: growler

08-25-2013 03:34:21 | More by ZionNation
Somebody_Else

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

This is pretty awesome ale.

I love the fruit flavors of the hops. It starts out with a serious grapefruit flavor but evolves through the 12 oz bottle to pineapple.

The high alcohol content is not manifest in the flavor. I sort of lament the high alcohol because that means I can drink less of this good beer before I become sleepy.

Personal opinion: this is the best beer Sierra Nevada makes.
Yes, I realize it is over-the-top, but that's where I am at this point.

08-24-2013 15:02:30 | More by Somebody_Else
Premo88

3.94/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip

3 183 2 10:53 printed on bottle (born on July 2, 2013)

L: bright orange, about 90% clear; it's not murky, just a slight haze keeps it from being crystal clear; classic Sierra Nevada lacing -- what does this brewery do? it's amazing ... stick from the 1 1/4-inch head and massive lacing on the way down.

S: so many whole-cone hops ... hops! green, green and green -- piney with loads of sweet tropical fruit/candied caramel under the piney hops; mango; as it warms, it goes from the piney/grassy/green note to the sweeter mango/tropical fruit note

T: bitter. it's classic DIPA stuff with a huge bitter bite back-ended by a load of caramel/tropical fruit sweetness. it's almost salty at first, there's so many hops ... hard to explain exactly, but "salty" fits. there's supposedly four different types of malted barley in this brew, but they've got no chance to shine -- it's all about the little green guys.

F: perfect. carbonated out the ying-yang, full midweight that's exactly right without ripping your tongue off b/c of all the carbonation.

O: cannot taste 1 molecule of alcohol despite the 10.4% ABV, so it gets big-time bonus points from me. with that said, it's impossible for me to distinguish the TASTE of this American imperial IPA from all the other American imperial IPAs I've had -- the look is better, Sierra Nevada style, but honestly, almost every beer I've had in this category tastes the same, i.e., like hops.

if you want a good American DIPA, you'll always win with this brew.

08-19-2013 22:44:12 | More by Premo88
labattblueribbon

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

okay, well this beer put me through a few ups and downs. poured from bottle to glass. the smell was lackluster and didn't offer much. the first sip was also less than impressive, no real strong flavors of any kind, sort of bland. the second sip was better offering a little floral and grapefruit. as the beer went on the malt (or maybe the special exclusive hop) was really present and actually offered a fairly well balanced DIPA. lacing was about just north of average. when i let the beer sit on the front of my tongue i got more hops, but overall the flavor just didn't measure up to the "hop bomb" i was hoping for. for a 10.4 the alcohol is pretty well hidden and has a solid drinkability. for me the star of this beer is the mouthfeel. not too creamy, not too thin, but just right in the goldilocks sense, enough to be enjoyable but not too much. would probably buy again, but not until i need a reminder of how it tastes.

08-18-2013 04:01:11 | More by labattblueribbon
Mongrel

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

March 2013 specimen poured into tulip. Nice, frothy, fragrant pour. Nearly two fingers of head with nice lace retention. I was surprised that the body didn't clear up a bit after pouring - it remained a hazy honey amber.

Smell is pretty good - clearly hop forward. Pine and citrus mostly, with a whiff of cool tropical fruit.

First taste packs a punch - cool, fruity hop bitterness, a forest of pine, and that booze backbone. As hoppy as this thing is, it seems both the hops and malts are a bit too thin too cut the boozy heat. This bottle is several months old, so the hops may have faded a bit, and I'm missing more fresh fruitiness to round things out. It does balance out some as it warms, intriguing grape and honey flavors come into the mix.

Mouthfeel is unique to this beer - In one sip it's cool and hot; creamy and then thin; soft yet crisp.

Overall this selection is about what I expected from SN. It's a very good beer, but I recently had it on draft through a Randall with fresh hops, which was a simply magical experience that's hard to top. I'll try and get it fresh next year and quench that never-ending thirst for juicy hop goodness.

