2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,998 | Reviews: 1,026 | Show All Ratings:
shcufj

Vermont

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to tall tulip glass.

A: Deep copper, light amber color. Solid, white effervescent head, dissipated quickly. some lacing

S: Strong hop aroma, with floral and very slight citrus hints. I also picked up some peppery notes on the nose

T: Nicely balanced malty, hoppy, and rye flavors. Finish was a peppery hoppy flavor, with the hops diminishing first

M: Medium bodied and crisp mouth feel, adequate if not slightly over carbonated.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. The rye coupled with an already very nice IPA created a nice drinking experience. Overall, I highly recommend this beer and will probably always have a few in the fridge.

01-21-2012 02:19:13 | More by shcufj
TheMultiYeast

Pours a clear amber/orange with a big white head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Smells like fresh citrus fruit peel, mainly grapefruit. Some bready, musty rye and interesting sourness.

Taste is also very citrusy with lots of bitterness. Rye comes through in pungent yet welcomed tang. Not much sweetness or backbone to speak of.

Fairly light body with biting carbonation. Finishes a bit dry.

Pretty good overall. Decent release from SN.

01-21-2012 01:36:08 | More by TheMultiYeast
CaptDavyJones

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a crystal clear deep dark copper color from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV on the label.
Towering head from a not-so-aggressive pour that dissipated very, very slowly.
Aroma was just a little malty when the head was around. Once the head subsided the hop and spicy rye aroma kicked in. Pine, citrus notes blending very well with spicy rye notes.
Taste compliments the aroma very well. The spice from the rye hits the palate straight up on the tongue. In the middle the hop bitterness takes over all the way to the finish. The bitterness in the finish doesn't linger around too much though. Very well balanced and easy to drink brew. The rye definitely makes its presence felt. Not sure if I would call it "ruthless" though, it is definitely a solid and robust beer, but ruthless ? Not sure about that. Very good lacing around the insides of the glass.
Overall, a very drinkable and tasty beer from Sierra Nevada.
Definitely worth a try.

01-21-2012 00:54:19 | More by CaptDavyJones
aorloski

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance - This one pours a very dark orange lingering on a nice brown hue with a very tiny head. Not a lot of lacing or alcohol legs. Color is great but a little weirded out about how little of a head mine poured.

Smell - Spice right up front followed by that classic columbus hop sierra nevada profile.

Taste - I was expecting a little more IPA than rye beer in this one but it may be the other way around for me. Its a great tasting beer, the spice is right up front wrapped up in nice pacific hops with a hint of a maltyness which brings it all together. Dont come looking for tropical fruits or extreme pine in this one, rather a hoppy beer with a spiciness.

Mouthfeel - Very crisp and leaves a nice sugary aftertaste in my mouth.

Overall - A good, not great beer. I really enjoy it and glad i picked up a 12 pack and easily would do it again, i love sierra nevada.

01-20-2012 23:58:15 | More by aorloski
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from bottle into tulip. Pours a golden brown color with a brown hue. Thick off-white foam.
Smells fantastic! At first its just hops, but on second smell, its more complex. I smell a large amount of oakey vanilla and a maybe bourbon. Everyone keeps talking about the spice or pepper; but I just dont smell it or taste it - (ok, maybe a slight amount in the finish)
Taste is very mild. I was expecting a bit more by the great aroma. But its still very good and not overpowering. Taste is of hops, and a bit of malts. That oakey vanilla returns for a split second and finishes with the rye.
Overall, this brew is super smooth and mild, but has a really nice flavour. Worth a try for sure.

01-20-2012 23:51:09 | More by DrinkSlurm
jsanford

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Excited about this new SN release. 12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a clear, dark copper with a dense, creamy ivory head that settles to a thick cap and leaves lots of spotty lacing. Sierra Nevada always makes the prettiest beer!
S - Mmm...big, pungent hop aromas of pine resin, grapefruit, and tangerine with a spicy, earthy rye malt backbone.
T - Very smooth-tasting, with a decent amount of American hops (lots of grapefruit and pine resin) and a moderately sweet and spicy rye malt profile that lingers on the palate for some time. This isn't as hoppy as I expected from the nose, reminds me a bit of SN Pale Ale with rye added. Not a bad thing at all, but perhaps I was expecting a touch more.
M - Smooth and very slick, slightly oily mouthfeel. Medium-bodied overall, with below-average carbonation.
O - A solid addition to the Sierra Nevada lineup, I'll look forward to drinking much of this.

