2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,000 | Reviews: 1,027 | Show All Ratings:
kdawg105

Georgia

Wow I think I have found one of my favorite IPAs to date. Apparance out of this world more than you expect with caramel color with lots of beautiful lace. Taste has nice citrus kick but with some spice added, the moutheel is perfect very smooth easy to drink. Please purchase this beer!

02-17-2012 00:39:08 | More by kdawg105
Whitley

Vermont

I have been trying quite a few IPA's lately and although many of them are seriously great beers, I know I can always count on Sierra Nevada to give me what I am looking for. I am a huge Torpedo fan and I must say that I find the Ruthless Rye to be right up there with it and could definitely drink gallon after gallon of this stuff and be quite content, without the need to look elsewhere. Now, in my book, that is an excellent beer !!

02-26-2014 01:20:56 | More by Whitley
KingJason

Oklahoma

the list is bold but basically this beer is so great only Kal-El would drink it. Where Kal-El is from is another story like the story of rye being infused into the malt of this singing brewed IPA, the Winston racer at the finish line, is that Messi with his fly eyes? I mean, this beer.

03-14-2014 16:52:39 | More by KingJason
lsummers

4.96/5  rDev +27.5%

Had this on tap and in a bottle for this review. Pours an amber honey orange. The attenuation is high on this one, as is the lacing. A nice offwhite two finger head lingers for a minute.

Smells of spicy pine with some barnyard and lemon/orange. Touch of herbal nature. Touch of pineapple/grapefruit.

Taste is so very well balanced. Piney hops and spicy rye hits with a bitter note upfront. Slight cereal note with a touch citrus pineapple. Very clean herbal peppery notes from the rye.

Mouthfeel is clean with some fizz bouncing off the tongue and smooth.

Overall, this is a definite go to for me. It's perfectly balanced yet diverse enough to still be interesting. I will continually seek out this rye ipa.

03-07-2013 06:43:48 | More by lsummers
naharah

4.93/5  rDev +26.7%

This is by far my favorite Rye I.P.A that I have tried so far. After I was pouring in into my pint glass the beer left a nice two inch head. My nose was lit up as I took in the inviting smell of spice, citrus and oh those hops. Every sip you are required to savor the taste and enjoy the carbonation as is glides down your throat. I hope that Sierra Nevada decides to make this beer year round, as I have been sending them letters asking so. If you have not tried this beer I would recommend it ANY time you see it! I am glad to have had the pleasure to enjoy such a well crafted beer.

06-03-2012 18:50:02 | More by naharah
Br0wnsfn31

4.93/5  rDev +26.7%

This is my first ever review.. and i wanted to review my favorite beer.. i have been drinking craft beer for about 5 years.. and this is the one i keep going back to and when January comes im waiting for this to come to my local store.. so here is my opinion about this beer..

A- Dark rust color.. a ton of bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass with about 2 fingers of head.. the head is off white thick and doesn't look too soapy; but it doesn't look like it is going to anticipate anytime soon

S- Citrus right off the bat.. Grapefruit.. with a hint of caramel and and black pepper.. very faint smell of chocolate there too.. very good aromas coming from this beer

T- first off i want to point off this is a very complex beer.. the taste differs in ever single sip.. which i love.. Citrus right off the bat then u get a touch of peppery taste with almost a brown ale back taste.. this really reminds me a combo of the torpedo and the tumbler.. with some natural spiciness.. its very well made..

M- makes my mouth happy.. not sure what mouthfeel is?

O- again this is my favorite beer.. i have had my share of beers.. but i always remember the first time i had this and my reaction.. Good job Sierra Nevada.. if you think this review is off or high.. that is ur opinion.. everyone has different taste buds.. but i urge you if you see this at a store.. pick it up and try it.. A+++

04-10-2014 00:01:55 | More by Br0wnsfn31
ThePortlander

4.9/5  rDev +26%

So, I normally love Ruthless. As far as I'm concerned this is a brilliant addition to the SN lineup, and a classic in its own right. In the cask, however, I LOVE this IPA! I had it at Bierkraft in Brooklyn, and was simply blown away by everything from the appearance to the taste. The light carbonation enhanced the malt flavors, and boosted the mouthfeel giving this Ruthless a bigger presence. Amazing.

