Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown AleSierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Tumbler is our take on the classic brown ale – full of roasted malt flavor but delicate on the palate and perfect for crisp fall days. Layered with notes of chocolate and toasted bread and a hint of smoke, Tumbler is the ultimate autumn beer, so grab a seat and watch as the leaves come tumbling down.

2014 - Available in Fall Variety Pack (no longer available standalone)

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 07-25-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale Alström Bros

From a 12 oz bottle marked "2010" into a pint glass. Dark reddish brown clear color with some bubbles. Large, pillowy brown head slowly fades leaving good lacing. Nice looking head. Nose is malty with some coffee and powdery cocoa. In the mouth, it's bitter with burnt malt, hints of powdery chocolate, coffee, and a nice dry, biting finish. Mouth is smooth and slightly bubbly, very quenching. Drinkability is very good; I can easily see myself having several of these.

A pretty typical brown ale, quite enjoyable within its context. I would have again.

jettjon, Oct 04, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

Man, I was hoping for so much more in SN's brown (why? i dunno...). It's not like the bottle was old or stored improperly because, for a second, I thought this thing may have been spoiled - the head fizzed loudly almost immediately and collapsed to next to nothing in a flash. Wasn't picking up any off smells, so I went in for it.

Aside from the lousy head, I'll add that it was on the dark side for a brown - tiny touch of mahogany highlights, and the lacing was actually decent.

If the smell was any indicator of how it was going to taste - and it often is - it wasn't getting me remotely excited. A distinctly SN character emanated from the top, with a quite unappealing bitter and stale toast mix - the bitter maybe coming from the toasted grain or perhaps from the hops used - an essence that I pick up in their pale ale and others as well (not always a turn off). Maybe the water? In total, smell comes off as "neutral" - not smelling like much at all but burntness. I let it warm up over at least 25 min, too, and nothing better came of it.

Taste? Feel? Wasn't a whole lot to write home about. No caramel. No chocolate. No subtle fruitiness. Some thin malt and a dull acrid bitterness was all I picked up here. Hardly a shred of depth to the flavor or feel. Looking at the full name of the beer now, "Autumn" gives me the feeling that all I was drinking here was dead leaves, bark, and a touch of campfire ash. I've had quite a few bitter, dry brown ales, and this did not compare favorably.

While this wasn't heaveable, it was hardly good. Took a little work getting it all down (and I only started off with a half-pint). I'd consider trying this again, but only on tap at happy hour.

Bouleboubier, Oct 04, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

I didn't know about this one till I saw it on sale at the local Rite-Aid for $13.99 a twelve pack. I love their pale ale, it was my first craft brew that I ever had, so I thought I'd give this one a whirl. Brownish amber with a soapy whitish head. Leaves some decent lacing. Smells of burnt caramel and toast. Lots of roasted malts, caramel and a good deal of hops on the taste. It has that Sierra Nevada taste. Good medium mouthfeel and a good sessionable bear. I'll definately look for this one next fall.

Sleestak, Oct 03, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Two fingers of head, dark brown. Very foamy head.

S: Sweet caramel and some pale ale like hops.

T: Caramel/Toffee taste and some bitter hops (cascade I think). Hoppier than I expected. Lots of sweet bready malts that allow it to be a brown style.

M: Thicker syrupy feel than other brown ales I've had.

D: Fits nicely in the Sierra Nevada family of brews. Has qualities that are similar to their Torpedo & Pale Ale. A great seasonal release and great addition to the brown ales available in CA.

gregshead, Oct 03, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +21.9%

Pours a perfect shade or brown, with an inch of tan head. Lots of lacing on the side of my pilsner glass.
Nose is a bit lackluster, very clean for an ale, its almost like smelling a lager.
The taste makes up for the nose. Lots of caramelized sugar, and toffee, with a slight hint of hops in the back.
Nice mid bodied mouth-feel. Goes down nicely, but at 5.5% that's about what i would expect. So glad to see a nice, low abv, beer that's tasty without being hoppy enough to melt you teeth(not that there anything wrong with hop bombs.) This is the best brown ale i have had, and one of the best beers period. Kudos to you Sierra Nevada.

redneckchugger, Oct 03, 2010

The beer is rich, medium brown in the glass, with a head that dissipates fairly quickly. The smell is toasted bread and the taste is also predominantly toasted grain. The mouthfeel is medium-light and the finish is a nice balance of crisp and dry. For me this is another instance of Sierra Nevada taking a style of beer and doing it noticeably better than the "standard." Among not-yet-super-serious beer aficionados, Newcastle is the standard brown ale. Tumbler is clearly better than Newcastle.

