Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 02-07-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Rion, Feb 18, 2013

JohnQVD, Feb 17, 2013

sftravis, Feb 17, 2013

tjdrewry, Feb 17, 2013

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

Bernardkowalski, Feb 16, 2013

ChrisMon02, Feb 16, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

ROBSTARR, Feb 15, 2013
4.69/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've been waiting for this one. Poured a nice light golden pale straw with a frothy but not enormous head.

The bouquet was unquestionable. There was going to be a lot of good hops here.

My first taste, I was somewhat surprised. It was Hop, after Hop after Hop, different styles and flavors, but not one of them too much or over the top.
It almost reminded me of drinking three different beers at once.
The taste lingered and left me wanting another sip.

This is a real nice brew for this time of year. I can see myself purchasing many more of these delightful 4 packs

*Retasted this one several times since my first exposure. With each tasting, this beer is getting better and better.

When customers ask about this beer, I tell them it is not a "Hop Head" beer, despite the label. The Hops are they and will stay with you for each sip. Though each sip almost presents another hop variation. A real exciting beer.

02/14/13
This was one of the 4 IPAs I tasted together. One of my other reviews took a previous "5" down just a little. I am doing this here also. Still a fantastic beer, just that when I compare to my best ones this is just a little below

rdilauro, Feb 14, 2013

Flashyspoons, Feb 14, 2013

MisterGrizz, Feb 13, 2013
4.66/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a tan head. Head retention is very nice, but it eventually fades to a thin layer of foam with beautiful lacing. The aroma is pure hops, citrusy and floral with strong underlying pine. The aroma alone is intoxicating. Moving into flavor, lots of pine and very bitter. The bitterness fades for a moment but the pine remains. The Bitterness returns in the finish in the form of incredibly bitter grapefruit with notes of pine. Mouthfeel = Excellent. Low carbonation and a full, almost oily mouthfeel. It coats the mouth with the taste of resinous hops. My only real complaint is that it's not available year-round.

silverking, Feb 12, 2013

CreightonSM, Feb 12, 2013

Phillyz, Feb 12, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

touchmeimsac, Feb 12, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Too bitter for me. I hae tried on numerous occasions and keep longing for a Pliny or HT to wash it down. Generally enjoy iipas but feel this one missed a portion of the balancing act. Wouldn't turn it down but wouldn't seek it out either. Pushing through my 4 pack so I can free up fridge space.

Jae9979, Feb 11, 2013

pengs68, Feb 11, 2013

Bill235, Feb 11, 2013

GRG1313, Feb 11, 2013
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.