30th Anniversary - Fritz And Ken's Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

30th Anniversary - Fritz And Ken's Ale30th Anniversary - Fritz And Ken's Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: bigbelcher on 03-13-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 30th Anniversary - Fritz And Ken's Ale Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

A - Thick, well layered head which was maintained throughout. Extremely dark.

S - A lot of malt, but not overpowering. Also detected a decent amount of smokiness

T - Chocolaty, coffee taste with the smokey aftertaste; one of the better stouts I've had.

M - Very smooth; a lingering malty aftertaste in the back of the throat for a long time

D - If I hadn't been driving I would have had the better part of the 750ml bottle

Absolutely great stout, especially for the price ($9.99). I'm really looking forward to the other 30th anniversary beers Sierra Nevada has in store this year.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Pours a dark chocolate with a small amount of light passing around the edge of the snifter. Three finger of a caramelized crème brulée head. It has a transitory nature, composed of small, medium and large diameters. Thin trails of lacing left along the side of the snifter.

S: Big roasted malts with traces of campfire, and medium roast coffee.

T: More roast malts up front with semi sweet and dark chocolate, with some espresso residue. Not overly sweet; it's actually quite dry with some leftover hop bitterness that persists. Definitely a generously hopped RIS. I am really content with what is coming through here. The alcohol is pretty muted but is present on the exhale.

M: This is a thick creamy beer, syrupy but not too sweet. Very lightly carbonated. Leaves my lips sticky.

D: I mean, with these double imperial/RIS beers you know you aren't drinking more that one. I wish I had a partner to finish this one with but all of my friends are beer wusses. I am enjoying this immensely though. It reminds me of my morning espressos. The coffee and chocolate don't remain on the palate as long as the hops do, which is too bad.

I just started cellaring beers and have one waiting for another great evening. I assume the hops will fade out a bit and the alcohol may cool off a bit but maybe that is just the alcohol talking.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Had this bottle held for me down at From the Vine in Columbus, thanks Jaimie!

Appearance- Pours pitch black out of the bottle with quite an active head for an imperial stout. Almost three fingers of medium brown head rises up in my snifter before relatively slowly dying back to a healthy coating across the top of the beer. Small amount of lacing left as I drink.

Smell- Smells rich and hearty. Lots of dark burnt malt, char, and burnt coffee coming off this one. A little bit of a sharp whiff of alcohol detectable in the nose as well. Smells big.

Taste- Lots of bold flavor. Starts off with a lot of burnt roast characteristics, with some burnt coffee bean and bitter chocolate as well. Surprising amount of detectable bitter hops as well mixed in. Finishes with a bite of alcohol.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is solid for the style, being pretty thick but with good levels of carbonation. Drinkability is a bit low because of the harshness of the finish on this one.

Overall, a solid stout with lots of big flavors. I didn't think however that it was the most well integrated stout that I've had and may benefit from a bit of aging to take the edge off of it. Would like to try to snag another for that purpose.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

Very attractive brew. Black and opaque in the glass with a fluffy brown head that's more than happy to be here.

Smells old school to me, with earthy coffee roastiness, some woody hops, and a hint of smoke.

Burnt espresso on the tongue. Earth, wood, charcoal, pine, dark cocoa, and a certain mineral character as well. Smokey, or ashy, I guess would be more like it. It's dark and very dry with a bitterness that hangs on for a second in the finish. I really love how dry this is.

I will certainly be picking up a few more of these to age. Recommended.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

On-tap at Samuel Horne's in Folsom.

A - Poured deep black with 3-fingers of mocha head. Dissipated slow and left nice lacing. Some carbonation is present.

S/T - Chocolate, medium roast coffee, herbal/flowery hops, and some bittering hops as well. The taste finishes with roast barley and smoke.

M - Malt dominated, full-bodied, and finishes slightly dry.

D - Great overall. No taste of alcohol. Would liked to have had more hop bitterness as this is an American style.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark black with a nice smoky caramel head.
Smells of hops, like sierra pale ale, but with a kick from the malts.
Tastes chocolatey and bitter, not pale ale bitter like the smell would make one suspect but stout bitter. Yummm.
Creamy consistency and not much carbonation make this a great stout.

Another interesting collaboration.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sample tasting at a local beer event served in a champagne flute.

A: Dark black with a thick creamy brown head.

S: Picked up some sweet bourbon-like tones in the aroma.

