Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Added by kaseydad on 12-29-2011

Reviews: 1,113 | Ratings: 5,048
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Sierra did it again. This is an excellent IPA or RyePA.

Don't be too freaked by the spicy notes. It's subtle. Terrific balance of bitter hops and sweet, spicy malt/grain. Smells very nice, but taste is the thing here. Very fresh and refreshing brew. Not overly heavy or cloying. Again, very balanced profile. Alcohol is well hidden and after a few sneaks up on you.

Enjoying one now with a roast beef, cheddar, horseradish on rye. Very good beer with bold flavored food.

My highest compliments to a beer well done!

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance
Deep- yet clear amber color tinted copper, medium-think head, good lacing
Smell
Pine and hops. Rye, malts and a hint of alcohol
Taste
Delicious, the bitterness kicks in, its raw and aggressive feeling but not overly so. There’s a complex blend of flavors the malt, rye, hops which makes for a really good beer
Overall
I first picked this up because, well- the package looks kick ass. I had never seen it before and they only had it by the 12 pack, so of course I bought it. Once I had my first one I was hooked and went right back out to buy another case, fearing it would be too late if I waited. I definitely recommend this, I always enjoy it.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

I poured it into a pint glass. It was a nice sight indeed, pleasant copper/amber color, a little hazy, with an inch thick, fluffy head. It smells quite good too, some rye (I compared the scent to a loaf of rye bread, just to see how it compared), and a lot of spice, floral and citrus. The taste was really similar to the smell, a lil' spiciness with more of a hoppy taste, didn't get the rye quite as much in the nose. The hops were the predominate taste at first, with a bitter finish. It was mildly carbonated and surprising really drinkable and smooth.
This was my first Rye IPA and because of this, I'm definitely gonna check out some more!

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a gorgeous amber with thick creamy head. Nose is floral, herbal, and peppery. The rye certainly shines through nicely, giving it a pleasant hearty rye-grain taste with the assertive hop profile coming right in afterwards. Great balance and interplay of malt and hop flavors.

4.34/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So this was another first for me . The beer poured a copper color with a finger width head. The smell is a nice balance of malt and hops. The rye really shines through in the taste and the flavor overall was very enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into an Evolution Brewing pint glass. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a copper color with a 1/2 inch head that retains well until retreating to a thin ring around the edge of the glass leaving frost-like lacing behind it. Plenty of surface foam in a mold-type formation that indicates healthy yeast.

S- A sharp, hoppy nose that's grassy and fresh.

T- Solid bitterness that's backed up by the rye very well. Celery and green onion come to mind. Drinkability is right on point. The hop bite evens out with every sip bringing the drink as a whole to a smooth ride.

M- Soft considering how bitter it is. Dry afterfeel. Medium-high carbonation.

O- SN continues to uphold their reputation of producing quality brews that anyone can appreciate.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

This is the first rye ipa I have had.
Great hop flavor, very smooth and ballanced. With some spice notes thats a little different from other ipa's I have had.
Nice copper color, and the carbonation is just right. I will be looking foward to this realease every year now, very good.

4.35/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the first Rye beer I've tried I think.. But so far so good.

A- considering it's in a bottle and I'm not gonna pour it out just to see it, this makes a this part a little difficult. But... I did pour just a sliver into a glass and it had a nice copper color.

S- the smell was good but there wasn't a lot there. I'm sure if I had a glass I would've enjoyed the smell more. But from what I did pick up, I could tell it was going to be a stronger first taste than I thought.

T- the first taste was spicy (if that's how you use that term). Definitely a little kick. Once that taste starts to leave you get hit simultaneously with a bitter orangey flavor that is just amazing.

M- once I was able to give my mouth a tour, it was just dieing for more! All of the flavors work well together.

O- so far, Sierra Nevada hasn't let me down. This is definitely a very great brew. I would have no problems buying a six pack or suggesting this to friends and family.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Dark amber body with a light but frothy head.

Nose is sharp and spicy. Rye character is the operative thing here.

Tastes just like it smells. Sharp, tangy, spicy, with a hop bite on the finish. Thirst quenching while still being very flavorful. Just an outstanding balance of rye, hops and top-notch brewing ability. Another huge win for SN, in my opinion!

