Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 02-07-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Even a careful pour might fill half your glass with whipped up foam,creamy eggshell white, excellent retention, takes a good long time for the larger bubbles to initiate dimpling, at the same time, once the head recedes the lacing is glued to the glass sides. Light orange amber colored liquid, sparkle and transparency, yellows some around the rims, only a few, scattered bubbles to be seen. Sweet hop notes rule the nose, sweet pink grapefruit, tangelo, lime citrus, pine sap, then pineapple, papaya, nectarine, apricot fruit scents, likewise has a solid amount of milk chocolate and licorice too, the grassiness displays energy while quite willing to step aside in favor of the sweeter aspects. Medium-bodied, not quite creamy in texture but does have softer give when not expected. Caramel and chocolate take some sting out of pine, lemongrass, green hay hop notes, Odd in that the flavors are sweet, the texture dry and at times biting. More tang in the pink to white grapefruit citrus, lemon too. Pine, black tea, sage and marjoram spice keep you back on your heels. The carbonation possesses enough fluff factor to tame the rougher edges of the pineapple, papaya, guava, nectarine fruit. There just might be a little too much going on here, hard to relax when it's in your mouth.

farrago, Jan 29, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

A_Burnt orange amber in color with a thick off white head. Great retention and tons of lacing.

S_Citrus,pine, and a peppery/floral aroma.

T_Orange,honey,pine and a spicy floral finish. Really warms on the way down.

M_Full bodied,sticky and lots of carbonation.

D_Really drinkable . Very memorable DIPA.

nickadams2, Jan 29, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Got the 24 oz. bottle of this.

Sierra Nevada's IPA's seem to lean heavily towards the malt and this is no exception. In fact, I think it throw it way out of balance. I love the hop aroma and flavor, but the sweet malt hides the bitterness of what's supposed to be a Double IPA, disappointingly so.

Appearance: Nice dark amber color. The head is huge and sticks around forever. The head is barely off-white. It makes for a very pretty beer.

Smell: Sweet malt swirls together with citrusy hops. Light pine aroma follows closely behind the citrus. Strong orange notes accompany the other aromas.

Taste: Major malt sweetness washes over the palate on the first taste. It's way sweet, washing away any chance of a nice, strong bitterness. Big alcohol flavors accompany the malt, but nothing objectionable. In fact the alcohol helps to cut the sweetness a bit. But still, the finish is a little sweet, albeit clean. Hop flavor is definitely present, but tends to be overwhelmed by the malt.

Mouthfeel: Nice, high carbonation helps give it a big creamy smoothness. Slight alcohol warming. No astringency. Medium-full body.

Drinkability: This is a completely subjective term and has no place here.

ferb99, Jan 29, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured into Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Glass.
Man, the color on this one is beautiful. Nice darker gold, with a thin lacing of head that sticks well and creates a bit of froth in the middle.

Smell: The hops smell hearty and sticky. Picking up some pine resin and a little grapefruit too. Has a bit of musk, as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Creamy and buttery!!! Big surprise with that mouthfeel! Very smooth to begin with. Picking up the pine notes and citrus midway. Doesn't have a bit of bitterness associated with most IPA's. Tongue numbing...I guess the 10.4% abv does have that affect, but you cannot tell by the taste of this beer...very well hidden. Has some of that flowery bouquet flavor near the end (tends toward the sweeter side) of this baby. This is the ticket!!!!

Drinkability: So, I bought a case of this knowing I was going to love it, and by all the hype I've been reading through reviews. The "Hype" is real and I'm really glad I decided on buying extras. This will be in continual rotation, until it lasts. When it comes to hops, trust your instincts and go with the brewery that specializes in it! Another Homerun!

July2Nov, Jan 29, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

When I first tried Hoptimum, on tap, last week, it was just something new to try. I wasn't expecting a huge DIPA like this from Sierra Nevada. Wow, this is a really big DIPA.

I really liked the beer, but it was a bit harsher in the tail than favorites like Maharaja. The bottle I have in front of me seems to have fewer rough edges.

A - Beautiful amber orange with slight sticky lacing - slow rising bubbles. Good clarity.

