Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Estate Homegrown Wet Hop AleEstate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

"Taste fresh-from-the-field flavors with this handmade, homegrown, and completely natural ale. Made with organic wet hops and barley grown at our brewery in Chico, this remarkable ale is the only one of its kind."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Georgia

12-24-2011 00:12:50 | More by jophish17
kaips1

Kentucky

not exactly what i expected but still good

a- dark orange almost a burnt in some light, very bodied, cant see through the glass unless held to light
s-very citrusey as expected, a nice sierra neveda hop smell as usual
t- this is the only area i felt really lacking, not enough bite or biter, it could be from the wet hop deal not sure yet, i was really hoping for more flavor
m-its ok
d- i could pound these all day in the summer, i might try and save one or two just to see if it appeals more then

not my favorite sn product but its not horrible by any means

03-12-2011 04:22:48 | More by kaips1
GrindFatherBob

01-14-2012 20:07:15 | More by GrindFatherBob
djmichaelk

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

On tap at Toronado, served in a pint glass.

A - Honey-colored, with very little head -- just a thin cap. Part of that was the pour, but then again there was very little retention and no lacing, so I'm not inclined to give any more credit here.

S - Grassy hoppiness, like wet lawn clippings, are the dominant aroma, but there's also caramel and toffee in the background. Not very aromatic at all. Almost like an old keg, but I don't think that's the case here.

T - Well, blah. Nothing here that I was hoping for. The usual SN hoppy bite that I've come to expect isn't there. Plenty of malt, and the hops, while there, are very mild. I didn't get much of the grassiness that was in the nose, but it definitely has a polite bitterness. It seems almost... balanced? Not bad by any means, but just not superlative.

M - Solid and full, with good carbonation. One of the better aspects of this brew for me.

D - It's definitely got some abv weight to it, since I could feel the difference after the pint. I specifically ordered this to test it before dropping $10 on a bottle, and I'm glad I did -- I won't be getting one.

O - Disappointed to say the least. While it's not a bad beer, it seems more like a solid APA than an IPA. A rare miss for me from SN.

10-25-2010 09:23:15 | More by djmichaelk
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

The beer is crystal clear and appears copper to amber in color. The head is thick and dense, measuring just over an inch after a leisurely pour. Plenty of lacing left on the tulip glass. The aroma offers dank hops, malt, and an odd scent with a funky character. It smells similar to cleaning carpets. Hmm....the taste has the same character. Not bad, per se, but not even in the same league as the Founders Harvest Ale I just enjoyed. Decent feel, with a lingering wet hop flavor, as well as the damp basement oddness. Overall, not worth $10. Nothing special here.

Notes: waxing a fresh hop beer? Seems like a marketing gimmick if ever I saw one.

10-18-2011 20:24:09 | More by Huhzubendah
mjsheehan08

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance: Pours a pale off white, two fingered head into a pint glass. Color is a deep orange almost rustlike flavor with lots or bubbles leading up to the head. When held to light, has a reddish hue.  This beer looks great.  Head retention is good, and there is some great lacing from the hops.

Smell: There's not a whole hell of a lot of aroma to this beer, I sniffed at it a few times and didnt pull alot from it. Some floral hops, maybe a little citrus. I feel a slight predjustice towards this beer. It being organic, I thought it would have a ton of fragrance, it did not.

Taste: The taste is a little piney, with some fresh citrus and hop oil, but not alot of hop bitterness until the end. Again, the organic label left me thinking a lot more fresh flavors would be present, and I didn't see them.

Mouthfeel is very slick, mild carbonation that is smooth on the way down, and then bites on the end.

Overall, a decent beer, but I am a little disappointed. I didn't come into this beer experience with an open mind, and that's probably why. I had high expectations, I got this in a sampler pack with some over very good beers, and this is by far the least impressive.

12-05-2010 05:47:52 | More by mjsheehan08
SolomonGrundy

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Primed for the first pitch of the NLCS Game 6...GO GIANTS!!!

