Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 02-07-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA Alström Bros

Hopmodium, Apr 26, 2013

Theniz, Apr 26, 2013

bvermilion, Apr 26, 2013

KevinGordon, Apr 26, 2013

Buckeye982, Apr 26, 2013
4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

I'm so glad I stopped by this random liquor store by my apartment to check their beers out. I could not believe that they had the Hoptimum in stock! I'm probably gonna buy some more if they still have some for sale. It's one of the best Imperial IPAs I have ever had. I think Pliny is still at the top, then Sucks, then Hoptimum, then Enjoy By(4.01.2013). That's how good this beer is! My bottle is probably fresh too!

The taste had a very strong hop bitterness, which I love so much! I think they used more hops on this one than a lot of beers out there(minus the triple IPAs). It's a very pleasant hop taste.

It was kindy pricey though. I paid like $11 for a four pack. Oh well, it's so worth it!
Would definitely buy again.

Rainier, Apr 25, 2013

MRAnderson, Apr 25, 2013

LSx, Apr 24, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Hopinista, Apr 24, 2013
4.66/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: a hazy orange with a white half finger head that dissipates quickly. a small bit of visible carbonation.

smell: first smell, surprisingly, was quite sweet. I was expecting an explosion of hops in my nose, but it was more closely related to a sweet citrus followed by some pine notes. very pleasant.

taste: Oh my gosh! Nothing at ALL what I expected, and in the best way possible! This is flat out delicious! The sweetness of honey comes through and it is balanced perfectly by the hop note. A small bit of citrus comes through at the end.

Moutfeel: Good carbonation on the tongue and the right amount of residue in the mouth after the swallow. Once again, pleasant.

Overall: I really wasn't sure what to expect from this 2013, but it blew me away. By far my favorite DIPA. It is a flat out work of art.

alex_hart, Apr 24, 2013
4.41/5  rDev +5.5%

2012 Hoptimum

Appearance-
A hazy orange, quickly dissipating white head.

Smell-
Sweet citrus upfront, with a the slightest bit of caramel.

Taste-
The sweetness is bright, but not sensing a lot of citrus like the nose. The bitter hops really save it from being too sweet. The most pleasant note is a subtle honey that lingers to the end.

Mouthfeel-
My ideal. Clean sharp carbonation, it refreshes, leaves a slight aftertaste.

Overall-
Amongst Imperial IPA beers, this one is up their for the bitterness I find many others to lack.

Rope, Apr 24, 2013

browniewithnuts, Apr 22, 2013

karpems, Apr 22, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Goldish Amber in color. A little hazy and pours with a 3/4-inch head that disipates quickly, but coats on the way down.

S: Citrus, pine, and hops: up front and in charge. Down further, a bit of malt comes through.

T: On the lips it’s mild, with a hint of caramel. On the tongue the tartness of the hops hits, and the grapefruit builds as it moves back. The finish is a full hop bite that lingers, with just a hint of alcohol. The aftertaste is surprisingly balanced, with the tiniest bit of toffee and caramel.

M: Full but smooth. Plenty of carbonation.

O: One of the better I’ve had of this style. More balanced than most, but doesn’t skimp on that full hop experience you’re looking for in a DIPA. The bottle says it uses whole-cone hops and is, “Aggresively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed,” and I can’t argue with the results. It tastes extremely fresh and clean, which makes it incredibly drinkable, especially in warmer months. It’s easy to see why this isn’t a year-round beer from Sierra, AND why it’s so hard to come by when it is available, especially given the whole-cone hopping.

BeerNotes, Apr 21, 2013

Eighty, Apr 21, 2013

BlakeAM, Apr 20, 2013

jreindl, Apr 20, 2013

huskermike12, Apr 19, 2013
3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Ok, so here goes another review. I felt this one needed a review just because it's a relatively low score for such a great brewing company. C'mon, it's Sierra Nevada, one of the grand daddy's of them all! I feel like there was just to much push to have a lot of hops in this beer and it wasn't designed properly with the style.

Appearance: Obviously good, it comes from Sierra Nevada and they know what they are doing. Polished for a high lupulin resin beer. Good carbonation.

Smell: A blend of citrus and earthy hops. Not as pronounced as other DIPA's that I like though.

Taste: Here is where the beer fell short for me. Overly bitter. The beauty of DIPA's is to have the hops shine through from the flavor and aroma, in my humble opinion. This beer was excessively bitter. More late kettle additons and less high alpha acid hops, again in my humble opinion.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel was also lacking as I felt my jaw cringe from the hop bitterness. Not balance enough with the malt sweetness to offset the ever present harsh bitterness.

Overall: Not my favorite beer from Sierra Nevada. Might have to try it again to see if it changes my mind.

seanwilson530, Apr 18, 2013

jwel24, Apr 16, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

VTHopddicted, Apr 15, 2013

smb4087, Apr 14, 2013
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.