08-17-2013 03:15:43 | More by Mongrel
IPA_OR_NOTHING

Nebraska

2.81/5  rDev -32.6%

From the description on the Sierra Nevada website I expected more, in fact I expected something to beat their own Torpedo IPA but instead I found myself drink a hopped up pale ale. All the visual characteristics aligned correctly, strong citrus smell not over powering but enough to get me worked up that something tasteful awaited my palate, good bubbly action that formed a thick foamy head, and a nice orange / copper color. That is where all the good stuff ends. The first Hoptimum I drank sat in my frig for about 7-8 hours, I opened it checked the smell, did a pour to check the color and head. Then took a good pull of beer into my mouth letting it sit upon my tongue for a few seconds, and nothing. No burst of citrus flavors, no lingering bitterness, no sense of drowning in hops, in fact I really felt as if this was a hopped up pale ale, mellow with some flavor. Oddly enough though as I write this I am thoroughly enjoying my second bottle of SN Hoptimum and here is why.
Okay so I screwed up big time, huge, large, massive screw up, I left my second Hoptimum beer in the freezer. I bought a four pack of SN-Hoptimum, chilled a beer in the frig and was sadly disappointed, but it had too much of a chill on so I let it sit to room temperature knowing that some IPAs improve a bit with an increase in temperature, yuck. Well I am not going to let a four pack go to waste and I figured I would drink one last night so I pulled one off the rack and stuck it in the freezer to chill a little quicker, laying it on its side on top of some frozen hamburger. I got really busy and forgot about the beer in the freezer. This morning I hauled a perfectly frozen bottle of Hoptimum out of my freezer. No broken glass, no popped top, no leaky goo. Still not wanting a bottle of beer to be wasted I placed it in my frig hoping it would be thawed when I got home from work. Holy sweet mother of god something happened but that Hoptimum is absolutely freaking fantastic, still has carbonation, still has a great aroma, and best of all tastes amazing. WTF! Did i get lucky, have I messed with some cosmic equation and rewrote the beer laws of physics? I plan on doing the same with the remaining two beers just to make sure I did not have a run of good luck, in which case I blew it on beer instead of at the casino. So the jury is still out on Hoptimum, but if Sierra Nevada wanted my input on their brewing process for their brands of IPA right now I would say this, "Please do not mess with Torpedo and make more of it."

08-17-2013 02:21:07 | More by IPA_OR_NOTHING
dwagner003

3.29/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I was excited to try this after hearing so many good things and encountering so many stores that were sold out. As soon as I opened the bottle, I was disappointed. It immediately lacked that delicious hoppy, citrusy, piney smell that I've come to expect and love from a double IPA.

It smells.. like a good beer, I guess. Nothing particularly overwhelming or exciting, but you can tell this one will have a kick. I took my first sips with caution.

Disappointment. It's a hop head's dream, but that's it. To me, it was just too one-dimensional. All it does it kick you in the nuts with hoppy bitterness. I am having difficultly picking up any other subtleties because my palate is just being assaulted. Not my thing.

Clearly, I am in the minority with this one, as my rating is quite a bit lower than most. But I just don't see how this is so amazing. I'm glad I got to try it, but wouldn't buy it again.

08-16-2013 23:57:01 | More by dwagner003
Smarty_Pints

4.59/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- pours a clear amber with an ample headthat leaves behind a small amount of lacing.

S- pine, grapefruit, good amount of hops and a hint of bananas.

T- nice caramel tones with a good amount of hop flavor with some hints of pine and slightly bitter finish.

M- smooth with a bit of a dry finish and a good amount of carbonation.

O- a great IIpa it isn't so over hopped that you can't get all the other tastes in the beer.

08-15-2013 02:29:15 | More by Smarty_Pints
RaulMondesi

3.61/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Raul heard nothing but good things about Hoptimum; but unfortunately, like Kiera Knightly in general, Raul is just a bit let down. Raul is into the ultra hop presence, but woo doggy is this son of a mischievous woman bitter! And Raul means, bitter! Raul himself would like to see more juice, or a solid malt backbone to even this sucker out. The bitterness just kind of kills Raul's palate like Del Taco after midnight.