Tart and quenching. Slightly toothy from the hops. Love this beer on my tongue!

Overall drinkability is really good. SN doesn't make a bad beer, but I like this one even more than the rest of their lineup.

This is a beer for food. Chili, Nachos, BBQ, even a Bacon Cheeseburger with seasoned fries. Plenty of flavor and character to work well with intense flavors.

2013 bottle

Very deep amber/ almost brown with offwhite head

Smells of citrusy hops and some hearty grain

Taste is very balanced being slightly hop forward but fading quickly to a grain aftertaste

Nice full mouthfeel with good carbonation

I really like this beer and will drink quite alot of this over the next few months

4.35/5  rDev +11%

I first tasted the Ruthless Rye IPA in my home poured from a bottle into a freezing pint glass, good pour, head about a inch thick. I wasn't sure what to expect from this Rye IPA, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was hoppy, and got a smell and taste of Citrus, which in my opinion was a great blend. I've recently drank SN Torpedo and Celebration Ale, which I loved both and wasn't disappointed by the Ruthless Rye Ale at all. Excellent brew, I recommend strongly. I do think it tastes better from a cold(or very cold) pint glass.

4.35/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz beer. This poured with next to no head and only minimal lacing around the glass. The beer itself is a medium amber color, very reddish with fairly apparent carbonation. It almost looks like an amber ale.

The nose here is very peppery. The rye malt really works well with the hops and are noticeable in equal measure. The hops are a little bit piney (minimmally so) and quite pleasant.

The first thing that hits the palate is hoppy bitterness, much more so than I would have expected just from the nose alone. The initial bitterness lingers on the palate quite ahile and really never dissipates, to be hoenst, its one of the bitterest IPA's I've ever had.

Overrall this beer is just great, solid nose, taste, and mouthfeel. For $9.99 a sixer its also a great value. I will definitely be purchasing this beer again when it comes out next spring!

4.35/5  rDev +11%

a: This was a dark, golden caramel color. It poured with a large, sticky, very creamy head.

s: Plenty of citrusy pine with a surprisingly noticeable spicy rye backbone.

t: There is a hint of caramel sweetness up front that is quickly pushed aside by a wave biting rye and earthy, pungent hoppiness.

m: Thick and chewy.

o: Another reasonably priced, excellent IPA from SN. Love those guys.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into glass. Another awesome beer from Sierra Nevada. This is a super earthy IPA made from rye. The appearance is amazing, with a really crisp dark color to it. It is a brownish amber that pours a decent head.

The taste is amazing, but a little mellow for an IPA. The rye really makes this beer have a rustic flavor, and although the taste of hops are present, they do not linger at all. The taste is not malty either, but a clean, heavy taste that is extremely drinkable for such a beer.

The final verdict is that this beer is incredible. I feel that Sierra Nevada makes really great beers that are accessible enough for novice beer drinkers, yet will please basically anyone that enjoys an amazing beer. Defiantly check this out if you haven't yet.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

12 oz bottle, packaged on Dec. 30th if I'm reading the date code correctly. The pour doesn't yield much of a head, but there is some lasting soapy froth. Dark copper, almost amber in color with high clarity. The smell of signature Sierra Nevada hops are apparent, much like the orignal Pale Ale itself. Sharp, piney notes from the hops are well paired with a grainy, rye cracker character.

The key to the flavor here is good balance. The hops are not over the top, and the bitterness is at a good solid level, building after the finish. This is not a sweet IPA. The rye malt is lightly-dry, with a peppery, biscuity taste, and only touches of fruit in the far background. I like that the alcohol is not even a factor here, and the drinkability is through the roof. The mouthfeel is crisp with a rather zesty carbonation. Not too heavy or too light in body.

This is a top notch ale from a brewery that never lets you down. I'm just wondering, what if this was a hard to find, special release? If Three Floyds was the name on it I bet the rating would be sky high. Just imagine if your local brewery did something like this. You would be pretty amazed. But this is par for the course for Sierra Nevada and I suppose most folks will just think it's decent. As for me, I'm going to drink alot of this while it's available...