Serving type: cask

04-05-2012 02:31:04 | More by ThePortlander
chiccabeer

4.88/5  rDev +25.4%

I had this beer out of a bottle and poured it into a glass. I have to say I was stunned when I had it. It has a great smell that has a nutty smell to it. You can smell the aroma hops at work. The taste is definitely strong and reminiscent of an IPA, but it has a strong rye favor. I can taste some spice in the beer, but over arching I can taste a pleasant conflict of orange and rye. It seems like such a simple blend, but definitely crafted perfectly. It has a smooth feel and leaves a strong sweet after taste. I would definitely suggest this beer anytime, and a good beer to give to friends.

03-07-2012 00:39:08 | More by chiccabeer
purdueracer

4.88/5  rDev +25.4%

This is an incredible beer. It has a unique flavor profile. It hits you hard with the hops and the rye. It finishes with a really nice dry aftertaste. It's a beer that you enjoy for a minute when you're done drinking. It is one of my favorite beers.

03-24-2013 05:35:02 | More by purdueracer
thebrood1987

4.85/5  rDev +24.7%

Smells very fruity and floral with a sharp grapefruit smell that I get from Sierra Nevada beers and Victory beers due to the whole cone hops both breweries use. I also get a bit of that bready rye smell as well.

It has a spicy bite up front then quickly turning into the rye bread spicy maltiness and then quickly turning to a sharp bitter piney citric bite. They use experimental hops in this one and you can tell its a different hop flavor than their Torpedo. This has more of piney resin taste to it. Its great though backed with that spicy malty rye.

Between the experimental hops they use in this beer, the malty rye bready taste and the spicyness from the rye and hops melding together makes this my favorite Sierra Nevada beer. Definitely too bad they don't have this as a year round beer.

02-08-2012 04:58:09 | More by thebrood1987
threeviews

4.78/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on date of February 3, 2012) into a 14oz Libbey Snifter...fresh, fresh, fresh!

A- Pours a clear, deep amber color with a 2-3 finger off-white, meringue head.

S- The aroma is pungent with rye spice & pine. As the head subsides and the beer warms (as well as swirl it in the glass), subtle orange and grapefruit notes reveal themselves. Despite a Citra presence in the dry hop bill, the Chinook and "Experimental Hops" dominate with spice and pine.

T- As you exhale, the rye dominates your senses but its (spicy) flavor is kept in check by the hops (grapefruit rind is secondary to the rye spice). It is so well balanced that your palate is left relatively unharmed and left with a lingering piney-ness reminiscent of Torpedo.

M- If familiar with their beers, it is classic Sierra Nevada. Moderate, soft carbonation that supports but never interferes with the flavors.

O- I could have easily given this brew 5's for all categories, as it is simply excellent. However, the Rye IPA style is somewhat of an acquired taste and I don't see it being overly sessionable. What's more, I would prefer a bit more citrus profile in the nose, as the rye and pine aromas tend to dominate. Although Torpedo and Celebration Ale reign supreme, Ruthless Rye is a worthwhile, tertiary offering.

All fans of IPA's and Sierra Nevada (Pale Ale & Torpedo) should not hesitate to pick this up while it's still available.

02-25-2012 21:07:52 | More by threeviews
mjurney

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance:
Copper color, slight haze. Lots of fine carbonation rising up. Thick rocky head.

Aroma:
Peppery, spicy, piney, citrus, bready.

Taste:
Rich, peppery, bready, biscuit, caramel. Hop bitterness is medium towards high, piney, grassy, herbal, blends well with rye malt. Finish is bitter-sweet, semi-dry. Body is robust, smooth, tangy, clean.

Overall:
An outstanding beer.

07-29-2013 00:57:10 | More by mjurney
MidwestMaverick

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The only reason I don't give this beer a perfect 5 is because I didn't actually see God, and ya gotta leave room for perfect. That said, for those who like a nice full bodied, hop forward, west coast IPA, it's pretty hard to beat this. I feel like it's balanced for it's style in that it has a nice rich mouth feel and full body, yet the flavor is all hops, without getting over the top and into imperial IPA territory. I feel like the rye must contribute more to that body than the flavor, adding a subtle peppery note without the syrupy sweetness often found in more 'balanced' IPAs. Hopefully they keep putting this out. Gets me through the second half of these looong midwest winters.

Plus, you gotta dig that label art.

