Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown AleSierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Tumbler is our take on the classic brown ale – full of roasted malt flavor but delicate on the palate and perfect for crisp fall days. Layered with notes of chocolate and toasted bread and a hint of smoke, Tumbler is the ultimate autumn beer, so grab a seat and watch as the leaves come tumbling down.

2014 - Available in Fall Variety Pack (no longer available standalone)

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 07-25-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 1pt. 8oz. Bottle into Imperial.

Pours a nice, warm brown that is almost exactly the same shade as the bottle. Tawny and copper hints in the light and a fluffy buff head that laces fully and evenly.

Smells of caramel, maple, yeast, coffee, steamed milk and walnuts. Nose is subtle and understated, with the yeast, nuts and coffee fore. First taste is medium roasted coffee beans and nuttiness, some sweetness, with a slight milky finish. A nice overall dryness, but lacking a good portion of the complexity of the nose. The flavors warm and become deeper, a touch more robust, alongside the warming of the brew, but I don't notice any new flavors emerging.

It's odd that the milky qualities would be those that carried across the whole beer. The mouthfeel of this brew has the weight of milk, tempered by a mild astringency that peaks in the middle of a draught and fades out at the end to let sweetness and nuts handle the finish. Feels good to drink and I had no trouble putting this one away. I've always been partial to brown ales and I may make a habit of this one.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

A-Poured with no head to speak of. It is a dark brown with some amber/mahogany hues. It was actually a little darker than I expected.

S-Malts actually dominated which also surprised me. Its kind of nutty with some hops creeping in.

T-Malts play the lead here with some bready and nutty notes followed with some hop bitterness. Really delicious. It tastes like Fall.

M-About right for the style, not to thin or carbonated.

D-This is a true session beer.

Overall, this beer didn't disappoint. I thought it would be much hoppier, but Sierra Nevada did their best to stay true to the style and created what I consider a gem. I definitely recommend this beer and hope to enjoy it again in the near future.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Dark mahogany appearance, tan head and plenty of lacing. Roasted malt aroma, earthy with a touch of hop character. Tastes of more roasted malt, slight caramel, and a lingering smoke flavor. A great brown ale, superb maltiness; a great one for just about any meal.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

12oz bottle procured in dirty Jersey, poured into a pint glass.

Tumbler (i like the name) is a light brown color resembling a brown ale, that was simple enough. On top a tan head arose than diminished into some sparse bubbles. A bit of stickage to the sides. Smell is toasted malts, nuts, toasted qualities and not alot of hopping, just some earthiness in the back. Taste is a light brown, pretty simple, toast and the like with nuts and some small sugar sweetness, not all that large. Caramel. Feel is thin and approaching watery but not quite there. Carb is on the low side, not very lively on the mouth. Im not a brown ale type of guy but this remains drinkable, I could have two or so. A simple style from a brewery who knows how to nail down a style. A good one to give to somebody new to craft beer.

2.73/5  rDev -28.9%

A - A dark brown with a reddish hue, somewhat reminiscent of Autumn leaves.

S - Smells of roasted malts... not overly exciting

T - Roasted Malts, Roasted Malts, and Roasted Malts... I think that pretty much covers it. This beer is terribly unbalanced and goes overboard on the roasted malts.

M - Medium body ... just average

D - It's drinkable, the real question is whether or not you want to drink it.

Notes: Disappointing showing for Sam Adams. The balance on this beer was all out of wack.

I was surprised I hadn't seen this beer before. I had a sixteen ounce draft of this at Rattle n Hum, who were featuring this brewer during New York Craft Beer Week. I'm not a big fan of brown ales and I wasn't crazy about this either. A little more carbonated than I expected and a little light on flavor and aroma. If you like brown ales I think you'll like this one but I'm the wrong person to ask.

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

SN's latest seasonal - this is a 12 oz. bottle poured NOT to a tumbler, but to a pint glass. '2010' on the neck label, an annual release (fingers crossed), but I hope that folks won't decide to cellar a 5.5% brown ale just because there's a 'vintage' on the bottle.

