Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown AleSierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 07-25-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale Alström Bros
beergod1

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Another surprise from D. Kurtz. Hey lets try the new "Tumbler". "OK". Poured into Sam Adams glass, Dark translucent brown. 1 inch receding bubbly head. Not much aroma, maybe a little roasted malt. Taste of roasted malt for sure, and a hint of chocolate on the back. This reminds my of an English Brown. Not as full bodied or Malty as some American versions. Dry roasty, subtle hop finish. I can drink the hell out of this beer. Probably go as far as saying a "Session".

08-11-2010 22:40:57 | More by beergod1
Overlord

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear-ish deep brown. Ugh. Man, I just do not like the look of brown beers. Gimme gold, orange, red, pink, amber, just something other than brown. But, I guess for what it is, looks decent enough. Maybe half an inch of off-white foam.

Smells strangely chocolate-y with a surprising roasted tone to it. I have to admit, my first thought upon smelling this was: isn't this a porter?

Taste is, again, like a porter-brown ale hybrid. Which means I like it better than I do most brown ales. Roasted malt, a bit of burnt toffee, some chocolate, a bit of a dry, nutty, earthy quality. Decent flavor tones. Nothing too earth shattering.

Mouthfeel a bit thin. Not my favorite from Sierra Nevada, but it's certainly better than their anniversary series (which I have always hated, and am glad they retired).

08-11-2010 19:10:07 | More by Overlord
flagmantho

Washington

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: clear, deep amber-brown hue with a clear body. Head poured a pretty sizable three fingers and seems to have pretty good staying power. It's foamy in nature and a rich ivory in color. Good stuff!

Smell: a little bit of chocolate malt aroma but there's a grainy/sourish/almost skunky quality here of which I'm not a fan. Man, I don't know what it is but I just cannot get around it. Sad!

Taste: whatever that is in the aroma that I don't like, it's blessedly not present in the flavor. Nutty, slightly biscuity malt provides a very nice autumnal flavor. Hops are earthy and relatively light; they complement the malt well. There's a moderate and balanced bitterness toward the end; overall, this reminds me of a dark mild ale with a bit more oomph. If only this brew smelled as good as it tastes!

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation yields a pretty desirable and creamy mouthfeel. Good stuff!

Drinkability: man, if I hold my nose before it goes down the hatch it's pretty darn good stuff. I think this might be one of the first times I've had a beer that is much better out of the bottle than out of the glass -- you don't get as much smell.

I was drinking these the other night at my poker game as well, and don't recall this off-smell; of course, that was straight outta the bottle. Perhaps I shall have to sample this again later in the season.

08-11-2010 01:22:27 | More by flagmantho
Riccymon

2.73/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours from the bottle a brown-red hue with an attractive couple fingers of off-white head. Retention is decent for the style. I'm smelling rubbery grain and sulphur notes that I definitely wouldn't have expected. I'm guessing the hops contribute to this quality, but it's still a little weird though not awful by any means. It actually reminds me a little of a Euro lager of some sort... a helles, mostly.

In my first sip, and then throughout subsequent ones, a nice buttery biscuit note fades in and out. Mostly, though, the grain flavor is weak. The same earthy European hops (I was close... Yakima Goldings were used) that I smelled also coat the mouth and comprise the most dominant flavor. For a fall brown ale (even in spite of its August release), I'd hoped for a little more malty goodness out of Tumbler, but I can't knock the flavor too much.

Mouthfeel is thin and unexciting; there's not a lot of lasting flavor or body. All of these factors just serve to make Tumbler a miss as far as what I expect from a Sierra Nevada brown ale, especially after enjoying their porter and stout so much.

08-11-2010 00:30:29 | More by Riccymon
steveh

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Based on the SN rep, and a few good reports, I've been anxious to try this one.

A -- Clear, deep chestnut to mahogany brown with a thick, light tan head that settles slowly leaving very nice lacing.

S -- Earthy, nutty characters, vague citrus back. Pretty light in the aroma category, especially for the style.

T -- Flavor makes up for the lack of nose: rich, nutty malts up front with a mellow roastiness in between and finishes with a fine balance between hop bitterness and mild astringency from smoked malts -- of which follows up in the aftertaste. Some lingering residual sweetness with a light caramel character too.

