2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 02-07-2010)
Ratings: 4,264 | Reviews: 1,239 | Show All Ratings:
eagles22

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: wonderful clear amber body with a nice white fluffy head

Smell: loads of pine and grapefruit and some pinapple in the background

Taste:all citrus and piney hops!! very little malt backbone, nice and bitter and nothing sweet at the finish like hopslam. this is a beast of double!!

Mouthfeel: very rich and oily

Drinkability:easily going to finish this bomber, but thats it.

its one hell of a double IPA

01-27-2011 00:23:47 | More by eagles22
Mebuzzard

Colorado

A very nice drinking beer. I'm not quite sure what a whole flowers add to this beer, but it's good anyway.

Pours a bright orangey-yellow, perhaps golden color. A soapy, semi-dense head with solid lacing.

Floral and citrus aroma, light biscuit, some green twigs. Fairly strong.

I get a simple sweetness all through the sip, but doesn't seem malty. Kind of honeysuckle or sweet floral...maybe that's the whole cone? Anyway, not very piny, mostly soft citrus. Clean and crisp.
A tad light, but easy drinking.

01-26-2011 07:45:42 | More by Mebuzzard
leedorham

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours orange with a white head. Head is thick but disappears quickly to form a thin ring. Not much lacing.

S - Powerful bouquet of hops. Pine, oranges, grapefruit, some acidity. Beautiful and strong aroma.

T - Some booziness. Strong malt backbone with grapefruit hop flavor. Quite a bit of sweetness behind the hops and just a touch of caramel character.

M - Rather light and refreshing for a beer of this magnitude. Slightly viscous with a fairly high level of carbonation.

D - Overall a very refreshing beverage for what it is. Not being a sipper makes it a bit dangerous.

01-26-2011 04:58:32 | More by leedorham
whoneeds8

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a maudite tulip glass a transparent burnt orange with a two finger white froathy head. Great lacing all the way down the glass. There is a presence of piney hops and carmel on the nose. The taste is masked by alcohol, but when I can get that out of the way I find a bitter hop taste that goes directly to a carmel flavor. The carbonation is very high that leaves a tingle long the inner cheeks of my mouth. Not too bad, nothing that takes away from the beer. The alcohol is blatently strong however, but that really should go with the style.

01-26-2011 02:03:15 | More by whoneeds8
nas5755

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

A - A clear golden beer with deep amber hues, a nice head with good retention

N - Heavy navel orange citrus and a decent malt background

T - A heavy orange citrus punch with other citrus elements blended into the beer, a nice heavy malt background, a thick pine bitterness follows. Almost to much going on to detect the nuances of the hops. A pleasurable beer that I wish was drier and a bit cleaner on the malt note.

M - Lots of hop resins, nice carbonation

D - A very big beer, too much malt and heat with the hops for my pleasure. A nice beer and I'm glad I got to try to it. Not quite a west dipa, but a dipa non-the-less with some serious balance for such an aggressive beer.

01-25-2011 23:52:37 | More by nas5755
adrock7309

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Acquired a bottle from a local Liquor store.

Poured into a generic Bruges snifter from crate and barrel.

Lost of fluffy pale head which clung to the sides as it faded slowly.

Tons of citrus and piney hops on the nose and absolutely no hint of alcohol up front.

Taste was similar - very citrus and piney grassy hops. The beer was very sweet as well - not quite cloying but the sweetness was a bit too overpowering for my taste. At this ABV, I wasn't totally surprised by it however.

Mouthfeel was great, nice and full bodied and wasn't a beer you could gulp.

Overall, I am glad I was able to try it fresh but at 9.99 for the bomber, and with access to Surly and Hopslam, there are cheaper and IMHO, better choices out there.

01-25-2011 23:46:36 | More by adrock7309
loftisCT

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

Big bottle served in a red wine glass. Bottled on 351 day of 2010 and drink Jan 25, 2011 so alittle over a month old

A: Pleasant amber color and crystal clear, not a huge head because of the wine glass but whats there stays around well, additionally lots of little bubble coming up, looks well carbonated

S: You definetly smells like a Sierra beer with that sharp caramel backdrop. I swear I can get some kinda dirty, yeasty flavors from most of the Sierra beers but its prolly my imagation. The hop aroma are not as pungent as I was expecting but still very nice. I get an aroma I would describe as musty that I am not used to, with a nice sweet cirtus and some tropical fruits. Pretty boozey with lots of esters, maybe a little too boozey.