PhiloPsych, Oct 03, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Grabbed a sixer of these cause Sierra Nevada rarely goes wrong. This was a solid brown. Lots of standard caramel maltiness with a fruity hop presence as well. Nuts and slight earthiness. A touch of roastiness, but not a stout-knock-off. Body is medium, light, with fairly high carbonation. Highly drinkable, could be a session brew. One I'd grab again, a good example of the style.

soupyman10, Oct 02, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Saw that this came out for the fall and never had it before. Like most Sierra Nevada Beers, I was excited for this but I have to admit that this was a bit of a letdown. Not a bad brew, but with all the Brown Ales out there, this one didn't stand out from the others very much.

Of course, the pour was the best aspect of this, like so many other beers in the SN portfolio. A nice head, subdued brown hue,and a decent amount of lacing could easily be discerned and the carbonation was just enough to cause the lacing, without overpowering the flavor. This didn't have the caramel and sugary sweetness that so many other beers in this style had but rather, it was quite malty with just a hint of the trademakr hoppiness in the aftertaste. Went down pretty easy but there wasn't a lot to think about as I had this, which tends to be the case in most of the Brown Ales that I've had over the years.

5.50%? Only on the bottle. It's there but you'll hardly feel it as one of these gets popped open and enjoyed during the changing of the leaves. I can't say not to try this but if there are a lot of Fall and Octoberfest beers available where this is found, then you might want to see what else is out there. This can only be recommended for the die-hard SN fan.

JerzDevl2000, Oct 02, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good-looking medium brown brew with a frothy light tan head and good carbonation. Aroma is light an nutty. Flavor is deep and malty, probably more so than I expected. Well done. A very fine quality brown ale. I have had better, and I have had worse, but this is fairly drinkable with a light fizzy finish.

BogleHill, Oct 02, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: Fairly bright brown.
Smell: Not a ton of nose.
Taste: Sharp initial bite, not particularly balanced but okay. Wish it had more flavor.
Mouthfeel: Decent smooth mouthfeel, not enough malts for my taste buds. Very dry.
Drinkability: This one is fine, but definitely not an all-time favorite from Sierra Nevada.
Cool label, great Autumn vibe.

jjh19, Oct 02, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

A pefect late afternoon fall beer.
A well balanced full body beer that is slightly bitter or dry on finish.
A rich roasted malt taste with toffee tones and a hint of espresso. Not to much hops.
A roasted maybe even a slightly burnt aroma.
Pours a deep rubby brown with a nice tan foam head. Good carbo's keeps the foam afloat through out. Good lacing.
Worthy
Drink well my friends

micromaniac129, Oct 02, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Nice dark brown color with reddish highlights. Thick creamy head that left lots of pretty lacing behind. Good looking beer!

Aroma was really nutty, malty. Plenty of freshly baked bread in here. SN talks about how quickly the grain for this beer goes from toasting/roasting/malting to brewing and boy, you can get that in the aroma.

Taste is full of all those aroma malt characters plus a good dose of bitterness and some nice hop flavors. Hop flavors had a bit of citrus but more earthy floral character. Nicely balanced beer.

Mouthfeel was great for a brown ale. Very solid but not heavy. Excellent, highly drinkable Fall beer.

mklinger, Oct 02, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

finally a cool enough evening to make for good darker beer tasting.

A-Light tan three finger head (not the cat's fault this time). Incredible retention but iffy lacing. Nice dark reddish/ruby brown, translucent, but not hazy.

