Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Estate Homegrown Wet Hop AleEstate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

"Taste fresh-from-the-field flavors with this handmade, homegrown, and completely natural ale. Made with organic wet hops and barley grown at our brewery in Chico, this remarkable ale is the only one of its kind."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2010)
carpezytha

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Served in red wine glass.

A: Deep reddish copper body with decent head with good lace traces.
S: Floral with some hay traces. Distingué traces even, as Johnny Hartman would second. There is even room for some wet wool among the floral scents.
T: Hops should really be presented the way it is in this brew, in my opinion, if they are going to be put on prominent display. The hops in this brew compared to the hops in a lot of the trendy super-hoppy stuff out there now, is like comparing the difference between an art school nude model and a stripper. You may be impressed by the stripper when she sits in your lap, but don't look in her eyes because you will see that there is no there there. There is a difference and I am glad they got it. This beer seems nuanced, attentive, and accentuating the beauty that is there in the hop plant. The many little hop bites are more seductive than one huge hop hammer blow, allowing the malts and yeast to have their say. The label says grapefruit but I do not actually get tons of citrus. More melon rinds than citrus.
M: Evenly reaching all areas of the mouth, this floral, hoppy brew has a mildly lively mouthfeel.
D: Hey, the Giants are in the playoffs for the first time in years and I cannot get it on my TV. This brew soothes whatever hurt that may have caused, and will soothe many a more. Salut!

10-08-2010 02:34:37 | More by carpezytha
Dspohn

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

24 oz. bottle with light green wax and a pretty cool label.

This beer is a little darker than some IPA's, a more copper hue with a great head that left some fat, thick rings and globs of lacing. Very leafy and fresh hops in the smell and flavor profiles with a nice strong malt backbone. Deliciously bitter pine and rind character with a hefty sweet caramel malt side that really gives this beer a great combination for an IPA. Super floral hops and pretty resinous and sticky as well. A wonderfully fuller mouthfeel with ample carbonation really adds to this beer.

At almost 10 bucks a pop I probably wont drink many of these but it was quite good, comparable to Celebration. They have some similarities but the wet hop harvest has a great floral/sticky hop presence that I really enjoyed.

10-08-2010 19:53:50 | More by Dspohn
mjsheehan08

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance: Pours a pale off white, two fingered head into a pint glass. Color is a deep orange almost rustlike flavor with lots or bubbles leading up to the head. When held to light, has a reddish hue.  This beer looks great.  Head retention is good, and there is some great lacing from the hops.

Smell: There's not a whole hell of a lot of aroma to this beer, I sniffed at it a few times and didnt pull alot from it. Some floral hops, maybe a little citrus. I feel a slight predjustice towards this beer. It being organic, I thought it would have a ton of fragrance, it did not.

Taste: The taste is a little piney, with some fresh citrus and hop oil, but not alot of hop bitterness until the end. Again, the organic label left me thinking a lot more fresh flavors would be present, and I didn't see them.

Mouthfeel is very slick, mild carbonation that is smooth on the way down, and then bites on the end.

Overall, a decent beer, but I am a little disappointed. I didn't come into this beer experience with an open mind, and that's probably why. I had high expectations, I got this in a sampler pack with some over very good beers, and this is by far the least impressive.

12-05-2010 05:47:52 | More by mjsheehan08

01-08-2012 12:13:33 | More by gushov
llllDrGONZOllll

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Wax covered 750ml bottle poured in to my stemmed tulip

Giant less than white head is hanging tough. Lacing quite dense only leaves its thick stain after i take a sip. An island of thick bubbles presides in the center of my glass even as i gulp away. A hazy maroon body laced with golden touches rests peacefully under the mounds of head.

The aroma is breathtaking, my nosed is tickled with waves of grapefruit, pine, dark fruits, mangoes and call me crazy fresh sliced New Jersey sweet tomatoes? My first sip was less bitter than I was expecting, yet very delicious all the same. I must say this ale is very hoppy in the flavor department more than other wet hop ales. I find the layers of hops sticky and clinging to the insides of my cheeks and the back of my tongue. The tastes are much like the aromas , only more prominent. I enjoy the nice dry finish that gives the light body a clean fresh caramel grain accent. The rarity of this delight is not keeping me from quaffing this fantasy down. I only hope I will have a sip left to taste this when it warms a tad more.

