Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 02-07-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA Alström Bros

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

2012 version.

A: Very attractive beer. two finger head with decent lacing on a clear crimson with golden hues body. very good retention.

S: I was let down by the aroma. Its good but a little too weak for the major players in this genre. Nice sweet citrus aroma, mostly grapefruit and pineapple.

T: Ridiculously hoppy. The pine dominates this one and certainly lingers on the palate with a slight citrus note sneaking in and out. The malts are pretty much excluded from the flavor by this strong hop flavor and bitterness.

M: medium body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: The hop profile is good and improves as you drink it but the drinkability is affected by this. The malts may be there but good luck finding them. Certainly a memorable beer.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Latest Hoptimum release (bottled day 90) poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a clear bronze-copper with 1 finger of bubbly white head. Decent head retention with spotty lacing.

S - The aroma came through much more as the beer warmed. Aromas of pine, citrusy grapefruit, and sweet bready malt.

T - A big beer for the hopheads, but not over the top with the bitterness. Lots of piney hops, but a nice caramel malt comes through. Lots of fruity notes. Warm alcohol presence. Good, but seems a bit unbalanced. Oily resin from the whole-cone hops coats your mouth, but the finish is dry.

M - Full mouthfeel for a DIPA. Sticky. Moderate carbonation.

O - A big beer from Sierra Nevada. Flavorful, but I think the alcohol burn masks the full potential of the hop/malt balance.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

A - Pours a clear copper/amber with a thinner near white head, retention is fair. A nice ring remains around the glass, leaves a decent lacing.

S - Piney and grassy hop aroma with a hint of grapefruit. Subtle sweetness comes from fruity hops. A little fainter than I would have liked

T - Strong bite up front, a nice combination of piney and mostly citrusy hops. Juicy fruity flavors play with strong bitters which leave a nice dry finish.

M - Medium bodied, appropriate carbonation. All really good here.. drinkable but maybe not quite sessionable. Either way this growler is going down

O - Very bitter, great hop flavors. Malt is hard to find, drinkable for sure, maybe not quite a session beer. Mouthfeel is right where I would want it.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.18/5  rDev 0%

A- Pours a beautiful amber with a nice thick head that remains and laces well as it is consumed. I Like the Head appearance...

S- Slight hint of citrus while pine and orange push through - excellent hoppy flavor.

T- It has a slight edge that shows off the strength of the ABV. Expected - but still slightly harsh. Strong flavor and the flavor moves from smooth to slightly bitter rather quickly.

M- Heavy, but smooths out to nice body with almost perfect carbonation - tasty and one of my favorites.

O- Hop's is where this is at - plenty of Hops and Malt to ensure taste and the 10.4 APV results in a smile every time. Price is nice - but supply is a little scarce. Gobble these up as you have availability.
I enjoy this one and it is on My Short List. CHEERS...

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazed orange body. Thin dirty white head. Spotty lace drops down from the thin frothy cap. Fragrant aroma of citrus and pine oil. Flavor is quite good. I think of hop oils when I drink this. Reminiscent of Hopslam in my opinion. Citrus and pine. Oily. Fragrant. Easty drinking for the A/V. Fairly clean bitterness. This is really good.

3.73/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a clear honey amber color with a finger of creamy white head and a good bit of soapy lace.

Nice pine and grassy hop profile right up front with hints of grapefruit here. A touch of cracker malt in the background giving this a pretty nice balance. The pallet has a nice bitter grassy hop profile with grapefruit and citrus in the background. A little bit of sweetness on the edge with bicuity malts.

The body is full and oily. Good soft carbonation. Overall this one is a pretty solid offering. I'm certainly getting my hop fix for the evening.

3.73/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Clear copper with a big foamy white head leaving huge patches of lace behind.

S - Juicy citrus, grapefruit and pine.

