Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown AleSierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 07-25-2010

Tumbler is our take on the classic brown ale – full of roasted malt flavor but delicate on the palate and perfect for crisp fall days. Layered with notes of chocolate and toasted bread and a hint of smoke, Tumbler is the ultimate autumn beer, so grab a seat and watch as the leaves come tumbling down.

2014 - Available in Fall Variety Pack (no longer available standalone)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,059 | Hads: 3,120
3.89/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Chico, CA.

Chestnut brown coloring, with ruby edges, under a slim, white head.

Aroma: soft, slightly sweet, malty and nutty. Bit o' cocoa, too.

Taste: There it is, all those sweetish and warm malty flavors have come together on the tongue. Medium bodied, low bitterness, semi-sweet finish. A tasty brown ale that hits all the right notes, and delivers everything it ought to.

I don't reach for a brown ale often, but I don't mind reaching for this one.

hey, is there gobbledygook on the label? Something to tell me why it's called "Tumbler", of all things? "Tumbler features freshly roasted malt straight from the kiln to give it a gracefully smooth malt character perfect for an autumn afternoon." What about the back of the label? "Tumbler is our take on the classic brown ale--full of roasted malt flavor but delicate on the palate and perfect for crisp fall days. Layered with notes of chocolate and toasted bread and a hint of smoke. Tumbler is the ultimate autumn brew."

Ah! I get it! Tumble=fall=autumn! Ha, good one. Kinda. (1,108 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A clear dark dark brown with a thick beige head and laces on the glass all the way down.

Smell: Malty with a hint of chocolate, not very strong

Taste: Malty with some hops, chocolate, and nutty hints.

Mouthfeel: So smooth, almost like cream. Well carbonated.

Overall: One of my favorites from Sierra Nevada, would have it again (371 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz bottle, part of our 'Build Your Own 6 pack'.
Pours a clear, dark tan color with a light brown head. Foam settles but never disappears leaving thin lace rings.
Smell is of toasted caramel malt.
Taste is of toasted bread, some chocolate, touch of bitterness at the end. As it warms, a bit of smoke character also comes through.
Good level of carbonation, crisp finish, medium body.
Overall, a nicely made brown ale. Fit for the cool weather outside. (455 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6.5%

Served in my Sierra Nevada pint glass.

Appearance (4.25) : 4 fingers of bubbly, foamy head, beige in color. Body is a beautiful honey brown color and I wouldn't change a thing about it. 40% opacity.

Aroma (3.75) : Hop aroma comes out immediately, with ginger and graham notes faintly tailing. There's some bourbon notes, some honey notes, and some barrel aged wheat going on too. Bouquet is medium strength.

Taste (4) : Definite hop flavor first, but then a wonderful malt bomb comes and evens everything out like a California earthquake. In case you didn't know, I like malty beers. In the swim of it is cookie, rice, hop leaves, chestnut, and dirty honey. It is very easy drinking, and I think it tastes great.

Mouthfeel (4) : A perfect dash of carbonation sits above a creamy mouthfeel to balance everything out. It really is a great combination for this brown ale.

Overall (4.07) : Would I buy this again? OH YEAH! I'd buy it in a sixer and drink it over the course of a month. It's a very tasty, easy drinking, flavorful brown ale and I'm sorry I waited so long to try it. Good job, Sierra Nevada, this ale is a winner! (1,130 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

Probably my favorite Brown Ale to date. Malty & sweet, but well balanced by Sierra Nevada's liberal hopping practices. Deep rich brown in color. I agree it goes quite well with a brisk fall day... What a Brown Ale should be & a standard for others to look up to! (262 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance - 3.5/5
Pours a fairly clear dark red-orange-brown. About two fingers of head. Can see a bunch of tiny particles in the beer, and a little bit of carbonation.

Smell - 3.75/5
Roasty, nutty malts. Some other earthy smells, maybe a tiny hint of hops.

Taste - 3.75/5
Fairly hoppy (fresh, resinous, slighty piney hops), roasty malts. A little disappointed by the taste. I kind of expected the hops considering Sierra Nevada brews tend to always be pretty hoppy. But I expected more of the roasty, nutty flavor I got in the smell. Not a bad brew, just wish the hops were toned down a slight bit, and the roasty/nutty malts were made a lot more prominent.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium body, average amount of medium-high intensity carbonation.

Overall - 3.7/5
This is a good brew. Probably not my favorite brown ale, but still good.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20% (913 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, packaged date 7-15-14.

APPEARANCE: pours a dark brown color with 1 finger tan head that dissipated quickly leaving a thin broken layer of bubbles, there was some lacing on the glass, there are fine sediments suspended within, medium carbonation.