S - Pleasant alcohol and spicy citrus. Like a cordial.

T - Really big orangey, citrus hops. Spicy too. It draws a clean sugar lattice of sweetness on top of a thinner malt backbone and an finishes with an pleasing alcohol swell. I'm not getting the harshness in the tail this time. That could be the days wear of my palette or the fact that I had a Double Dog an hour ago (last time Hoptimum was preceded by Live Oak Hefe).

This beer is all about the hops. It could get a better score if it had some more malt-side flavor complexity. But it is well-executed - no flaws.

M - Nice viscosity. Good carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. No detractors if you are a hop-head.

I will buy as much as I can get my hands on.

WickedSluggy, Jan 29, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -20.3%

Paid $7.99 for a 24oz bottle from Bobby's Liquor in San Jose, CA. Poured into a large snifter to review. This is the January 2011 release and I am tasting it fresh!

Off white colored head of about a half inch consistent of medium sized carbonation bubbles. Rather transparent and light copper in color. Good layer of retention and thick lacing.

Lots of resinous, sticky hops held up by a good amount of maltiness. This is not the typical Sierra Nevada hop profile I'm used to. Hard for me to pinpoint the hop characteristics, my guess is this is a medley of several varieties. Has a very fresh and almost creamy character to the nose.

Flavor is certainly on the balanced side with some of this high alcohol content showing face. Again, like the nose, the hops lack a distinguishable character and in my opinion are balanced too much by the malt. I was hoping for Sierra to showcase their fine profile, but I'm left thinking this is somewhat 'blah.'

Medium body and good levels of carbonation, but overall comes off a bit too watery. Medium length piney hop finish.

While this isn't my favorite offering from Sierra, this is very drinkable and going down very quickly. Glad I tried it, but would recommend they try a different approach on their next DIPA offering.

ibbjamin, Jan 29, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

mmm.... whole cone hops.... pours a rich golden hue, crystal clear with a substantial frothy cream-colored head that slowly fades leaving a thin cap and ample lacing. looks promising.

aroma is subtle at first, growing slightly stronger as it warms. earthy hops, pine, herbal notes... oregano and cannabis? lemon and grapefruit.

taste is of sweet malt, hints of salted caramel, lemon zest. a honey sweetness and a piney dryness. has a similar citric bite as chewing on fresh douglas fir needles. then more honey, malt sweetness. lemon. not much floral or grapefruity... but tasty. hints of alcohol and a salty lingering bitterness. interesting.

mouth is full, sticky, ample carbonation - almost a smidgen bubbly? a touch drying and a good hint of alcohol heat.

All in all, a potent, powerful hop monster. interesting profile, as it's relatively neutral with an herbal and pine potency. Clean, well polished, nicely dry and potent imperial IPA. outstanding and a must try.

djeucalyptus, Jan 29, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a coppery gold color with a massive tan foamy head that produces a generous amount of lace and has nice retention.

Like a plump and juicy fresh hop cone. The only knock I have is that it's not the strongest smell, hence the four.

As expected a big dose of oily, resiny and citrus (grapefruit) hops. Not overly bitter due in large part to the big malt backbone present. Really fresh, clean and crisp. Some noticeable alcohol is present.

Foamy, creamy and frothy. Really a nice smooth mouthfeel from this medium full bodied beer. Very dry on the finish.

I like this beer, but I do not love it. It is a very good DIPA, but it is not top tier and it does come with a hefty price tag. I'm glad to have been able to try it and it is a well crafted beer that utilizes the glorious hop.

jera1350, Jan 29, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from bottle into an oversize wine glass

A: Amber color. Medium carbonation. Minimal head and lacing.

S: Sweet and earthy. Pine and citrus. Wonderful dry hopped aroma.

T: Well balanced. Sweet malts and rich hop character. Not too piney. Strong hops present all the way through. For a 10.4% alcohol beer the alcohol is barely noticed. Full hop flavor.

M: Medium body. Carbonation and and body make for a smooth drink. Residual hop bitterness persists.

D: Much too easy to drink for a Double IPA. Hops are well balanced with sweetness and alcohol is barely noticed.

brianandpiper, Jan 29, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured a beautiful, clear, amber color with a thick and frothy white head to it. The head settled a bit but left some nice lacing as it did.