01-20-2012 23:30:25 | More by jsanford
BeerFiend2002

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A- Copper body with a frothy off-white one and a half finger head.

S- Grapefruit, pine, and a pepperiness from the rye. Smells great.

T- Nice. I get the grapefruit up front followed by the pininess from the vintage SN cascade hops. The rye gives it a spicy, peppery taste. Only a tad of bitterness from the hops. Good stuff.

M- Medium-bodied. It goes down smooth and has a bit of a slick feel to it.

O- Im not huge into the rye beers as some, but this is good. Its not as good as the Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye, but I would drink this and the Founders Red's Rye PA again. Sierra Nevada knows how to make good beers...another winner by them.

01-20-2012 21:34:24 | More by BeerFiend2002
PEIhop

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%

The clarity of this beer was astonishing, and with its copper-orange color, it was truly eye pleasing. The one-finger head was very bubbly leaving excellent lacing and a thin film along the outside of the glass.
The nose of this beer is very earthy. A grassiness resonates throughout the smell with a subtle citrus backbone. The addition of rye provides a spiciness that is quite pleasant and aromatic. Underneath the rye and hop character a sweet malt backbone creates a well-balanced aroma.
The taste profile is quite short and somewhat uneventful. There was a burst of grassy hops along with the spiciness of the rye, which was excellent, but this mouth party almost immediately ended with a very dry finish. I was hoping for the rye to play a greater role in the taste profile, but it was overpowered by the hops.
The mouthfeel was quite light, and coupled with minimal carbonation, was somewhat disappointing.
This a good beer, but not a great beer. I wanted it to excel in every way, but it just measured up to other rye beers out there.

01-20-2012 20:39:02 | More by PEIhop
adsomers

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Clear deep amber color. Thick rocky head. Minimal carbonation.

S - Not bursting forth with hop aromas as I usually find in a west coast IPA, including those with rye. It's a welcome departure, as the earthy grain aromas are very nice to contemplate. However I detect a bit of sulphur or something that reminds me of an old tavern smell, if that makes any sense.

T - I think the rye really comes out in this beer with a richness I've only experienced in Rugbrød from The Bruery. Has a deep bready, earthy, and slightly spicy quality that I just can't get enough of. This is balanced by plenty of bitterness and citrusy hop character.

M - The low carbonation brings malty character to the foreground and weighs down the mouthfeel a bit, and this is a good thing!

D - 6.6 Abv makes this a two-pinter, or a great. It's very tasty, digestible, and easy to drink. Score SN!

01-20-2012 19:14:36 | More by adsomers
sethstout

3.85/5  rDev -1%

I had this beer on two occasions. First from the tap and the second from the bottle, both poured into a pint glass. Both serving types yielded the same experience, so I appreciate the consistency of the brew. It can be enjoyed at home or at a bar equally.

The appearances of both tap and bottle was that of a light colored coffee, a light brown though nothing dark. There was a nice thick head that clung to the sides of the glass while sipping away. The head was a cream color that made the appearance that more eloquent.

Just from the smell you do not need to read the label to tell it is an IPA. The aroma of the beer is a pretty good indicator of what the taste will be.

The taste is definitely grainy, earthy, and definitely an IPA beer. The rye adds a unique and longing taste that I can only compare to a whisky. I had to take a double take and make sure I didn't grab some Evan Williams or Jim Beam and pour it in there. It is a beautiful taste. Though it is just beautiful on account that it reminded me whisky and not on account of its own uniqueness.

The mouth feel is nice and subtle. Besides the hoppiness, there is no overbearing lingering sensations.

As a RYE IPA, it definitely delivers. This brew is great addition to any hop lovers or those whisky drinkers who are looking for a robust beer.

01-20-2012 16:44:03 | More by sethstout
BeerLover99

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

A: dirty orange/shiny, light head,
solid lacing

S: grapefruit, big rye, hint of spices

T: grapefruit, pine, big rye malt, nice bitter
oily/sticky finish

M: med, light oily/sticky mouth

O: WOW! Another nice SN; this
brewery is hit or miss for me.
I would love to have this around
often. Not over the top but still
has plenty to offer. Glad I grabbed
12 pack.

VERY GOOD, GET SOME!

01-20-2012 16:27:50 | More by BeerLover99
JimKal

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a pint glass. Poured dark amber with a large light tan head.