T: Lots of roasted malt coffee and some chocolate flavors

M: Creamy mouthful, full-bodied

D: Worthy to pick up a few bottles -- should age well. Very nice sipping beer -- what you would expect from an Imperial Stout.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance- thick black tan foamy head, very impressive head really dazzles you, very pitch black with no light what so ever coming through on this one, this is one big bad looking stout

Smell- slightly smokey, roasted malts appear, slight hop smell, hints of very dark chocolate on the nose, but very overall smokey almost burnt smell,

Taste- wow, very complex flavor profile on this, it continues to shift thru your first sip to the finish on your palate, starts out with a sharp bitter hoppiness and then becomes more of roasted malt flavor on the mid palate and finishes off with an extremely strong smoked flavor, very rich and complex flavor that goes on for a long time, slight dark chocolate can be noticed but overall some strong bitterness mixed nicely with some malts too, overall the finish goes on for an extreme amount of time, I would love to see what some age does to this beer but the flavor is already really impressive

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with a bit of carbonation, decently creamy and smooth

Drinkability- I really enjoyed drinking this beer, its an amazing sipper and one that the flavor lingers with you long after each sip, but its just so nicely balanced that it makes you crave your next sip, this is one I highly recommend stocking up and seeing what some age can do for it, but also this is a very special one time beer that is certainly worth grabbing if you can, rich complex and worthy of the beautiful packaging and the names the bottle bares, great beer

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

25 oz. bottle,

A: Pours black with a frothy tan head, gobs of lace, great retention.

S: Sweet roast, chocolate, light molasses.

T: Dark chocolate is the main flavour for sure. Some residual sugar with a light smoky, meaty, gamey flavour which added another layer of complexity. Quite hoppy as well, with notes of pine and wood.

M: Smooth and creamy, frothy as with the head. Full-bodied.

D: This is tasting great, but I can see that some aging could benefit this and make it more malt forward. A damn fine effort.

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

Zowie: what a beer. Beautiful black color with a balsa-wood-like head that provided light resistance. Loads-- and I mean loads-- of smoke in the aroma and the distinct smells of chocolate and ham. Not just any ham, but a well-salted, smoked ham. Some bitterness in the nose as well,. Smoky taste akin to that found in a rauchbier, but the ham... the ham... I've never had such a wonderfully hammy, smoky beer. Although it's a different style, it's on the same level as beer from Schlenkerla. Some powdered cocoa in the taste, finishing rather dryly with just a light bite from the hops. But to hell with all that: this is ham in a glass. Exceptional, and worth keeping one or two in the basement for later. This is not just an A-plus beer: it is in fact the rare A-fucking-plus beer.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml bottle, goblet, and I don't see any dating surprisingly.

This could be the standard for Imperial Stout visual excellence. An opaque molasses black body with a coffee foam head of two inches initially, falling to a quarter inch. Great retention and promising, nay excellent globular lace.

Not the most intense nose, but strong notes of espresso, spicy hops, very dark chocolate, and dark or chocolate caramel candies. To me it smells distinctly like oats were used in the recipe. I just smelled some saltiness as well; possibly as if this liquid bread were buttered with salted butter. Graham crackers.

Espresso and chocolate with spicy, black pepper and leafy hops. Dark rum molasses flavors are hinted at when the alcohol becomes modestly apparent as a result of warming.

Mouthfeel is exceedingly creamy and almost perfect in my opinion.

For a beer this size 4 is the maximum drinkability score I feel I can give. This is a big solid stout with a great mouthfeel that isn't worth the $10 a bottle to be entirely honest. Good but I hope the rest of the 30th Anniversary releases are extraordinary.

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

A= Huge pop of the cork with loads of gunsmoke coming out. The pour is jet black with a nice two finger head on it. The head is a nice mocha color with tiny bubbles holding some of the best retention and lacing I've ever seen in an Impy Stout.

S= The smell isn't the most impressive I've ever come across for an Impy stout. I get some nice sweet maltyness but nothing like I expect from a stout. The roast in minimal as well as the darker coffee chocolate smells. Sort of a nice brown ale smell.

T= The roast flavors come through a lot more in the taste. One of the roastiest Impy stouts I've had. Really interesting. Most Impy stouts I get these days lack roast and have more malty sweetness to them but this is a ton of nice roast and coffee tastes. Impressive indeed. There is a little hop bitterness to it.

M= A little on the lighter side. There is a nice coating feel to it.

