Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kaseydad on 02-07-2010

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,889 | Reviews: 1,424
3.95/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: wonderfully clear orange-copper, lacking sustaining head, but given ABV, not a huge surprise. A quick swirl brings the carbonation out.
S: having trouble with this where I'm tasting, but seems to be orange in nature, with a sweet grain backbone (need to revisit this on a re-review)

T: starts with some maltiness (brown sugar, sugar cane), but the grapefruit bitterness grows almost immediately. As such, I would probably say this is hop-forward, but there is a significant sweetness initially (to me). This taste overtakes all else 1/4 way into taste (scientific, this is). I like grapefruit notes in my beer, but this to me is overpoweringly one-dimensional, which in this case, doesn't work for me. However, I rated partially on the fact that it promises what it says... 100 IBU.

M: definitely west-coast palate-wrecking bitterness that dominates the mouth in the end. The carbonation missing in the appearance does make an appearance in the taste when it's cold, less as the beer sits.

O: this beer has two likable components to me, a malty front, and a hops bite in the end. Unfortunately, to my tastes, these contrast each other too much in this beer, especially if it's too cold. Of course, the contrast mellows, but the fairly intense grapefruit rind bitterness in the end is a little too much for me.

Note: if you have similar tastes to what I explain, let this warm considerably, you'll enjoy it a little more.

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Great clear orange with a thick head that dissipates quickly leaving some light lace on the glass.
S: Floral, herbal, dank hops. Some light citrus? A bit underwhelming considering the amount of hops involved. Doesn't stick around.
T: Some citrus, good bitterness, strong hop flavor. Alcohol, maybe a bit too much at times.
M: Medium mouth-feel, slightly syrupy, but not cloying. Light carbonation.
O: A good, solid DIPA that won't do you wrong, but not quite up to the hype, IMO. Could be a little more balance. If you really like hops, kind of hard to argue against it though.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a large snifter glass. No discernible freshness date, but this is the 2013 batch, so likely fresh within the last month or so.

Appearance - An aggressive pour yields a one-finger head resting atop a body of glowing orange, with hints of umber. The head dissipates quickly to leave a ring of foam around the edge of the glass and an island of medium-sized bubbles in the center. Lacing is pretty generous as I drink the level of the liquid down. Hangs around for quite awhile.

Smell - Orange zest pushes its way through at first, along with some herbal notes and perhaps a hint of pine, but the aroma is predominantly fruity. After a few smells, I can detect a little bit of the alcohol that is coursing through this 10.5% beer. There is almost a hint of locker-room funk to it as well. Interesting smell for a DIPA.

Taste - The hop bitterness dominates, but rests on a bed of citrus notes. I'm a little surprised there isn't more depth of flavor going on here. I certainly expected more. However, it certainly does showcase the hops, which are present from start to finish, and even linger on after the beer has been long swallowed.

Mouthfeel - Lingering bitterness is actually pleasant, and hints at grapefruit where the smell and taste did not. For lack of a better term, the mouthfeel is "wet", and by that I guess I mean there is a hint of cloying sweetness to it, as much as it makes sense for a descriptor like "cloying" to be paired with a "hint".

Overall, a satisfying beer, but there are a handful of Imperial IPAs that I would pick off the shelf prior to this one. I will say that it's quite drinkable for 10.5% ABV.

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

Finally getting around to drinking this. Snowing hard, its an inside all day type of day.

Pour produces an inch of off white head, thick sudz, leaving a solid cap of retention. thick lace clings the glass. Pale copper color, transparent.
Aroma is a little disappointing though, mild caramel malt and also mild sweet candied hops and herbal spice.

Taste delivers and then some! Is Holy Shit a proper term to describe a beer? This is Holy Shit! flavor.
Starting out quite sweet, mixing with malt explosion and hops that bring bitters, herbal, slight mint and mango deliciousness. No flavor indications that this is over 10% either.
Feel is slick and full with a wisp of creaminess and carbonation balance.
Love it!

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle to a Philadelphia Eagles Pint Glass. I finally get to try this beer after two years of searching and waiting and searching and waiting. I was starting to think Hoptimum was a myth.

The beer slides into the glass very nice like with a penny gold bronzish color. A nice whisp of off white semi tan foam graced the top for a few, than bounced. The beer became still looking after time, no lace.

Smell is very bright with floral hops and some citrus coming into play. Some grapefruit and mango and slight piney note. A nice malty build as well, and yes, the 10% is not entirely hidden. All in all nice, a blend of west and east, BOLD.