Had a light citric hob odor with a hint of spice.

To me, the big hop flavor that I like in an IPA was not present. Again, there was a slight spice note.

The mouthfeel was light as well.

I was looking forward to this Rye IPA from SN. Don't get me worn, this is not a poor IPA but it doesn't stand up to other widely available IPAs. I followed this one with a Sweetwater IPA just to confirm my impressions. I would go with Sweetwater any day. The rest of the sixes is in the fridge and will be enjoyed but I won't go for a repeat.

01-20-2012 13:29:32 | More by JimKal
secondtooth

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Deep and clear golden amber, with a luxurious, majestic head of foam. Thick and pronounced lace, too. Score high marks on appearance.

Nose is spicy rye and tangy citrus hops.

The flavor profile is nicely balanced, with a well-integrated mix of citrus hops and chewy, spicy rye. An unusual combination, but this works beautifully. This is one I may have to purchase again!

01-20-2012 05:25:11 | More by secondtooth
StoutHunter

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye IPA last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. This is the newest arrival to Sierra Nevada's lineup, I have been meaning to check out some more Rye Beer's, so I decided to pick this new beer up so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a short brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it is pretty nice looking and detailed, this is fancier looking then their other labels and so far it's my favorite one. It poured a nice reddish amber color that looked much brighter when held to the light and it was fairly clear with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and it left some nice laving. This is one damn good looking beer.

S- The first thing that I notice about the aroma was the rye, the aroma is very rye forward with a low amount of medium sweetness and it imparts those typical spicy rye aromas. After that comes the hops which are a mixture between floral and citrus aromas that add some nice balance and compliment the spicy rye aroma. There was also a weird burnt plastic smell that I think may have come from the rye, I don't love it, but I don't hate. The aroma of this beer is all about the rye and hops, it's nice.

T- Wow this beer sure is heavy on the rye, I guess they don't call it Ruthless Rye for no reason. It starts off with loads of spicy rye that has a low amount of sweetness and imparts all those spicy rye flavor that you would expect from a Rye Beer. There is also a pretty big amount of hops to help balance out all that rye, the hops were a nice 50/50 mixture of floral and citrus hops, I thought that that mixture paired well with the spicy rye. It had a low amount of medium bitterness and it had a very rye dominate aftertaste with a little bit of bitter floral hops. This was a pretty good tasting Rye Beer that had enough hops to keep all that rye in check.

M- Kind of smooth, slightly dry, medium bodied and it had a high amount of medium carbonation. All the aspects of the mouthfeel worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought that this was a good Rye Beer and it lives up to being labeled as a Rye IPA. This beer was heavy on the rye but it also had a lot of hops and I thought that added great balance and it helped draw some attention away from all that rye. I thought this beer had slightly above average drinkability, I might be down to have another one but after that I think the pretty intense flavors would start to wear on me. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much everything, to me this beer was firing on all cylinders. What I liked least about this beer was that weird burnt plastic aroma, it wasn't that bad but it seemed like the only thing that was slightly out of place in this beer. I will for sure buy this beer again but to me this is a one a night kind of beer so a twelve pack may be too much, but I think a six pack would be just enough. If you are a Rye Beer fan I highly recommend this beer, but if you are a big IPA fan you may find the rye a little too dominating. This beer was a nice surprise from Sierra Nevada, there wasn't much hype surrounding this new release, but that may have been a good thing since highly hyped beers go within a day or two in my neck of the woods. The only other Rye Beer I have reviewed was Rich's Rye from Short's and I liked this beer much more, the hops complimented the Rye much more then it did in Rich's Rye, so this makes Ruthless Rye my favorite Rye Beer to date, good job Sierra Nevada this was one good Rye Beer is a welcomed addition to their solid lineup.

01-20-2012 04:50:18 | More by StoutHunter
stephenjmoore

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

A- Light amber body with a pale tan head that lingers.

S- Traditional Sierra Nevada hop profile on the nose, with somewhat of a bread/grain scent as well.

T- Piney hops come through with a bread like taste mixed in. Earthy taste is prominent.

M- Low carbonation which is somewhat surprising. Crisp and clean like most Sierra Nevada ales, with some stickiness after each sip.

O- I believe this is my first rye based beer and it is a noticeable difference. The word "earthy" seemed to be used a lot in other reviews, but it definitely is dead on. Essentially a different take on their pale ale and torpedo, Ruthless is a solid beer but may be slightly polarizing with the rye flavor.

