Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown AleSierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 07-25-2010

Tumbler is our take on the classic brown ale – full of roasted malt flavor but delicate on the palate and perfect for crisp fall days. Layered with notes of chocolate and toasted bread and a hint of smoke, Tumbler is the ultimate autumn beer, so grab a seat and watch as the leaves come tumbling down.

2014 - Available in Fall Variety Pack (no longer available standalone)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,081 | Hads: 3,216
1.8/5  rDev -53%

Consumed November 11th, 2010 in (fittingly) a Sierra Nevada pint glass.

Beer pours a clear deep brown; think a cola with a few ice cubes that have melted in it. A one finger head somewhere between off-white and tan forms on initial pour and reduces to a thin crown of sticky foam within a few minutes. Plenty of active carbonation.

Aroma is full of vanilla and maybe a hint of pumpkin. Also kind of a rotten odor. Not so great.

Flavor is slightly off - oxidization and mineral notes compete with sulfur. Significantly bitter for a brown ale. A metallic note as well. Some toasty, nutty malt goodness in there, but it's being covered by these competing off flavors.

Medium bodied with a touch of carbonation tingle.

This is just not a good beer; where did the mighty SN go wrong? This drinks more like an Indian Wells product...

1.9/5  rDev -50.4%

12 oz bottle into a nonic. Beautiful caramel brown color, clear and effervescent. The off-white head shows great retention, making for a great looking beer.

The aroma is ... off. Pretty strong sulfur and mineral. Some nice toasted malt beneath that, and a bit of toffee and roasted nuts. I'm surprised Sierra Nevada released this, the sulfuric character isn't subtle at all.

Tastes a bit better, toast and toffee up front, but also a bit of rotting egg and mineral, along with a bit of grain husk astringency and herbal hops. Mouthfeel is thin, and the finish pretty rough. Yeah, this is pretty bad. This beer should not have been released in its current state.

2.14/5  rDev -44.1%

Fresh in from the local Whole Foods, this new offering from SN has appealing autumnal bottle art, though being the end of July is more than a tad early. Guess this means their Celebration winter brew will be here in two weeks. bummer, nothing worse than this sort of commercial season creep.

This brew pours a fine brown color.

Aroma is HUGE sulphitic burnt match, bleh. Some eggy sulfur in here too, this is not promising.

Hoping that it airs out a bit, I gave it a swirl or two and took a sip. Big sulfur in the taste too. Skuzzy burnt malt and a bit nutty. Mouth is pretty full, and the hops are just enough to keep it on the malty side, which is true to style. Just can't get past the nast.

Wife thought it tasted like stale fireworks...I've trained her senses well...
Don't let this new offering from SN draw you in. Unless they just had some bad batches and plan to resolve this matchhead taste, IGNORE this beer like the plague.

2.21/5  rDev -42.3%

Glassy brown, clear pour. Head is great, slightly off white, thick and rocky. Lacing is sticky. Yummy looking.

Oooh...uh. Smell is weird. And not good. Huh. At first it's a sourness, but not a yeasty sour-thing. More like a bad milk sour. What? Some spice is in there, but I can't quite pick it out. Somebody help me with this one. Moving on to flavor...

Light malt character with hints of brown sugar. The hops play nicely providing a quick and non-intrusive bite. Some soft maple in the back. Nice feel to it, not quite as sweet as I would suppose. Would go nicely with grilled (not BBQ) meats, methinks. Football season will be good.
yet the drinkability is tough because of the aroma. Each time I dip my nose in the glass...y'know to allow a sip...I get that sourness. I need help with this aroma.

EDIT: 8 bottles of this 12-er have been "bad" (i.e. the same as above). Drain pouring my money away.

2.24/5  rDev -41.5%

Got this 24oz squatty bottle for $2.79 at Beverage Warehouse in Winooski VT. Code 023820827. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

A moderate pour gives a lovely swirling froth that generates a dense 1" of light brown head from this clear brown brew. All the look lacks is some lace. The smell it throws up is heavy with earthy hops and starchy raw grain. Feel has a sharp tingling carbonation and a thin dry body. Taste is mainly a muddy semi-skunky high-alpha hop. The fizzy feel overpowers any malt that may be present, so all I taste is the unappealing hop.

In a bit of desperation, I swirled the hell out of it for a few minutes in order to get the carbo to calm down. The hop is still pretty funky, but at least now some malt and brown sugar is there alongside it.

Not impressed, completely lack-luster. The hop is really bleh.

2.3/5  rDev -39.9%

This is a good looking beer; but don't judge a beer by its cover. I might be somewhat uneducated regarding brown ales, but this ale has the taste of burnt bacon with a pungent aroma. I have always been very impressed with SN but this comes up short. Still a brewery that others should aspire to reach but I will stick with pale ale and torpedo until the celebration ale comes out.