M -- Creamy mouthfeel, slightly slick from unattenuated sugars -- vaguely resiny from hops, but not overdone, heavy medium body.

D -- Great drinkability. The balance of roasted malts and resiny hops is better in this brew than most (including some of SN's other beers), very easy drinking on cool nights in front of the fire pit!

08-10-2010 21:47:07 | More by steveh
DefenCorps

Oregon

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

Chris was adamant that I drink this. When I failed to drink it at Yosemite, he made me drink it when I got back.

Dark brown with good clarity, this beer has a dense, light brown head with excellent retention and lacing. The nose is rather bad, though. Sulfury with rotten eggs and caramel and toast. It would be good for breakfast if the eggs weren't rotten, maybe? A little brown sugar as well. The palate opens sulfury, dry, toasty and has some brown sugar and caramel. Moderate earthy hop character is present. Drying finish with some brown sugar and more sulfur. Light in body with moderate carbonation, this would actually be good if not for the sulfur. I'm going to have to revisit this.

08-10-2010 18:14:48 | More by DefenCorps
briman

Pours a dark, reddish brown, clear, with a cream colored head that retains well.

Aromas of freshly roasted nuts, with underlying lightly sweet caramel.

Flavor follows suit, with fresh roasted nuts, and light caramel. Clean malt flavor, with only a hint of hop bitterness to finish.

Medium body, with moderate carbonation. Overall a rich, roasty brown ale that seems ideally suited for a cool autumn evening. Smooth, and very easy to drink. Certaily will have again.

08-10-2010 04:24:19 | More by briman
manthedan

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a nice brown red color. Much different in taste and profile to the usual hoppiness of most of Sierra Nevada's beers but expected with this brown ale.

Not much nose or anything going on at all when putting my nose in the glass. Very drinkable, strong taste but slightly dry so the taste doesn't linger very long. Very good balance between sweet and bitter, right in the middle.

Goes down quite smooth for a 'heavy' beer, would definitely drink again.

08-10-2010 04:04:50 | More by manthedan
GregSVT

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy brown with a big off-white head that quickly fads to a ring leaving no real lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is roasty sweet malt and cocoa aromas.

T: Pretty good flavors of sweet bready malt and creamy cocoa with a roasty finish. Not bad for a regular brown ale.

M: The feel is creamy and medium bodied due to the carbonation.

D: Good brown ale that isn't short on flavor. I'd probably drink more of these if I was in the mood.

08-10-2010 01:21:54 | More by GregSVT
DESTRO

Nevada

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

oh browns, how i love thee. pours a deep brown/ruby/something pretty color with a decent head that dies down to a small ring that leaves some nice lacing. mainly nutty and malty in the nose and much of the same on the palate. but, in traditional SN style, it is hopped more than your usual brown. gives it a nice "bite". medium carbonation and pretty smooth. this is a winner and goes down with ease. easy ease.

08-09-2010 22:07:18 | More by DESTRO
zsk

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured a beautiful golden brown. Nice head retention

Aroma was of malt and ....is there some csacade? Not sure of that.

Tasted like my homebrew brown ale. Of course I like that! Malty..bready and caramelish? I've never done this with my homebrew, but this is reqally good beer.

Very drinkable. I had to sneak to get the glass back from my wife. Great beer.

I would enjoy this one all the way into fall.

Great Job SN. This one and the Glissade are wonderful!

08-09-2010 01:29:53 | More by zsk
cswhitehorse

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

The Autumn Tumbler poured a dark brown color with a 1-2 finger foam head. The nose was a little subdued and as it warmed it gave a crisp malt tone.

It had a clean malty taste with very little bitterness and overall it was simple and pleasing brew. I would buy again.

08-09-2010 01:11:33 | More by cswhitehorse
endincolorado

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

pours a light, chestnut brown with a copious amount of light, off-white head that settles slowly and leaves lots of lace.

aroma is of roasted malt and features a pleasant nuttiness, along with a faintly bitter hop background.

Taste is an excellent balance of sweet, nutty malt and roastiness backed by a light, crisp hop-bitterness to balance. Excellent aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is just right, with a medium body and appropriate amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a nice offering from Sierra Nevada and a welcome newcomer to the list of widely-available autumn brews.