A: Deep sienna, more ruddy than the label's milk chocolate coloring, perfectly 'autumn'-like. Clear when lifted toward light, small bubbles ascend steadily. Good head, a pile of near-white fluff, sturdy and sticky bands of lace.

S: Fairly strong aroma of toasted bread crust and nuts and char, light spicing and sweeter wafting caramel.

T: Roasted nuts, plenty of dark grain, some smoky hints. Good hop balance, green herbs with a subtle tart twist. Ashy dryness in the finish. A busy, flavor-rich brown ale.

M: Zesty feel, crisp carbonation and a sharp, mouth-watering tang. Maybe a little overly sharp (lasting tinny bitterness), medium body that smooths out after a few sips. Gassy in the gut.

D: Really tasty and wildly sessionable. A fine follow-up to new seasonals from Sierra Nevada (Kellerweis? Torpedo? now this?) plus a bounty of excellent 30th Anniversary beers...I'm noticing what's going on down in Chico and I like it a lot. Already have polished off a couple six-packs in the last month and guarantee more will meet the same fate. Recommended.

From a 12 oz bottle marked "2010" into a pint glass. Dark reddish brown clear color with some bubbles. Large, pillowy brown head slowly fades leaving good lacing. Nice looking head. Nose is malty with some coffee and powdery cocoa. In the mouth, it's bitter with burnt malt, hints of powdery chocolate, coffee, and a nice dry, biting finish. Mouth is smooth and slightly bubbly, very quenching. Drinkability is very good; I can easily see myself having several of these.

A pretty typical brown ale, quite enjoyable within its context. I would have again.

2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

Man, I was hoping for so much more in SN's brown (why? i dunno...). It's not like the bottle was old or stored improperly because, for a second, I thought this thing may have been spoiled - the head fizzed loudly almost immediately and collapsed to next to nothing in a flash. Wasn't picking up any off smells, so I went in for it.

Aside from the lousy head, I'll add that it was on the dark side for a brown - tiny touch of mahogany highlights, and the lacing was actually decent.

If the smell was any indicator of how it was going to taste - and it often is - it wasn't getting me remotely excited. A distinctly SN character emanated from the top, with a quite unappealing bitter and stale toast mix - the bitter maybe coming from the toasted grain or perhaps from the hops used - an essence that I pick up in their pale ale and others as well (not always a turn off). Maybe the water? In total, smell comes off as "neutral" - not smelling like much at all but burntness. I let it warm up over at least 25 min, too, and nothing better came of it.

Taste? Feel? Wasn't a whole lot to write home about. No caramel. No chocolate. No subtle fruitiness. Some thin malt and a dull acrid bitterness was all I picked up here. Hardly a shred of depth to the flavor or feel. Looking at the full name of the beer now, "Autumn" gives me the feeling that all I was drinking here was dead leaves, bark, and a touch of campfire ash. I've had quite a few bitter, dry brown ales, and this did not compare favorably.

While this wasn't heaveable, it was hardly good. Took a little work getting it all down (and I only started off with a half-pint). I'd consider trying this again, but only on tap at happy hour.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

I didn't know about this one till I saw it on sale at the local Rite-Aid for $13.99 a twelve pack. I love their pale ale, it was my first craft brew that I ever had, so I thought I'd give this one a whirl. Brownish amber with a soapy whitish head. Leaves some decent lacing. Smells of burnt caramel and toast. Lots of roasted malts, caramel and a good deal of hops on the taste. It has that Sierra Nevada taste. Good medium mouthfeel and a good sessionable bear. I'll definately look for this one next fall.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Two fingers of head, dark brown. Very foamy head.

S: Sweet caramel and some pale ale like hops.

T: Caramel/Toffee taste and some bitter hops (cascade I think). Hoppier than I expected. Lots of sweet bready malts that allow it to be a brown style.

M: Thicker syrupy feel than other brown ales I've had.

