2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Almond Marzen Project - Beer Camp #26 - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

The Almond Marzen Project - Beer Camp #26The Almond Marzen Project - Beer Camp #26

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-03-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 9 | Reviews: 7 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by magnj:
magnj

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

A - ruby brown, mostly clear. Lacing is sticky.

S - in a bar and freezing cold tap so its hard to tell but its roasty and malt forward.

T - roasty and chocolate up front, ends with a slight candy caramel. Totally un-marzen imo.

M/d - full body but not sticky, really easy to drink, odd as an oktoberfest yet idk what I'd call it? American marzen.

09-19-2010 02:43:57 | More by magnj

12-19-2011 03:35:59 | More by Halcyondays
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

Amber appearance, remarkable clarity. Kinda that boring biscuity nothing happening nose to it. You'd have to search to call it nutty.

Additionally, the taste was largely bland, minor residual sweetness, at no point could I discern anything 'almond' about this beer. These 'hints of marzipan and almonds' are at best hints, I found them to be nonexistant. Really just came off like a sweet Marzen/Oktoberfest with nothing unique in the mix. Seems like the almond addition was nice in theory, but it didn't show up on my palate.

Drank at the Sierra Nevada 30th anniversary party.

06-21-2011 18:21:44 | More by Beerandraiderfan
mcgwire756

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Had this at The Tap Room inside the Somerset Hills Hotel back in July.

Pours a light brown with a slight head and moderate lacing. No strong smells to speak of. What I can pick up is a nutty pilsner smell. The taste is a very subdued nut ale taste. Like a light Oktoberfest. Very light though. I honestly cannot taste any almonds. With how rare this beer is, I was expecting it to be a little different. It drank very smooth, and I could of had more. However, nothing very unique or earth shattering.

02-10-2011 18:29:30 | More by mcgwire756
armock

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Poured an amber color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a nutty nose with caramel malt

T - Has a very nutty flavor with some caramel malt

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - I liked this one a lot the blend of a nut brown with a marzen worked out great I could drink a number of these in a sitting a must get if you see it

10-31-2010 19:09:22 | More by armock
TwinLightTap

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

I just had the pleasure of placing this rarity of a beer on tap at Twin Light Taphouse. Produced during Beer Camp at Sierra Nevada. Locally produced almonds were added during the fermentation of this Marzen style lager.

Poured into a pint glass, the beer has a copper color and held a short head for about 30 seconds.

There was a slight bread and sweetness in the nose. The body was light and clean with tastes of toasty malts and almonds. This is a very drinkable beer and hope that SN produces more beers like this one.

08-05-2010 20:07:34 | More by TwinLightTap
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Out in Northampton at the Sierra Grill with Jlynn, Zapps, and C pie. Apparently the owner had something to do with brewing this beer.

Almonds were actually used in the brewing process? Cool... how many grams of protein does this beer have?

Clear amber in my pint glass. Not much head or lacing. Me and C pie had the balls to order while Zapps had something much lighter and more resembling a hydrated pee color.

Taste was a refreshing light bodied amber ale with a spicy finish to it. A slight almond kick throughout.

Nice balanced mouthfeel with just the right amount of hops and malt to back it up. One was enough but it left me feeling satisfied.

08-01-2010 02:55:40 | More by DNICE555
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

COOP Matt sent out the email today letting us know this rarity was going to be available at Bitter Creek.. I scored a growler for me, Inflatablechair, and Ditmier. I was making fajitas, so invited the boys over... buckeyeboy was out of town and missed out.. but he'll get his share soon I'm sure.

reinheitsgematt and Dave K. participated in the Beer Camp program at Sierra Nevada.... They helped come up with this recipe... Pretty cool for sure. I know almonds are used in this brew some how, but I'm not quite sure how.

Poured into my smaller stemmed tulip... 2" off white head leaves great lacing.. crunchy lacing.. the brew is crystal clear amber.. no orange.... no red.. just quality amber.. pretty.

Nose is traditional Maerzen territory.. toasty malts.. some biscuity elements.. really clean.. surprisingly clean.. for this time of year, I am impressed that there are no yeasty aftermath problems.

Flavor is again pretty nice.. toasty and background spicy hops.. good malt depth.. still on the palate, this is very clean and I love a nice lager.

For the style it is medium with a medium carbonation.. rich for the mild ABV..

REALLY happy this wasn't overly hopped.. in fact, I'm very impressed this is about perfectly hopped.. subtle and almost reaching...

I have no idea where the almonds come into play... I actually eat alot of almonds.. I have a tin at work in my desk just for chomping when I want a snack.. but I get no almonds... cool.. gimmicky.. and I could certainly be missing it.. but overall, I dig this brew and wish SN did more German lagers.... summery and wonderful.. clean and toasty... yummy... I still have at least a nice pint to go!!!

Sorry Eric... Not entering this one into RB.. Have fun amigo. :-)

4/4/4/4/4.5

Serving type: growler

07-03-2010 07:08:11 | More by JohnGalt1
The Almond Marzen Project - Beer Camp #26 from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.