03-19-2013 03:05:46 | More by MidwestMaverick
burnerfinger

4.73/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet:

A: dark oragnish hue - maxi head with sticky generous lacing. head settles to a thick tocky layer:

S: pure HOPS. very nice indeed.

T: malt takes a backseat to the piney hopiness. LOVE this

M good body, generous ABV well hidden. medium carbonation

D: low score here, this rich and thick brew is NOT to be guzzled. but it's GREAT!!!

02-25-2012 04:41:21 | More by burnerfinger
bbeerman

4.72/5  rDev +21.3%

A..A relatively dark golden pour with minimal to no head; no lacing present.

(As a side note, the label on this beer is one of the best I have seen. A robed maiden stands with a large sickle in a field of rye, while an old farmhouse stands in the background. The colors are gorgeous.)

S..This one smells fresh. Then again, most SN brews do (this one is reminiscent of Torpedo IPA).

T..Sierra Nevada created a terrific beer yet again! The rye here is original and wonderful. Some malt present, but not in an overpowering way. The combination of grains (which are great...did I mention that yet?) make me think I am drinking a glass of kind bud.

M..Easy to drink a couple, though I would not call this a session beer. Medium bodied, but it is a strong presence on the palette.

O..Looking forward to this one again, but already unhappy it won't be available all year. Awesome spring beer that SN should continue with each year.

01-15-2012 13:53:48 | More by bbeerman
sagefool

4.72/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just saw this at the grocery, in between my standby Torpedo IPA and a shelf down from the Ranger.

My. Lord.

I'm a Hophead by definition. My other non-hoppy "go-tos" are Spaten Optimator and Negro Modelo, mainly because it's a long drive to anything better. I used to be DFH all the way, but the price tends to get in the way.

I thought Torpedo was the best thing Sierra Nevada had going (big fan of their Kellerweizen, as well).

This is the IPA I have been searching for. It's just incredible. Great pour into a pilsner glass with a 2" head that slowly dissipated.

Strong hops up front, with a peppery finish on the back end. Doesn't leave you with that bloated feel you get when you've had too many of the Torpedo.

Malts are in the background, where I like them. Haven't had any spicy food with this yet, but I believe this beer can hold its own.

My new "King of the IPAs".

02-02-2012 03:00:03 | More by sagefool
TastyTaste

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I don't review beer all that often anymore, but I have gotten enough enjoyment from this newish offering from Sierra Nevada.

The body is dark copper, the head is pillowy and lively. The smell is all i should be, rye and hops. The rye lends a strong peppery punch, and really is the backbone of this beer. The hops lend a fruit, floral aspect that really play fantastically off the rye. I enjoy everything about this beer, I am sad it is a seasonal. This is probably my new favorite of the rye beers that have come to market lately.

06-11-2013 20:01:19 | More by TastyTaste
shcufj

Vermont

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to tall tulip glass.

A: Deep copper, light amber color. Solid, white effervescent head, dissipated quickly. some lacing

S: Strong hop aroma, with floral and very slight citrus hints. I also picked up some peppery notes on the nose

T: Nicely balanced malty, hoppy, and rye flavors. Finish was a peppery hoppy flavor, with the hops diminishing first

M: Medium bodied and crisp mouth feel, adequate if not slightly over carbonated.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. The rye coupled with an already very nice IPA created a nice drinking experience. Overall, I highly recommend this beer and will probably always have a few in the fridge.

01-21-2012 02:19:13 | More by shcufj
LordChesterfield

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

I picked this up at Safeway on a whim. I'm so glad I did. It's a deep reddish brown color and forms a rocky tan head. The nose is floral and hoppy, but the malt comes through in what some would describe as metallic. It's not. That's spicy rye goodness. It tastes just phenomenal, at any temperature. The hops are very present but completely balanced. People say the malt is spicy, but it's big and complex with a sweet, buttery flavor that lingers on the front of your tongue and in your memory. This is my first rye PA, and it has me wondering if they're all this good. It's a perfect early spring beer and here in Portland it already feels like early spring. This is jut perfect after a long bike ride.

UPDATE!!!: I just read that this bear contains more hop oils than any other Sierra Nevada beer, and I totally agree. It smells like really dank POT. Hops are related to cannabis after all. Betcha didn't know that. BOOM!

01-27-2012 08:20:50 | More by LordChesterfield
bbrown29073

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a 12-oz bottle to a 16 oz glass.