D: Fits nicely in the Sierra Nevada family of brews. Has qualities that are similar to their Torpedo & Pale Ale. A great seasonal release and great addition to the brown ales available in CA.

4.68/5  rDev +21.9%

Pours a perfect shade or brown, with an inch of tan head. Lots of lacing on the side of my pilsner glass.
Nose is a bit lackluster, very clean for an ale, its almost like smelling a lager.
The taste makes up for the nose. Lots of caramelized sugar, and toffee, with a slight hint of hops in the back.
Nice mid bodied mouth-feel. Goes down nicely, but at 5.5% that's about what i would expect. So glad to see a nice, low abv, beer that's tasty without being hoppy enough to melt you teeth(not that there anything wrong with hop bombs.) This is the best brown ale i have had, and one of the best beers period. Kudos to you Sierra Nevada.

The beer is rich, medium brown in the glass, with a head that dissipates fairly quickly. The smell is toasted bread and the taste is also predominantly toasted grain. The mouthfeel is medium-light and the finish is a nice balance of crisp and dry. For me this is another instance of Sierra Nevada taking a style of beer and doing it noticeably better than the "standard." Among not-yet-super-serious beer aficionados, Newcastle is the standard brown ale. Tumbler is clearly better than Newcastle.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Grabbed a sixer of these cause Sierra Nevada rarely goes wrong. This was a solid brown. Lots of standard caramel maltiness with a fruity hop presence as well. Nuts and slight earthiness. A touch of roastiness, but not a stout-knock-off. Body is medium, light, with fairly high carbonation. Highly drinkable, could be a session brew. One I'd grab again, a good example of the style.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Saw that this came out for the fall and never had it before. Like most Sierra Nevada Beers, I was excited for this but I have to admit that this was a bit of a letdown. Not a bad brew, but with all the Brown Ales out there, this one didn't stand out from the others very much.

Of course, the pour was the best aspect of this, like so many other beers in the SN portfolio. A nice head, subdued brown hue,and a decent amount of lacing could easily be discerned and the carbonation was just enough to cause the lacing, without overpowering the flavor. This didn't have the caramel and sugary sweetness that so many other beers in this style had but rather, it was quite malty with just a hint of the trademakr hoppiness in the aftertaste. Went down pretty easy but there wasn't a lot to think about as I had this, which tends to be the case in most of the Brown Ales that I've had over the years.

5.50%? Only on the bottle. It's there but you'll hardly feel it as one of these gets popped open and enjoyed during the changing of the leaves. I can't say not to try this but if there are a lot of Fall and Octoberfest beers available where this is found, then you might want to see what else is out there. This can only be recommended for the die-hard SN fan.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good-looking medium brown brew with a frothy light tan head and good carbonation. Aroma is light an nutty. Flavor is deep and malty, probably more so than I expected. Well done. A very fine quality brown ale. I have had better, and I have had worse, but this is fairly drinkable with a light fizzy finish.

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: Fairly bright brown.
Smell: Not a ton of nose.
Taste: Sharp initial bite, not particularly balanced but okay. Wish it had more flavor.
Mouthfeel: Decent smooth mouthfeel, not enough malts for my taste buds. Very dry.
Drinkability: This one is fine, but definitely not an all-time favorite from Sierra Nevada.
Cool label, great Autumn vibe.

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

A pefect late afternoon fall beer.
A well balanced full body beer that is slightly bitter or dry on finish.
A rich roasted malt taste with toffee tones and a hint of espresso. Not to much hops.
A roasted maybe even a slightly burnt aroma.
Pours a deep rubby brown with a nice tan foam head. Good carbo's keeps the foam afloat through out. Good lacing.
Worthy
Drink well my friends

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Nice dark brown color with reddish highlights. Thick creamy head that left lots of pretty lacing behind. Good looking beer!

Aroma was really nutty, malty. Plenty of freshly baked bread in here. SN talks about how quickly the grain for this beer goes from toasting/roasting/malting to brewing and boy, you can get that in the aroma.