T+M: A little muddled on the palate. Flavor starts off with the hop flavors apparent in the nose over a backdrop of caramel malt. The malt really comes in the middle though and the flavor takes on a very sweet sugary sweetness. Too sweet for my liking in an IPA. The alcohal adds some really sweet and fruity flavors as well before before a nice sharp bitterness comes and dries the flavor out. Love the sharpness of the bittering finish but the alcohal lingers in the aftertaste. The sweetness in the middle really gives this beer a full body. The carbonation I thought would be there is actually pretty light. These too together make this beer a little heavier on the palate than I generally like DIPAS.

D: A nice experience but my not favorite beer. The lingering alcohal and heaviness on the palate hurt the drinkability for me. I was hoping this beer would be a little more hop centered but glad I was able to try this.

01-25-2011 22:58:52 | More by loftisCT
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

From bomber to pint glass 1/23/11

A: Clear amber in appearance. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was a Samuel Adams Boston Lager. A reasonable pour yields a massive and creamy 2+ finger head.

S: Alcohol esters are immediately introduced to my nostrils. Once it passes, I am able to detect a modest amount of hops.

T: Again, alcohol is the first to cross the finish line. It's is not well hidden or masked in any way. It's right there for all to taste. Minor malts hints poke their head out, as pine needles prick my tounge a bit as the alcohol passes. Not the citrusy kind I prefer, but rather a bitter hop oil that shivs your tounge on the finish, like a career criminal at Sing-Sing.

M: Certainly Hoptimum's strong point. When the creamline-style head hits my lips, and the beer is poured into my mouth, it feels like 1800 thread count Egyptian sheets on my tounge.

O: I had searched high and low for this one. I've heard it's pretty prevalent in a lot of places, but not around me apparently. So you can imagine my delight to find two bombers staring at me from the shelf of my local Whole Foods.

I would say that Hoptimum gets a thumb up from me, absolutely, though I do not consider it to be in the upper echelon of DIPA's. But without question it's rockin' a nice, upper-middle class lifestyle with 2.5 kids and a Beamer in the driveway.

01-25-2011 20:58:21 | More by Rhettroactive
myatomicpolygon

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance- violent pour into my tulip resulted into nice billowing white head that eventually settled down to a finger or two. Great lacing throughout, copper amber color with golden highlights when held up in the light.

Smell- I absolutely love the smell of this...grapefruit rind, pine, and floral characteristics with a sweet malty undertone

Taste- As expected nice and bitter with the pine and grapefruit rind really dominating the profile with a good balance with the sweeter malts and a great dry finish. Good taste but I definitely prefer the smell.

Mouthfeel- crisp dry and refreshing with a medium body and a slick mouthfeel due to the hop resins

Drinkability- I drank the whole bomber without any problem. For the hop lover this one should be easy to drink but the price, high abv, and limited availability certainly makes this one a special occasion beer

01-25-2011 16:45:35 | More by myatomicpolygon
trevorjn06

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear copper/golden color with a fluffy white head that stands for awhile, then recedes and leaves thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is pine, grapefruit, citrus, grass and fruit... with more pine... Very complex hop aromas. A bit of toasty/bready malts pokes through.

Taste is smooth for the 100 IBUs and 10% ABV, quite impressive. Starts withcitrus and toasted/bready malts on the tongue then transitions into smooth malt flavors mingling with strong hop flavors of grapefruit, lemon, grass, pine and a mild pungent element. Towards the finish the hop bitterness really steps in and brings floral and earthy elements with it. The finish leaves biscuity, toasty malts and wonderful hop flavors on the tongue with a hint of alcoholic heat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium/low carbonation and a smooth feel to it.

Overall this is a wonderful IIPA, very well balanced. I need to go look for more so I can drink this more than once in my life.

01-25-2011 03:39:39 | More by trevorjn06
gford217

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

24oz bottle.

Pours a deep, crystal clear amber with lots of bubbles sream to the top and feeding an impressive thick head that shows excellent retention and lacing. Great looking pour.

Aroma is heavily hopped and full of citrus and pine but also with the distinctive citra aroma which is a combination of herbs and white wine.