11-04-2010 00:43:17 | More by llllDrGONZOllll
bayner34

Indiana

07-23-2012 20:34:12 | More by bayner34
Anaz

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

A- Deep red amber, with a full fluff head that seems to last forever.

S- Piney, woodsy hops with citrus, but a little catty underneath.

T-Piney, fresh grass with grapefruit and mandarin peel supported by sweet caramel malt.

M-Full bodied ale, that finishes with a deep malty sweetness and a firm bitterness.

D-Delicious brew, drinkable, but I wish it finished a little drier, as the sweetness could get a little cloying despite the hops.

11-15-2010 03:15:29 | More by Anaz
methtlcai

11-22-2012 17:50:01 | More by methtlcai
nniicckkww

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Once I got through the wax, I poured this into my Sam Adams glass. Amber reddish color. Crystal clear. Beautiful head. Burnt orange and white. It's like merrange. Ridiculous retention.

Aroma is very enticing. Citrus grapefruit. Pine. Slight mildew, mold aroma. My wife agreed. I attribute this to the 'wet' hops.

Smooth mouthfeel. Medium body. Dry. Slightly sweet toasted malt. Complex. Lots of hop flavor. Grapefruit. Pine. Earthy spiciness. A pronounced bitter finish. Delicious.

A bit pricey for almost $10 a bottle. But it's damn good. Being on the eastcoast, I'd pick this over a PtE any day (I've only had a three week old PtE). I love the complexity here. It's hoppy yet so much more.

10-17-2011 21:45:55 | More by nniicckkww

Connecticut

03-13-2012 14:18:07 | More by Winslow
robinsmv

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a wax dipped 750ml bottle into my Duvel tulip. Pours a deep copper with a big offwhite head. The initial smell is a nice citrus hop with a little malt coming through as well. The hops are definitely there at first sip (no big suprise there). The citrus is there up front with more earthy/grassy/piney hops quickly taking over. The hops are nicely balanced and in no way overpowering. The finish leaves some hop bitterness behind. There is a good level of carbonation that helps cut through the hoppiness to make this a very drinkable IPA.

01-06-2011 03:52:03 | More by robinsmv
Hands22

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

On tap at Whole Foods.

A- dark coppery color. Poured a mall head that faded quickly. Brilliantly clear.

S- piney, citrusy hops typical of a west coast IPA dominate. No malt noticeable.

T- hops dominate throughout with a piney flavor. Bitter but not overwhelming, very nicely balanced. Some light malt sweetness, but very very slight.

M- medium bodied. Medium-high carbonation. Bitter but not astringent.

O- an excellent IPA that showcases the west coast style without going overboard. Not really all that bothered with the organic thing, but as a gardener myself I appreciate the homegrown aspect. A pleasant beer that I would drink again if given the chance.

10-17-2011 22:23:02 | More by Hands22
Hellabeerguzzler

3.9/5  rDev -6%

a - almost opaque light amber with generous chunky white top and nice lacing
s - smells citrusy, hoppy, with a sweet maltyness
t - the smell was on the thin side but the taste was a surprise. Very rich with a thicker creamier taste and when combined with the hops and a little tart citrus, well, it was nice. Very good actually.
m - another surprise for me. It was clean and crisp with a nice carbonation - I expected gummy from the appearance but it wasn't. Very nice.
d - another one to add to my list of highly drinkable ales. I'm getting some more of these.

This review may be tainted a bit by the delicious local italian bistro pizzeria that I washed down with this delicious ale but nevertheless, this was delicious and my only regret is that I didn't buy two... or ten...

02-11-2011 03:13:28 | More by Hellabeerguzzler

erikl48

12-15-2012 14:56:46 | More by erikl48
telecomz

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a very good beer. Pours a beautiful color between mahogany and copper.

This one is all about taste. No head not much in the aroma department.

Well balanced hoppiness. Slight sweetness and outstanding citrus notes. Medium body. Very Drinkable. I will grab this again while it is relatively fresh.

10-24-2010 02:33:17 | More by telecomz
akokinakes

09-09-2012 21:59:41 | More by akokinakes
Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.