Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop AleNorthern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: jmatthew on 10-15-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 3,409 | Reviews: 1,484
Reviews by BradtheGreat7:
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Large 24 oz brown sierra Nevada style bottle. Poured into tulip balloon style glass.

A - a gorgeous off white head sits on top. Very thick and fluffy with amazing lace. This head and lace are maybe the best I've ever seen. Simply world class.

S - well balanced aroma. Bready and grainy like scents with a good amount of fresh hops. Has a woodsy appeal to it. The wet hop aroma is very much there, but isn't a knock you out overpowering bite like some IPAs I've had. Hints of sweet caramel whiffs as well.

T - lots of pine and nice grapefruit like notes that give it some somewhat bitterness. Much more malt flavors compared to other citrusy IPAs which isn't a bad thing. A touch of caramel just before the finish. The finish was a bit overly bitter and seemed to linger, but the spices are nice.

M - upper medium to heavy bodied brew with a perfect dose of carbonation. Left my mouth wanting more.

O - id like to thank my local craft guru, Bob W, for pointing this one out to me, and to Sierra Nevada for shipping this seasonal to my area. This was a very good beer. It's more of a well balanced hybrid of sorts, but has enough hop character as the highlight to be considered an IPA. This brew really surprised me in the sense that I'll buy another one of these this autumn season. I rarely ever drink IPAs in the fall. A real winner here. Everything anyone could ask for in a good IPA. Wouldn't expect anything different from SN.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

from notes

Serving: bomber, bottled 9/24/2014, consumed 11/1/2014, well within 90 day consumption period

Look: Dark amber, orange, with creamy head, long retention, and clingy lacing

Smell: This was a unique aroma for me and I had trouble pinning it down, looking back on my notes. I couldn't decide if it was herbal, earthy, floral, or possibly even vegetal. I decided on floral. It was like a fresh flower or plant in rich soil. I guess this unique aroma was due to the use of wet hops. Overall the freshness of the hops was evident.

Taste: Similar to the smell, not too bitter and mostly comes out floral and vegetal. The floral hops are supported by sweet caramel malts.

feel: Relatively light, almost watery finish for an IPA

Overall: Sierra Nevada's Northern Hemisphere Harvest is an interesting display of a more floral/earthy hop rather than the typical piney or citrusy American hops that characterize our IPA's these days. Definitely not my favorite IPA, but a very interesting and pleasant experience that introduced new flavors to my palate. The beer is still solid and very quaffable, and I will likely try this again.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Man I love the fresh hop ales,I should have bought this when more fresh.Poured into a standard pint glass a rich clear copper/bronze with a large fluffy two finger slight off white head atop.Aromas of pine and caramel mainly with a bit of citrus and biscuit as well.Flavors are spicey like the label claimed,the hops are not overpowering but are the dominant flavor with a full caramel base.A little thin but not overly so,I very nice brew I liked the spiciness going on there,well done.

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance - This is a gorgeous, slightly-glowing orange/brown mix with a white, fluffy, wonderful head that showed terrific retention. It was one of the most inviting APAs that I've ever seen.

Smell - The hop aroma is sharp but muted, mixing together the stiff but not sweet orange smell along with some mild pine. The grain though stands its ground. This is not the normal American slop but some fine, crisp grain that smells like it came right out of the field.

Taste - The hop hit is bigger at the taste but otherwise mirrors the smell. The key to an APA though is balance, and SN did a terrific job on the grainy malt base that just does balance out the big hops.

Mouthfeel - This is a solid medium-bodied with perfect carbonation and an incredibly smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability - This might seem just a bit stiff for the beginning drinker but anyone who can appreciate APAs will love this beer.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Vintage 2008. Serving date: 2009-02-16. Served in snifter.

Presentation: 710 ml bulky and good looking bottle (looks like a regular Sierra Nevada bottle on steroids) with no freshness date to be found. A great deal of bragging about the unique brewing process on the label.

Appearance: A slightly reddish amber color. The liquid is clear, the 2 finger head is off-white, very creamy and sticks around for a while before settling into a decent lid of foam.

Smell: A predominantly hoppy smell: Plenty of fruity aromas - citrus fruits, mostly in the form of grapefruit but also some hints of lemon peel - but also a more earthy and grassy smell of hop resins. Perhaps not the most complex smell, but still very refreshing and pleasant.