The taste is more of the same with white grapes, juicy pineapple and pine coming through. The finish is hoppy and astringent with the alcohol being felt pretty heavily. There is also that interesting floral earthy character that I'm noticed in other citra-hopped beers.

The mouthfeel is excellent, close to full bodied, with sticky hops leaving a seriously astringent, bitter finish.

Overall, it's a solid effort from SN and really heavy on the hop astringency and alcohol burn which limits the drinkability a bit. Getting through a full bottle of this is no small feat.

01-25-2011 02:40:48 | More by gford217
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

24oz bottle $7.99. I was excited to try this beer but the price tag was a little higher than I would expect from Sierra Nevada. Orange color, decent head and lacing. The smell is hoppy but nothing spectacular. The taste was disappointing, lots of bitterness and lots of alcohol. The mouthfeel was far too astringent. This was probably the first Sierra beer that really disappointed me, I wontbe buying another. This was like an amped up torpedo, not impressed.

update 03-9-2012

Picked up a four pack and I liked it much more this year. Nice juicy and hoppy aroma. Flavor was thick with hops and a little astringent but It was well worth the $10 I paid. Need more.

01-25-2011 01:48:37 | More by ArrogantB
BuckeyeOne

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24 oz. bottle into a Nonic pint glass an amber color with a significant white head that held for a long time and left a thick lacing down the glass.

Smells like earthy and citrus hops and alcohol. There's some ripe fruit in there plus some sweet malt. Quite complex in aroma.

The flavor is a big hit of herbal, citrus, and pine hops and alcohol. This is hot. I got the hops very much up front, followed by a layer of caramel and biscuit from the malt, with a strong kick of alcohol in the back. Finishes quite dry.

The mouthfeel is heavy and oily with an alcohol burn. The 10.4% is apparent, not hidden at all. A good amount of carbonation to hold up such a blast of hops, malt, and alcohol. A well-crafted, bold DIPA. Well done Sierra Nevada. I expected nothing less.

The significant presence of alcohol distracts from its drinkability. I got alcohol flavor and burn and the buzz from less than the whole bottle.

EDIT: I've had this on tap several times since the bottle review. I definitely did not get the boozy burn on tap that I got from the several bottles that I had. If re-reviewing from the tap, I would increase the overall score upward.

01-25-2011 01:32:58 | More by BuckeyeOne
frognot

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

Appearance: Clear golden orange with a finger and a half of cream head with sticky lattice lacing

Smell: Lots of citrus, mostly oranges and pineapple.

Taste: Crisp with a pronounced bitterness but was a bit surprised that it registered 100 IBU. It's got a bite but not that much bite. The frontal hop assault prevented me from tasting the malt until half-way thru the glass then it kicked in (or maybe it was a little hop fatigue).

Mouthfeel: Medium with good carbonation.

Drinkability: The ABV is 10.4% but hidden. The malty sweetness combined with the sweet citrus hops was a palate burner and prevents the desire for a second glass.

01-25-2011 01:23:55 | More by frognot

Pine and citrus
Oily, alcohol is present but it is 10.4% abv
Nice head
Very nice lacing
Finish is dry but not too dry

I am a west coast hop head but to me this brew is not too bitter
This brew is true to what Sierra Nevada is, if you like SN you'll love this, if Hop Bombs are not your thing then you will not like this.

This is a great next step after torpedo.

Malt is minimal but does a nice job of providing balance.

01-25-2011 01:12:24 | More by HopDiggityDawg
vtfan77

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Very nice deep gold with a good inch of head that sticks around for a couple minutes.

S- Intensely piney hops with a good candy-like malt backing.

T- Huge hop flavor upfront that all but overwhelms the palate. The bitterness doesn't wait until the finish to manifest itself; it's there from the start. A little malt comes through at times with a buttery cracker character that balances out the pine sap of the hops and adds some richness. Finishes quite bitter and dry.

M- Medium-bodied with a good level of prickly carbonation.

D- The alcohol is pretty well-hidden, but the bitterness, the richness, and the overall strength of flavor limit the drinkability a bit. It's still very good and I'll have no problem finishing the bottle.

This is a very good IPA and a good choice for those looking for a major hop fix. It's very Sierra Nevada in character; if you don't like the hop profiles of SN's beers, then this one is not for you. If you do, however, then I highly recommend this beer.