01-20-2012 04:23:56 | More by stephenjmoore
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

I had no idea this beer even existed until I saw one of the sexiest full-page beer ads ever in a recent Beeradvocate magazine; I’ve been drooling ever since. I love rye, I love IPAs, and I love Sierra Nevada – this beer has everything going for it already. Here’s to high hopes!

Brewed a little more than a month ago – the batch code, once deciphered, tells that it was packaged on December 16, 2011.

A: Holy hell, what a head! Starting as an off-white tower of smooth bubbles, it slowly retreats to a mix of eggshell cream (so viscous it could pass as pudding) and thick, sudsy lacing. Damn. And that’s not to say that the body doesn’t catch the eye, because it certainly does; its burnt, sunset orange hue is constantly gleaming. It’s a dark, yet eye-catching look – just like the label.

S: Ah, this is what I’ve been waiting for from Sierra Nevada: that distinctive house hop scent, sharp and almost sweet in its floweriness, mixed with deep rye spice. The malt aromas are just as bready as in Celebration, but with that sweet pumpernickel allure. Tart berries, grape jam, must/leather, and lemon-pepper are also interspersed throughout. Excellent nose – the rye/hop profile is very satisfying.

T: There’s those big ol’ hop oils I knew these guys would be throwing down; it’s tangy lemon-lime bitterness as soon as soon as it hits your tongue. Fruit syrup, clean caramel malts…you think you know how this beer is going to unfold if you’ve ever had a Torpedo. This time, though, there’s an undertone of – wait for it – rye. Not strong (like Founders Red’s Rye), not evenly spiced (like Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye), but subtle. I don’t mean subtle in a bad way – believe me, on its worst sips this tastes like a SN Pale Ale – but sometimes the ruthlessness is unnoticeable. I can taste a bit more pumpernickel in the aftertaste, but it’s quickly obscured by other yeasty breads and light Sierra Nevada hops. Smooth, yes, and very drinkable.

M: Like I said: oily with the resin of a fistful of hops. Unlike other SN beers, the astringency of hops doesn’t fully register; instead, it’s a momentary dryness without many lasting effects. It might just be the bread flavors, but it’s awfully chewy at times, too. Nothing intriguing, really.

O: This is a flavorful, well-balanced beer, but the rye flavor was subdued. Other than that, it drank like a mild session beer with added character. I know what Sierra Nevada can do with IPAs, and this is a great testament to that spirit.

01-20-2012 03:37:38 | More by BarryMFBurton
bfields4

Colorado

Nice golden body. Big white lacy head.

Big blasts of rye light citrus lemon and grassy hop aroma. Sweet bready malt backbone provides a good bit of depth.

The rye hits right off big and bold. Caramel malt and a grassy hop finish round this beer off nicely.

I'm a sucker for rye, and this one has an abundance of it. The other flavors play a second fiddle and provide for balance which is all I really need. Medium bodied nice mouthfeel. I really enjoy this beer. A good addition to the sierra line up.

01-20-2012 03:32:16 | More by bfields4
chimaylvr

Rhode Island

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

A: deep orange almost mahogany but not quite 'bock-like'; wonderful, thin and continuous lacing throughout which compliments the exceptional mouthfeel

S: rush of piney resin; underlying rye aroma balances hop aroma. Just a quietly pleasant smell

T: as I'm drinking I enjoy a whiff of that aroma to accent that mildly bitter hop note. Reminiscent of that woody, scotch taste.

M: excellent level of carbonation, sneaky maltiness; if it were more complex this # would be higher

O: While I like certain elements very much, there's just that elusive spot-on, unmistakable home run that, well, Chimay (blue) or La Fin Du Monde provide for its style. That being said, this is an above average beer. No, its bona fide.

01-20-2012 03:30:28 | More by chimaylvr
gustogasmic

3.93/5  rDev +1%

A- Reddish amber. A thin white head shows up and sticks in the lacing. Lots of bubbles coming up through the brew.

S- The citrus is detectable, but there are bizarre plasticy, burned notes. Maybe the roasty burned smells are coming from the rye? A misleading smell.

T- Tons of rye, tons of hops, nice and floral. More citrusy than any RIPA I've encountered, lots of lemon peel going on here. A little malt in the flavor, too.

M- Lovely! The maltiness of the beer causes it to froth up right away in your mouth, getting it all over and thus hitting many taste regions. It's thick, and the rye stays on your tongue long after a sip.