2.44/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours bronze-mahogany with copper highlights. Head is initially thick and creamy, slowly reducing to a thin sheen.

Aroma is caramel, with hints of toffee and mild fruit. A slightly strange medicinal note.

Taste is what the nose suggested. Caramel malt sweetness up front. Apricot and a touch of raisin. Finishes with a dry earthy and hop bitterness and a lingering metallic quality and a funky yeast character that turns medicinal as it warms.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied.

Overall an unusual brown ale. The weird medicinal thing is throwing me off. Not my favorite.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

Once again my nemesis: headache from the tannins or dark roasted malts. So take my numbers above with a grain of salt.

Pours a beautiful chocolate brown with an inch of creamy head. Head persists.

First taste is rich, creamy, chocolatey malts with enough hops to keep the tongue interested. Then pain ensues for me.

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Always excited to see a new Sierra offering.

A_Pours a rich chestnut brown. Smallish tan head fades quickly into nothing.

S_Very mild in aroma. Slight malt sensation. Really it just has virtually no smell to it. A faint sulfur component is in the background which makes the aroma it does have feel a bit off

T_Again rather mild. A good straight malt comes over the tongue at first sip but after that it becomes rather flat and uninspiring.

M_The carbonation is tight and aggressive with a light overall body.

D_It goes down easy but really does not offer much. Brown ales are one of my favourite styles when the weather gets cold but this really falls flat. A disappointment from a great brewery.

2.59/5  rDev -32.4%

A - Clear ruby brown with a thick white head that has excellent retention and fairly decent lacing.

S - Not a whole lt of depth with some roasted malts, with only a touch of some earthy pine hops.

T - Roasted/toasted malts dominate taste, then there's some off-putting metallic tastes toward the back end of the palate and through the aftertaste.

M - Thin, a bit watery, moderate carbonation with a sloppy finish leaving my mouth feeling rather gross.

D - Fairly disappointed with this offering, as I had high hopes for it. The nasty metallic taste was thoroughly off-putting and ruined the rest of the drink. I'll drink the rest of the 6-pack, but only after my palate's already destroyed.

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

Man, I was hoping for so much more in SN's brown (why? i dunno...). It's not like the bottle was old or stored improperly because, for a second, I thought this thing may have been spoiled - the head fizzed loudly almost immediately and collapsed to next to nothing in a flash. Wasn't picking up any off smells, so I went in for it.

Aside from the lousy head, I'll add that it was on the dark side for a brown - tiny touch of mahogany highlights, and the lacing was actually decent.

If the smell was any indicator of how it was going to taste - and it often is - it wasn't getting me remotely excited. A distinctly SN character emanated from the top, with a quite unappealing bitter and stale toast mix - the bitter maybe coming from the toasted grain or perhaps from the hops used - an essence that I pick up in their pale ale and others as well (not always a turn off). Maybe the water? In total, smell comes off as "neutral" - not smelling like much at all but burntness. I let it warm up over at least 25 min, too, and nothing better came of it.

Taste? Feel? Wasn't a whole lot to write home about. No caramel. No chocolate. No subtle fruitiness. Some thin malt and a dull acrid bitterness was all I picked up here. Hardly a shred of depth to the flavor or feel. Looking at the full name of the beer now, "Autumn" gives me the feeling that all I was drinking here was dead leaves, bark, and a touch of campfire ash. I've had quite a few bitter, dry brown ales, and this did not compare favorably.

While this wasn't heaveable, it was hardly good. Took a little work getting it all down (and I only started off with a half-pint). I'd consider trying this again, but only on tap at happy hour.

2.66/5  rDev -30.5%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a four finger head of good cream lacing, decent thickness, and good retention. Colour is a nontransparent dark brown.

Sm: Cream and caramel is all me broken nose can discern. Aroma is of moderate strength.

T: Some light nuts, some bland cream (missing proper placement), light caramel, and... that's it. This is a generic beer with a simple build and a sloppy balance. It's almost a bit watery around the climax as well.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Too wet, in fact. Doesn't feel tailored to the flavours at all.

Dr: It's cheap but forgettable. Leave this for committed fans of the style. I'm unimpressed.

2.69/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

look is a clear amber with a creamy khaki head. smell is weak, malt, dust, wood, old leaves. Taste follows with woody and roasted flavors, but an old, chalky, dry leave taste dominates. Feel is slightly chalky and finishes pleasantly dry.

I bought a 12-pack of this on a whim and was disappointed, not a fan.