01-25-2011 01:09:36 | More by vtfan77
the1DarkLord

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Described as: "a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put --Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas."

Does it live up to the name? I have always loved Celebration and Torpedo IPA for being two beers out there that know how to showcase hops and let the malty sweetness take the backseat.

So let's see how this goes here...

Almost clear goldenrod with a slightly honey-tinted head that lasts and blesses the glass with lots of lacing.

On the nose, is a nice mixture of earthy, spicy, pine needle dusted forest floor along with some bright tropical fruit like mangoes, papaya and even a hint of pineapple.

I always fear that a new IPA will not be unique enough to stand out with so many great IPA and IIPA options nowadays. This one is not so. What I find interesting about this one is that the malty sweetness that typically balances out the hop flavors comes right up front, then the flavor turns to resiny hoppy goodness.

I like this. Alot.

What starts out almost chewy and caramel-like quickly fades to an explosion of diverse hop flavors. it goes from piney and earthy, to oily citrus, to resiny and tropical. The aftertaste lingers on the bright tropical note which helps to make this beer extremely drinkable.

This is one great IIPA, and I would gladly buy this quite frequently... If it wasn't $10. I understand the elevated cost of ingredients and such that went into a beer like this... However, the end product [for me at least] is not any better than some of the other great IPAs I love (Pliny, Just Outstanding, Pure Hoppiness, Sculpin, etc... for less $$ as well).

Thumbs up Sierra Nevada!

01-25-2011 00:18:22 | More by the1DarkLord
Pipmeister

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Shared this beer last night with a friend and roomie Peprsprayoface after picking it up from Total Wine in Tustin.

The look of the beer is pretty awesome with a nice orange golden hue, good clarity and decent head with a good amount of lacing as you sip.
The smell right away is a mixture of citrus, pine and cat piss.

The first sip and you are made well aware of the mouthfeel. It has a very thick mouthfeel to it that makes it very pleasing but also making one glass good enough as seems to get thicker as it warms.

The taste is very well balanced with a good upfront malt sweetness that slowly turns into a stong bitterness as you sip.

Overall a good beer to share, but one is enough for a night.

01-24-2011 21:38:06 | More by Pipmeister
hosehead83

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a bomber bottle that resembles a bigger, fatter version of SN's standard "stubby" bottle, into a standard pint glass.
Clear, copper/gold in color, with a moderate head of foam.
Aroma-A bit underpowered, subtle, grassy, citrussy hops.
Taste-Sweet toasted malt,citrus peel, definite hop bitterness. A bit unbalanced towards the bitter side of things one sip, and the next a bit of the malty sweetness. Flavors seemingly exist seperately rather than melding together for balance. Still, a decent effort, but better DIPA's are certainly out there.

01-24-2011 16:56:28 | More by hosehead83
Donnie2112

Alaska

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

poured into a Brooklyn Imperial Pint glass

Appearance: Good looking Double IPA. The beer is amber in color with nice cascading carbonation and huge fluffy white head and nice lacing as it's drunk. Could only be slightly better if the lacing were more even and the head was retained better.

Smells: ALL citrus, Mandarin oranges, lemon, lime, grapefruit. The nose is a bit lacking, I just want MORE of the good hop aromas

Tastes: Very nice flavors, some crystal malt but not a lot, mostly a dry hop focused beer. Huge citrus hop sourness, lots of notes of lemon and grapefruit. Delicious stuff, I would prefer a little raunchier hop flavor, but I'm a Simcoe guy

Mouthfeel: Highly astringent, oily, medium-heavy body and medium low carbonation.

So good, I mean the hops could be a little dirtier but this is just a delicious citrus bomb. The malts are fine if you ask me, the bitterness is appropriate, but it just needs more aroma and flavor hops.

EDIT: I came in and changed a bunch of stuff because upon second look I was much less impressed.

01-24-2011 07:39:48 | More by Donnie2112
madvermin

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Pours a beautiful clear amber with a one finger off-white head that retained not too well and left a bit of lacing on the glass and in the beer.

Smell is intense, even when I popped the cap off this one pine and citrus was immediately recognizable. In the glass, pineapple is the strongest fruit, with some mango in there too, combined they kind of form that jackfruit smell which I find quite distinct. Piny hops are also really strong here, and while there is a bit of a caramel malt in the background, this basically is hops through and through, with pine present throughout.

