Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop AleNorthern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: jmatthew on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,471 | Hads: 3,418

This beer pours a golden brown color with a light brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a mild sweet malt aroma. A pleasent floral hop aroma is present. Some slight citrus notes are also present. The fresh hop aroma is very pleasent.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Floral and citrus hop flavors dominate. It has a mild sweet malt flavor also. This beer is not bitter, just very hoppy in a subtle way.

This beer is crisp. It goes down refreshingly smooth, leaving a citrus hop aftertaste. Carbonation is perfect.

I think this beer would make an excelent session beer. It is very good, and not overly aggressive.

Overall: I am very impressed with this beer. Usually, I am a little unsatisfied with Sierra Nevada. This is definately an exception. If you see this beer, drink it. Outstanding. (847 characters)

I had a Harvest Ale on tap at the Sierra Nevada Brewery a few years ago, and begged them to bottle it. I was amazed and in hop heaven when I went to the web site and read that it would be available in bottles!

I bothered the beer specialist at my local liquor store a couple of times, and then ran in and bought as many as my hands could hold (4!).

Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale has always been my most favorite beer. Now I have a new one-- Harvest Ale, with Celebration a very close 2nd!

I poured half of the beer into a Sierra Nevada pint glass (of course!), and watched as a beautiful, creamy head crested the top of the glass. There was a light layer of foam throughout drinking the brew, and it left a very light lace on the glass, as well.

Hops, hops, and more hops-- is this really just an American Pale Ale? If so, THIS is how an APA SHOULD taste. Crisp, hoppy, drinkable...a definite session beer.

Sure wish SN would bottle this full time instead of their regular Pale Ale. And yes, I went through those 4 bottles rather quickly, and just bought 4 more. A case purchase isn't far behind...hope there's some left! (1,128 characters)

Another wet hop winner from the Chico brewmeisters. The 12th Release pours a gorgeous amber color with a nice thick eggshell-colored head. The good news is that I don't have to haunt the local BevMo! hoping for a shipment, I've found this little gem pretty consistently right down the block at the 7-11.

The first sip reveals citrus notes with a spicy, almost green bud-like, aftertaste. "Hops and cannabis are related," Talking Bob said, taking a deep pull. "I think I read that recently."

We had planned on having a taste-off, sampling all three of Sierra's Harvest brews: The Chico Estate and 12th Release Harvest Wet Hop, and the Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop brews. We were distracted and ultimately derailed by a walk over to Iron Springs Pub & Brewery for fortification. But that's another story. I'm sure we'll get back to our experiment at some point. Anything for science! (892 characters)

This beer pours a beautiful deep amber with a billowing tan head, beautiful lacing as the beer is consumed.

aroma is of baking bread with hints of citrus and rosemary, extremely inviting.

taste is a beautiful balance of fresh citrusy and vegetal hops with a solid malt backbone, absolutely delicious.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

drinkability is off the charts

well, I thought long and hard trying to find a flaw in the beer because I am hesitant to award my first perfect score, but I just couldn't do it. To me this is the best example of everything I am looking for in a beer. Highly recommended! (646 characters)

Ditto every other review I've read with one exception: Beer Belcher's ; I don't know what he was drinking but it couldn't have been this beer. Harvest Ale 2007 is absolutely positively the best APA I've ever had in my life!!! I'm going out tomorrow to buy up every bottle I can find!!! This beer should be the standard by which every other American beer should be judged. The clarity, head retention, lacing and drinkability of this brew is unsurpassed. I've lived in Europe and I'm a big fan of German beers (in Germany only) and often wondered how most of what passes for beer here in the USA was ever sold. This offering by Sierra Nevada gives me hope for the future ... and could go a long way towards making me proud to be an American beer drinker. (753 characters)

My first fresh hops ale, I give this a 5 because this ale rules. As others note, "pine" and "oily" are pretty good descriptions. Drinkable beyond all belief. It's a little strong but I guess the malt had to get beefed up to support the hop factory.

After you drink this you'll long for fresh green-bud sticky hop resin year-round.