Taste is pretty much what I expected, A nice citrus bite with some juicy floral notes as well up front followed by a big malt hit. SN manages to keep the hops at the forefront though, with this huge beer. Alcohol comes out to play in the end leaving a taste in my mouth.

Feel reminds me of Sixpoint resin on some level with the harsh aftertaste. There is some heat while the body is a definite medium, and the carbonation loses steam over time. The hops shine and so does the heat, I could only do one of these at a time. A good beer, but the hype is a bit much.

Had on tap...what what!

A- Pours a orange color with a nice clearness. Two finger beige head shows medium retention. Some sticky lace in the form of sheety lace on the sides of the glass.

S- There is a nice balance I thought between the malts and the hops in the aroma. Starts off with a bitter hops which turns into a caramel malt base. Citrus hops with a hint of something odd..well not odd but kind of like wood. Caramel malts end up the aroma. Hints of fusel alcohol tingle the nose.

T- Bitter hops in the front of the beer to start this one off. Caramel malts come in. This seems to be the same base malts that Sierra Nevada uses for a lot of their beers. The citrus hops come through next with once again the caramel malts balancing it off quickly. Hints of lemon in the ending with the fusel alcohol taste as well.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the beer. Caramel malts with hints of piney hops left on the palate. Fusel alcohol, caramel malts, citrus hops make up the aftertaste. Flavors were extremely well balanced for the style. No real off flavors but the alcohol does get in the way at times. High drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- The ABV in this beer is high limiting the drinkability to this. I ended up having three of these and I caught a pretty good buzz while destroying my palate. A nice beer that might be just a little too balanced for the style.

From bomber to pint glass 1/23/11

A: Clear amber in appearance. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was a Samuel Adams Boston Lager. A reasonable pour yields a massive and creamy 2+ finger head.

S: Alcohol esters are immediately introduced to my nostrils. Once it passes, I am able to detect a modest amount of hops.

T: Again, alcohol is the first to cross the finish line. It's is not well hidden or masked in any way. It's right there for all to taste. Minor malts hints poke their head out, as pine needles prick my tounge a bit as the alcohol passes. Not the citrusy kind I prefer, but rather a bitter hop oil that shivs your tounge on the finish, like a career criminal at Sing-Sing.

M: Certainly Hoptimum's strong point. When the creamline-style head hits my lips, and the beer is poured into my mouth, it feels like 1800 thread count Egyptian sheets on my tounge.

O: I had searched high and low for this one. I've heard it's pretty prevalent in a lot of places, but not around me apparently. So you can imagine my delight to find two bombers staring at me from the shelf of my local Whole Foods.

I would say that Hoptimum gets a thumb up from me, absolutely, though I do not consider it to be in the upper echelon of DIPA's. But without question it's rockin' a nice, upper-middle class lifestyle with 2.5 kids and a Beamer in the driveway.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

12oz single, $2.99 from the Village Pump. This *finally* made it here, eh? Bottled the 90th day of the year, consumed the 156th day of the year.

Amber with a dense, choppy, off-white head with excellent retention and nice lacing, this is a great-looking DIPA. The nose has a wonderful, full, complex hop aroma that, while slightly deteriorated, is still great. A great blend of aggressive pine, grapefruit and a fairly mellow fruitiness (peach, melon) and a moderate floral character. A mild sweetness is noticeable, as is the alcohol. That said, it's definitely not at the 10.4% level.

The palate opens with quite a bit of bitterness, taking me by surprise. Full, resiny, bitter pine and grapefruit with some ripe oranges as well. Moderately floral and fruity, with the sweeter flavors melding in with the malt profile. I do get some caramel, but there's also a mild bready, biscuit-like malt presence. This pairs very nicely with the floral and fruity flavors (particularly the peach). Mildly sweet and moderately resiny on the finish, this beer is medium in body and moderately carbonated. The alcohol is a lot more noticeable on the palate (and your sobriety) than on the nose. Despite being sweeter than I typically like, this is very good. The sweetness does make drop the drinkability a little bit, though.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Pours a clear copper with about 1 finger of sticky, off-white foam. Sweet fruit and floral notes on the nose, including grapefruit and mango. The sweetness is balanced well with a dank, piney aroma. Medium weight, and a pleasantly creamy mouthfeel. Floral notes up front on the taste, followed by an ever-increasing bitterness. Some fruit notes, but not much. The taste is primarily dominated by a hoppy bitterness that really comes to life on the back end. Finishes creamy and leaves behind a little alcohol burn.