08-09-2010 00:59:37 | More by endincolorado
Snamnoum

District of Columbia

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance - Clear dark brown with a garnet tone. Produced one finger of head which subsided quickly. Some lace.

Smell - some light toasted malt, yeast, and mild coffee.

Taste - crisp clear brown ale which begins with sweet malt and yeast, transitions into mildly bitter hops, and ends subtly sweet. IMO much better tasting than there other attempt at a lightly hopped beer (Kellerweis).

Mouthfeel - light/medium bodied with medium to high carbonation

Drinkability - exceedingly drinkable, easily polished off a six of this. One of my favorite brown ales from a style that I normally shy away from and find rather boring. A good solid well priced beer.

08-08-2010 20:10:27 | More by Snamnoum
mlazzaro

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Brown ale, smells fresh and tasty. Aroma of sweet malts, nice crisp finish to the sip. Smooth mouthfeel, very drinkable. Hop regiment is really subtle, and there just to make the malt stand out. Malty flavor and aroma really remind me of musty autumn. Great brown ale and absolutely suiting to the season.

08-08-2010 16:33:24 | More by mlazzaro
NCBeernut

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Crystal clear and of course brown - more orangish than reddish brown. A modest head ends with a firm coating - nothing crazy, but certainly to style. Lacing goes all the way down the glass.

Nutty chocolate malt leads the way in the aroma, paired with an overall earthiness from the hops that blends in nicely. I read that this has smoked malt - even knowing this, I can barely detect it. I don't think I would have picked it up otherwise. Also, little sweet smelling.

Flavor is definitely earthy and leafy with a fairly firm bitterness for the style. The hops have more presence here. A little cara-malt sweetness, but the balance definitely leans towards bitter. A slight nuttiness from the chocolate shows up near the finish. Virtually no roasted character, no smoked flavors.

The head indicated low carbonation, but the bitterness seems to enhance the perception of carbonation, giving it an almost prickly mouthfeel. I was expecting more from Sierra Nevada.

EDIT: Okay, so damn. Let this warm up - it definitely gets better at cellar temp. The bitterness is still too high and the hops a little too assertive for this style IMO, American or not, but the caramel malt comes out more and really helps to smooth things out a bit. Changing taste from 3 to 3.5 and giving it a little boost in drinkability. I might come back and change this again if it starts to really grow on me.

EDIT: Just popped another one. I'm getting some fait peat smoke that is coming through as a tobacco flavor. Pretty good. Boosting taste rating to a 4.

08-08-2010 13:46:02 | More by NCBeernut
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

This is my 2nd bottle... and I would never put this in the American brown category.... This should be an English Brown.

Pours with a nice tan head.. 1" ... The brew is crystal clear polished chestnut.

Nose is slight roasty qualities.. some good nutty notes and deep toast...

Flavor is very balanced... toasty malts... some roasted malt elements toward the finish that combine with a bit of minerally notes and seem only mildly (maybe in my head) astringent.. still plenty of roasted nut qualities throughout..

Lite/medium body with a nice smooth carbonation.

4/4/4/4/4.5

Edit: I really like this one.. I am not sure about some of the negative reviews.. but I honestly really dig the malt driven brown ale right now... even given the triple digit heat.

08-08-2010 08:40:28 | More by JohnGalt1
Brad007

Vermont

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a mild brown color with a two-finger head into my glass. Not a bad presentation to start off with.

Aroma is full of sweet malt that has just a hint of chocolate and caramel. It may seem odd at first but certainly not unusual. Very inviting.

Taste is full of sweet malt with a nice brown sugar feel to it. Very relaxed and subtle with little if any hint of hops. That's how a brown ale should be.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sweet malt. Again, very pleasant.

I think this brown ale is well done. It's the perfect fall beer if you're looking for something other than a marzen. I can see myself drinking more of it once it starts to cool off.

08-08-2010 03:30:52 | More by Brad007
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a rich, dark, opaque chocolate brown with a fine-bubbled tan head. Aroma is spicy and malty and has a hint of caramel. Mainly malty flavor has tones of cloves and cinnamon and caramel traces. Lively, fizzy texture leaves a strong tingle as well as a malty and spicy finish.

