Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Estate Homegrown Wet Hop AleEstate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale

pDev: 9%
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2010

"Taste fresh-from-the-field flavors with this handmade, homegrown, and completely natural ale. Made with organic wet hops and barley grown at our brewery in Chico, this remarkable ale is the only one of its kind."
Reviews: 533 | Hads: 1,298
2.68/5  rDev -34.8%

If my neighbor made this I'd nicely tell him it's good. Unfortunately Sierra Nevada made it, and it's not so good. Overly malty and very muddled, competing flavors. Snobs would describe it as nuanced. I'd say it's mediocre and unbalanced. (242 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -34.1%

Thanks to MasterSki aka Alex for bringing this by. Nice green wax on the bottle, didn't know SN did this.

A - An amber colored beer with a nice head that left some spots and chunk on the side and had nice drag throught the consumption of this beer.

S - Slight smell of ammonia, as well as some sort of weak dish soap, kind of reminds me of the ginger they give you with sushi. Pine hops, not particularly resiny, and a bready backbone, but it all smells a little weak.

T - Don't like this. Some sort of hops and the usual weak organic flavoring that may taste natural but doesn't take good. I feel this might be mislabeled as an IPA, reminds me of some sort of organic rice lager or something, if that exists.

M - A lower carbonation beer for something this light, although that's not horrible.

D - Not like I couldn't drink it, but I didn't really want to so after about three quarters of my glass I let the drain finish this off. It's a drinkable beer, but if I'm going to drink I'd rather put something down with better taste. The highlight of this beer for me was the nice looking wax, and I couldn't help lamenting after the fact that this bottle was a waste of good wax. (1,182 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -32.4%

Bottle into my Narke, provided by Alex...Pours a clear and bright, but super dark copper. Watery and whispy off white head, retention is poor, ok lacing...The aroma is terrible, all throw up on the front, rice and wood. I don't even want to drink to try it...The taste thankfully isn't as bad, light dry hops, alcohol but a light sweet finish. You can tell this is organic, not a good way. A beer worth skipping. The aroma makes it super tough to drink, if it wasn't as strong I could probably drink more of this. (513 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -31.6%

750ml bottle into glass pint.
45°F

$9.99 / ea.

A: Bright amber body topped with an enormous rocky head of excellent retention that leaves behind fantastic sticky lace and a thick rocky cover.

S: Just a hint of orange citrus and a plethora of floral hop character. Enticing perfume.

T: Bready backbone that serves as a vehicle for the piney hops that dominate the brew. Strong bitter aftertaste with a heavy resin character. A bit one dimensional and overbearing.

M: Moderate body and virtually no carbonation. Oily.

D: Not a particularly enjoyable IPA. Too flat, the aftertaste is distracting, and it is ultimately too expensive for what you are getting.

O: I would take their standard pale ale or Torpedo over this one any day of the week. (748 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from a green wax adorned (which, by the way, I spent a tortuous amount of time trying to remove) 25.4oz bottle into a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. Beer emerges clear and an amber golden color with a slightly ecru colored head of about two fingers in size.

Aroma is not as hoppy as I would have thought. I would think that the fresh hops would give a nice, hop aroma, but this one slightly disappoints. Musty and earthy hop aroma with a bit of burnt rubber.

Flavor is okay. More earthy, spicy hops in the flavor with a good malt backbone. A touch of caramel and a slight nuttiness. Hops bitterness kicks in toward the back end. Tastes kind of like sucking on a sock full of hops, grass, and Corona.

All in all, I was disappointed with this one. The idea of fresh hopped ale is tantalizing, but I have found only two or three examples of such that are delicious or offer something different than a typical, "dry hops" hopped beer. Decent mouthfeel with a nice bitterness; carbonation is spot-on. Only paid $10 for this, which is about $2 too much, if you ask me. I would choose Sierra Nevada Pale Ale over this any day. (1,132 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -28.2%

Bottle purchased from Whole Foods. Served in a Rodenbach tulip.

A - Two fingers of off-white foam that settle to a thin cap and thick collar, leaving behind spotty lace. Transparent coppery body.

S - Extremely catty and earthy hops, with a bit of pine and soap mixed in there as well. Whatever they are growing on their estate, they aren't the hops I like. The malt character is mostly biscuit and also has notes of wild rice. Not pleasant in my book.

T - Taste is bready malt and nondescript hop bitterness in the finish. Would probably impress me more if it was called an American Pale Ale.

M - Very smooth, soft texture. Medium body with pleasant active carbonation. Slightly dry and bitter finish. Nothing off-putting here.

