Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop AleNorthern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: jmatthew on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,417 | Reviews: 1,485

2011
A: Poured from a bottle into a standard beer mug.
Pours a crystal clear amber color with a thick, wonderful head that sticks around.

S: This beer smells of Lemons, oranges, grass and Pine. Plenty of a fresh hop armoma. Very few beers smell this good.

T: Sweet malt up front, strong, bitter hops and a finish of clean grass clippings. This beer has a very intense flavor that lures me into the next sip.

M: Heavy but not chewy. Fantastic mouthfeel. Not thin like an IPA.

O: This is one fantastic beer. I love it!

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance: Beautiful amber color. Even with a decent pour, there was still little head.

Smell: Great aroma!! I have a soft spot for hops, and this beer smells like how an IPA should smell like!

Taste: Currently my favorite beer. I picked this up at a local Whole Foods. Now, my last three trips to Whole Foods, I have to pick one or two of these up.

Mouthfeel: Very nice, the beer, once again, does seem to be a little flat...I am not sure if I have just been purchasing an old shipment or something though.

Drink ability: For any IPA lover, very easy to drink. Great kick at the end as well.

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

64 oz growler filled about an hour ago.
A: Fantastic. Golden amber color with a tiny red-ish tint. Only the slightest amount of cloudiness. Aggressive pour into a 12 oz tall taster glass. 1 inch white head with excellent retention and very sticky lacing. I think this is the stickiest lacing I have ever seen. Its like glue on the side of the glass. Pillow-like head on edges with only a slight covering to the center. Lots of size variation in carbonation from tiny to quite large bubbles. Expectations are high.
S: Great smell but not as strong as I was expecting. Pine, grapefruit, citrus, malt background barely distinguishable. Very subtle.
T: Perfect. This beer is so balanced. The hops taste awesome. The malt is just right. The finish is very smooth and very bitter with a final bit of sweetness from the malt. I love the taste of this beer.
M: Very smooth and creamy with the hops and carbonation giving it a little bit of bite. Absolutely no indication of alcohol.
O: Wow. What an accidental score. I got this only because I scratched off the other ones on the board just because I had already had them or was not interested. Not only that but I got it at a discount. I hope they have some more left tomorrow cause I am going to kill this growler tonight. WOOOOHOOO! This is definitely a beer you want to get hold of if you can during the harvest season. Way to go Sierra Nevada!!!

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: This beer poured a nice copper color with a HUGE fluffy cloud of an off white head. Great lacing the stuck around the life of the beer.

Smell: I was hit immediately with a wonderful piney hop aroma with a nice hint of sweet maltiness. Lots of earthy aromas with wonderful citrus and spice characters.

Taste: This beer is extremely well balanced. It has a nice piney bitterness with hints of citrus but is balanced with some nice sweet malts. The citrus and spice comes through in the taste as well as the nose.

Mouthfeel: Nice oily medium body with medium carbonation. Has a nice dry bitternes in the finish.

Overall: A fantastic brew! I'm glad I picked up two and good thing I ordered 4 cases at work also since we're down to our last case. I'm not a big hop fan but this one is really making me reconsider.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Thankfully on tap at Old Chicago in Eden Prairie, MN, served in a 25 oz. mug. Very dark bronze color, nice creamy tan head that lasts for about the first half of the beer. Smell is nice sweet, fresh hops, floral and sharp, with some malty sweetness going on in the background. Taste was great, I like it better than the SNPA that has been a benchmark of the style for years. The hops are robust and tangy, this was a nice surprise to find on tap at a place like Old Chicago (Their Minnesota beer of the month was Budweiser Select...). Highly drinkable and enjoyable, I would've gotten more, but there were still a number of good octoberfests on tap.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours deep red with a creamy off-white head. Immediately as it’s poured, hops aroma hits me. Spicy, floral/piney, and especially hoppy aroma is refreshing... Maybe hints of apple. Spicy flavor fills mouth with bitter hops and notes of pine. Nice bitter finish lingers. Alcohol is subdued but noticable. Malt characteristics barely noticable but present. Finishes very bitter. Extensive lacing through whole beer as head diminishes slowly. Very lightly carbonated. Excellent and refreshing beer. Light moutfeel but not watery.

13th Release

Appearance: Lots of thick white head, good lacing. Golden amber pour. Beautiful, just wish it wasn't filtered.

Smell: Lots of great hop aromas. Its a great mixture of pine, floral, and citrus notes of hop deliciousness!

Taste: Just great. I can only expect this to get better with a little aging. The taste is just balanced enough to get a 5. Lots of hop but its not overpowering and that is nice.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with a great aftertaste and feel. It finishes clean.

Drinkability: For the price compared to the Sierra Nevada estate brew this is a steal. This is far superior to any of the Sierra Nevada IPAs and should be experienced by any lover of good IPAs. High ABV aside this beer would be too tasty not to be drinking it as long as possible.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

I picked this beer up at the Four Firkins, quite possibly one of my favorite speciality beer stores.