Pours a beautiful ruddy amber, three fingers of rocky head that settles into a half-finger of nice, persistent creaminess and leaves awesome lacing. Lots of flowery hops in the nose, also a sort of medicinal element in there too, and I'm not sure I like that latter quality. Good carbonation....It smells "fresh" for some reason...flavor is a weird concoction of hops, skunky Humboldt green, and a certain sweetness which is well placed and balances the beer nicely. The carbonation is a little lacking, and I would have liked more of it. The finish is super-duper-long and bitter in a really wonderful way. The flavor is also very "fresh". I like the freshness a lot. Painfully expensive at $8.99/half-liter so drinkability suffers. A really pleasant beer, not great and too expensive.

What I like most: The fresh qualities in the nose and flavor.

What I like least: The price and lack of strong carbonation.

Verdict: good effort from SN but unfortunately not worth the price.

10-23-2010 23:59:14 | More by SolomonGrundy
claspada

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

Aromas are of juicy grapefruit and some pine. Classic Sierra Nevada nose.

The taste follows the nose with light toasty malt, some sweet caramel malts but mostly it's about the juicy hops. Lots of grapefruit and a touch of resiny pine. Lingering wet-hop juicy bitterness, a little too much for my liking. Wet hop ales should be more about aroma in my opinion. Moderate carbonation, good creaminess. Call it medium in heft.

Overall this is a decent beer, but it's disappointing because it's so similar to so many other Sierra Nevada offerings and because of the price point, really not worth the extra dollars in my opinion. Worth a go I guess just to say that you tried it and I appreciate the value of a decent organic offering as well.

11-13-2010 22:52:01 | More by claspada
Nachos4two

02-07-2013 21:32:26 | More by Nachos4two
justinbrown

03-20-2012 21:52:57 | More by justinbrown
rickyhansing

Utah

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

A: The color is like a beautiful honey, great carbonation.

S: Obviously hop forward, not as balanced in aroma as I expected. Pretty simple.

T: Some hop bite, not much of a malt backbone for the amount of hops. I feel it is out of balance.

Overall: I think this beer, objectively speaking, is a mid-level IPA. However, once you add in the higher price and hype it falls short. The color is nice, and it does gain complexity when it warms; I'm happy I tried it once, but once in enough.

03-29-2011 16:25:18 | More by rickyhansing
OakedCanuck

Washington

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

poured into cervoise. From notes.

A - Pours a hazy yellow to amber with decent lacing. The head is off white to white and fluffy, common with Sierra Nevada.

S - Piney, grassy and some caramel malt. Not as citric or as 'fresh' smelling as one would expect

T - Similar to the nose. More of the grassy bitterness, even though this is a wet hop ale, just a bit too much. The sweet malt comes out in the back in the form of caramel and sweet bread.

M - Clean and crisp. Medium body with too much effervescence.

D - Decent and smooth enough to drink. I think this one was inconsistent with Sierra Nevada's usual product. Overpriced also.

02-07-2011 21:46:58 | More by OakedCanuck
DarthGuitarHero

11-25-2013 21:17:38 | More by DarthGuitarHero
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.28/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Split a bottle cold poured into a snifter. The beer pours a amber to copepr color with minimal edge layer of head and some wispy islands in the center of my glass.
Aroma is pine sap and some grass. not too much else going on with a fairly mild nose.
First sip reveals an average body and fine gentle carbonation.
Flavor is grainy caramel malt briefly and then moves to pine sap hops and a bit of wet grass. The beer is an easy drinker yet not outstanding. I dont get any hints of booze and the flavor profile is clean and simple.
Not an offensive beer for certain, and it is enjoyable, just not memorable.

06-10-2012 02:18:27 | More by sulldaddy
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Notes from 1-2-11
Poured in to Duvel Tulip

A - Deep amber olour with one finger of foamy, bubbly off-white head.

S - Bitter piney hops with some light citrus notes. A sweet malt backbone rounds it out.

T - Hops up front with some pine and grassy notes as well as light citrus notes. Not as bitter and hoppy as I expected. A sweet malt backbone is definitely present here. This is a very nice and drinkable beer but something is missing here. The hops are somewhat dull and lack punch. You can tell they are there but they just lurk in the background and fail to really make their mark on this beer.