O- I have been really into RIPAs lately, and this beer is an essential try for any rye-heads and IPA freaks in general. Why?

Malt Character! You will rarely find an IPA with this malt presence, with a very full mouthfeel and insane lacing. It goes very well with the Rye PA style... the roasted earthy flavors that rye gives serve to bring it into some territory that stouts and browns typically occupy. These are malty types, so I think that this might be what makes a malty IPA click- the rye. A delicious, almost sessionable RIPA

01-20-2012 02:56:13 | More by gustogasmic
jsprain1

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Bronze colored with a thin off white head but it lasts well. A fair amount of lacing.
S- Really pleasant aroma. Peppery, earthy, leafy, grassy, with some citrus. All around quite nice.
T- Good flavor but far less hoppy than the aroma. Peppery flavor (likely from the rye), with a light bit of citrus in the finish.
M- Light, fairly clean, leaves a bit of a lingering texture in the mouth.
O- A tasty well rounded beer. The nose is great and everything else is pretty well done.

01-20-2012 02:13:21 | More by jsprain1
timtim

District of Columbia

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

pours a reddish amber with an off-white head that holds and leaves rings of very pretty lace. nose is flowery whole-cone hops that smell to me like lemon flowers (if there was such a thing), a touch of rye and a hint of caramel. can't get over how real, pretty and lemony/citrusy the hop character is. taste is just what the nose led me to believe. citrusy hops with a bit of peppery rye flavor riding on a backbone of soft caramel. very well balanced and nicely done. medium body that isn't sweet and had no abd aftertastes, just maybe wished it was a tad drier. overall, another very very fine, accessible brew from sierra nevada.

01-20-2012 01:24:12 | More by timtim
oline73

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear reddish amber color with a finger and a half of fluffy off white head. As the head fades, it leaves some nice lacing as well as a solid layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Some bready malt with a lot of rye spice and a citrus peel hop presence.

Taste: More assertive than the smell. Definitely getting the rye up front. Once you're used to the rye, the citrus peel hops show up. The finish is bitter, but there is a nice malt presence to balance things out.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

Overall: This is a really good rye beer. The spice, hops, and malt work together very well. I hope they continue to make this beer. I would definitely have more.

01-20-2012 00:55:33 | More by oline73
AmericanGothic

Iowa

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Peace Tree pint.

A: Pours a clear, orange-copper color with 1/2 finger of off-white head. Some retention and lace, nice carbonation.

S: Citrus hops and rye malt.

T: Dry and bitter up front, rye comes through at the start. Fairly dry throughout with a malty rye finish. No sweetness at all.

M: Light, well carbonated and a bit astringent.

O: This is a tasty beer and I have no complaints, other than wishing there had been a little more to the head. One of the driest rye beers I have had. Definitely worth a try.

01-20-2012 00:54:20 | More by AmericanGothic
Aiptasia

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed in a pint glass.

A: It pours beautifully. Perfect pour against the side of the pint yielded an impressive 2" rich tan foam head with beautiful sparkling ruby red body. Effervescence bubbling up in a beautiful constellation of rye lust.

S: Smells wonderful. Freshly mowed lawn and rye bread with a grapefruit rind smackity smack.

T: Seriously hoppy. This is a young beer in the bottle and can use a little conditioning. Was hoping for more malt, but the hops give the rye a beat down and noogies until it screams uncle. I'm going to wait another month and see how it tastes then.

M: Medium bodied, assertively carbonated. Alcohol is a non-factor.

O: Overly hoppy, needs a little bottle aging to be enjoyable. I like Rye Squared by Terrapin better.

01-20-2012 00:33:47 | More by Aiptasia
TenHornsProud

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a light, crystal-clear amber with a bit white head that lingers and laces.

Smells of some spicy hop character, rye/bready/cracker character, small sweet caramel character. Nice nose but not overwhelming.

Taste is up front cracker/rye/pretzel with some small pine/fruit notes that fade into a bitter rye/bread character that ends on a bitter and more floral/pine (chinook?) hop note that lasts. Really nice flavor that greatly shows off the rye character. **Strong black pepper character comes through as it warms.

Lighter body with lower carbonation work well...alcohol well hidden.

An excellent rye-forward beer that has plenty of hop bitterness/pine/spice to make it interesting the whole time. Well done, which is not surprising, as it is SN.

01-20-2012 00:15:08 | More by TenHornsProud
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.