N- much more Citrusy hop smell than I had expected, and some bready notes. sweetness to it also, like a toffee smell. overall have to whiff it pretty hard to get more than the hops. smells way over hopped for a brown ale.

T-follows nose. like a brown IPA, way too much hop presence for a Brown ale, no real malt backbone for it at all. little sweet flavor toward the end but not throughout the finish, and the flavor ends abruptly no lingering flavor. take that back some citrus hop flavor lingers faintly. Little bit of roasted malt shows up after the beer warms a bit in the glass.

M- little less viscus than I would prefer, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it thin. nice crisp bite and a lingering bit of that bite sticks around for a while.

D- Not a bad session ale. Had I gone into this looking for a hop bomb of a brown I'd love it, but I was hoping for a more malty beverage. I'll have to revisit this when I'm in the mood for an IPA.

irishevans, Oct 02, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Semi-tranparent, deep brown color. Ruby hues when held up to light. Unrelenting, creamy head with tons of frothy lace.

Some old, musty, leafy type aromas. Smells like fall. Maybe the thick head is hiding some of the aromas.

Solid malt character with some maple sweetness and smooth milk chocolate. Piney, leafy hops jump into the mix with a mild bitterness that is just enough to keep things interesting. Very well balanced flavor.

Medium-bodied and plenty of carbonation. Creamy texture throughout.

An excellent brown ale and an awesome fall seasonal. Sierra Nevada never fails to impress.

bnes09, Oct 02, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -40.6%

This is a good looking beer; but don't judge a beer by its cover. I might be somewhat uneducated regarding brown ales, but this ale has the taste of burnt bacon with a pungent aroma. I have always been very impressed with SN but this comes up short. Still a brewery that others should aspire to reach but I will stick with pale ale and torpedo until the celebration ale comes out.

Chuggs, Oct 02, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours nicely, with a thick head that goes away after a couple of minutes. I'm not going to mince words - this beer smells quite literally like fecal matter. Maybe I have a bad batch, but this beer smells sweet, with a hint of poop. Tastes nutty, clean, not bad. Glad it doesn't taste like it smells. Clean mouthfeel...

I'm sorry, I can't really say anything else. I am literally overwhelmed, this beer smells awful. Sorry SN. I love your beers. This one smells horrendous though.

Hopefully just a bad bottle. I'll see if the rest of my sixer is any better.

EDIT- 2/6 bottles in the sixer had this happen. the rest were the same as above without the poop smell.

mountsnow1010, Oct 01, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Solid brown ale from SN. Just "nutty" enough to give you a real sense that fall is in the air but not overwhelming. This is a very drinkable brown ale wheteher during the afternoon BBQ or a quiet, cool fall evening of relaxing. Great offering but would any less be expected from SN?

Plokhooy, Oct 01, 2010

This brew's a pretty straightforward brown color with no real hints of anything else. Just brown. A tan head about one finger tall forms, stays around for awhile, and leaves pretty good lacing behind.
A toasty malt makes the backbone of the aroma. Also contributing are light smoky notes, a bit of nuttiness and a light touch of bittersweet chocolate. It's malt-forward, but there is a smell of hops in here as well.
Just as malt forward in the flavor, the smoky notes come out more up front as well as the chocolate. Nuts are still here. Plenty of toastiness completes the malty profile and, just rounding it out, a light touch of piny hops is present.
The body is medium. There's little carbonation to speak of, which is good in this one. There's just a bit of crispness up front and the body is sufficiently smooth to be pleasant.
This is a nice beer with a surprisingly more stout-like character than a typical brown.

Brenden, Oct 01, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance - Ruby reddish brown color. Clear. Nice thick off white creamy head. The head is sticking around for a good while and leaving a nice bit of lacing on the sides.

Smell - Nice roasted, nutty malt jumps out at me first. An earthy undertone in the nose. Also, getting a doughy, bready, biscuit smell. All of the aromas really shine as the beer warms. Very well balanced.

Taste - Nice prominent roasted malt in the taste with a bit of an alcohol bite at the end. Slight hint of coffee bean. Not overpowering however. Only the smallest amount of bitterness works its way through in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel. Dry. Really coats the palate. Crisp dryness and somewhat chewy.

