Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011

Ratings: 4,873 | Reviews: 1,095
4.37/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A- Beautiful copper/amber/orange body with 2 fingers of heavy white foam and very active carbonation flying around. Lacing is solid and the head hangs out.

S- the peppery, spicy, bready character comes out with some citrusy hop notes and some yeast but it's faint. the overall aroma is pungent and inviting.

T- total herbal hops. it's floral yet spicy and mean. it's very cool. challenging, in a good way. you get a bit of that rye malt when the hop bomb fades.

M- very hard carbonation bite on the tongue. it's dry, medium bodied, and clean.

O- holy cow. this is ruthless rye 2013. it's spicy, hoppy, bitter, complex, and everything that makes the american IPA a neverending adventure in beer. I'll keep this around for brewing sessions. Skol.

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

super awesome dark golden color with a creamy, off-white topping which is still hanging around. without light shining through it directly, it is a dark apple juice color.
not getting much smell but my sniffer is a little locked up with the pre-spring heat we're having today. but there definitely isn't much on the nose. taste is peppery and rye-like, indeed. an edgy bitterness and slightly dry. some citrus but I like the rye in this one compared to other rye brews. no carbonation to speak of and medium feel to it. very nice. probably one of my more favorite sierra Nevada offerings....

4.36/5  rDev +12.1%

Beautiful, clear amber color with a big, lumpy foam crater head. Glass bottom retention deposits multiple thick, impressive lace rings on it's journey south. I can't think of how it could look any better.

Aroma is grassy pine and then orange/pine sorbet that I typically get from Simcoe.

Spicier than I anticipated. I guess that's why it's called "ruthless." Bold move Mr. Nevada. Spicy citrus and pine hops add to the rye spice. Respectable bitter finish.

Because Sierra Nevada is so widely available and so affordable it's easy to forget they make some of the best damn beer around.

4.36/5  rDev +12.1%

Sierra’s new brew is a rye pale ale that’s a caramel-amber color with a billowy white foam topping. Its aroma is lightly hopped with grapefruit and some rye spice coming through. Full-flavored body with hops making their grand entry midpoint and tapering into a nice hoppy, resiny finish balanced by that good rye zestiness. I can’t complain that this one is going to be just about everywhere Sierra is. Try it.

4.36/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear whiskey brown hue, with a big three-finger off-white head that seems to never dissipate. Great amount of lacing is left on the glass.

Smell: Spiceyness is what first comes to mind. You can definitely note citrus hops and hoppyness in general, but you can also smell the spicyness of the rye, with a bit of sweet malts lingering in the back.

Taste: This is really good! The mixture of citrus hops and spicy rye mix incredibly well and are very well-balanced throughout. There is definitely an earthy undertone here, mineral-like. A nice spicey bitterness lingers throughout, but it isn't a huge bitterness, just mild. The spice does linger for a bit afterwards though.

Mouthfeel: It fits the taste profile well. Moderate body with moderate carbonation, and it is damn smooth and pretty creamy as well. Not Boddington's creamy, but fairly creamy. Nice.

Overall: As my first rye beer, this one is just great. It has the noticeable hoppyness of an IPA, but enough spicey rye to let you know that it's there. Delicious.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into an Evolution Brewing pint glass. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a copper color with a 1/2 inch head that retains well until retreating to a thin ring around the edge of the glass leaving frost-like lacing behind it. Plenty of surface foam in a mold-type formation that indicates healthy yeast.

S- A sharp, hoppy nose that's grassy and fresh.

T- Solid bitterness that's backed up by the rye very well. Celery and green onion come to mind. Drinkability is right on point. The hop bite evens out with every sip bringing the drink as a whole to a smooth ride.

M- Soft considering how bitter it is. Dry afterfeel. Medium-high carbonation.

O- SN continues to uphold their reputation of producing quality brews that anyone can appreciate.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

This is the first rye ipa I have had.
Great hop flavor, very smooth and ballanced. With some spice notes thats a little different from other ipa's I have had.
Nice copper color, and the carbonation is just right. I will be looking foward to this realease every year now, very good.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the first Rye beer I've tried I think.. But so far so good.

A- considering it's in a bottle and I'm not gonna pour it out just to see it, this makes a this part a little difficult. But... I did pour just a sliver into a glass and it had a nice copper color.

S- the smell was good but there wasn't a lot there. I'm sure if I had a glass I would've enjoyed the smell more. But from what I did pick up, I could tell it was going to be a stronger first taste than I thought.