2.71/5  rDev -29.2%

On-tap at Lucky Baldwin's

A: The pour is a nice deep, rich brown color with a solid off-white head.

S: There is a weird aroma to this beer. Roasted, almost burnt, nuts, sulfur, butter, toasted malts, and a mild sweetness.

T: Immediately there is a noticeable astringency to this beer. Burnt and bitter nuts, slight sulfur, and a bit of toffee and caramel sweetness.

M: The body is slightly watery and thin, with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: A really disappointing effort from a brewery that is nearly bulletproof. And it's even worse because it is replacing a solid offering.

2.74/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours from the bottle a brown-red hue with an attractive couple fingers of off-white head. Retention is decent for the style. I'm smelling rubbery grain and sulphur notes that I definitely wouldn't have expected. I'm guessing the hops contribute to this quality, but it's still a little weird though not awful by any means. It actually reminds me a little of a Euro lager of some sort... a helles, mostly.

In my first sip, and then throughout subsequent ones, a nice buttery biscuit note fades in and out. Mostly, though, the grain flavor is weak. The same earthy European hops (I was close... Yakima Goldings were used) that I smelled also coat the mouth and comprise the most dominant flavor. For a fall brown ale (even in spite of its August release), I'd hoped for a little more malty goodness out of Tumbler, but I can't knock the flavor too much.

Mouthfeel is thin and unexciting; there's not a lot of lasting flavor or body. All of these factors just serve to make Tumbler a miss as far as what I expect from a Sierra Nevada brown ale, especially after enjoying their porter and stout so much.

2.74/5  rDev -28.5%

A - A dark brown with a reddish hue, somewhat reminiscent of Autumn leaves.

S - Smells of roasted malts... not overly exciting

T - Roasted Malts, Roasted Malts, and Roasted Malts... I think that pretty much covers it. This beer is terribly unbalanced and goes overboard on the roasted malts.

M - Medium body ... just average

D - It's drinkable, the real question is whether or not you want to drink it.

Notes: Disappointing showing for Sam Adams. The balance on this beer was all out of wack.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

I tried this beer at GABF. I really enjoyed stopping by Sierra Nevada booth. Loved the VW and loved the taster books.

A- Cooper brown color with not a lot head on it.
S-Well there was some burnt aroma rolling off early with a carmel finish. I didn't get the smoke that others got.

T- Bitterness was really unexpected and just a disappointment. The bitter taste hit early and often. Not a brown taste I was looking for.

M- Just not creamy or smooth like I was looking for from their brown.

As much as I really like most from Sierra Nevada this was not one of them for me.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a nice medium dark brown w/ very little cocoa head. Very little carbonation, and below average lacing. Nose is that of yeast, malt, some hops, yeast, and smoke. Taste is very thin and dry from what I was expecting. I'm wondering if the tap line was clean, because this beer really disappointed me based on the glowing reviews I've read. Mouthfeel is dry, w/ a little hop bite/malt smoothness. Overall I wouldn't look for this again. I might pick up a bottle at some point, and will adjust my review accordingly if needed.

2.76/5  rDev -27.9%

A: rich dark brown, average carbonation and head
S: i get wet dog and little else
T: roasted malts, sweet grapes (I'm assuming from said malt), Sierra's standard mineral flavor, almost like iron, not very complex
M: a little on the watery side, especially for a Brown Ale.
D: all around pretty boring and disappointing. I'm love Sierra, but this one feels forced and uninspired. I would honestly expect more from them

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

I'm usually a big fan of Sierra Nevada beers. But there's something funky about this one. Although it clearly states on the bottle that this is an Autumn Brown Ale, I fear that the IPA-hoppiness that SN is known for has 'hopped' in and undone the Brown Ale part from the inside out.

A: The color on this beer is rich in the center and tapers out towards the ends. There is almost no leg on this beer. It reminds me a bit of a tea and honey-like mixture. Tree sap also comes to mind. It's really quite lovely.

S: There's a slight metallic hint at the very front of this drink. It eventually opens up into a caramel, oak, rosemary butter and wet woods kind of smell. But the combination of these things never gels into a memorable event. It's right there in front of me, but I just don't think it's punchy enough...especially for a beer with the SN label on it.

T: The taste of this beer leaves something to be desired. It's too acidic and bitter for a brown ale, in my opinion. On top of that, there's a hint of something hoppish, but it feels more like a mistake than anything else. And for some reason, all of the sensations from the smell seem lost on the taste. It's like I'm smelling one beer and tasting another.

M: Although the texture isn't harsh necessarily, it's not exactly pleasant. The carbonation, though not heavy handed, doesn't really feel all that great. This beer has an uncanny ability to dry out every corner of my mouth. And worst of all, both of those downsides linger long after the sip has been swallowed. For that reason alone, mf gets my lowest score.