SMELL: roasted malt, sweet caramel, bread, very understated.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet caramel, roasted malt and bread, this is a malt forward beer for sure, mild hop profile.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation, smooth.

OVERALL: this is a very drinkable beer, it is not too roasted and is not overly sweet either, I am not a huge fan of the brown ale style but I enjoyed having something different, SN is one of my favorite brewers, they never disappoint. (793 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 1/2 fingers of creamy head over a mahogany body... looked great in the snifter. Aromas of roasted malt, light but crisp aromas. Very nice malt presence, roasted grains, clean and balanced overall. Classic SN body... might like it a bit heavier for the brown ale. Still one of the better ones that I have tried (despite the fact that my case was a little bit old). Glad than SN brought this one back. (401 characters)

*Reviewed in a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.*

A- Has a very pillowy, fothy, white head. It had a nice tall pollop of sour cream look in the middle of it. It died to a nice 1 finger head that never went away. Moderate amount of lacing. Body of the beer is a very dark copper color. When held up to the light, the beer shows lots of small sediment particles. I notice that in lots of Sierra Nevada beers.

S- Caramal and toffee sweetness. Has a toasted quality to the malt. Brown bread for sure. Light amount of hop spice. Very faint earthy, piney hop scent.

T- Toffee sweetness right upfront. There is also a molasses type sweetness in here. It has the toasted maltiness about it. This is much more of a bitter taste than the smell lets on. It is rather on the piney side. The beer has the unmistakable whole cone Sierra Nevada hop charater to it. The hops do a good job of rounding out the sweetness. The yest has a brown bread, bicuty type note to it. The finish has a cofee type flavor. It's just a very earthy and malty brown ale.

M- Medium. This beer is farily carbinated. It does have a moderate amount of oily type slickness from the sweetness. But it's nothing too difficult in the drinkability.

Overall this is pretty nice brown ale. I cannot complain here as for as brown ales are concerned. The only flaw, if any, is the bitterness is a little out of place stylistically. But this a fine beer from Sierra Nevada. (1,429 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a clear brown with a thin, white head. Nose is toasty and a touch grainy. Light caramel. Flavor is toast, caramel, chocolate, light roast coffee, bready malts, honey, nuts. Delicious. Mouthfeel is light to medium with moderate carbonation. Delicious. An exemplary brown ale from the US. (303 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

I was pissed when I heard they were discontinuing tumbler. Back in April a rep told me they were going to bring it back in the fall pack. Same coffee, chocolate, and smoky malt notes that I love in the aftertaste. Bring this back as a stand alone.....please... (263 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

From bottles dated 07/15/14, part of 'Fall Pack Seasonal Sampler' 12-pack: Notes of mild chocolate and roasted grain; rather sweet malt; little hop presence. Drying finish with a slight tang of hop spiciness. Flavour reminds me of some chocolate stouts, but with a thin body; I'm imagining this is what a sweet and mildly chocolately Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale would resemble. And it does have an earthy flavour of what I imagine autumn leaves to taste like (in a good way). While I haven't been enamoured with Brown Ales in general (I think it is often the burnt-sugar taste that puts me off), this is one of the most palatable I've had. —Reviewed 26 October 2014 (673 characters)

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: 2+" frothy cream colored head, mostly clear dark reddish-brown with tons of streaming carbonation.

Aroma: yeasty bread dough, a bit of smoke, some floral and citrus, a bit of toffee and raisin.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, somewhat slick, with a dry finish.

Flavor: rich roasted malts, some citrus rind and floral hops, a bit coffee and raisin, a lingering smokey finish.

Overall: I really enjoy brown ales, but am not a fan of smokey flavors. I can't really criticize the beer, but it not to my particular tastes due to the smoke. I would probably rate it much higher without the smoked malts. (650 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Great brown color gives off a chocolatey cardboard aroma. The scent is a touch chalky, toasted and nutty. The flavor is dry chocolate malt, smoky, shoe leather, toasted, nutty and a bit of graham cracker. Overall, not the best brown but still tasty enough. (256 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Tastes much better than I remember. Mmm... bitter and chocolatey, with a touch of tobacco. Almost like a porter, but lighter of course. Somewhat dry and spicy; not sweet like you would expect. Well rounded and super drinkable. Now I wish they would bring this back in six packs! (278 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