Overall, pretty good. I'll admit that this beer didn't live up to the hype for me. Obviously, this beer is meant to be an in-your-face barrage of hoppy goodness, and I think it achieves that. However, I feel like there's a fine line between pushing the limit and brewing a beer that's a gimmick. I'll stick to Torpedo and Hop Hunter.

3.93/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Notes: Bottled on date 04/17/14. Poured into a nonic pint

A: Golden color with small storms of carbonation rising up. The head is a 1 finger "Brick" of super dense white foam. I think if I dropped a quarter it would rest on the head instead of sinking in. I poured it several minutes ago and none of the head has receded.

S: Citrus fruits and pine needles.

T: I get two things up front bitter (but not over the line) and butter. That is the taste I got on the first sip - butter. After the first sip I start to get much more of the pine needles character. There is a dry finish with that butter taste again. There is an overall sweetness to the beer - it is actually quite sweet and I think that balances the bitterness of the hops well.

M: It is tart and dry almost a pucker factor. There is no sense of carbonation on the tongue.

O: This begins a big run of IPAs for me. I want to explore the style more. This beer says "Imperial" but does not list the ABV (I didn't look it up first). I assume that it is 9%ish - but I am not feeling any heat at all. The sweetness makes it very drinkable - I can't take something that is too bitter. I'd like to have this fresh on tap - I bet it would be even better. That being said this is a solid beer. I am enjoying it.

Thanks kawilliams81!

A- One inch off white head on a clear light ruby red body. Well above average head retention and very nice lacing as well.

S- Juicy citrus smell, somewhat bright.

T- Hopbite is more pungent than the nose would lead you to believe. More citrus in there as hops overpower the malts in there one. Never would guess this at 10.4%abv, probably closer to 9%

M- On the thicker side for a double IPA. Adequate carbonation.

D/O- A palate wrecker for sure, Hoptimum stands with some of the most pungent dank hop DIPA profiles out there. Worth a try if for hopheads who need a new fix.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

A 12 fl oz bottle packaged on 10th April 2015 and poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Poured a clear copper colour with a one and a half finger white head that slowly dissipates into a thin foamy layer that lasts throughout.

Aroma: Strong piney hops and a light citrus grapefruit aroma. There is also some caramel malts.

Taste: Mainly pine hops and grapefruit citrus flavours along with some slight caramel malt which is sweet and sticky. There is also some alcoholic booze aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, medium carbonation, creamy and sticky.

Overall: I really liked this beer and its hoppiness. It’s very close to a must buy for me. I think the two things that hold it back for me are that the caramelly flavours make it a bit too sweet and the booziness that comes through towards the end is stronger than I would have liked it. But having said that, I would buy more from time to time.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

A- Very nice deep gold with a good inch of head that sticks around for a couple minutes.

S- Intensely piney hops with a good candy-like malt backing.

T- Huge hop flavor upfront that all but overwhelms the palate. The bitterness doesn't wait until the finish to manifest itself; it's there from the start. A little malt comes through at times with a buttery cracker character that balances out the pine sap of the hops and adds some richness. Finishes quite bitter and dry.

M- Medium-bodied with a good level of prickly carbonation.

D- The alcohol is pretty well-hidden, but the bitterness, the richness, and the overall strength of flavor limit the drinkability a bit. It's still very good and I'll have no problem finishing the bottle.

This is a very good IPA and a good choice for those looking for a major hop fix. It's very Sierra Nevada in character; if you don't like the hop profiles of SN's beers, then this one is not for you. If you do, however, then I highly recommend this beer.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

I have to say when i poured this beer I was in love until i tasted it...i still thought it was great, just wasnt in love anymore. Pours golden in color with rocky white head with great retention and lacing. Smell is amazing, I came so close to giving it a 5 but i always hesitate with the 5's. Amazing fresh hops, seriously has that smell of a hop leaf in your hand. Some alcohol and malt but mainly just those fresh citrusy hops. Taste I felt was a little heavy on the malt side. A little sweet. I know you need to up the malt and sugar to achieve something of this ABV but it just seems as though there are some DIPA that are a little more balanced. Mouthfeel was fuller and had a very velvety feel. Overall a great beer and the ABV is hidden pretty well. I would revisit.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