This beer pours a clear copper to amber color. A crisp white head crowns the top. Artistic lace encases the sides of the glass as I enjoy this hoppy treat. The aromas are a definite hop fest. I get a strong grapefruit aroma at first. This is followed by a vast array of other citrus fruits. Not as overpowering as one would expect with a fresh hop ale. There is a faint sweetness from the malts as well. The hop flavor in this beer is phenomenal. You have to really appreciate the hop to appreciate this flavor. Raw floral, grapefruit flavors present initially. This is followed by a balanced malty sweetness. In the end of the my drink, I notice a nice piney bite. The hoppy bite in this beer is really present, but the bitterness really fits it well. The bitterness lingers to the next drink, but is really quite pleasant. The mouthfeel is pretty solid. Crisp and clean, just what I love about Sierra Nevada.

This is an exceptional beer. Definitely an iconic beverage. I don't think I've ever had a fresh hop ale as good as this one. Sierra Nevada has always been a symbol of quality. This beer is just another reason why they may be one of the greatest craft breweries out there. I am tempted to go pick up a case of this despite the cost at $6.50 a bottle. This beer is definitely worth it.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

2011 bomber poured in to a pint glass.

Poured a light amber in to my pint glass.Very fluffy light tan head. The head slowly cascaded into a nice rockiness. Nice sticky bubbles weere left on the side of the glass.

Strong floral and citrus hops up front in the nose. Light bread/doughy malts bring a nice sweetness.

Bitter floral hops sting the tounge at first. Bready malt and light caramel and apple follow. A grapefruity finish ends each sip. The post-sip burp is delightful.

Medium bodied that leaves a nice resiny coating. Nice carbonation. Lingering sweetness, but an overall clean finish.

I've had this in the pass and have always been impressed. This would be an amazing year-round brew, but alas, it is not. I look forward to having this again next year.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

There's still a lot of beer out there that I haven't tried, but Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale may be the best beer I've ever had.

The beer starts out by seducing you with its dark-reddish appearance and thin frothy foam that looks like it just came out of the fermenter. Smells sweet and fruity, with a hint of just-cut grass, no doubt from the fresh cascade ans centennial hops. Tastes like how a beer would taste in the perfect world -- no overpowering flavors, but the entire range of hop flavors are on display: hints of floral, piney flavors, bitterness and spicyness throughout each sip. So smooth, that I never noticed the alcohol. Fresh hops really do make a difference and its too bad that this is only available once a year.

4.79/5  rDev +14.9%

24oz bottle bought at Lou's in Augusta. Pours slightly hazy amber-red with a thin quickly disappearing off-white head. Smells amazing - pine, citrus, floral, herbal, mint... Hoppiest smelling beer I've ever had. Tastes similar to the armoa. Mint, pine, floral, citrus bitterness shining bright on this one with just enough malt to keep this one from being one-dimensional. Surprisingly clean finish. Medium mouth feel, making for a rich-feeling palate without being chewy or viscous. Medium carbonation is just enough to keep things clean and make this one a really easy drinker despite the big flavor and abv. Wow. A hop-head's dream. This is perhaps the finest use of American hops in a beer I have ever tasted. I would drink this morning noon and night everyday but I'd probably feel spoiled.

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

Beautiful amber with a perfect head. The head had excellent retention and lacing without being too large. It had a nice floral/piney smell. I thought it would have too much of a strong hop aroma, but it was perfection. The same goes for taste. It wasn't overpowering like a crazy ipa, but it was still quite bold with the hops. I could also taste the malt sweetness. The mouthfeel was thick, like cream.

This beer is freakin' incredible. The smell is really good, but is a weak indication of how great the beer tastes. As much as I love the hoppy flavor, it would be hard to drink too many of these because after a while, I would need a break from the dominant hop (however awesome it is).

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

Large chubby 24oz brown glass bottle with a pry-off cap. The label shows hop fields with a blurb about the fresh hops.
Copper clear body with a creamy tan head that holds well and leaves great lace.
Scent of fresh piney hops, semisweet honey and caramel.
Excellent blend of sweet honey, caramel and rough fresh hops. Undertones of vanilla, wood, nutskin and pine
Medium body with plenty of coating and a full oily feel. Some residual sugars as well.
Very drinkable, wet hops seems to impart something different and interesting to the brew.
I hope more brewers will try this. A stout may be great with fresh hops.

-Oelergud

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

From a stubby 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass, 3 finger light tan finely-bubbled head atop an amber body. Good retention, sticky lacing.

Grapefruit and evergreen aroma with underlying malt sweetness.

Heavy, citrusy hop hit up front, slight burn as it goes down. Malt comes in at end of each sip. Nice.

Pretty good mouthfeel but the aforementioned burn takes it down a notch. Remains a very drinkable beer, though.

Had this on tap at Fatheads, too. The bottle holds up real well to the draft version. Well worth seeking out. WELL worth it.

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

I stumbled upon this killer brew after a tip from the wobbley mail man! Any Sierrra NV beer I've had has been great, but the Harvest is the best I've had in a while. I'm a fan of IPA's, porters and stouts and I was more than satisfied with the unbeatable taste of this beer.