D - I finished my glass, but I think about a third of the bomber ended up going down the drain as no one wanted seconds. If you're into the type of hop profile I described, you'll probably dig this, but I'm with Overlord on this one and want more citrus character. I guess that's the gamble with growing your own hops - if they don't turn out like you planned you still have to make a beer with them. (1,133 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -28%

2011

Aroma- not much going on.. some faint citrus and pineapple.
Appearance- Nice copper color with quick disappearing head.
Taste- Light citrus, piney/grassy hops.. lingering bitterness.
Mouthfeel- Smooth with decent carbonation...

Was expecting a lot more... I had the 2010 version last year and remembered it not being as bitter as this years. Wont be picking this one up again (384 characters)

My experience was more like a 2.5 but it's not entirely the beers fault. Once i got home i realized it was the 2014 edition. Probably bottled around six months ago? Unfortunately, the hops had disappeared and i was left with a funky, malty mess. Would love to try it fresh. (273 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

not exactly what i expected but still good

a- dark orange almost a burnt in some light, very bodied, cant see through the glass unless held to light
s-very citrusey as expected, a nice sierra neveda hop smell as usual
t- this is the only area i felt really lacking, not enough bite or biter, it could be from the wet hop deal not sure yet, i was really hoping for more flavor
m-its ok
d- i could pound these all day in the summer, i might try and save one or two just to see if it appeals more then

not my favorite sn product but its not horrible by any means (564 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -26%

On tap at Toronado, served in a pint glass.

A - Honey-colored, with very little head -- just a thin cap. Part of that was the pour, but then again there was very little retention and no lacing, so I'm not inclined to give any more credit here.

S - Grassy hoppiness, like wet lawn clippings, are the dominant aroma, but there's also caramel and toffee in the background. Not very aromatic at all. Almost like an old keg, but I don't think that's the case here.

T - Well, blah. Nothing here that I was hoping for. The usual SN hoppy bite that I've come to expect isn't there. Plenty of malt, and the hops, while there, are very mild. I didn't get much of the grassiness that was in the nose, but it definitely has a polite bitterness. It seems almost... balanced? Not bad by any means, but just not superlative.

M - Solid and full, with good carbonation. One of the better aspects of this brew for me.

D - It's definitely got some abv weight to it, since I could feel the difference after the pint. I specifically ordered this to test it before dropping $10 on a bottle, and I'm glad I did -- I won't be getting one.

O - Disappointed to say the least. While it's not a bad beer, it seems more like a solid APA than an IPA. A rare miss for me from SN. (1,258 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: Pours a pale off white, two fingered head into a pint glass. Color is a deep orange almost rustlike flavor with lots or bubbles leading up to the head. When held to light, has a reddish hue.  This beer looks great.  Head retention is good, and there is some great lacing from the hops.

Smell: There's not a whole hell of a lot of aroma to this beer, I sniffed at it a few times and didnt pull alot from it. Some floral hops, maybe a little citrus. I feel a slight predjustice towards this beer. It being organic, I thought it would have a ton of fragrance, it did not.

Taste: The taste is a little piney, with some fresh citrus and hop oil, but not alot of hop bitterness until the end. Again, the organic label left me thinking a lot more fresh flavors would be present, and I didn't see them.

Mouthfeel is very slick, mild carbonation that is smooth on the way down, and then bites on the end.

Overall, a decent beer, but I am a little disappointed. I didn't come into this beer experience with an open mind, and that's probably why. I had high expectations, I got this in a sampler pack with some over very good beers, and this is by far the least impressive. (1,183 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -24.3%

The beer is crystal clear and appears copper to amber in color. The head is thick and dense, measuring just over an inch after a leisurely pour. Plenty of lacing left on the tulip glass. The aroma offers dank hops, malt, and an odd scent with a funky character. It smells similar to cleaning carpets. Hmm....the taste has the same character. Not bad, per se, but not even in the same league as the Founders Harvest Ale I just enjoyed. Decent feel, with a lingering wet hop flavor, as well as the damp basement oddness. Overall, not worth $10. Nothing special here.

Notes: waxing a fresh hop beer? Seems like a marketing gimmick if ever I saw one. (648 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Primed for the first pitch of the NLCS Game 6...GO GIANTS!!!