The aroma has a bright and fresh hoppy citrus to it. Lots of grapefruit with a little lemon and pine. The hops definitely feel very fresh and bright to it. I'm not clear if this was a fresh hop beer or not but the aroma feels like it is.

The taste starts off pretty nice with some bright citrus and grapefruit flavors. unfortunately though the alcohol really starts to come through and gives it a solvent like bite mixed with the resiny hop bitterness. I get some of the bitter pine and grapefruit flavors along with some sweet almost cookie like malt to it as well. The alcohol is unfortunately the biggest contributor in the finish though, even overshadowing the hops for me. It's definitely one of the booziest DIPA's I've had.

The mouthfeel is is medium bodied with a little below average carbonation for the style. The mouthfeel is also a bit slick and boozy. Drinkability is average, it has some nice hoppiness but too much alcohol bite and heat for me. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it were 8% or below. Not a bad beer to start the evening with (split 2 ways), but probably one I wouldn't buy again.

billab914, Jan 29, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -45%

Thanks to loftisCT for providing the dating convention for this beer.

Picked this up tonight (see review date) and I have to say for all the hype and all the other Sierra Nevada brews that I love so much like Torpedo, that I'm disappointed in this beer.

I got the pint bottle and poured into a sparkling snifter and saw that it looks fantastic. Mostly clear with nice visible carbonation, nice warm amber color and white head with serious lacing. The aroma is floral, citrusy, w alcohol. The alcohol dominates this beer heavily which doesn't totally ruin it for me but with the label depicting a black-tie gentleman with a hop bud for a head why, you'd expect to be bowled over with the hops, not the alcohol - you aren't. FWIW, this is a potent brew.

Anyone reading this review please tell me if there's a date on the bottle other than the 2011 on the neck label. Logically, that seems like the date but from the taste, this seems like a hop beer that's been allowed to sit too long.

EDIT: Having been told the convention of the bottle date and this one was perfectly fresh. I've adjusted my scores to remove all doubt (and charitable points). This was a boozy, under-hopped mess. Having poured the remainder of the bottle down the drain, I will continue to enjoy other IPAs.

EDIT for draft: I recently was able to try this on tap and my original review stands. Although this has the potential to be a tasty hoppy brew, it is ruined by the high ABV content. SN, you almost pulled it off but this is just too hot. The original malt is too far hidden and the booze is off the charts. I finished the glass but not happily - and my tongue was scorched. Use this to clean your counter tops.

Hellabeerguzzler, Jan 28, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Drank this in my car while waiting out a snow storm. Poured into a plastic cup I found on the floor of my back seat. Cant get much of the color in a blue cup, but there is a nice pillowy white head and aromas of hops jump right out. Smells awesome, ctaste is clean and crisp with a super hoppy finish. Citrus fruits and pine intermingle, but this is a straight forward hop bomb. Perfect, one of the better over-hopped Sierra offerings.

Tripphop, Jan 28, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Extremely clear, nice white head, stays around for awhile, nice lacing, low to moderate carbonation.

S - Citrus and floral hop aromas with the floral part having some sweetness. Definitely hop dominant.

T - Lots of hop flavor, predominantly citrus, some sweet malt but hops dominate throughout as they should in an IIPA.

M - Moderate body, they did a good job of getting the beer to attenuate which allows it to not feel too heave at the finish, especially with the alcohol warmth at the end.

D - This beer packs quite a hop punch, the fresh hops give it a nice floral character and a sweeter bite, but 22 oz is good enough for me.

steelerguy, Jan 28, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

I really wanted to like this more than I did. Love Sierra Nevada, but this beer is only ok. Pours a clear amber with a nice off white head that has decent retention and leaves decent lacing behind. Smell is heavy on the malt side, with the hops showing themselves as well in the form of pine primarily, but also with hints of citrus.