D= Pretty nice and impressive for the style and the fact that it's a collab from two of the biggest pioneers in brewing is awesome. Happy I got to try this one. Could drink a lot of this is I was looking for a roasty stout.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

This beer pours very dark practically black with a thick dark tan head.
It has a chocolately bitter roasted grain smell.
It has a very malty sweetness with a chocolate/coffee bitterness of roasted grains and a good balance with hops.
The mouthfeel is pretty smooth.
Not the most drinkable of beers but most stouts are not intended to be. I think a little age will do this beer a lot of good in that department though.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Wow, this is a serious stout and not for the weak at heart. The beer pours a very nice, full, creamy tan head with lots of retention and lots of lacing. The nose is sweet malts, cherry chocolate, dark crystal malts, maybe at touch of spice and ABV.

This stout is literally beefsteak in a glass. This beer is so thick, chewy, carnivorous, dark, roasted, and charred malty that it really is in a class by itself. The ABV is well hidden. The beer is extremely salty, with lots of spice, a goodly portion of leafy hop, and plenty of warming ABV to make this a very special stout. It is very unique, very strong, tasty, creamy and smooth, with none of the defects so commonly present in an Imperial Stout. This is a one of a kind stout, very worth seeking out. The mouthfeel is leafy hop and the aftertaste is the beefsteak imparted throughout the midsection. L'Chaim.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Fantastic beer from a great company.

Wow got finally got this today was worried that it would not make it to Maine.

It is really worth seaking out it is a fantastic stout.

This is creamy, great smell great taste. I am sure this will age well. It's not the best stout ever but as stouts go this is a must have !!!

I would recommend to anyone.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

On-tap at the Blue Tusk in Syracuse, served in a 10-oz mug for $7.50. Wow, this tastes like burnt, roasted blackness. Wait that doesn't make sense. How about this brew has the most roasted grain flavor of any beer in memory. Otherwise it's a rich, chocolatey RIS with molasses and espresso. The 10-oz serving was just enough and I wouldn't mind having a second. It's not too thick, it's full-flavored, and it's a little different (more roast). This one's a winner/

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap at the HorseBrass last night

The beer pours a blackish brown color with pretty good head retention and considerable lacing all around. On the nose, I get a significant amount of licorise, coffee and roasty sweet malt, along with some light dark chocolate. Flavors replicate the nose pretty closely, but I'm impressed by the amount of flavor and richness this beer delivers. The beer is fairly sweet, but the decent dose of hoppy bitterness counters the sweetness nicely, and gives the beer a bit of coffee grounds finish. Mouthfeel is not quite as full as I was expecting, but there is plenty of flavor and the beer has a long, drawn out finish. Drinkability is OK, though I detected a bit of heat from the alcohol in the finish, which along with the sweetness and licorise, detracts just a bit from this beer's drinkability (I mean, the abv. is over 9% after all).

Not exactly mind blowing, but nevertheless, this was a pretty solid beer I thought from Sierra Nevada.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

I bought two bottles of this a couple weeks ago - one to drink, one to age. Finally got around to opening the one "to drink". Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown-black with ruby-brown edges. I was surprised by a slim, 1/2-finger head, but the lacing more than makes up for it with gobs of foam sticking all over the glass.

S: A very elegant, intricate nose. Bitter chocolate, tobacco, roast espresso, vanilla, and dark fruit with a slight hint of citrus.

T: Smoke and espresso up front. Other flavors that mirror the nose - chocolate, sweet vanilla, etc. Big, bittersweet malts. The finish is unexpectedly hoppy and dry: piney hops offer a little twang and depth for the luscious maltiness on display here. The hops never overwhelm or upstage the other flavors though, they just provide a nice unassuming foil to the smokey and bittersweet profile. It could benefit from some age, but as it is, I'm really enjoying the hop presence as it doesn't step all over the malts. I'm actually kind of speechless...there's just an extraordinary unity of flavor here.

M: Smooth, creamy texture...not syrupy, though. Good amount of carbonation that never becomes obtrusive. Some faint warmth from the alcohol. Top notch.

D: A definite sipper. Nonetheless, I think I want more. I need to stock up on this before it's gone.

This is just a refined, well-crafted imperial stout. It's not extreme or boundless in its flavors, but it doesn't aim to be. It finds a perfect balance between ambition and restraint. Sierra and Anchor, the grandfathers of craft beer, embody this balance and it shows in their brews. I could not think of a better way to celebrate 30 years of craft beer than with this marvel of an imperial stout. Bring on the Imperial Helles!

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

I had a recent craving for some Anchor Porter, only to find my Kroger store isn't carrying it at the moment. This Anchor, SN collaboration may be the perfect substitute.

Anchor Porter was the beer that got me into the big league, being the first really classy brew I ever tried. It was my favorite for some time, I was amazed at how dark it was.