I'm going out to get some more bottles as they probably move fast. (401 characters)

This is a truly wonderful brew. I look forward to drinking the NH and the SH Wet Hop Ales seasonally.

It's very drinkable and is more balanced and has more flavor and character than say their Torpedo.

It looks great, a nice dark copper with a fabulous hopyy smell.

It can be a session beer despite it's high abv. (317 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

I love hops! This is my first wet hop brew and I wasn't disappointed. Harvest pours a very bright, deep copper color with a lovely tan head full of big bubbles. It billows over the top of the glass in a mound of foam. It smells incredible with notes of pine and cascade hops. There is a bit of a sweet smell that mixes well in the aroma. The taste is beautiful. Big hop character with significant bitterness that is not overpowering. A thin layer of head follows the beer to the bottom of the glass. The medium mouthfeel is very smooth and glides over the tongue and down to the belly. Harvest is a very drinkable beer; a hopheads dream! (637 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +18.5%

A - Straight from a bottle. Rookie mistake or just drinking on the run, no time for glasses.

S - Moderate. Smells of little pine and some citrus, like a basic IPA.

T - Starts out a nice pine/citrus hop flavor and leaves an EXTREMELY nice bitterness in your mouth.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation, coats the mouth and the beautiful bitter Stays There! Overall perfect balance.

O - An Excellent beer, I would recommend it to anyone who already likes IPAs. Stronger hop flavor than the southern hemisphere brew but still has a great balanced flavor. (560 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured in ale glass at friend's house

A: copper, mostly clear, great head (2 fingers), wonderful lacing
S: abundant, rich red grapefruit aroma that lingers long in the glass
T: very bitter, not sweet; classic IPA style featuring foremost a complex bouquet of hops; really amazing combination of hops--the aftertaste is very smooth
M: very smooth, silky, and stylish in the mouth
D: unlike other hop bombs, this one invites repeat visits

This is one amazing beer; congrats to SN (479 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

A- Thick off white head on a pretty clear golden copper body. Nice thick lacing that sticks to side of glass.
S- Huge hop aroma. Smells like pure hop juice. Grapefruit and pine come through with some spice. Just a hint of caramel.
T- Like the aroma. Just tons of wet hops. The grapefruit and some grass flavors just stick all over the mouth like sticky hop juice. Just a little caramel to help balance it out just a little bit. Leaves a big bitterness all over the tongue.
M- Medium body which feels a bit thicker from the tons of sticky hops. Medium/low carbonation.
D- It is probably the best fresh hopped beer I have had. Just excellent and wish you could get it year round in regular 6-packs. (697 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

On tap, poured out of my growler into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep reddish-amber color with 2 fingers of off-white foam. There is a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very hoppy with grassy and floral notes. The taste is only a little malty up front before the hops come rolling in. It has a good hop bite and is fairly grassy. It is very well balanced. The mouthfeel is very heavy on the tongue for a pale ale, very nice. The drinkability is also really good. If only Sierra Nevada bottled this one, I'd be in heaven.

A year later almost, and another growler is here. It just keeps getting better and better. I am in love with this brew (but don't tell my wonderful girlfriend, I still love her more anyways!) (740 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a very thick off white almost tan head. Color is very dark brown. The head is really strong on this one. Very strong bitter piney earthy hops in the nose. One of the strongest smelling IPA's around especially at 6.7% abv. I could live in this. Extremely bitter grassy dirty hop flavor with just a twinge of the grapefruit. Mostly just very, very bitter. Not much, if any, sweetness. How they pack the smell and taste into this low abv is crazy. Carbonation may be a bit sharp. I could lay waste to this beer. This and the Fresh hop are 2 of the best IPA's money can buy and costs way less too. (599 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

nice copper color with thick white head and very nice lacing. smells as if you stuck your nose in a bouquet of the freshest hops. this beer truly has a nose like no other. this beer is a hopheads dream. minimal malt detected but the hops arent over powering it just tastes reallly really fresh, juicy and floral. i could drink this one all damn day! i cant wait to try this side by side with a fresh celebration ale. i bought 3 cases of this and am down to 1. next year i will order 5 cases. YES THIS BEER IS THAT GREAT!!!
CHEERS AND HOPPY HALLOWEEN!!! (552 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Found two bottles mysteriously hiding behind something else....hmmmm...and when I see the last two bottles I took them like the greedy efing rat I am.