M - Medium body, oily, slightly chewy. Lightly carbonated.

D - Not as bitter and hoppy as I expect from an IPA, especially a SN offering. Slightly disappointing.

01-04-2011 04:15:45 | More by TheSevenDuffs
BBri

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Really "home grown" as all the ingredients are grown on the S.N. property.

Dark amber color with a good head. Nice aroma, citrus, spice.

Very good taste with a nice hoppy flavor. "Strong" flavor but no harsh at all. Took my time with this one and really enjoyed it. Not a guzzler.

Hoppy finish. This is a really nice IPA. Not a crazy price for an "exclusive" IPA either.

12-09-2011 20:19:29 | More by BBri
ggilman

Maine

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

Enjoying this beer poured from wax topped bomber into my favorite vessel, a Sebago Brewing Co. tulip glass. I'm not usually interested in Sierra Nevada, however, I go weak at the knees at the mention of "wet" hops.

A - Poured aggressively, the head was substantial, frothy and sticky. Subsided quickly, but meager amounts of lacing clung to the walls as the volume decreased. A deep rich amber body led to the high appearance rating. It wreaks of quality from first sight.

S - Faint whiffs of hops are over powered by malt. Nowhere near enough aroma hops for my liking, my expectations were set high.

T - Grapefruity bitterness gives way to caramel malt, again too soon for my liking. Some slight bitterness lingers on the palette.

M & D - Appearance, Mouthfeel & Drinkability save this beers rating. It's a good looking beer, with a nice tight carbonation, and sticky, syrupy mouthfeel, with drinkability that borders on superb. If I were ordering this on tap, I'd probably go back for more. The 6.7% ABV is apparent, and leaves me wanting another.

Nice packaging, nice looking, but in the end, the nose & flavor came up short of great. Great drinking beer, but not worth the $10 price tag in my opinion. A fresh growler of this beer would sway me.

01-18-2011 02:01:49 | More by ggilman
bigfnjoe

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a waxed bottle into a Duvel tulip. Kind of strange that this would get the wax treatment....but whatever, it's all good

A- pours a dark, cloudy shade of amber with a two finger slightly offwhite head. Lacing is so so. Really dark for an IPA

S- the hop aroma is minimal, getting some citrus. Not much going on here

T- I'm getting a sharp hop taste, piney and resinous. Not much citrus going on here. It reminds me of a cross between SNPA and Torpedo, leaning towards the SNPA. A little too similar for my tastes

M- feel is a little syrupy at first, but finishes kind of thin. Really bizarre

O- I expect more out of Sierra Nevada, this fell flat with me.

11-05-2011 18:34:25 | More by bigfnjoe
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25.4oz bottle, with a solid green wax neck covering, that cracks into a few too many small pieces for my liking as it dig for the cap. No date info, from a wee little 'gem' of a store in Hawi, Hawaii.

This beer pours a slightly hazy medium golden hue, with two fingers of foamy, bubbly ecru head, which leaves a nice tight honeycomb pattern of lace around the glass as it evenly recedes.

It smells of very mild bland citrus, some zingy leafy hops, and an equally understated bready caramel malt. The taste is subtle grapefruit, orange, and tropical fruit hops, a further, late-arriving herbal weediness, and equally muted bready, crackery malt. A tiny warming arises alongside the elevated pace of local environment-induced warming .

The bubbles are quite weak and powerless, the body a so-so medium weight, and smooth in the same vein. It finishes with a final flourish of meekness, the hops and malt taking it ridiculously easy.

An underwhelming offering, but one also totally lacking in overt offensiveness, so, given my current lanai-facing situation, I can't fault it _too_ much, can I?

05-15-2012 10:33:36 | More by biboergosum
TheRealDBCooper

Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

01-23-2012 00:58:52 | More by TheRealDBCooper
FriedSlug

12-24-2012 22:14:40 | More by FriedSlug
cdayb1

01-13-2013 08:01:43 | More by cdayb1
Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.