SN 30 pours pitch black into my pint glass. Too hard of a pour leaves a 6-7 finger brown head and I have to wait for it to slowly recede before I can finish pouring my glass. Partway through my glass, I transfer to my weizen glass to compare darkness with AP. SN 30 wins hands down. AP will show ruby highlights in the neck of my weizenglass while SN 30 is pitch black throughout.

Sweet milk chocolate aroma with a bit of citrus. The most vanilla I've ever smelled in a beer.

Big roasted taste. Dry on my tongue at first, but soon developed a bit more sweetness. Plenty of bitterness in the end with citrusy tartness as well.

Smooth and creamy with a nice (but slight) bite. Alcohol feel is very noticable in the belly early on, but settles down later. Full-bodied. Great flavor retention.

After a slow start, this beer really comes together. It gives me a feel approaching that of Firestone 13 (my current favorite) An elegant brew in the end.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

From the classy label artwork, fantastic wire cage and natural cork topped bomber packaging, the cascading pour that settled into a pitch black body and a gigantic khaki head, this beer was visually perfect. The aroma was not overtly stout like, as the hops were the first thing evident, there were notes of toffee, vanilla, and chocolate under that blanket, and everything was melded oh so beautifully. The taste was another "oh my gosh" moment as the sip revealed a flavor profile worthy of a king's feast. Toffee, coffee, vanilla, raisins, licorice, chocolate, and possibly even banana flavors raced past my tongue with each sip, and amazingly none dominating the other. Silky smooth across the palette with nary a harsh edge to be found. What a beer this is. I got to get me some extra bombers to lay down. A fantastic way to celebrate the 30th anniversary. You remain a class act Sierra Nevada, with your original vision undiluted despite tremendous expansion.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a deep black with decent tan head that starts big and settles quickly with a very slight minimal amount of lacing.

vanilla, chocolate, coffee, roasty maltiness in the nose, *nutty -- rose???? think this rose may be some sweetness

Taste - very roasty, almost smoked malts not really much of the caramel sweeter malts I experience in many stouts - dark chocolate that's almost powdery - vanilla - coffee/espresso - a bit of an alcohol burn and some bitter ever so slightly cirtusy hops. Slightly too smokey for my taste but I'm a stout lover and I must admit I do enjoy this, molasses dark syrupy bitter-sweet.

Very thick and smooth stout a bit bitter with warm alcohol warm.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a solid black with a huge creamy tan head that takes forever to recede.
Smells of milk chocolate with hints of roasted grains and coffee. Slight twinge of caramel or toffee and a sweet smokiness there as well.
Taste is roasty and chocolaty up front follower by a bit of a piney citrus hop bite that segues into a lingering almost smokey roast and hop bitterness in the finish.
Creamy mouthfeel, medium body, medium to high level of carbonation for the style.
Great Imperial stout. Its a bit hoppy for my taste, but everything works well together. In a couple of years when the hops have died down I will revisit.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Just a great looking beer as it patiently waits for me in my DFH snifter. Gorgeous dark, dark brown color with a deep tan colored head on top. Mildly metallic like aroma-somewhat grainy and astringent. Deep, mellow espresso and dark chocolate like flavors abound. Very grainy roastedness to it. Slight floral hop bitterness-just enough to notice. Grainy and dry body. Overall a decent beer but lacks the umph of a great one. This is my 3rd or 4th bottle and in the long run it is not all that impressive.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in a Two Bros. Domaine Dupage tulip. I would like to note that the packaging on this bottle turned out looking really sharp.

A: poured a deep pitch black with 3 fingers of brown head that reduces about 1 cm. Leaves a thick coating of bubbles on the sides of the glass.

S: huge earthy hops and incredibly bold and robust malts, notes of bitter coffee, lots of dark chocolate, some licorice, tobacco, and lots of bittering hops. The balance between the roasty malt profile and the big earthy hops is quite interesting and complex. This smells great.

T: the front of the palate features the earthy hops which quickly turns into one of the boldest and darkest roasted malt profiles that I have experienced. This has all of the features that I like in an imperial stout, and that starts with the roasted barley and coffee notes.

MF: the body is incredibly smooth and silky while being thick and viscous, makes for a great mouthfeel...low carbonation, everything works well with the flavor profile

D: Wow... this beer is a winner! I expected nothing less from a collaboration that involves two of the pioneers of craft brewers...but until now, I have never had an imperial stout from either Anchor or SN. I must say that this is greatly successful.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

pours a jet black with a medium size brown head, and good lacing.

smell is of some pine, some cocoa, and a little coffee.

taste is of cocoa, coffee, malt, and a little licorice, ends dry with a little bitterness.

overall a very good imperial stout.

30th Anniversary - Fritz And Ken's Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.