D: After only one, my mouth is so dry that the prospect of having another seems similar to funneling handfuls of sand into my mouth. This beer is less than refreshing in most respects. That being said, someone who's a SN fan might find the silver lining in this beer, but I think I'd be done with one.

This could be one of the most disappointing SN beers I've ever had. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to name a SN beer I disliked as much as this beer. While I think it's fair to say 'bad' for SN is still far better than some beers out there...I think fans of SN will be less than impressed by this beer...as will fans of Brown Ales.

2.79/5  rDev -27.2%

pours perfectly... to be frank. 2 fingers fits perfectly into my pint glass. dark burnt amber color. Head clings to the side as it slowly slowly dissipates.

smells of nice roasted caramel malts... actually has a ting of lager smell on it, that distinct lager smell... from the yeast... then nothing.

well, the taste is clean, crisp... not that that is a flavor, but not much happening here for me. a bit of the roasted malts, but otherwise, this is pretty bland and boring. Easy to sit and drink a few of these as the night goes on, but would switch to it later in the night as my tastebuds are falling asleep.

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Beviewing two very different beers tonight. One a light summer beer from the ubiquitous Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light Lime), the other a darker autumn beer from the well-known Sierra Nevada. This beer is the latter, Sierra Nevada's 2010 Tumbler (Autumn Brown Ale).

Nice bottle--Sierra Nevada often does a good job with that. Poured into a standard pint glass--nice brown color with a burnt umber tint. Not much head, no lacing.

Smells nice--a bit of caramel.

Taste is disappointing. Overly malty. I can't say it's bad, but it's not something I'll buy again. It's so bitter, and a bit sour. There's a nuttiness and a hint of caramel. These aren't enough to save it.

Mouthfeel is nice. Foamy and creamy. Would get a higher score, but the beer is so bitter and sour that I can't keep it in my mouth for too long.

I give this a low score on drinkability, which probably drops the grade half a letter. I don't want to drink much of this.

2.82/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Poured out of a 22oz bomber into an IKEA mug. It had a pillowy, soft foam head that lingered much longer than I expected. Color was deep brown, but my mug is fairly large so it probably appeared darker than a standard glass.

S: This is where the beer loses. The smell starts with a slightly acrid scent from the roasted malt and then turns a bit sour.. almost like they used lactose.

T: This is where Sierra Nevada is going to lose points due to each of their beers having a WOW factor. This is the most unremarkable beer I've ever had from SN. It is boring in almost every way with the exception of its eye opening aroma. It's a good brown ale, but I expect more than good from SN. I will admit I'm not a big roasted malt fan and this beer is just on the border of having too much of a roasted malt presence.

M: Mouthfeel was balanced, not too thin and not too thick. Again, just a good, average beer.

D: My guide for a daily drinker like this is whether I would get a six of these for a poker game. Nope, the combination of the odd smell and boring taste means I will grab their pale ale before I buy this.

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

finally a cool enough evening to make for good darker beer tasting.

A-Light tan three finger head (not the cat's fault this time). Incredible retention but iffy lacing. Nice dark reddish/ruby brown, translucent, but not hazy.

N- much more Citrusy hop smell than I had expected, and some bready notes. sweetness to it also, like a toffee smell. overall have to whiff it pretty hard to get more than the hops. smells way over hopped for a brown ale.

T-follows nose. like a brown IPA, way too much hop presence for a Brown ale, no real malt backbone for it at all. little sweet flavor toward the end but not throughout the finish, and the flavor ends abruptly no lingering flavor. take that back some citrus hop flavor lingers faintly. Little bit of roasted malt shows up after the beer warms a bit in the glass.

M- little less viscus than I would prefer, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it thin. nice crisp bite and a lingering bit of that bite sticks around for a while.

D- Not a bad session ale. Had I gone into this looking for a hop bomb of a brown I'd love it, but I was hoping for a more malty beverage. I'll have to revisit this when I'm in the mood for an IPA.

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

Chris was adamant that I drink this. When I failed to drink it at Yosemite, he made me drink it when I got back.

Dark brown with good clarity, this beer has a dense, light brown head with excellent retention and lacing. The nose is rather bad, though. Sulfury with rotten eggs and caramel and toast. It would be good for breakfast if the eggs weren't rotten, maybe? A little brown sugar as well. The palate opens sulfury, dry, toasty and has some brown sugar and caramel. Moderate earthy hop character is present. Drying finish with some brown sugar and more sulfur. Light in body with moderate carbonation, this would actually be good if not for the sulfur. I'm going to have to revisit this.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.