4.36/5  rDev +11.2%

Beautiful, clear amber color with a big, lumpy foam crater head. Glass bottom retention deposits multiple thick, impressive lace rings on it's journey south. I can't think of how it could look any better.

Aroma is grassy pine and then orange/pine sorbet that I typically get from Simcoe.

Spicier than I anticipated. I guess that's why it's called "ruthless." Bold move Mr. Nevada. Spicy citrus and pine hops add to the rye spice. Respectable bitter finish.

Because Sierra Nevada is so widely available and so affordable it's easy to forget they make some of the best damn beer around.

4.36/5  rDev +11.2%

Sierra’s new brew is a rye pale ale that’s a caramel-amber color with a billowy white foam topping. Its aroma is lightly hopped with grapefruit and some rye spice coming through. Full-flavored body with hops making their grand entry midpoint and tapering into a nice hoppy, resiny finish balanced by that good rye zestiness. I can’t complain that this one is going to be just about everywhere Sierra is. Try it.

4.36/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear whiskey brown hue, with a big three-finger off-white head that seems to never dissipate. Great amount of lacing is left on the glass.

Smell: Spiceyness is what first comes to mind. You can definitely note citrus hops and hoppyness in general, but you can also smell the spicyness of the rye, with a bit of sweet malts lingering in the back.

Taste: This is really good! The mixture of citrus hops and spicy rye mix incredibly well and are very well-balanced throughout. There is definitely an earthy undertone here, mineral-like. A nice spicey bitterness lingers throughout, but it isn't a huge bitterness, just mild. The spice does linger for a bit afterwards though.

Mouthfeel: It fits the taste profile well. Moderate body with moderate carbonation, and it is damn smooth and pretty creamy as well. Not Boddington's creamy, but fairly creamy. Nice.

Overall: As my first rye beer, this one is just great. It has the noticeable hoppyness of an IPA, but enough spicey rye to let you know that it's there. Delicious.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%

This 12 ounce bottle was purchased at Shop-N-Save in Ludington, MI. According to the Julian date code on the label it was bottled 12/28/2011. I popped the cap and poured into a Samuel Smith imperial pint glass. The pour resulted in a finger tall head that is a shade darker than ivory. As with all Sierra Nevada beers, head retention is very good. Lacing clings in patches as well as glides slowly down the glass. The beer is copper colored and very clear, resulting in a nice translucent brew with little visible carbonation to be seen through the glass. It is pretty nice to look at. For what it's worth, I also love the bottle's label, from the graphic to the font and color selection.

The aroma is a wonderfully sweet citrus menagerie. It is more than vaguely reminiscent of both Torpedo and Celebration, Sierra Nevada's other large production IPAs. A little rye spice does creep through, but for the most part it's a supple tangerine dream: a toned down version of what seems to be the Sierra Nevada house aroma. I find it to be heavenly.

As with other popular rye beers of the day (Hop Rod, Red's Rye) the rye takes a back seat to the hops in flavor. This is not a complaint as the combination seems to work well. The attribute that makes Ruthless unique among its peers is that this beer is much less dry than the average "Rye PA". Piney hops mingle in a pool of honey-like malty sweetness to create a pleasant pairing. The hops are mildly resinous in the mouth. There is a flash of biscuity maltiness in the middle. A small portion of peppery rye is detected in the finish, though the bulk of the spice is felt rather than tasted, with a mild lingering heat forming on the tongue.

The mouthfeel is also very strong with this brew. The body is nicely medium with a fairly low carbonation level. The citrusy flavors and mild carbonation give an impression of fresh squeezed orange juice (strained of course). It is creamy, and as stated previously, rye adds a pleasantly subtle heat while softly resinous hops coat the throat.

Overall this is an all around great brew. It smells and tastes fantastic, being moderately hoppy while maintaining solid drinkability. Sierra Nevada's pricing and availability is always a big plus. As a result, I am as much or more excited about Ruthless Rye as I am Sierra Nevada's much touted Celebration winter seasonal. I might even like it more than the comparable Founder's Red's Rye, which is my favorite year-round bottled beer here in Michigan. I will look forward to this each year from here on out.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I give two Schlitz about this new late winter seasonal. I'm loving this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%

This is a fun beer, great color, full mouthfeel, bright upfront flavors with a smooth, complex finish. This is a beer you will come back to! Fun, exciting, refreshing. Great job with the hop combinations used!