The smell worried me, as it was pretty malt heavy, and this carries over to the flavor. Simply too heavy on the malt bill for a iipa imo. Caramel and bready malts almost overshadow the hops, which shouldn't happen. The hops are also fairly one dimensional, with a huge lean towards pine. I like pine resin, but I like it to complement citrus, tropicals etc. Mouthfeel is probably the best attribute of the beer. Medium body, nice level of lively carbonation. I'll revisit this, but I was a bit disappointed the first time around.

HURTemHIZZY, Jan 28, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

First of all, the bottle design is kick ass. I love the dollar bill-esk design with the hop in the place of the face. Brilliant!

A - Pours a deep golden brown with a generous, creamy, eggshell-white head. Darker hue than any other DIPA I've seen. Makes my mouth water!

S - Sadly, not as complex as I had hoped. The scents of fresh pine, bright citrus and a hint of alcohol are pleasant once you can pick'em out. I'm used to DIPA's having wonderfully complex bouquets...not so with this one unfortunately.

T - Wow. Can you say Hop-bomb!?! You get some deep smooth malt on the palette right away, then quickly get smacked with very in your face hop bitterness. There is some pine sap, bark, and faint citrus notes. The piney-ness really takes over this brew, and even lingers long in the finish and aftertaste.

M - Almost full bodied and crisp. Not as creamy as other DIPA's so it might turn off some, and make other smile (Neutral difference).

0 - Honestly, it tastes like a glorified Torpedo. Nothing was special about it. I can drink one, but wouldn't reach for another. Hop bitterness is flirting with the line of tolerance. Definitely not worth the $9 price tag.

PreacherBrewer, Jan 28, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Bottle. Lucky to find this at MGM St Loius Park as they only got 4 bottles in. Poured into a New Belgium tulip glass a copper amber orange color with a tight fluffy off white head. Laces while it settles. Sweet citric hoppy aroma in the nose. Very sweet start moves quickly to hard core citrus hop resin flavors with a pretty hot booze flavor. Lingering bitter and booze notes. Medium mouthfeel. Overall, I'm not really impressed with this. It's pretty over the top and not very balanced. I fully understand that the over the top was the goal but still it could have been better.

kbutler1, Jan 28, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

I loved this beer when I drank a pint of it on tap at BC's Pizza and Beer in Clovis CA.

I loved how the head stuck to the glass, I guess you folks call that "lacing", but more importantly I loved that hoppy green floral smell that permeated from it.

Good thing for me that I love hoppy beer cause this beer is golly gosh darn hoppy folks!

I also loved how the hop flavor stuck in my mouth for a long time after I was finished drinking it too.

Ya know what else I loved about this beer folks? The high alcohol content. It made me all happy dappy after drinking it. The high alcohol level was brilliantly disguised by the wonderful and plentiful hops though. I could drink this beer all night long.

I did not take much notice to its color though, couldn't tell ya much about that part of the experiecnce but everything else was awesome.

Very drinkable to me but I love hoppy beers, folks who don't love the bitterness of hoppy beers might not care much for this exceptional brew but I give it a grade A thumbs up!

Bludgeon, Jan 28, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Clear orange colored beer with a small tan colored head.

Smells strongly of pine. Scents of grapefruit, eucalyptus, mint and ginger. Faint trace of menthol.

Starts out hoppy and savory before your mouth can sort out the bitterness. Little bit sweet and herbal with a pineapple flavor. Papaya and a race of garlic and some mint.

Mouthfeel id OK.

Drinkability is OK. This is an OK Double IPA but it just didn't wow me.

Zorro, Jan 28, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

24oz bottle served cool into a pint glass.

Hoptimum is a golden amber color with surprisingly good clarity for such a hoppy style. The head settles fairly quickly but leaves some nice lace behind.

Aroma is very hoppy with tons of grapefruit and other citrus.

Flavor is much the same - extremely bitter with a huge grapefruit presence. You could be forgiven for thinking they might have actually used grapefruit juice to make it. Other elements of the flavor, which are subtle by comparison are very similar to those found in other Sierra Nevada beers like their Celebration. Much of that may be the yeast.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and completely lacking in balance. This is a double IPA gone mad. Alcohol is strong and you can sense it in the mouth. Not quite hot but not far off.

Overall a huge DIPA and one that grapefruit fans will probably love. For me, it's just a bit one-dimensional.