Pours a beautiful ruddy amber, three fingers of rocky head that settles into a half-finger of nice, persistent creaminess and leaves awesome lacing. Lots of flowery hops in the nose, also a sort of medicinal element in there too, and I'm not sure I like that latter quality. Good carbonation....It smells "fresh" for some reason...flavor is a weird concoction of hops, skunky Humboldt green, and a certain sweetness which is well placed and balances the beer nicely. The carbonation is a little lacking, and I would have liked more of it. The finish is super-duper-long and bitter in a really wonderful way. The flavor is also very "fresh". I like the freshness a lot. Painfully expensive at $8.99/half-liter so drinkability suffers. A really pleasant beer, not great and too expensive.

What I like most: The fresh qualities in the nose and flavor.

What I like least: The price and lack of strong carbonation.

Verdict: good effort from SN but unfortunately not worth the price. (1,042 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -22.1%

Really "home grown" as all the ingredients are grown on the S.N. property.

Dark amber color with a good head. Nice aroma, citrus, spice.

Very good taste with a nice hoppy flavor. "Strong" flavor but no harsh at all. Took my time with this one and really enjoyed it. Not a guzzler.

Hoppy finish. This is a really nice IPA. Not a crazy price for an "exclusive" IPA either. (376 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -21.2%

Aromas are of juicy grapefruit and some pine. Classic Sierra Nevada nose.

The taste follows the nose with light toasty malt, some sweet caramel malts but mostly it's about the juicy hops. Lots of grapefruit and a touch of resiny pine. Lingering wet-hop juicy bitterness, a little too much for my liking. Wet hop ales should be more about aroma in my opinion. Moderate carbonation, good creaminess. Call it medium in heft.

Overall this is a decent beer, but it's disappointing because it's so similar to so many other Sierra Nevada offerings and because of the price point, really not worth the extra dollars in my opinion. Worth a go I guess just to say that you tried it and I appreciate the value of a decent organic offering as well. (738 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -20.4%

A: The color is like a beautiful honey, great carbonation.

S: Obviously hop forward, not as balanced in aroma as I expected. Pretty simple.

T: Some hop bite, not much of a malt backbone for the amount of hops. I feel it is out of balance.

Overall: I think this beer, objectively speaking, is a mid-level IPA. However, once you add in the higher price and hype it falls short. The color is nice, and it does gain complexity when it warms; I'm happy I tried it once, but once in enough. (487 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

poured into cervoise. From notes.

A - Pours a hazy yellow to amber with decent lacing. The head is off white to white and fluffy, common with Sierra Nevada.

S - Piney, grassy and some caramel malt. Not as citric or as 'fresh' smelling as one would expect

T - Similar to the nose. More of the grassy bitterness, even though this is a wet hop ale, just a bit too much. The sweet malt comes out in the back in the form of caramel and sweet bread.

M - Clean and crisp. Medium body with too much effervescence.

D - Decent and smooth enough to drink. I think this one was inconsistent with Sierra Nevada's usual product. Overpriced also. (637 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Split a bottle cold poured into a snifter. The beer pours a amber to copepr color with minimal edge layer of head and some wispy islands in the center of my glass.
Aroma is pine sap and some grass. not too much else going on with a fairly mild nose.
First sip reveals an average body and fine gentle carbonation.
Flavor is grainy caramel malt briefly and then moves to pine sap hops and a bit of wet grass. The beer is an easy drinker yet not outstanding. I dont get any hints of booze and the flavor profile is clean and simple.
Not an offensive beer for certain, and it is enjoyable, just not memorable. (606 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19%

Notes from 1-2-11
Poured in to Duvel Tulip

A - Deep amber olour with one finger of foamy, bubbly off-white head.

S - Bitter piney hops with some light citrus notes. A sweet malt backbone rounds it out.

T - Hops up front with some pine and grassy notes as well as light citrus notes. Not as bitter and hoppy as I expected. A sweet malt backbone is definitely present here. This is a very nice and drinkable beer but something is missing here. The hops are somewhat dull and lack punch. You can tell they are there but they just lurk in the background and fail to really make their mark on this beer.

M - Medium body, oily, slightly chewy. Lightly carbonated.

D - Not as bitter and hoppy as I expect from an IPA, especially a SN offering. Slightly disappointing. (769 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -18.2%

Enjoying this beer poured from wax topped bomber into my favorite vessel, a Sebago Brewing Co. tulip glass. I'm not usually interested in Sierra Nevada, however, I go weak at the knees at the mention of "wet" hops.

A - Poured aggressively, the head was substantial, frothy and sticky. Subsided quickly, but meager amounts of lacing clung to the walls as the volume decreased. A deep rich amber body led to the high appearance rating. It wreaks of quality from first sight.