Drinkability - This brew definitely gets me ready for Autumn. I really like this beer. Very solid. I'm not one to sit and drink beer after beer during the evening, but I could have a few of these and be quite satisfied.

Shrews629, Oct 01, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Tumbler pours a nice clear amber brown with a very impressive cone of viscous tan froth sitting atop. The cone morphed to a crater and faded slower than a turtle crawling uphill. All the while, a solid wall of lace was left. The last film of foam (tongue twister) never faded away, and the notches of foam transformed into a crust as I drank the last bit of swill.

Dark chocolate and a definite roasted nut flavor came from the nose, which was quite subtle. As it sat, and I dug deeper, brown sugar and some ripe fruit emerged. Smooth and modest.

The flavor is well balanced. It seemed quite tart at first, but sweetness and a dry hop kick kept everything in equilibrium.

The overall body is relatively light. Chalky feel and modest carbonation leave nothing more than a whisper as the finish turned nutty and dry.

From Sierra Nevada, a bit more flavor was anticipated, but this was a good one nonetheless.

climax, Sep 30, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: medium to dark brown hue, light lacing with minimal head

Smell: lightly toasted malt aromas, little to no hop character

Taste: slightly unbalanced, toasted malt character

Mouthfeel: finishes very dry for an ale. Expected a smoother finish

Drinkability: sessionable at 5.5, not boosy, would order again under limited options. Not a bad beer, however easily forgotten.

crvcac, Sep 30, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

I walked out of my cabin, past the barn and out to the drying shed, loking to pick up some garlic and dried beans for dinner. As I made my way around the egg shed I saw one of the guys heaving a trashcan into a truck, struggling and losing. I lent a hand with the putrid bucket, full of what used to belong to a pig, head and guts. He thanked and offered a bottle of Tumbler, a gift he received for doing the slaughter.

Drank from the bottle in the sun, watching the clouds slowly swirl on the not so distant mountains. Clean, smooth, buts of earth and caramel and a hint, just a hint of roast.

I'm not sure if I would buy this one, but if offered I'll definitely drink it.

olympuszymurgus, Sep 30, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a mug. The label has a short discretion of the beer, the year it was brewed (2010) and its ABV% (5.5%).

Appearance: The body is dark brown with deep reddish amber highlights. Sitting on top is a tall thick and creamy beige head. The head has excellent retention and makes lots of sticky lace and lace rings on the glass.

Smell: I am hit with a big sweet maltiness in the nose. Fresh bready and sweet roasted barley note dominate but there are some hop notes as well sneaking in there too.

Taste/Palate: On the tongue there is a firm medium to full bodied malty sweetness with notes of brown sugar, caramel, roasted grain and fresh bread. On the back end there is a decent hop presence that balances out the big malt sweetness and adds a bit of earthy/leafy bitterness to the finish. The texture and carbonation are right on and keep things smooth but lively and very drinkable.

Notes: In my opinion this is a well made American Brown Ale and a good autumn release. I can see this beer pairing well with some of the hardier fall seasonal foods.

generallee, Sep 30, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Semi translucent dark brown with an off-white head and good lacing

S- Malty with some sweet caramel coming out

T- I get the sweet malt coupled wtih a crisp dry hop right off but the hops are the only finish

M- Fully bodied on the higher end of carbonation

D- I'd rather a brown with more malt and less hop but this one is not offensive

aepb1, Sep 29, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Tumbler pours a strikingly beautiful deep burnished bronze-brown with a thick fluffy head atop... I gave this one a perfect appearance score because it looks exactly the way I want a fall brew to appear... Deep and dark and warm looking...

Toasted malts and a hint of cocoa or chocolate in the background.... Nothing groundbreaking but pretty solid...

Sweet caramel malts with a hint of toastiness to them... A nice warm taste to this one... Just a good solid effort...

I could session this one easily if given the opportunity... Very solid and tasty.. A good effort here...

Tilley4, Sep 29, 2010
Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.