Taste: A mix of delightful fruit flavors up front: Again, mostly sweet lemon and grapefruit, but I think I find some hints of peaches and strawberries here as well (I recently had the Celebration Ale from the same brewer, and I found the same taste of strawberries, but much more prominent, in that one). Then, dense earthy flavors, grass and weeds take over. The combination of fruity and earthy hop flavors in this one is really great. Perhaps some notes of tobacco are here as well. Beneath the hop aroma, a sweet taste of caramel-like malts backs things up. It finishes slightly dry with a firm, but not overpowering bitterness and long lasting hop resins.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body, medium carbonation. Somehow, I get the impression that the texture has a gentle crispness to it, yet still rather smooth.

Drinkability: A delightful beer. Although it's definitely on the hoppy side, it still feels very balanced. It has definitely not the most complex taste out there, but still it is a really refreshing blend of tropical fruits, earthy hop resins and restrained sweet malts. And although the hops really dominates, they never get too aggressive or overpowering. It's a laid back beer, yet it's full of character - somehow, I can't stop thinking of it as a Celebration Ale in harmony. Highly recommended.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Reviewed from notes scrawled on 11/18/10.

I poured all 24 oz. into a massive snifter, resulting in a fluffy, three-finger, beige to light brown head. This rests above a very attractive ruby-mahogany body. The head takes it sweet time to deflate. Stringy lines of fine carbonation bubbles swim to the top of the glass at a moderate tempo. The lacing is dense and very intricate.

A hop aroma unique to wet hop ales that I've tried fills my nose. Aromas of freshly cut grass, pepper, hop oils, and citrus blend with a very dry biscuit aroma and a hint of caramel malt. The hop scent is wild - like putting a raw hop under one's nose and sucking air like a Hoover.

The taste is much akin to the smell. Fresh, bitter hops seep all over my palate. It is almost like rolling a hop around in one's mouth with a bit of water to lubricate the experience. It is a very earthy and grassy hop flavor. A caramel malt taste balances out the hops more so than I thought it would based on the smell, and a dry biscuit taste is also present.

The mouthfeel is creamy and medium-bodied for a wet hop ale, yet it still retains the great puckering, bitter, spicy hop character at which the aroma hinted. Northern Hemisphere has style-perfect carbonation, as well.

The is oh-so-drinkable. The 24 oz. went down easily and did not damn my palate. I think this will be a yearly treat for me, as long as I can find it right when it is released.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

A beautiful auburn pour with a sudsy head that stuck around through half of the pour in an aventinus .5l glass leaving a scant and sticky lace. Great carbonation,big bubbles. The hop and malt aromas are understated and did not detect much alcohol on the nose which I was surprised by this being a "big" beer. The sweetness on the nose lead me to expect a balanced brew which would be surprising to me as most AIPAs that I have sampled have been overwhelmingly hoppy. Again, not as heavy as I have come to expect from an AIPA but pleasant on the pallet, not slick or syrupy. The hoppy aftertaste is nice. Though it is not as representative of the style as I have come to expect, the brew is clean, crisp, and very flavorful. I will drink and cook with this all season long.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Ommegang tulip.

The lacing on this beer is fantastic! If Picasso worked in head foam, it would look like this. It has an excellent citrus and hop aroma almost as if you are at the farm itself. A light, semi-airy mouth feel makes this American IPA extraordinary. Sierra Nevada hit a homerun with this one and I would prefer this one over its Southern hemisphere counterpart. I will.definitely go buy 1or 2 more bottles before they are gone.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think it is safe to say that this beer is a more palatable and less floral version of their Pale Ale. It looks allmost identical and feels quite the same as far as mouthfeel goes, but the big difference is in the taste. The hops are a bit more bitter in this beer and there are also some spicy characteristics to it that I cannot put my finger on. The malt sneaks in and gives a peek but this a hoppy beer for sure. I will definantly come back to this one if I see it on tap again.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

1/2 gallon growler. Pours from the growler a wonderful clear amber red with a huge pillowy two finger white head that slowly falls. Sticky patchwork lacing adorns the side of my SN tulip. Aromas of sweet caramelly malts collide with a fresh, vibrant citrusy, piney hops. Lovely hop oils make me feel like I'm in a field of hops smelling them right on the vine..covered in a sweet blanket of hops. Yum.

First sip brings a rush of sweet caramelly pale malts...chewy and a tad bit toasty, bready on the back of the palate. The citrusy, piney resinous hops soon take control and bring a lovely sturdy bitterness. Fresh, lush, floral....the green leafy hop flavors keep me coming back for sip after sip. The big "C" hops are in full effect. Subtle lingering bitterness after each gulp. Simply an amazing APA. Extremely well balanced and incredibly tasty...the malt and hops have a harmonious relationship...a new benchmark for APA's in my book. Big, tasty hop burps can't help but bring a smile to my face as well!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly creamy and smooth. Mellow carbonation helps this one go down easy. Chewier maltiness than most APA's. Drinkability is only hindered by availability. This growler will disappear far too fast and I'll be left searching for more. Please, please, bottle this!! A world class APA from one of my all time favorite breweries. Many, many thanks to kmpitz2 for allowing me the pleasure of sampling this fine brew.