We pour a richly colored brew of deep golden-orange. It holds a one finger head of variously sized bubbles. This recedes at a medium pace to leave thick lacing and massive bubble islands around the top of the drink. The carbonation looks standard, but the streams rise slowly, suggesting a thick and syrupy brew. The last dregs from the bottle produce tiny bits of sediment. The aroma explodes with huge grapefruit hoppiness. There is an additional fruitiness, of apricot and tart nectarines. Flowery sweetness and notes of honey also float about the nostrils. Malts are there for the balance, but are otherwise only lightly contributory. As it warms the booze beings to seep out. As we sip, as in the nose, the first thing to pop is the hops. They are both bittering and souring and, here, overpower most other flavors. The grapefruit from the nose is muted a bit in the taste, as the hops flourish with deeper earthy notes, with floral tones. There are syrupy notes of raw honey up front as well. Moving to the middle brings more bittering hops and clean malts. This peaks and we move towards the finish, and into the cleanest component of the taste. The hops, again, are floral, but not as muddled and earthy as in the start. The final wash is a tidal wave of fusel alcohols, leaving a sting to each sip. The aftertaste breathes evenly, split between huge bittering hops and booze. The body is medium to full and the carbonation is light. There is a thick syrupy creaminess to each sip, and a nice froth builds up. The mouth is left a little dried, but mostly puckered by the bittering hops. The abv is up there and heavily warming, but appropriate.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the strong highlighting of fruit in the nose. The hops lent a gorgeous citrus grapefruit character, and the inclusions of other, lighter fruits put another angle on the beer entirely. There was a unique tartness lent by these additions. Where we lost points was in the bittering hops, which by the end became quite intense, especially as the beer warmed.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

The classic clean filtered golden hue with a nice frothy off-white head.

Apricots, citrus, pineapple, grapefruit. Running the gambit of the piny citrus hop flavors. A bit of sweet honey malt to compliment.. def wouldn't say balance. Very exceptional smell.

They weren't lying about the IBUs floral herbal intense hop flavors blast the palate. The sweet grainy malts are present. A bit of the oily hoppyness too. A touch of cinnamon burn from the alcohol Taste is good. I don't know about quite up to the par of the aroma.

Good beer not quite great they absolutely nailed the aroma, but the bitterness overpowers a bit of the other flavors. There's a good creamy mouthfeel. I was a little let down, but still a solid offering.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

Hoptimum pours a dark orange, with some amber highlights and an inch of off-white head that clings to the glass. Sweet caramel tones quickly give way to BIG aromas of floral, piney, and citrusy hops, hints of resin, orange, grapefruit, lemon and grass make for a BIG nose. The BIG hoppy flavors of citrus, pine, and grass all carry over onto the pallet before blending very well with a sweet caramel malty backbone, hints of alcohol linger in the finish. Hopitumum is well balanced for a staggering 100 IBU brew, and features a medium-full body and moderate levels of carbonation. BIG, BOLD, Delicious!

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours an expected amber with little head. Smell of hops is off the charts. Hops punch you in the mouth in a way that the malts can't help soften the blow. It would be tough to have a second helping of Hoptimum, but that's kind of the point.

This should satisfy hop-heads nicely.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

A cross between golden and orange, it pours with a frothy 1 finger head. Doesn't last too long, but laces well.
Sweet and fruity nose, full of tangerine, pineapple, and a faint hint of alcohol.
Sweet and juicy at first, then a wave of pine/citrus bitterness hits you and later meshes with a noticeable alcohol burn to provide a crisp/bitter lingering finish. Sweetness/alcohol is accentuated as it warms.
Medium body, a bit oily, nice carbonation.
Wasn't blown away with this one. It was a nice DIPA, nice hop flavours and bitterness, I just wish the alcohol was a bit less noticeable.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

Had this on tap at Toronado's Beer Camp night during SF Beer Week.
Made at Beer Camp #19 and 10.4%. It had members from Toronado, Zeigeist, Pi Bar, Barclays and the B Street Bistro. It's an Imperial IPA with pale and Munich malts, Simcoe, Chinook, Citra and Magnum hops. It poured a yellowish brown. It smelled of lemon citrus, hops and grass. It tasted light with some bitterness, some sweetness but not too hoppy.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance-Three finger white head. Bright orange/amber color.

Smell-Sweet malts, boozy, and tropical fruit.