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

A beautiful looking beer. A clear ruby copper color with good carbonation. The head is tall with a dense but fluffy white color. Plenty of lacing as it fades. A nice contrast to the copper glow underneath.
Aroma is nicely balanced with fresh wet hops vaguely floral. Sweet caramel malts serve as a sweet bouy for the hops. Fantastic understated aromatics.
Taste is awesome and pretty much perfect for me.
A perfectly balanced brew with hops being bold and flavorful but not the bitter overload you can get in other IPA's. The hops here floral to piney for me were sweet and fresh.
Malts carryied the load with confidence. Slightly grainy at end.
Sweet bitterness smacks the lips at the aftertaste, though it's not really bitter.
Thats what I like about this beer, everything is in perfect harmony.
Drinks smooth and has a border line heavy feel on the palette. Drinks clean.
A beer of the highest quality. This is why I drink quality over quantity.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into becker pint glass. Dark orange with a beautiful, thick fluffy white head that isn't going anywhere fast. Smells floral and hoppy, a bit of citrus, and clean malts in the background. Taste is incredibly well-balanced; a bit spiky up front, but it smooths out in the middle and finishes with a delightfully bitter aftertaste. The aftertaste seems to also have an aftertaste, which is sweet again. Love this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

A- mostly clear reddish copper amber tapering down to bright yellow with a whole spectrum of yellows and oranges in between. head is uniform and beige, nice wiggly clumpy lace everywhere..

S- certainly smells what i imagine freshly hoppy would smell like. a little more fruity and green with softened grapefruit, guava, tropical fruit, flowers, and pine. a bit of gasoline or like the fuel way a mango smells. wine barrels and woodsy sweet and toasty caramel malt also very nice.

T- exceptional taste and perfectly balanced (for me). hop flavor is fresh and intense and not brutally bitter, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, pineapple, spruce, and a peppery kick with some toasted and semi sweet grains. fresh bitterness at the end, oils resins, and some greenness, smooth and woodsy, tobacco, soil.

MF- full and lightly oily. pleasant astringent bitter dryness with an overall fruity feeling. just under medium carbonation fizzles away in the dense hoppipness leaving what feels like hop essence! ... trailing behind. resinous. herbal.

D- glad i found this. it really appeals to me because the balance fits my ideal ipa dreamz, and the fresh hops are outer space. puts your ass to sleep too. hop sedation.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

This wet hop IPA is outstanding. The 1 PT. 8 FL. oz bottle states that it is a 100-day IPA, drink fresh and don't store. The IPA boasts an awesome hoppy flavor with some citrus and a slight pine finish. A bit more smooth than the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. I am definitely not sipping this one. I wish this was available in 12oz. bottles. Enjoy!

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

The hops taste and smell different; in a good way. You can feel and taste the oils; niu bueno

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Clear copper, sticky well formed cap of foam on top. Exploding with bright hops - leafy, citric, grassy, dankness. Sticky hop oils coat the palate. Malt is beefy but doesn't interfere. Still the best wet-hopped beer on the market, and cheers to Sierra Nevada for pricing these bombers ounce-for-ounce the same as their 12oz offerings. American craft beer at its finest.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured the beer from the bottle into a pint glass. I absolutely love the way this beer looks, beautiful copper color with frothy off white head which goes the distance. The nose is hops lovely hops, spiciness. I am slightly biased, I love hops. This beer is outstanding the taste is hoppy but well balanced, medium bodied. Wonderful beer. I will go and buy the rest of the stock up. Really liked this one!!!!

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Nov'14. On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Upped the rating as this is truly a superlative brew. I don'th think Sierra Nevada get enough credit as one of the true leaders in American brewing. Hats off.

From bottle at home. This years model. As one who has a very small tolerance for hoppy brews I live in hope that there are those that can create hop forwards IPAs or, as in this case, can showcase that which makes hops so very popular, and appeal to dogs of my ilk.

They say to not judge a book by the cover, but I've found the sturdier the head & intricate the lacing, the more balanced the brew. This gets high marks in both, which supports my theory.

Balance is always the key for me & this is a great example of well thought out & executed balances on every level.

The first sip hit me with a serious resin-like flavor that took a moment to adjust to. There is no bite whatsoever. The bitter is right where I like it.

A comfortable & inviting experience.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Beautiful beer. A little bitter on the tongue, gorgeous aromas of pine, honey, some citrus and some floral notes. An absolutely fluffy white head and a smooth resounding finish. Great beer, even better when really cold, when all the wet hops seem to explode against the roof of the mouth.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a bomber into an american pub pint
A-nice orangish ale, superior lacing
SJuicey hops bill with a hint of the malt bill
T-Nice citrusy hop one would expect from the west coast...With a very ,toward the hop, Malt balance not frequented on the west coast. Very Good!!!
M- Well for the style I would outstanding, almost stout like creaminess
D-All I can handle!!!! (3 max) lol

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.