A. Regular poor 1 ½ inch white/yellow soapy/thick head. Very light carbonation. Color is delicious amber with shadows of brown. 3.75
S. Carmel, Smokey, and as the bottle says toasted bread. 3.5
T. Same as it smells. The alcohol is very evident. Warm in my chest. After taste is alcohol. 3.5
M. Watery and warm alcohol. 4.25
O. Just a typical Brown ale nothing special, but still good. Give it a try. Hard buzz for 5.5% ABV. 3.25 (429 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a very dark brown, with two fingers of beige head that settled to about a quarter of an inch and stayed to the end. The aroma is sweet roasty malt, caramel, and just a slight hint of grassy hops. The taste is dark roasted malt, with just a bit of bitterness. Mouthfeel is fairly light for such a dark beer, with a good bit of carbonation to add a nice feel on the palate. Overall, this is not one of my favorite styles, but one I may have to look into more often. (474 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into mug
(7/16/14 packaged date)

L: amber, clear, big fluffy, sticky 1-inch head of thick tan foam ... fantastic sticking and good lacing; decent amount of bubbles coming up column considering it's an ale and in a wide glass

S: sour grain; sourdough bread

T: burnt hops ... roasted malt, almost smoked wood ... very char-oak flavor; has a little of the burnt-hop black IPA flavor, much more American than standard English brown ale; semisweet chocolate, black coffee

F: very solid ... good carbonation despite hard pour

O: glad I finally got to try it after missing out last season, but it's more Americanized than I'd hoped (though I'm not surprised). it misses the lighter toasted notes and buttery goodness of the English brown ale, but it is very nice in the vein of the black IPA -- loaded with hops that are tamed considerably by the darker malt (883 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip

A- Deep brown, showing some lighter brown hues. Light off white head has decent retention and lacing.

S- Sweet malt, caramel notes, brown sugar.

T- Bread, caramel, burnt toast. A nice sweetness to this. I could drink this with pancakes, or make a syrup out of it.

M- Rather light in body. Very smooth, with just a little bite in the end. Perfect feel for the turn of the season.

O- I really enjoy this one. It's really perfect for the transition from summer to fall. Great for those warm days cool nights. (546 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, PKGD 07/03/14
A 3.75 - copper-brown colored ale with a fluffy beige head that slowly fades to a foam
S 3.5 - caramel, bread, toffee, earthy & spicy hops, chocolaty brown malts, faint roasted barley
T 4 - nicely balanced blend of bread crust, caramel, toffee, chocolate, roasted barley, and earthy hops
M 3.75 - medium body, moderate carbonation, prickly & spicy semi-bitter finish
O 3.75 - a fall staple. I'm glad they figured out a way to keep this on the shelves in the fall, even if it's part of a mixed 12 pack. (528 characters)

09/05/12 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Although touted as an ale I find this leaning more to the porter side. As I'm not a pronounced hops fan I'd prefer a bit more subtlety. Flavor galore but just not to my taste. (213 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

I am pretty sure I have drank this beer in the past. I was on a brown ale kick for a while then it kind of went into all different directions for me. I honestly didn't know what I wanted back then. I have educated myself since and in a way I have come back to the old guys to see if they were as good as I remembered them to be. Some have been others have been horrible. This one. Its really damn good. I may dig into more brown ales after this one, but I am not sure they would all be as good as this one.

Pours nutty brown almost an iced tea color. Its like earthy but not too dark you can definitely see through it. Keeps a nice head retention, but not too much in either direction.

Aroma is bourbon, nutty, caramel and malts. But I think there are some hops in there, not much but enough to make it interesting.

Taste: Bourbon, chocolate malts, smooth with a bit of sweetness, but also a nice bite in there.

Overall: This is a well made beer people, its not too sweet, not to bitter, not to thin but not super thick in the mouthfeel department, It really is one of the the best brown ales I have had for sure. (1,120 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Enjoying a 2013 vintage. Poured into a pint glass with an enormous frothy head. Nothing says autumn like a Tumbler. Everything a fall seasonal should be. Super malty with toasted nut flavors. Well done Sierra Nevada! (216 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle as part of the Fall Pack. Wasn't expecting much from this beer and ended up being wowed. Nice brown color with a large white head. Good retention and lacing. The aroma is outstanding. Roasted malts, caramel, chocolate, and smoke... it's all there. Medium bodied with a dry finish. Drinkability is high.

What a complex brew. Possibly the best brown ale I've ever had. Paired it with some aged gouda and they matched perfectly. Get some! (449 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Medium brown with some clarity in addition to the off white head. Soft smoke note upfront. Chocolate, white bread, mixed nuts, and brown sugar, with a hint of smoke. A bit of nuttiness -- almost like a chocolate covered nut (of non-descript origin) toward the end. Very smooth, a bit creamy, and has a medium dry finish. Medium body. Delicious autumn ale. I love that is has a lot of flavor but a low abv. I'm not a cigar person, but if you were looking for something "lighter" to enjoy with your smoke, this could be it. I could see this with meaty stew or, for a different route, some spicy jambalaya. The spice would round out the sweetness of the beer nicely. (663 characters)

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.