Taste-Sweet and malty are the first two things that stick out to me. Hops give a tropical flavor, mango, pineapple, and some grapefruit. Initially this has some big bitterness, but as it warms up the malt presence subdues the bitterness significantly. Some slight alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied and some stickiness especially as it warms up.

Overall-A great dipa and at a very good price tag. Only downside is its a tad too sweet as it warms up and loses some balance. (89/100)

3.91/5  rDev -6.5%

around $3.50 for a 12 oz bottle at Ale Yeah. Bottled March 14th, 2012. Julian dating. Poured into a dogfish head snifter.

a- pours an amber orange color. lots of tiny bubbles rushing to the top. about 1/4" of a white, creamy head that maintains throughout. thick lacing.

s- subtle scents of pine, citrus, sweet orange (candy-like). not much else.

t- piney and bitter hops, with lots of grapefruit. some spicyness. settles out into slight sweetness, a bit malty, and the alcohol is present but mostly noticeable by the (prolonged) warmth as it goes down.

m- medium bodied, well-balanced for the most part, some boozyness is there. ends with a dryness.

o- i enjoy (D)IPAs, and this one was great. i would purchase again depending on price per 4 or 6pack.

My first time trying this beer. Bought a few 24oz. bombers

A- Poured into a Maudite Tulip glass... A beautiful creamy off white 2 1/2 finger head floats on a pumpkin orange, highly carbonated brew. The lacing drips away cleanly leaving almost no residue.

S- Pine and citrus... Grapefruit and lemon... peaches and a hint of honey sweetness. Very hop forward! Many layers going on here!!!

T- Honey and pineapple on the front of the tongue, bitter hops and pine overwhelm the mouth. Lots of grapefruit pith. Citrus keeps popping all over the mouth, but bitterness really hangs in there! Picks up more fruit as it warms up.

M- Very bitter finish that lingers and lingers. Astringent and piney resinous! Kinda overwhelming!

D- Dry and hoppy like most CA IPA's... Decent citrus fruitiness. Subtle sweetness that doesnt hang around long. Looking forward to finishing this one off.

3.91/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Served up a clear, bright, bronze-plated body topped by an inch of white foam.

Smell: Initially, the nose isn't very aromatic at all, though, given some time to warm, it eventually comes around. After some minutes, you're given a sweet-scented aroma with a rather forward whiff of lemons. Lighter hop hints of meadow flowers and white pine.

Taste: Sweet-tasting pale maltiness with hints of almond sugar and wildflower honey. As it warms, a very faint basic breadiness develops in the taste and aroma. Pithy, citrusy lemon peel hop character with additional accents of flowers and resinous pine. Boldly bitter, though the sweetness does make a modest comeback late in the taste. Still, it does manage to finish both dry and bitterness. Lemony taste lingers into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-light carbonation.

Drinkability: I dug it, though those who don't appreciate a notable malt presence and sweetness in their DIPA's might not care for this one.

3.91/5  rDev -6.5%

Nice DIPA with a raw and assertive hop side.

Presentation: 24 oz brown capped bottle. A typical Sierra shape but with an entirely different label setting it aside, at least visually from all of their production. Green illustration, slightly cartoonish and tongue-in-cheek. It offers the take on a romantic portrait where Hoptimun, the gentleman naming the brew, is depicted with a whole cone hop head. Notes vintage as 2011, and 10.4 Alc. by Vol. Served on a tulip glass.

A - Clear pale to medium amber pour, with a rich 1" frothy head, good retention, lacing, and surface memory.

S - Not too fragrant early on, in fact it takes it a bit to offer a hint of what the flavor is holding. Hoppy touch, resinous, pine, very herbal dash, which...

T - Comes very strongly in the flavor. The herbal side at first, urine-ganga like, is quite intense, it flows never leaving the hefty hoppy sense to pine, resinous touches, with a dash of citrus, sweet malty note barely holding it in the back.

M - Medium-full body with good and carbonation, a bit oily, with a boozy touch, that is well balanced for a brew of this kind.

D - Nice flow to a hefty and rather herbal sense in the hop side. It all comes together with dexterity if one is eager for dive into the hop experience.

Notes: Nice to see Sierra doing this range, a bit unusual in the marketing and change in the image projected but welcome nevertheless. Plenty of different hops, some framed as "propietary" but reminds me quite a bit to what Oskar Blues achieved just using Summit hops, right ? on their Gubna, which had a similar cat/herbal/ganga/piss side to it. This is nice and very recommendable if one is into hops.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.