Taste is full of all those aroma malt characters plus a good dose of bitterness and some nice hop flavors. Hop flavors had a bit of citrus but more earthy floral character. Nicely balanced beer.

Mouthfeel was great for a brown ale. Very solid but not heavy. Excellent, highly drinkable Fall beer.

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

finally a cool enough evening to make for good darker beer tasting.

A-Light tan three finger head (not the cat's fault this time). Incredible retention but iffy lacing. Nice dark reddish/ruby brown, translucent, but not hazy.

N- much more Citrusy hop smell than I had expected, and some bready notes. sweetness to it also, like a toffee smell. overall have to whiff it pretty hard to get more than the hops. smells way over hopped for a brown ale.

T-follows nose. like a brown IPA, way too much hop presence for a Brown ale, no real malt backbone for it at all. little sweet flavor toward the end but not throughout the finish, and the flavor ends abruptly no lingering flavor. take that back some citrus hop flavor lingers faintly. Little bit of roasted malt shows up after the beer warms a bit in the glass.

M- little less viscus than I would prefer, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it thin. nice crisp bite and a lingering bit of that bite sticks around for a while.

D- Not a bad session ale. Had I gone into this looking for a hop bomb of a brown I'd love it, but I was hoping for a more malty beverage. I'll have to revisit this when I'm in the mood for an IPA.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Semi-tranparent, deep brown color. Ruby hues when held up to light. Unrelenting, creamy head with tons of frothy lace.

Some old, musty, leafy type aromas. Smells like fall. Maybe the thick head is hiding some of the aromas.

Solid malt character with some maple sweetness and smooth milk chocolate. Piney, leafy hops jump into the mix with a mild bitterness that is just enough to keep things interesting. Very well balanced flavor.

Medium-bodied and plenty of carbonation. Creamy texture throughout.

An excellent brown ale and an awesome fall seasonal. Sierra Nevada never fails to impress.

2.28/5  rDev -40.6%

This is a good looking beer; but don't judge a beer by its cover. I might be somewhat uneducated regarding brown ales, but this ale has the taste of burnt bacon with a pungent aroma. I have always been very impressed with SN but this comes up short. Still a brewery that others should aspire to reach but I will stick with pale ale and torpedo until the celebration ale comes out.

3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours nicely, with a thick head that goes away after a couple of minutes. I'm not going to mince words - this beer smells quite literally like fecal matter. Maybe I have a bad batch, but this beer smells sweet, with a hint of poop. Tastes nutty, clean, not bad. Glad it doesn't taste like it smells. Clean mouthfeel...

I'm sorry, I can't really say anything else. I am literally overwhelmed, this beer smells awful. Sorry SN. I love your beers. This one smells horrendous though.

Hopefully just a bad bottle. I'll see if the rest of my sixer is any better.

EDIT- 2/6 bottles in the sixer had this happen. the rest were the same as above without the poop smell.

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Solid brown ale from SN. Just "nutty" enough to give you a real sense that fall is in the air but not overwhelming. This is a very drinkable brown ale wheteher during the afternoon BBQ or a quiet, cool fall evening of relaxing. Great offering but would any less be expected from SN?

This brew's a pretty straightforward brown color with no real hints of anything else. Just brown. A tan head about one finger tall forms, stays around for awhile, and leaves pretty good lacing behind.
A toasty malt makes the backbone of the aroma. Also contributing are light smoky notes, a bit of nuttiness and a light touch of bittersweet chocolate. It's malt-forward, but there is a smell of hops in here as well.
Just as malt forward in the flavor, the smoky notes come out more up front as well as the chocolate. Nuts are still here. Plenty of toastiness completes the malty profile and, just rounding it out, a light touch of piny hops is present.
The body is medium. There's little carbonation to speak of, which is good in this one. There's just a bit of crispness up front and the body is sufficiently smooth to be pleasant.
This is a nice beer with a surprisingly more stout-like character than a typical brown.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.