A: A very nice copper/red earthy look. Head is amazing (almost as good as the real thing). The head is tan and very significant with superior lacing.

S: Oh...my...god...The second I opened the bottle and took a whiff my nostrils received an enema of freshness. A variety of hops with malt throughout the background. I can't put my finger on a specific hop. Earthy aromas with hints of fruit and spice make this beer smell superb.

T: I don't know quite how to word this. It doesn't seem to be jammed packed with more hops, just better hops hence I guess "wet" hops. Its what it says it is. Plenty of malt throughout too in a very well thought out balance. Once again, hints a fruit and spices with beautiful bitterness coming in at the end. The head is STILL there.

M: Consistent, medium-bodied mouthfeel thats maintains its presence throughout. Carbonation is perfect. The bitterness leads to slight dryness at the very end.

D: Good thing I only got a hold of two bottles. My liver thanks me.

This beer is everything it is made out to be. Coming in I had high expectations and they were met. This is the highest review I have ever given a beer, (1,302 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Okay, this one caught me by surprise, and I am glad to see others rating this as highly as I did. (Usually) not swayed by gimmicky labels or elaborate descriptions of brewing processes, I nonetheless pronounce a simple amen after finishing the glass.... opens with a tremendously aromatic fragrance with a floral, buttery smoothness... beautiful orange-brown body in an oversized Hop Devil snifter; two-finger foam leaves wonderful lacing, the look of a limited release... medium to full-bodied, with a crunch that reverberates--a smoothness early that balances well with the grit betweent the teeth... not at all my expectations: no big Christmas tree suck of pine cone explosion, no cascade of Cascade--mellow, almost laidback to the point of sharing common ties with the creamier, more balanced English pales... start to finish, a crowning achievement... an excellent spring nightcap to a day of work, but in most (any?) settings this would work well, well enough to finish the 24oz. bottle and wish for a second...I get more of the citrus as the glass drains, but this may be misadvertised as a hophead's "wet" dream , due to the fact that the pleasure of drinking this beer is its bouquet and its flavor balance... I had to buy brother Jer a bottle before the 4th, just to share the triumph with someone... (1,311 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

This is really a great Ale in every single way. Pours a nice coppery color with a tremendous head that lasts to the end of your glass. My 1st glass I was almost to the bottom and still had a 1/8 layer on top. I would say this is a very full bodied hearty Ale, that has a nice hoppy bite, but also has a lot more going on. Very nicely balanced between the malt and hops. I'm a hop head, and this easily satisfies my cravings, and IMO the best I've had from SN. I would love to see this one available year round, it's a great winter brew without the quirky spicing, and would be just as easy to drink in the summer. (613 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Sierra Nevada. My favorite brewery for one simple reason: they produce beers that ARE TRUE BEERS. And this beer is no exception. First and foremost, "Wow." This is the epitome of ale. The "wet hop" marketing is nothing short of fantastical truth. Everything about this ale is lush and exuberant, with notes of pine, earth, citrus, cinnamon, sauteed scotch bonnet (like a sniff from 20 yards), some caramel, iron, wet stone, the nuances of a forty year old barn...this beer has it all! Seriously, the nose is a damned plethora of snorfs, toss it on the palate and you are sure to be pleased. The finish is dry and creamy and explosive, which is typical of the "style" yet, wait a second for that last "ummphf" of yumm. This is an ale that should be poured in every tavern across the country as the house beer.

Physically, the beer stands as beer. The color is a deep and rich mahogany, sharp copper. The head is malted cotton on ambrose leggings, and the lacing is tighter than a spider's web.