T - Resiny pine that is bitter and slightly harsh. Some grapefruit mixed in with some malt hiding in the background. It's not bitter in a mouth assaulting way but has a sweet alcohol finish followed by a harsh hop astringency that is a bit unpleasant.

M - Creamy with a lingering hop astringency.

D - Very surprised this is 10+ ABV. You get a bit of alcohol but had no idea it is that big. Would prefer more flavor/aroma hops than the harsh bitterness on this one but still a very solid DIPA.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

A- Pours a slightly hazy orange with 2 fingers white/tan head that lingers and laces like a champ. Very nice looking.

S- Yummy pine and citrus hops with a little bit of alcohol, not surprising for a > 10% ABV beer.

T- An exceptional amount of flavor bursting from the seams, if beer had seams. So much malt and so much hops. Finishes bitter with a warming sensation from the strong alcohol.

M- Medium body and carbonation, coats the whole mouth and lingers longer after the liquid is gone.

O- It's a hop bomb for sure, not for the faint of heart. But it's not just bitter for the sake of bitter. There is pllllenty of malt to even it out (I mean come on, 10.4%). On a side note, the price is really good at $10/4 pack. Compared to what you'll pay for hopslam or burton baton and some other top DIPA's this is a steal. This is the beer I live for and it's definitely in my top handful of beers.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum Double IPA last week for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. I missed out on this brew last year so I made sure to pick up a bottle of this years release so I could see what all the hype is about, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's nicely done, looks good, and I found it to be pretty eye catching. It poured a nice golden yellow color and it took on more of an orange color when held to the light. It had three and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down a thick layer that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This is one great looking DIPA, no doubt about it.

S- The aroma starts off with tons of hops, some citrus, grapefruit, and spicy hops aromas show up but it's the floral hops that seem to stick out the most and they dominate the aroma of this beer. I also pick up a little bit of sweet malts that impart a slight caramel and grainy aroma. The aroma is dominated by hops and is pretty nice and unique, the spicy hops seems to set this apart from other DIPA's, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma. It starts off with a big mixture of a bunch of different hops, I get some piney and grassy flavors, some citrusy grapefruit flavors, but it seems like it's the spicy and floral hops that seem to stick out the most and when all those different hops aspects are combined it makes for a pretty unique hoppy flavor combination. I pick up a light amount of some slightly sweet malts that impart a really light caramel flavor and a light amount of slightly warming alcohol. There is a high amount of bitterness on the finish with a bitter floral aftertaste. This was a good tasting DIPA, that had a pretty unique hop flavor, it was really intense and I would call it a palate wrecker.

M- A little oily and resiny, on the medium side of being full bodied, and it had a nice medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and pretty on par for an DIPA, but I wish it went down a little smoother.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, it was one bitter, intense, and palate wrecking beer which is what I want from the style but it was just a little rough around the edges and didn't seem as clean as some of the best in the style. This beer doesn't have that great of drinkability, it didn't go down smooth and the high amount of bitterness made this beer last me a while and I couldn't see wanting another one after this, one is just enough for me, but I did think that the alcohol was hidden well. What I liked most about this beer was that it didn't follow the usual citrus heavy profile most DIPA's tend to have, this one was all about combining different hop flavors together, I also really like the appearance. What I liked least about this beer was the drinkability, this is one of the least drinkable DIPA's I have ever had, it's so intense and bitter that drinking another back to back just isn't and option for me. I would buy this beer again when looking for a really intense DIPA, but I don't think I would buy a four pack, a single is just enough for me. I recommend that any hop head give this beer a try. I thought this was a solid DIPA, but the flavors come of a little harsh and tend to be a little rough around the edges, still a good DIPA, but those imperfections knock this beer out of top tier range. If I had a choice I would chose a Hopslam or Double Trouble over this beer any day. Good job Sierra Nevada. this was another quality brew, which is what I have to come to expect from you guys, you got some skills with the hops that pretty much no one can deny, keep up the good work.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.