08-14-2013 03:26:25 | More by RaulMondesi
brodericksloth

Oregon

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

grapefruit rind, pine, herbs and tropical fruit, nose not as pleasing as you would think
Magnum, Chinook, Simcoe hops
on the bitter side....their stainless steel torpedo does not subdue the bitterness. more than the 100 IBU's they claim
alcohol well hidden; ranges from 10-12% by batch
try Rogue's Double Dead Guy for a toned down version of this searing beer. not for wimps
draft version is still over the top

08-11-2013 19:31:53 | More by brodericksloth
JohnG190

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Pours a clear copper with dense off-white head. OK lacing. The nose of this beer is full of grapefruit and tropical fruit with some faint floral and sweet malt notes. Taste is bitter - on the front, middle notes and aftertaste. Complex hop notes throughout. The malt backbone is just enough to stand up to this hurricane of hop bitterness! Alcohol is there in both aroma and palate but it is subtle. Does not drink like 10% ABV. A medium bodied beer with good carbonation. Overall an extremely well crafted DIPA from Sierra Nevada!

08-07-2013 22:12:29 | More by JohnG190
Ranz

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

From my local Whole Foods on tap in a 32oz growler.

A: In my Firewheel tall tulip, it pours a crisp brown amber color with thin lines of carbonation across the glass. The head is luxurious and full, with good lacing as the imbibed liquid goes down.

S: With the slightest hint of brettanomyces, this has some incredibly strong hop profile on the nose. Mottled, dank pine with a sharp astringency to it; quite presentable. This would certainly spook any hop-detractor.

T: Ridiculously bitter, the taste is not as complex as I would like, but it is enjoyable and easily drinkable, so there's that. The high ABV certainly comes out here as well, and the finish is definably dry and characteristic of the style.

M: Thick and meaty with good syrup qualities, the carbonation makes this silky on the tongue, which is the best quality to this beer.

O: I've had some fantastic DIPAs in my day, and while this doesn't hit the highest ranks, it's still a very solid and respectable experiment.

Serving type: growler

08-05-2013 23:54:47 | More by Ranz
NODAK

Tennessee

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Aroma here really is of a sticky hop bomb. The thick, sweet malt is apparent but there's a huge tropical hoppiness there, with perhaps a bit of pine as well.

Man, this is a sturdy beer on the palate. The taste buds are smacked around immediately here with a huge amount of tropical and resinous pine bitterness....just really overwhelming. Did I mention resinous?? Yeah, that. I have had many DIPA's, and this really is at the top when it comes to sheer amount of bitterness. There's also a sticky sweet malt backbone behind it, likely covering up the huge ABV of this beer....but there's no question that this is one huge beer.

I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but it does seem somewhat out of balance here. I like bitter beers as much as the next guy, and I've had plenty, but this one really throws it into overdrive and I think it effects its drinkability. That said, after having one with its high ABV, you start to mind less and less and it becomes more palatable. And believe me, at 10.4%, it doesn't take much more than one to feel happy.

08-05-2013 00:19:53 | More by NODAK
scotorum

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought this and a twin (which went to IIPA heaven that evening and somehow missed getting reviewed) almost two months ago in Maryland. Bottle neck label dated 2013. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass.

a: Nearly clear amber with lots of carbonation showcased by the narrow base of the IPA glass, inch thick white head receded to heavy surface foam and considerable lacing.

s: Moderate citrus.

t: More an alcohol bomb than a hop bomb, given the 10.4 ABV, but it does not show in the taste. Resiny hops lead the way. Pleasantly bitter aftertaste lingers.

m: Moderate, surprisingly smooth considering the 100 IBU/10.4 ABV.

o: An excellent IIPA, easier drinking than Torpedo. However, not sure the extra smoothness and alcohol are worth paying more than twice the price of Torpedo. OTOH I may feel differently when the alcohol starts working its magic.

08-04-2013 05:10:05 | More by scotorum
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.