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%

A- Ruthless Rye pours a beautiful dark brown (amber when held directly in the light). With a finger and a half of a beige or off-white head full of tiny bubbles (key in the song).
S- This is one really complex combination. I get plenty of wonderful west coast hops up front coupled with piny and resiny smells associated pales. I also get plenty of pepper, grapefruit, passion fruit and other citrus fruits thrown in as well. Very, very dank smelling on the end of the nose as well.
T- Im getting alot of the same flavors on the tongue as I got in the aroma. Plenty of west coast hops (Citra and Simcoe most likely). Lots of grapefruit and passion fruit notes as well as an almost grassy bitterness that coats the tongue well.
M- This one coats the tongue pretty well. I get it on all parts of the tongue and it really leaves a great lingering bitterness.
O- Overall Ruthless Rye from Sierra Nevada is a great addition to their seasonal line up. It conjures up some great flavors and scents that remind me of some of my favorite IPA's, while it has a kicked up spice profile from the rye that makes it just this side of mysterious.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A- Beautiful copper/amber/orange body with 2 fingers of heavy white foam and very active carbonation flying around. Lacing is solid and the head hangs out.

S- the peppery, spicy, bready character comes out with some citrusy hop notes and some yeast but it's faint. the overall aroma is pungent and inviting.

T- total herbal hops. it's floral yet spicy and mean. it's very cool. challenging, in a good way. you get a bit of that rye malt when the hop bomb fades.

M- very hard carbonation bite on the tongue. it's dry, medium bodied, and clean.

O- holy cow. this is ruthless rye 2013. it's spicy, hoppy, bitter, complex, and everything that makes the american IPA a neverending adventure in beer. I'll keep this around for brewing sessions. Skol.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

super awesome dark golden color with a creamy, off-white topping which is still hanging around. without light shining through it directly, it is a dark apple juice color.
not getting much smell but my sniffer is a little locked up with the pre-spring heat we're having today. but there definitely isn't much on the nose. taste is peppery and rye-like, indeed. an edgy bitterness and slightly dry. some citrus but I like the rye in this one compared to other rye brews. no carbonation to speak of and medium feel to it. very nice. probably one of my more favorite sierra Nevada offerings....

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a deep copper color, alomst russet in fact, with a two inch cream colored head that slowly reduces with tons of sticky lacing.

Has a fragrant smell, with pear, vanilla, malt,and citrus. Despite its dark look, it has a very light and crisp smell, with a hint of creaminess underneath.

Starts with a crisp grassy bitter bite, with creamy malt, dry rye, and a bare hint of citrus before finishing with plenty of hop bitter. As I get further into the beer, it is a bit like a hoppy creamsicle, with the citrus becoming more pronounced.

Medium bodied, this beer manages to have both a creamy mouth feel that nonetheless leaves your tongue feeling dry, but never tacky.

A very nice brew, one that, quality-wise, I'd stack up against SN's Bigfoot or Torpedo for the title of SN's best 12 oz brew they put out. A definite one to try if you can.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a lightly hazy burnt orange color. The tall, densely frothy head has a light orange tint. Retention is very nice, and some sticky splotches of lacing cling to the glass immediately.

S: Some light caramel, with moderate bready/crusty notes. Rye definitely adds some breadiness to the aroma. Hop aromas are vibrant, with citric, spicy, and grassy notes. Faintly fruity and lightly earthy notes also open up after a few minutes.

T: Bready, toasty malt flavors up front, with some mild caramel sweetness. Hop bitterness is firm. Bright hop flavors of grapefruit and orange oil, with some lesser spicy and grassy character. A soft earthiness is present in an otherwise clean finish.

M: Very pleasant mouthfeel. A touch firmer than medium in body. Carbonation is supple and tingly. Hop bitterness gradually builds into a dry finish.

D: Not that there was ever any doubt, but this is a really nice rye IPA from Sierra Nevada. In many ways, it's similar to its other IPAs (which are excellent), but the rye does add a nice bready dimension to this beer. To my palate, rye really fits well with hoppy American styles. It's great to see it becoming more popular.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.