GilGarp, Jan 28, 2011
4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

24oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a pretty coppery color, clear with no visible sediment, nice big pale head that fades and leaves a lot of thick lacing. Smell is powerful. I haven't even brought it close to my face and I can smell the hops, and it smells enticing. I smell pine and spice, lots of flowers. Loaded with hops.

Taste is dominated by hops bitterness, the malty sweetness cannot keep up. Perhaps about halfway through, I'll get more accustomed to the hops and it will seem a little better balanced. The flavors are good.

Mouthfeel is thick and sticky, drinkability is greatly enhanced by the dry bitterness.

---
2012-04-15

This time in a 12 ounce bottle. This is still very good.

snaotheus, Jan 28, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber color with a thick bubbly head.

Smell is awesome, full of citrus and pine aromas. Awesome smelling DIPA.

Taste is bitter up front but fades into an awesome orchestra of hops. The malts take a back seat, the way a DIPA should be.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a medium level of carbonation, very nice.

Overall an excellent beer, I would love to see this more widely available.

pmccallum86, Jan 28, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -55.7%

On draft at London Grille.

Pours a clear golden yellowish orange color with pale golden yellow hues when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger frothy white head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

Earthy hop aroma with hints of pine as well as citrus and tropical fruit. There's also a prominent sweet alcohol aroma which takes away from the hops significantly and a nice biscuit/Graham cracker malt character. Subtle grapefruit and citrus peel but the nose is overpowered by an earthy/soil like and sweet alcohol presence.

Chewy body that's on the fuller end of the spectrum with a blast of earthy bitter hops up front that lingers throughout but fades toward the sweet, hot finish. Slick and oily feeling with a one dimensional hop profile. Very faint citrus/tropical fruit character and again, a way too powerful alcohol presence that kills the better qualities of this beer. Sweet pale malt backbone that lacks the graham cracker biscuit character that the aroma suggested. The ABV is well masked as far as heat is cncerned but there is a lot of alcohol flavor.

This beer is kind of a mess really. Not very hoppy, especially when the palate adjusts to the original earthy pine flavor. Half way through the glass it tastes like a mildly hoppy sweet phenolic failure. I'm a big fan of SN and I was really excited to try this one but it was a huge disappointment. I'm glad I didn't sprig for the bottles.

corby112, Jan 28, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +12%

The sheer amount of recon work one has to do in San Diego to find a reliable beer store makes it near impossible to leave. Tonight, while getting my hands on some Firestone Double Jack, I stumble on... Hoptimum? Dude no way!

The pour is crystal clear and brilliant reddish orange. Head is dense, white, and there to stay. Indeed, even the look of this beer screams "Hop Masterpiece."

Others will no doubt dissect this grand aroma much better than myself, but I'm getting Simcoe loud and clear before the traditional Sierra Nevada blend. I say Simcoe anytime I mean "tropical, mango-ey, Sculpin-like" flavors, for the record. Those are definitely present here, and I'm loving it, especially rounded out by SN's expert use of malt. (Dat grass.) Alcohol is in the room but relatively sedate, showing up once or twice in the delicately chewy mouthfeel and spicy finish.

I can't wait to share a pitcher of this asap and must commend Sierra on successfully establishing itself among the DIPA elite. I knew they had it in 'em.

bohemiandonut, Jan 28, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -12%

From 01/21/11 notes.

a - Pours an orange color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, fruity malts, caramel malts, and light pine.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, pine hops, and fruity malts. A bit bitter.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty nice DIPA. Lots of citrus in the nose, would try again.

mdfb79, Jan 28, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Copper with a redish hue, and unfortunately filtered. Large carbonation bubbles make there way to the two inch frothy head resting above the liquid. Patchy lacing crawls behind.

Piney, resinous hop aromas with some toffee and biscuity malt aspects. A bit of stonefruit also.

Nice, good prickly carbonation, a bit hot in the mouth, well balanced. Herbal, grassy, piney, stonefruit in your face hops on the finish. A tad a floral and citrus in there but on the back end. Cereal type grainy middle with hints of toffee. Big alcohol hurts drinkability.

mcallister, Jan 27, 2011
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.