S - Faint whiffs of hops are over powered by malt. Nowhere near enough aroma hops for my liking, my expectations were set high.

T - Grapefruity bitterness gives way to caramel malt, again too soon for my liking. Some slight bitterness lingers on the palette.

M & D - Appearance, Mouthfeel & Drinkability save this beers rating. It's a good looking beer, with a nice tight carbonation, and sticky, syrupy mouthfeel, with drinkability that borders on superb. If I were ordering this on tap, I'd probably go back for more. The 6.7% ABV is apparent, and leaves me wanting another.

Nice packaging, nice looking, but in the end, the nose & flavor came up short of great. Great drinking beer, but not worth the $10 price tag in my opinion. A fresh growler of this beer would sway me. (1,254 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a waxed bottle into a Duvel tulip. Kind of strange that this would get the wax treatment....but whatever, it's all good

A- pours a dark, cloudy shade of amber with a two finger slightly offwhite head. Lacing is so so. Really dark for an IPA

S- the hop aroma is minimal, getting some citrus. Not much going on here

T- I'm getting a sharp hop taste, piney and resinous. Not much citrus going on here. It reminds me of a cross between SNPA and Torpedo, leaning towards the SNPA. A little too similar for my tastes

M- feel is a little syrupy at first, but finishes kind of thin. Really bizarre

O- I expect more out of Sierra Nevada, this fell flat with me. (669 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25.4oz bottle, with a solid green wax neck covering, that cracks into a few too many small pieces for my liking as it dig for the cap. No date info, from a wee little 'gem' of a store in Hawi, Hawaii.

This beer pours a slightly hazy medium golden hue, with two fingers of foamy, bubbly ecru head, which leaves a nice tight honeycomb pattern of lace around the glass as it evenly recedes.

It smells of very mild bland citrus, some zingy leafy hops, and an equally understated bready caramel malt. The taste is subtle grapefruit, orange, and tropical fruit hops, a further, late-arriving herbal weediness, and equally muted bready, crackery malt. A tiny warming arises alongside the elevated pace of local environment-induced warming .

The bubbles are quite weak and powerless, the body a so-so medium weight, and smooth in the same vein. It finishes with a final flourish of meekness, the hops and malt taking it ridiculously easy.

An underwhelming offering, but one also totally lacking in overt offensiveness, so, given my current lanai-facing situation, I can't fault it _too_ much, can I? (1,095 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Picked this up at Total wines for $4.99. With a $2 coupon, came out to $3. Just for that alone it's worth a try. ( the manger said it was the best price around, and I agreed)
As the picture reflects, it is waxed sealed, nice touch for the price.

Poured from 25.4oz bottle into Bruery Tulip.

Amber to Orange color, almost dull gold, about two inches of head that fades to just less than one, that sits like cream on top.

Aroma was not as hoppy as I've come to expect from Sierra Nevada. ( but maybe I've just been having too many DIPA's lately)
Though there are nice herb or earth notes, citrus, and sweet malt

Flavor is also earthy, herbal with hints of caramel, hop bitterness and some citrus. Not too complex, some what mellow, but fairly well balanced. I let this warm up for while, and the hops came through a lot more.

Light to medium mouth feel, with some bitterness, but a smooth pale ale finish. The abv is not that high, but given the size, one bottle in a sitting is more then enough with this flavor profile..

Interesting brew. I like the concept, and the land around the brewery certainly gives a unique flavor to this IPA, though maybe not a great one. (not bad either) A Solidly brewed, but less hop bite that I've come to expect and anticipate with SN. My guess is that maybe they just didn't have enough of their hops to do that. (1,358 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

i love sierra nevada they brew really great beers. i was surprised to come across this brew.

the bottle comes with a thick green wax layer over the cap to ensure total freshness

murky burnt orange in color with a finger ov white head leaves minor lacing along glass.

very slight citrus smell.

probably one of the freshest beers iv ever tasted. a very hoppy yet smooth backbone a slight sweetness from malts through out. and a strong bitterness left on the pallet.

a little runny and slightly sticky very fine carbonation

overall a very nice brew. im looking forward to getting ahold ov there DevESTATEtion even more now. (627 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a slightly cloudy ice tea color with two fingers of off-white foamy suds that stick to the side of the glass.
Smell is sweet hop and sugar malts. No alcohol.
Taste is kind of blah where the taste of the hop is hidden by the malts.
Mouthfeel is a bit sticky and malt heavy.
Drinkability is only OK. Nothing great here, mediocre like all of Sierra Nevada's brews are. (375 characters)

Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.