T- the first taste was spicy (if that's how you use that term). Definitely a little kick. Once that taste starts to leave you get hit simultaneously with a bitter orangey flavor that is just amazing.

M- once I was able to give my mouth a tour, it was just dieing for more! All of the flavors work well together.

O- so far, Sierra Nevada hasn't let me down. This is definitely a very great brew. I would have no problems buying a six pack or suggesting this to friends and family.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Dark amber body with a light but frothy head.

Nose is sharp and spicy. Rye character is the operative thing here.

Tastes just like it smells. Sharp, tangy, spicy, with a hop bite on the finish. Thirst quenching while still being very flavorful. Just an outstanding balance of rye, hops and top-notch brewing ability. Another huge win for SN, in my opinion!

Tart and quenching. Slightly toothy from the hops. Love this beer on my tongue!

Overall drinkability is really good. SN doesn't make a bad beer, but I like this one even more than the rest of their lineup.

This is a beer for food. Chili, Nachos, BBQ, even a Bacon Cheeseburger with seasoned fries. Plenty of flavor and character to work well with intense flavors.

2013 bottle

Very deep amber/ almost brown with offwhite head

Smells of citrusy hops and some hearty grain

Taste is very balanced being slightly hop forward but fading quickly to a grain aftertaste

Nice full mouthfeel with good carbonation

I really like this beer and will drink quite alot of this over the next few months

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

I first tasted the Ruthless Rye IPA in my home poured from a bottle into a freezing pint glass, good pour, head about a inch thick. I wasn't sure what to expect from this Rye IPA, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was hoppy, and got a smell and taste of Citrus, which in my opinion was a great blend. I've recently drank SN Torpedo and Celebration Ale, which I loved both and wasn't disappointed by the Ruthless Rye Ale at all. Excellent brew, I recommend strongly. I do think it tastes better from a cold(or very cold) pint glass.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz beer. This poured with next to no head and only minimal lacing around the glass. The beer itself is a medium amber color, very reddish with fairly apparent carbonation. It almost looks like an amber ale.

The nose here is very peppery. The rye malt really works well with the hops and are noticeable in equal measure. The hops are a little bit piney (minimmally so) and quite pleasant.

The first thing that hits the palate is hoppy bitterness, much more so than I would have expected just from the nose alone. The initial bitterness lingers on the palate quite ahile and really never dissipates, to be hoenst, its one of the bitterest IPA's I've ever had.

Overrall this beer is just great, solid nose, taste, and mouthfeel. For $9.99 a sixer its also a great value. I will definitely be purchasing this beer again when it comes out next spring!

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

a: This was a dark, golden caramel color. It poured with a large, sticky, very creamy head.

s: Plenty of citrusy pine with a surprisingly noticeable spicy rye backbone.

t: There is a hint of caramel sweetness up front that is quickly pushed aside by a wave biting rye and earthy, pungent hoppiness.

m: Thick and chewy.

o: Another reasonably priced, excellent IPA from SN. Love those guys.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into glass. Another awesome beer from Sierra Nevada. This is a super earthy IPA made from rye. The appearance is amazing, with a really crisp dark color to it. It is a brownish amber that pours a decent head.

The taste is amazing, but a little mellow for an IPA. The rye really makes this beer have a rustic flavor, and although the taste of hops are present, they do not linger at all. The taste is not malty either, but a clean, heavy taste that is extremely drinkable for such a beer.

The final verdict is that this beer is incredible. I feel that Sierra Nevada makes really great beers that are accessible enough for novice beer drinkers, yet will please basically anyone that enjoys an amazing beer. Defiantly check this out if you haven't yet.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

12 oz bottle, packaged on Dec. 30th if I'm reading the date code correctly. The pour doesn't yield much of a head, but there is some lasting soapy froth. Dark copper, almost amber in color with high clarity. The smell of signature Sierra Nevada hops are apparent, much like the orignal Pale Ale itself. Sharp, piney notes from the hops are well paired with a grainy, rye cracker character.

The key to the flavor here is good balance. The hops are not over the top, and the bitterness is at a good solid level, building after the finish. This is not a sweet IPA. The rye malt is lightly-dry, with a peppery, biscuity taste, and only touches of fruit in the far background. I like that the alcohol is not even a factor here, and the drinkability is through the roof. The mouthfeel is crisp with a rather zesty carbonation. Not too heavy or too light in body.

This is a top notch ale from a brewery that never lets you down. I'm just wondering, what if this was a hard to find, special release? If Three Floyds was the name on it I bet the rating would be sky high. Just imagine if your local brewery did something like this. You would be pretty amazed. But this is par for the course for Sierra Nevada and I suppose most folks will just think it's decent. As for me, I'm going to drink alot of this while it's available...

