Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011)

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Saw it at the local store and had to have it being that I am a huge fan of their Torpedo IPA.

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. What came out was opaque and dark honey/mahogany in color with a 1/2'' of head that kept retention pretty well.

The nose was a bit muted, but it had the typical IPA scents - peppery spices, fruit, and hops. The taste is what impressed me. The flavors that were muted on the nose came out strong in the mouth. However, it's noticeably mellower than the Torpedo IPA (is it the color?) without losing the signature IPA flavors.

The mouthfeel is medium as a good IPA should be with plenty of carbonation and a dry finish that definitely reminds me of the lightly bitter and pungent flavors of rye bread.

I was a bit skeptical about this one, but I'm glad I got it. Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pours a nice copper hue with a healthy head of cream colored head on top. Some amber in both the body and the head. A significant amount of bubble action in the body. Very nice feature. It's kind of wowwing me.

S: That classic West Coast sweet malt aroma with a nice citrus background. Some earthiness to be sure, but that's not up front. Very nice balance all around. Good feature.

T: Not really getting the citrus flavor that was in the aroma. Lots of caramel and toasted malt taste. Some biscuity malt too. Enough earthy hops flavor to keep this from being a malt bomb. I think what makes this better than some other malty IPAs is this taste fresh.

M: Solid medium body with some nice hoppy chewiness. Sweet malt coats the mouth. Solid carbonation. Feel is better than good.

O: I really like this beer. This might be the best Sierra Nevada beer out there. I'm digging it.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: A brown color with a decent haze on it. Head is about two fingers, and stays at one throughout most of the glass. Lacing, at least at the start, is very nice.

Smell: Holy interest. The rye with the citrus creates this fantastic aroma that I'll have a hard time trying to describe. Really, in order of the prominence, it's a dirty, woody, piney, citrus aroma.

Taste: Not too unlike the smell, to be honest. For an IPA, I'm getting loads of malts on the front and back end of each sip. This screams Spring or Fall beer, for me. It's definitely a rye beer, but it's hard to say this is an IPA. There are some bitter hops on the finish, though, so I guess it's not completely far off. The finish is dry, and, as I said, bitter on Ruthless Rye. Despite its dry finish, Ruthless Rye remains super drinkable, and somehow refreshing. The alcohol doesn't come through in the flavor at all either. The feel on this one is right where it ought to be. It's carbonated quite well, but it's not carbonated to the point that it feels harsh on the tongue.

Ruthless Rye is just a great beer. To be honest, I'm surprised it "only" has an 88 rating. I really think I like this beer better than my hometown Red's Rye by Founders, though I haven't had it for quite some time. Definitely pick this one up.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.