A bitter rush pervades the mouth upon first sip, with citrus of mango and pineapple really strong, along with a bit of peach. Malt comes in late, with some honey sweetness to balance the hops, but really this beer is all about the hops and pine.

Finishes a bit more bitter than other DIPAs of similar strength, but is plenty clean and VERY drinkable for the 10.4% abv. Get this while you can.

UPDATE: after having the whole bomber (my roommate didn't find it to his taste) at the very end it was like having pinesol, it was so piny. Gotta downgrade the drinkability, but then again, who the hell is going to have a whole bomber of this anyways.

01-24-2011 06:14:56 | More by madvermin
AdamBear

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

A-a translucent dark honey with a good amount of cream colored head and lots of bubbles

S-a very, very strong scent of piney hops. its very bold scent. you could smell this a mile away

T-oh my, this beer is like a punch in the mouth! it comes in with a very, very strong blast of sweet piney hops. it then transforms in to an almost overwhelming bitterness that touches every part of your mouth almost like a really spicy dish. there is a good alcohol burn towards the end. i haven't experienced a good kick like this from an IPA in a long time! Bravo, Sierra Nevada!

M-quite striking due to the bitterness. i'm having a difficult time focusing on the mouthfeel. there's a medium carbonation thats creamy. the finish....is just completely bitter.

D-i poured half of the bottle for me, and the other half for my girl friend. after a few sips, she gave me her half...much to my excitement. its a rare occasion in which a beer makes me feel as content as this one did. the price is expensive, but honestly it is so worth it in my opinion. I want to have this again and again...wow such a fun beer this was!

01-24-2011 05:09:41 | More by AdamBear
julian

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

A: light coppery color with some dusty like hazing. Modest showing of mostly white bubbly head that disappears quickly, leaving little to no lacing.

S: Huge citrus aroma, sweet and hoppy on the nose.

T: Excellent. Sweet and malty, nice and hoppy (but not TOO hoppy..which is crazy given its 100IBU). Kind of a caramel like sweetness, orange citrus grapefruit bittering.

M: creamy, smooth, sweet up front, and a nice bittering from the hops on the back end. Excellent.

D: This is an easy...very easy drinking IIPA. Can there be a session IIPA? Maybe. If so, this is definitely a top contender.

01-24-2011 04:46:43 | More by julian
billshmeinke

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured into a tulip.

Clear burnt orange body. A fluffy white head. Retention is quite nice. Very pretty looking beer.

Nose is daaaank. Like snoop dogg/sticky icky icky dank. Some oranges/tangerines as well.

The taste is similar. Dank, resin, oranges/orange rind. Kinda like an amped up SNPA, but with more going on. Hugely flavorful and over the top. The alcohol is very present, and makes no attempt to hide. Also, it is a bit solvent like in the finish.

Really huge bitterness with smooth carbonation that provides a nice bite. Lingering hop oils. Alcohol and abundance of hops makes this bad boy bitter and hot.

An interesting DIPA. The whole cone hops definitely affect the flavor, and lead me to a draw a comparison to SNPA except an imperial version with some orange rind flavors and the bitterness cranked up to 11 and while we are at it crank up the heat to around 11 as well. I'm not gonna lie, the combination of heat and somewhat solvent like finish made it difficult to go through a whole bottle.

01-24-2011 03:53:12 | More by billshmeinke
scottfrie

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

24oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a dark resinous amber with a huge cream colored head that took forever to recede into a greasy film that left streaks of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: A mix of fresh tropical fruits, pine and grapefruit. Very sweet and almost floral actually.
T: A lot more sweet and syrupy than I was expecting. Hops are full of citrus and pine sap. Very resiny tasting with the bitter citrus coming through in the finish. Notes of orange cream popsicle. Aftertaste is sugary sweet and slightly leafy.
M: Super thick body, syrupy mouthfeel, and low bubbly carbonation. A lot heavier than I thought. Alcohol is noticeable but not really warm.
D: Not quite what I was expecting. Given SNs other hoppy beers I was surprised how thick this was. I liked it, but it's not their best. DFH comes to mind, or something else sweet like HopSlam. Well done, but not my favorite.

01-24-2011 03:26:55 | More by scottfrie
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.