Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown AleSierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 07-25-2010

Tumbler is our take on the classic brown ale – full of roasted malt flavor but delicate on the palate and perfect for crisp fall days. Layered with notes of chocolate and toasted bread and a hint of smoke, Tumbler is the ultimate autumn beer, so grab a seat and watch as the leaves come tumbling down.

2014 - Available in Fall Variety Pack (no longer available standalone)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Enjoying a 2013 vintage. Poured into a pint glass with an enormous frothy head. Nothing says autumn like a Tumbler. Everything a fall seasonal should be. Super malty with toasted nut flavors. Well done Sierra Nevada!

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Crystal clear and of course brown - more orangish than reddish brown. A modest head ends with a firm coating - nothing crazy, but certainly to style. Lacing goes all the way down the glass.

Nutty chocolate malt leads the way in the aroma, paired with an overall earthiness from the hops that blends in nicely. I read that this has smoked malt - even knowing this, I can barely detect it. I don't think I would have picked it up otherwise. Also, little sweet smelling.

Flavor is definitely earthy and leafy with a fairly firm bitterness for the style. The hops have more presence here. A little cara-malt sweetness, but the balance definitely leans towards bitter. A slight nuttiness from the chocolate shows up near the finish. Virtually no roasted character, no smoked flavors.

The head indicated low carbonation, but the bitterness seems to enhance the perception of carbonation, giving it an almost prickly mouthfeel. I was expecting more from Sierra Nevada.

EDIT: Okay, so damn. Let this warm up - it definitely gets better at cellar temp. The bitterness is still too high and the hops a little too assertive for this style IMO, American or not, but the caramel malt comes out more and really helps to smooth things out a bit. Changing taste from 3 to 3.5 and giving it a little boost in drinkability. I might come back and change this again if it starts to really grow on me.

EDIT: Just popped another one. I'm getting some fait peat smoke that is coming through as a tobacco flavor. Pretty good. Boosting taste rating to a 4.

2.65/5  rDev -31%

I tried this beer at GABF. I really enjoyed stopping by Sierra Nevada booth. Loved the VW and loved the taster books.

A- Cooper brown color with not a lot head on it.
S-Well there was some burnt aroma rolling off early with a carmel finish. I didn't get the smoke that others got.

T- Bitterness was really unexpected and just a disappointment. The bitter taste hit early and often. Not a brown taste I was looking for.

M- Just not creamy or smooth like I was looking for from their brown.

As much as I really like most from Sierra Nevada this was not one of them for me.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

330ml into a dimpled stein.

A-Pours brownish red with a quickly fading khaki head. Minimal retention even after a hard pour.

S-Strong roasty nose, with softer bread malt sweetness

T-Prominent roast, with a bit of dark bitterness (not hops), with a bread like sweet finish. Hops come through in the end after everything else has faded.

M-Well carbonated with a fairly light body. I wouldn't call it light but it's on the low end of medium-bodied.

O-Good for rainy fall days and the cooling transition from Summer to Fall. The light body keeps it from needing a cold-weather complement, but its strong roast and mild bitterness kill the chill.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Pretty thick head, leaves nice lacing. Dark brown body with hints of rust color at the bottom.

The nose is a sweet, malty blend of toasted nuts and vanilla. The flavor is sweet, a solid blend of slightly toasted malt, brown sugar and a finish of subtle hops. The feel is about medium thickness, but that hops at the end really helps crispen each sip, preparing for the next in a very nice way that makes this a fairly drinkable beer.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

As a style I enjoy brown ale, and I haven't had a bad beer yet from Sierra Nevada. This sounds like a win-win. This 12 ounce bottle was purchased at Tilley's in Traverse City, MI. It was bottled on August 12, 2011. I poured the bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

A standard pour yields a nice three fingers of foamy, mocha colored head. Retention is fantastic. Lacing slowly replaces the head as it fades. The brew is adequately brown with enough translucence to show you that it is indeed brown and not darker as in say, a porter or stout. In short, it is text book brown ale with extra points for the amazing head.

The aroma is kind of alcoholic. The label says this is 5.5% abv but my nose is telling me otherwise. Unfortunately, there is not much else going on in the aroma. It smells kind of sterile with a mild lingering sweetness.

Fortunately, the flavor picks up the slack. A rich malt profile greets the tongue with a surprising complexity for such a standard style. Nice carmelized malts dance in the tongue. Alcohol is well-hidden. There has to be some chocolate malt in there as there is a flavor is that is quite literally reminiscent of cocoa. A good earthy/roasty presence manifests on the backend. My one gripe is that there is a minor cooked veggie flavor popping up toward the finish; but this is otherwise a nice tasting, well rounded brew. The bulk of the brew is fairly sweet (as with licorice or molasses) with the finish being mildly bitter in its hoppiness. It is a pleasant balance.

The mouthfeel is neither impressive, nor offensive. It feels a bit heavy for the style, which is a good trait in my book. Regardless, it is still on the light side of medium bodied. The carbonation level is low to medium and compliments the beer nicely. It feels as a good brown should: no more and no less.

As with nearly all beers in the Sierra Nevada lineup, Tumbler represents a solid brew and a great value. As they are one of the largest "craft" breweries in the country their availability is solid as well. Add this to my list of sturdy standbys when I don't see anything else that is fitting my fancy. This will certainly please the brown ale fan in me.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
I give a Schlitz for Tumbler.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

2.73/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours from the bottle a brown-red hue with an attractive couple fingers of off-white head. Retention is decent for the style. I'm smelling rubbery grain and sulphur notes that I definitely wouldn't have expected. I'm guessing the hops contribute to this quality, but it's still a little weird though not awful by any means. It actually reminds me a little of a Euro lager of some sort... a helles, mostly.

In my first sip, and then throughout subsequent ones, a nice buttery biscuit note fades in and out. Mostly, though, the grain flavor is weak. The same earthy European hops (I was close... Yakima Goldings were used) that I smelled also coat the mouth and comprise the most dominant flavor. For a fall brown ale (even in spite of its August release), I'd hoped for a little more malty goodness out of Tumbler, but I can't knock the flavor too much.

Mouthfeel is thin and unexciting; there's not a lot of lasting flavor or body. All of these factors just serve to make Tumbler a miss as far as what I expect from a Sierra Nevada brown ale, especially after enjoying their porter and stout so much.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: A lovely red-tinted brown, nice head and some attractive lacing.

Smell: Foward roasted character reinforced with a molasses note, as well as some very rich maltiness and some delicate herbal hops.

Taste: Similar to smell, but less roastiness and slightly more hops. The sip (or gulp) starts with a slight roasted malt and hop bitterness kick and smoothly flows into a rich maltiness balanced with a touch of hop flavor. The roasted character is sharper at first and does stick around but tapers beautifully into that malty tail-end.

Mouthfeel: Slightly on the thin side, but gives the beer a crispness that makes it hard not to just take down in a few minutes.

Overall: Quality ingredients combined with flawless execution, the trademarks of Sierra Nevada. It is a little light for my tastes, but there is still absolutely nothing wrong with it. I am not sure I would grab this again, but that is only because I prefer a little more punch from my beers this time of year.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.