08-08-2010 02:09:32 | More by Cyberkedi
lovindahops

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

oh yeah, Autumn in August.

A- pours a hearty dark look of a brown ale with a great head that quickly recides. There are remnants of lacing on the side of the brew... it still did quickly go away

S- a fair caramel scent is emerged with a malt scent that trickles into the overall theme. There is even a slight hop bitteness that makes the brew connected to the style

T- a light and full at the same time conncoction of the brown ale style. A disciplined malt flavor is mixing with a slight smoked flavor

M- surprisingly crisp and flavorful

D- tumbler is a reasonable shot of a brown ale from the hop masters at SN. It's can be drinken at a reasonable degree. I enjoyed this with going down

08-08-2010 00:26:54 | More by lovindahops
rwf08

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

I have never done such a quick review of a beer.

This is pretty good. I wouldn't use this as a seasonal. It is pretty bland and underwhelming. I like it but there is nothing special about it and I have had much better browns.

I has lacing which is good but not much head. The smell is kind of nutty but mostly grainy. Taste is about the same with a little roast.

Mouthfeel is pretty good and I can drink it just fine. Just nothing special. Good beer but I wouldn't get it again when I can get year round browns that are better.

08-07-2010 18:34:16 | More by rwf08
schoolboy

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

OK, all my ratings on this beer are per this style (as they always should be, but in my case they are often just an overall rating). That said, this is a style I don't usually seek out. Although the "American" prefix makes this a more palatable style - I am usually not a big fan of these.

I almost didn't buy this but I thought SN might mkae this their own and make it good, and I think they did that. I also think they achieved what they set out to, creating an autum beer that fits the season well.

That part of it erks me. I sitting out here in the early August heat drinking this. I will put the rest away at least until the footballs are flying. It's good.

08-07-2010 17:44:30 | More by schoolboy
fragilehearted

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Yep, it's the hottest week in summer, highs in the 100s every day this week, & I'm drinking a fall beer. What? I drink Quads in colder weather, so browns are fair game for summer. =) 12oz bottle, 2010 version, into a pint glass.

A - medium-to-dark brown, very clear. Good beige head, a little sticks around for the drink. Left some nice patchy lacing as I drank it. Best part of this beer!

S - malty, but w/ hoppy background. There's a certain bitterness that keeps distracting from the maltiness I normally love in a brown...citrusy? (As I'm reading the reviews, I see someone mentioned sulphur/minerals...wow, OK, I can totally see that, unfortunately! I think it's the burnt malts...) I'm into aromas, so I'm docking points for this. Y'all, watch out for this beer, maybe don't smell it too much. =)

T - oh, too hoppy for a brown, for me. The hops overpower the malts, which I wasn't really expecting. Aftertaste is bitter, smokey. As the beer is warming (plus I'm having some cheese), the malts are coming though more, which pleases me greatly. Tastes a lot better than my initial sip, you can taste the caramel & toffee notes, hooray! Let it warm a bit, it helps!

M - fairly light & crisp for a brown. Maybe not so bad to be drinking this in the summer after all!

D - fine, I suppose. Goes down pretty easy, but at 5.5ABV, I definitely can drink much stronger, so I guess I might not be the best judge of this!

I don't really find it special & probably won't buy it again, though I would drink it at a party or something.

08-07-2010 08:27:54 | More by fragilehearted
droomyster

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown with mahogany edges and a khaki head that smells of toasted malts with some chocolate notes whispering in the distance. Taste is malt forward, thoroughly toasty, with earthy bitterness rounding it out. A bit undercarbonated IMO but tasty nonetheless.

08-07-2010 05:17:28 | More by droomyster
darkmartin

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance: Pours to a translucent dark brown with a big, foamy brown head. Thin lacing.

Smell: Smells of roasted malts and caramel.

Taste: Tons of malt and caramel, with a nice hoppy finish. The underlying chocolate flavors are offset by the finishing floral hops.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full-bodied brown ale. Finishes fairly clean with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a pretty decent brown ale. Very easy to finish but also nothing really that special.

08-07-2010 03:00:54 | More by darkmartin
Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.