A-NICE creamy 1-inch head. Lacing followed all the way down, as I consumed it.

S-Hoppy...like an IPA should be

T-Grapefruit followed by a slight bitterness. VERY pleasant.

M-A touch more carbonation is called for, IMO

O- I bought a 6-pack that I do NOT intend to share with "just anyone". This is a VERY good beer.

02-18-2012 20:35:07 | More by bbrown29073
xShoWTeKx

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, has a good sized white head that holds for quite a while and leaves heavy lace. Color is a transparent copper.

S: Very strong spicy, citrusy hop smell with a slight rye bread and sweet caramel smell.

T: A nice spicy kind of rye bread taste with very light sweetness and a strong piney and citrus hop flavor ending.

M: Medium body with good carbonation, this beer is very very smooth.

O: This is a very dynamic and smooth beer that I thoroughly enjoyed and will enjoy again. Would definitely recommend trying this beer if you haven't.

03-28-2013 04:07:54 | More by xShoWTeKx
theveganbrewer

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

I have been officially blown away. I have never liked this beer before but it was cheap so I picked up a bottle of the 2013 batch. The mouthfeel and taste were fantastic, I found myself wanting more after just the first sip, and ended up basically chugging the beer.

A: Everything I'd expect from a brewery like SN. Clean, nice head, good lacing, some nice amber colors around the edges.

S: Rye spiciness and hops

T: Piney, resinous hops highlighted by a spicy rye

M: Chewy, with a nice bite. Addictively dry and smooth.

O: From the first sip I loved this beer. Everything seemed to line up right for me on this one. It's amazingly refreshing and drinkable.

01-22-2013 04:46:23 | More by theveganbrewer
dcook11

4.63/5  rDev +19%

Poured in to a pint glass. Wow, this looks fantastic. Thick, creamy white head with a generous amount of sticky lacing that just clings to the glass. The beer itself is a cooper/burgundy hue, with some fine bubbles rising to the top of the glass. The aroma is quite complex. Initially, I’m struck by the hop profile. Nice, grapefruit notes, followed quickly by a strong, yet balanced rye scent. As it warms, more tropical fruit notes make their presence known, and a caramel sweetness begins to take over. At times, the beer seems to take on a sweet tartness (kind of like the candy). As the beer approaches room temperature, it begins to take on a funky, musty, aroma. Maybe also a touch of simcoe like aroma as well. The taste, is crisp, with a strong hop punch at the start. Fresh hops on the tongue, followed by a lingering, drying bitterness. The rye also balances the brew nicely, providing more of a balance to the aggressive hoping. The abv is well concealed. Very nice. The mouth feel is medium bodied. Overall, this beer is a must try for the IPA lover. If you’re not a fan f Rye beers, give this a try, it may change your mind.

01-22-2012 02:08:18 | More by dcook11
jwhancher

4.63/5  rDev +19%

Bought a single bottle from Total Wine in DE. Had this on tap a few weeks ago and really dug it. Wanted to try it again in the comfort of my home.

A: Pours a clear dark copper with nice frothy head that's long lasting.

S: Spicy, peppery, citrus & pine hops. Has that signature Sierra hop character with a spice-like quality I'm assuming is coming from the rye malt.

T: Quite a wallop at first with the spice & pepper notes! A nice burst of hop character. Some caramel sweetness that helps round out the aggressive hop flavor.

M: Strikingly bitter at first that softens into a mellower malt flavor. Feels medium to medium-full with the sticky hop residue seemingly weighing it down.

O: I think SN hit another home run with this one. The rye character lends an interesting note. This is easily now one of my favorite SN beers. I would place this one next to Celebration, Pale Ale, and Bigfoot. Great effort - I dig this one a lot!

02-29-2012 21:01:48 | More by jwhancher
FlatRabbitRed

Arizona

4.61/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sierra Nevada leads the craft brew industry, not because of popularity ...because of they're delivery! This is the best rye beer I have ever had, I find rye beers to be an acquired taste, they have a funky bite to them, and until now I did not see how they could be balanced well enough to be properly enjoyed.

Great bronze color, nice rye taste ....(more like a pumpernickel taste ) roasted caramel tones, and what you would expect from Sierra Nevada hop profile ....bold but well balanced.

This is a must try beer if you have not done so.

03-12-2013 13:51:55 | More by FlatRabbitRed
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.