12-9-07: 24oz. big bottle. Love the unique bottle and big size! This beer is as good as it's ever been and I'm glad to finally see it bottled. Big citric, piney hops all over the place in the aroma and flavor. Fresh, green with a sturdy smack of bitterness. I really can't say enough about how much I love this one. Cheers to Sierra Nevada for bottling this and I hope to see it again in the future.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

It's somewhat hard to believe that this beer is classified only as an American pale ale. It packs a serious hop wallop... definitely enough to stand up against any IPA, or even some double IPAs.

Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale is one of those beers that is so hoppy & dry-bodied that it leaves you thirsty, with cottonmouth, after you're done. Probably not a beer you'd want to drink all night, but it is quite an experience while you're having it.

The trademark familiar Sierra Nevada blast-of-cascade-hops is right up front and present in this beer. Delicious floral aroma... lots of heavy lacing in the pintglass.

The truest way to describe Harvest Ale is that it is basically an amped-up version of their flagship beer - the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. More hops, darker color, stronger scent, more bitter, more bite.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Translucent copper poured into my Saranac pint/pilsner glass. Full2 fingeers of staying head.

I smell hops.

Pale, hop, nice finish. The >6% blends real well into the hop flavor. The finish here is very special. Almost like 3 layers of hops. Very enjoyable. Sits, sits, sits.

Yummy. Awesome after-taste. Extremely balanced and full flavor for an APA.

Im glad this one came in a 22oz. I definately want more.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12th Release, 2008 Edition
The beer was amber in color with a thick, off-white head. A little bit of lacing.
Mostly floral aroma, with a little bit of citrus.
Pine and lavender taste, with some grapefruit. They complement each other quite well.
A smooth, easy to drink beer.

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

24 oz bottle, 2007 11th edition. Pours a clear copper with a creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet doughy malts with floral piney hops and a little tar.

The flavor is sweet bready malts with a lingering burnt bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery.

Overall, a decent IPA(?) with good bitterness. It's a little simplistic and not totally to my tastes.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Thank to genog for this Beer Powerball beer!

I am using a pint glass and see a lots of lacing and a decent creamy head. Head tastes all creamy, too. Smells hoppy and like honey. Taste is similar with more of a pine hopness. There is a sweet malt flavor that comes out sort of like caramels. This is a very drinkable, delicious beer. It's not all out hops, it just a smooth, incredibly well-balanced beer. Delicious!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 24 oz bottle into a pint glass. The label reads 12th release 2008.

Appearance: The head builds up tall, thick and firm from the slow pour. . It is light tan in color and has excellent retention. A nice small cap of foam hangs on until the last sip and as it slowly slides its way down the glass it makes lots of cool lacing that sticks to the glass. Under the head lies a beautiful deep amber colored body with just the slightest protein or chill haze.

Smell: The aroma has a piney resin like hop character with some citrus notes as well. Under that are some light bready/malty notes with just a hint of estery/yeasty red apple skin notes as well as a touch of raw grain.

Taste/Palate: Like the Southern Hemisphere Harvest, this Harvest has a good sturdy base of bready malt sweetness with a touch raw grain. Hop flavor is also quit firm and assertive. The hop character is that of tasty piney hops with some resiny and juicy lemony/grapefruit citrus notes. The bitterness from the hops is more than equal to the malt sweetness and lasts well into the finish. The palate has a nice solid medium feel with plenty of lively carbonation.

Notes: Another outstanding selection from Sierra Nevada with big bold hop flavor and nice supporting malt.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I was really surprised to find bottles of this beer at my local East Boston Kappy's, just more proof that popularity of good beer is still on the rise.

24oz brown bottle. Tarnish copper penny color, good clarity and the lacing is out of this world. Smells of green hops cut right off of the vine, a little vegetable and woody. Mild fruity esters and toasted grain in the nose as well. So damn smooth and creamy, a perfect level of carbonation in this solid medium bodied brew. Big fresh cut grass and oily hop character to start, bitterness is there but not harsh at all. Maltiness is bready with undertones of crust and caramel. Faint fruitiness from the alcohol and hops, finishes a little bitter with a broad flavor of fresh hop oil.