Again, damn! Great beer. I'll do myself a favor and pull a box to sit and savor over the next few years.

Exceptional Ale!!! (1,120 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of my favorite beers, not just IPA's, and the cost-point only improves the rating on this brew. IMO one of the top value buys you can make in the craft beer world. Seek out as many as you're willing to go through before the hops start to fade. The gentleman's Enjoy By haha. Cheers. (286 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Right now is the time that the Southern Hemisphere Harvest is in the market. but I was able to grab the very last of this beer I could find, dating 2011.

A: Nice bright amber color with a 1-inch bright white head that stick around awhile.

S: Smell is of floral and fruity hops, slight hint of citrus and honey with some grassy notes.

T: Wow, this taste brings a kick at the front, slight coriander, honey and some hop bitterness with a dry bready finish at the end. Kind of reminds me of a Saison.

M: Cant see too much carbonation beyond the haze of the appearance but this beer is very drinkable.

O: Sierra Nevada never seems to dissapoint, this beer is bursting with flavor and I could honestly have 6 of these. Its just too bad they are $5 plus my way! (762 characters)

24oz. bottle - 2007 edition

Pours a clear copper color with a creamy eggshell head that thins. Thick, sticky lacing on the glass.

A faint hint of caramel malt among layers of fantastic hop smells. Citrusy, grassy, floral, and just extremely fresh smelling.

A nice, chewy, caramel malt base that somehow manages to survive among a complex blend of hop flavors. Citrus, floral, grassy, and plenty of IBUs to boot. Superbly balanced and fresh tasting.

Medium body, creamy texture.

Wow, what a great brew. Really showcases the flavors that can be produced with fresh hops, and does so with a masterful level of balance. The 24 ounce bottle goes down as fast as if it were just 12. (682 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured a cloudy amber with a large head. Smelled crisp with a possible hint of banana. Tasted smooth and very inline with Sierra Nevada. It's like the SN Pale Ale "hopped up" with flavor. It's a very complex taste similar to Stone Brewery. Very drinkable, but unfortunately quite expensive. If this was affordable and mass produced, the human species could be fated to a mellow existence. (388 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured this beer into a nice red wine glass. The color was pretty amber glow with a tan pillowy head. The smell of fresh pine and roasted malts. The taste is so smooth with a big presence of earth tones and fresh roasted peanuts. Great oily pine resin really cotes the tongue. The mouthfeel is med. body but the beer is so well balanced that is comes off bigger than expected. Drinkabilty is perfect. So complex so many foods this would go well with. (450 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours out a brilliant copper with a wealth of evenly distributed bubbles throughout the glass. Head is thick and creamy, kind of like this came from a nitro widget. Leaves some sticky and raised rings of lace. Aroma is of pungent grapefruit and pine, giving this a fresh angle on a classic West Coast pale ale aroma profile. Lots of hop resin fills the nostrils over a backdrop of toasty maltiness, caramel, and brown sugar. This tastes fantastic. You get beat over the head with grapefruit oils and pine sap but with only moderate bitterness. Malt is really only there to lend some soft sweetness and a subdued toastiness in the finish, which mixes with the lingering hop oils. Somewhere on the middle of this, I get some definite caramel, but it's certainly not all that prominent against the hops. Mouthfeel is light to mid weight with a bouncy carbonation. It can get just the slightest bit sticky in the mouth, but it's not too bad. This is going extremely fast, and I should slow myself down. Really great quality and the most affordable fresh hop beer available to us in Texas. (1,084 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

2011
A: Poured from a bottle into a standard beer mug.
Pours a crystal clear amber color with a thick, wonderful head that sticks around.

S: This beer smells of Lemons, oranges, grass and Pine. Plenty of a fresh hop armoma. Very few beers smell this good.

T: Sweet malt up front, strong, bitter hops and a finish of clean grass clippings. This beer has a very intense flavor that lures me into the next sip.

M: Heavy but not chewy. Fantastic mouthfeel. Not thin like an IPA.

O: This is one fantastic beer. I love it! (522 characters)

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.