4.34/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So this was another first for me . The beer poured a copper color with a finger width head. The smell is a nice balance of malt and hops. The rye really shines through in the taste and the flavor overall was very enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

ooooh i love this time of the year because i get to try the ruthless rye from snbc

ok here it goes picked up a fresh 6pack from my local deli on way back home from work

pours deep red color and nice white head aroma is a bit faint but getting some figs in there allong with some of the great juicy hops you would expect from sierra but also i get some spice in there kind o like nutmeg maybe its the rye?

and here we go with the taste very smooth i would say drinkable like a rye ipa but having more complexity and depth

the mouthfeel was the winner here it definitely popped out at you like a big explosion of depth but not too cloying

overall i like it and will seek it out again next year

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Clear amber color. About four centimeters of head, left pretty lacing behind. Still a nice head after a few minutes passed.

Strong rye smell right when I opened the bottle. Balanced with some citrusy aromas.

Spicy rye in the face. There's some sweetness to balance it out and notes of orange/citrus fruit zest. I can detect some piney undertones. Interesting combination of flavors, I really dig it.

Moderate carbonation and I definitely would not have guessed that it's 6.6% ABV.

If you're into rye, give this a buy. Especially if you're a fan of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. I didn't expect to enjoy this beer so much, glad I picked it up!

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a brandy snifter glass.

Pours a nice burnt ruby red, crystal clear with a 2 finger frothy foam that thins to a slimy sticky film left all over the glass. First on the nose, the citrus from the hops grapefruit, mango, peaches, then the rye kicks in with a perfect bready balance. Caraway seeds soaked in grapefruit juice is what i keep getting when i stick my nose in, impressed. The mouth is much the same very bready from the rye, and the piny, citrus hops just fill the body and the finish, a slight amount of booze sneaking its way in too. Medium bodied, semi tart/bitter, tons of fruit and rye characters throughout, finishes dry and begging for more. This beer was quite impressive for me i have to admit, and has definitely changed the way i see rye beers, hope they make this a regular seasonal.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, bottled late Dec 2011. This pours a slightly dark amber, large foamy tan head which leaves a lacing. The smells are of hops, pine, a little caramel and some rye. The feel Is medium. The taste is great a nice bitterness, an earthy nice after taste, love it.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was a surprise, I enjoyed this beer very much.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Clear orange with some brown tones. The head starts two finger thick and laces nicely.

S- Very rich aroma. It's spicy, earthy, woody, with caramel undertones. There's just something very clean about the aroma.

T- It starts off thick and slightly sweet before transitioning into spicy, peppery, and bitter. The beer leaves a clean feeling in your mouth. There is a little graininess and dryness from the rye, but it's not overpowering. It's an extremely well balanced rye beer. This is one of my favorite rye beers I've had yet.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The rye also adds some sharpness.

O- Very delicious and well balanced.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

clear and amber with little carbonation bubbles, the head was thick with very small tight foam, just slightly off-white.

smells very strong of rye and hops.

rye spiciness followed by a hoppy bitterness with just a touch of alcohol in the finish, despite the strong flavor it was very refreshing on a warm day.

hoppy bitterness lingers on the pallet, a very clean refreshing beer, not too carbonated or syrupy thick.

A great beer for summer, was delicious with a plate of pulled pork BBQ. clean, light and grassy with a distinct flavor of rye.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Sierra did it again. This is an excellent IPA or RyePA.

Don't be too freaked by the spicy notes. It's subtle. Terrific balance of bitter hops and sweet, spicy malt/grain. Smells very nice, but taste is the thing here. Very fresh and refreshing brew. Not overly heavy or cloying. Again, very balanced profile. Alcohol is well hidden and after a few sneaks up on you.

Enjoying one now with a roast beef, cheddar, horseradish on rye. Very good beer with bold flavored food.

My highest compliments to a beer well done!

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance
Deep- yet clear amber color tinted copper, medium-think head, good lacing
Smell
Pine and hops. Rye, malts and a hint of alcohol
Taste
Delicious, the bitterness kicks in, its raw and aggressive feeling but not overly so. There’s a complex blend of flavors the malt, rye, hops which makes for a really good beer
Overall
I first picked this up because, well- the package looks kick ass. I had never seen it before and they only had it by the 12 pack, so of course I bought it. Once I had my first one I was hooked and went right back out to buy another case, fearing it would be too late if I waited. I definitely recommend this, I always enjoy it.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.