I'll be heading back to the store to get a few more bottles as this easily cured my hop fix. I look forward to this beer every year for at least the past few years.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

2007 bottling, 24 oz bottle. Pours a hazed amber body with a creamy eggshell head. Lots of sticky lacing is left on the pint glass. Aroma of spicy and earthy hops. Grassy, pine, and floral notes emerge as it warms. A hint of caramel underneath. Medium body and carbonation is a bit slick. Taste if full of leafy hop bitterness. Grassy, earthy, piney, and spicy hops run the show here. A hint of caramel sweetness adds some balance. Wish I could've had this one a bit fresher but the hops are still just fine at this stage.

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

Large chubby bottle, "11th edition" no freshness info offered, pours typical clear almond amber, under a long lasting medium tan head, loose bubbles and as it recedes, gobs of sheeting and clustered lacing left behind. Leafy hop nose, with maple malts in the rear. Smooth, balanced beer, hops are present and drying but low bitterness. Layers of malts provide a pleasing under layer. easy drinking, slight notes of nuts, maple, leafy hops. Nice fall beer, worthy sessioner.
I also enjoyed 2 pints of this quality offering on tap at the Gingerman in NYC. Smooth, tasty, balanced and thoroughly enjoyable ale. Fresh hops poking through and in sublime balance with layers of smooth malts. Nice job by SN.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

13th release.

Poured a copper color with a small, white head. Smell is hoppy, but not the pine and citrus I was expecting. Taste is very well balanced, with lots of caramel and biscuity malt to go with a strong hop flavor. I am once again not getting much pine or citrus in the taste. It is more of an earthy hop aroma. A very well put together IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from bottle into a DFH Signature glass.

A- Pours a nice amber with ample tan/white head. Significant lacing that lasts.

S- floral, hoppy with some caramel. Rather pleasent.

T/M- hoppy and a little piney. Definitely taste the hops in this one, but it really isn't bitter. It certainly doesn't leave that bite on the back of your tongue. Medium body with good carbonation.

O- I'm not a huge pale ale fan, but this was very well done. Would certainly look for it again and would certainly recommend it to others. Nice job SN!

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Opened 24 fl oz bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Pours a Nice frothy head of two inches that settles at 1" atop a bubble bursting translucent tea brown brew.

Smell is clean and of sweet malts, light bread and light hops. Taste is similar, but a little more complex. Does have a nice bitterness at I get hints of light sweet hops, but this is minor to the crisp citrus and pineapple that make this one of the best SN brews I've had in ages - possibly ever.

Really nice finish, especially with bubbles and balance of 6.7 ABV.

Very drinkable and will spend the rest of the evening slowly enjoying this little monster of an IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at the Capital Ale House.

Poured a clear, deep amber color with a frothy, rocky head that was all billowy and sticky on the glass. Large amounts of raw, hoppy aromas, with citrus (orange and lemon rinds) dominating. Mixed in were a mixture of spices: cinnamon, coriander. Flavor is wonderful. Leafy hop flavor that, while intense, was not as "in-your-face" as some more aggressively-hopped beers out there. Lots of spicy zip to this. Finishes dry with just a touch of sweetness at the very end of the bitter aftertaste. Very tight carbonation and "spicy"-ness makes for a great mouthfeel. Drinkablity is off the charts. Such a great combination of flavors. I see this being a great beer for the fall football season, sitting outside of "The Shoe" at Ohio State University...enjoying a tailgate party and throwing the football around before the game. So different from the other O-fests and seasonals, and so very much better.

Now....if this were only bottled, I'd be in heaven.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased a case at Big Top for the Eagles game. Pours with a thick head and thick lacing. This is a fresh hop beer for sure. Dark amber in color. Nice piney hops smell. The taste is a nice balance of hops with a good malt core. Mouthfeel is smooth & this is very drinkable. A borderline IPA IMO and a very nice brew. Great value at about $4/bomber.

Cheers.

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Rich dark amber with frothy root beer float like head that leaves massive lacing lines.

Smell: Citrus, spice and toasted malt. Smells like a standard APA. Disappointing.

Taste: Mix of pine, toasted malt, citrus and spice. The best part about the beer is that it doesn't begin malty and then turn hoppy or vice versa; just a nice mix throughout, although nothing really stands out. Leaves a long bitter aftertaste.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, somewhat smooth medium body, nice dry finish.

Drinkability: Not nearly as fresh or juicy as the Founders Harvest or as interesting as the Southern Hemisphere. This just seems like a solid APA/IPA hybrid. Very good, but expected more.

to view more.
Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.