Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011

Ratings: 4,872 | Reviews: 1,095
4.42/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured a nice caramel color out of a bottle. It had great head retention and the lacing went down the whole glass.

S - This is a nice spicy beer. It had notes of rye, grapefruit, and caramel.

T - Great mouthful feeling with a full taste. The rye is noticeable and backed up with grapefruit hops.

M - Great consistency.

O - Great beer highly recommend

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a brilliant deep copper amber, with a very persistent tawny head.

The aroma is amazing, with a big spicy peppery, woody, grapefruit and piney nose that mingles with a distinct graham cracker rye bread aroma. It is basically clean, with no objectionable phenols or other esters that distract.

This beer is all about the hops, from the crisp bitter sip. There is a brief splash of bready malt before the hops take over in earnest. Once they do, this beer becomes a bitter, piney crisp drink, with a long lingering spicy peppery rye and hop finish.

The mouthfeel is big, creamy, and almost fluffy. The carbonation is moderate at best and is not at all spritzy.

This is a spicy, hoppy beer. The spicy, peppery notes of the rye accentuate and multiply the hops. I dont get a lot of citrus in this sample, but the pepper and spice more than make up for it. The relatively big mouthfeel helps counter the aggressive hop bite.

This is an aggressive but tasty and approachable beer. I am buying another sixer of it as soon as I see it.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a weak < 1 finger head, that miraculously grew to about a two finger head in about 120 sec. Appearance, a rich, filtered, mahogany, not unlike a heavy red ale.

Aroma rather unpleasing: A spicy almost (hate to say it) feline-like odor. It must by the emphasis on rye which I guess I am not quite used to.

Taste,an initial bombardment of bitter spice hops and eclectic malts. Better than the aroma, but I still get that feeling of a nearby cat. Not like anything I have ever encountered in a brew before. The rye must be what is different to me and I have to admit - despite my colorful description - I find it somewhat pleasing. Very different. A light lingering bitter hop burning sensation brings this home as an IPA about six seconds after the initial taste.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a slight oily after-feel.

Drinkibility: The alcohol is upfront and in your face; seems more than 6.8%.

Overall, this is an interesting IPA. I like the daring ingredients. Risk takers deserve some credit for ingenuity. It won't be among my favorites but I would be willing to try it again. Just slightly above average overall. Perhaps it will grow on me as I move through the six pack but I have a funny feeling many reviewers have "brewery goggles" on this one - let's face it, if this was brewed by some rinky-dink Rhode Island brewery, well, you know what I am thinking...

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into strait pint glass. Dark reddish brown with an orange glow. Awesome nose, lots of spice and rye. Taste has an admirable balance, not too bitter, the raw rye flavor shines through, a bit of sourness, cranberry. What a solid, drinkable brew. Not harsh, smooth, incredibly drinkable

3.66/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A- not much head, but what's there provides great lacing.

S- heavy on west coast hops and rye. hints of caramel

M- odd texture. a little too carbonated, but it is somewhat dense and chewy.

T- very spicy right away with plenty of rye malt and cascade hops. the alcohol sneaks in during the initial bitter bite. ends a little on the sweeter side with some caramel malt. hops oil lingers on the back of the tongue in the end, and some biscuit malts get mixed in as well.

O- no risks seem to have been taken, but it's still a good offering.

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer - in my opinion, a very straightforward Rye IPA but Sierra hit the nail on the head.

A - dark orange copper, frothy head of over half inch
S - crisp and hoppy - not getting a lot of smell but it could be that I don't have the right glass for this beer (just a standard pint glass - our craft beer glass is in the dishwasher....)
T- earthy, gritty, subtle hops with a great showcasing of rye. Perfectly carbonated with a danky moss aftertaste
M- medium body but the carbonation makes it feel lighter, grittiness that is appealing and also adds to the rye flavor.

Overall very drinkable and exceptional to pair with a hunstman cheese

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

The appearance is golden with slight copper. Very clear. Head is very white, frothy and stays throughout. Nice

The aroma is pleasing. Pine accents with a sweet rye aroma. nothing very strong.

Taste is bitterness up front with peppery rye afterward. Finishes with a hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is good. Highly carbonated and a dry finish.

Overall, this is a very good, balanced Rye IPA. One of my favorite styles and this is a very good example. Will buy again.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A:. Pours a deep amber color with a decent creamy white head. Heavy lacing sticks to the glass and stays around. Nice looking beer

S: The Spicey rye is is upfront and in your face, followed by earthy hops and a bit of citrus.

T: Dominate peppery taste followed by a faint pine bite.

M: Nice and creamy up front followed by a smooth rye aftertaste. Nice carbonation as well.

D: Quite drinkable, though they could have toned down the peppery flavor to allow the hops to really come through more. Not to different from Sierra Nevada's other hoppy brews.

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip

A: Poured an amber color that was very clear with a fluffy white head that leaves a very nice lacing behind.

S: A strong hop presences with a little bit of the rye behind it. Very hoppy presences though!

T: Very hoppy taste to it, almost like candy! Then the rye hits you with a bitter finish

M: Carbonation was medium to little very good in my opinion, bitter with a mild alcohol feel to it

O: Very good beer, definitly one I will have again and highly recommend like all Sierra offerings

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have never heard of this beer and cant find any info on it. I am really suprised and excited about this new release from SN.

It pours a really pretty sunset amber with almost no head lingering. As I smell the beer the first thing I notice is how crisp the hop smell is, lots of zesty citrus aromas with a similar to sprite aroma. I love the hop combination on this beer, not sure what the hops are but they are great. The rye is a great spicy backround note and lends a nice fresh loaf of bread note. The mouthfeel is the classic sierra nevada mouthfeel, chewy but not long lasting on the bitterness. Overall I really like this beer, it is crisp and clean while still intriguing to the palate. Cheers.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

A burnt reddish rye in the glass; standard head and lacing throughout.

Not gonna lie... let down by this one. The main impression is a muddied ale heavy in sierra nevada taste "factory taste"; a SNPA that is rather muddied and thick amongst heavier hoppage. The rye flavor does not come through spicy as it should or distinct... thought it would be a favorite since I love rye-ales, the bitterness and lack of hop flavor does not appease the IPA desire.

All in all, still it IS Sierra Nevada, so its drinkable and not rubbish, but this could have and should have been a winner.

3.71/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

S - Pungent and spicy with bready malts.

A - Crystal clear deep reddish-amber with a two-inch, fluffy, off-white head. Sticky, thick lacing.

T - Spicy and peppery right from the start. Earthy, herbal bitterness combines with pepper and spicy flavor (whether from hops or rye, presumably both). Biscuity and toasty malt backbone. The spicy, earthy bitterness lingers on the palate. Little alcohol present.

M - Medium carbonation. Moderate body. No alcohol warming. Pepper and spice produce a pleasant bite on the tongue.

O - A quality rye IPA. Nothing spectacular but certainly representative of the characteristics of rye beers with no flaws to speak of. Definitely very drinkable, but maybe a little undeserving of the name "Ruthless." Still I'd recommend.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

A: Poured into a mug, gives a nice off white 2.5 finger head. Color is amber.

S: Spicy hops and some biscuit followed by spicy rye

T: Follows the nose but in a little more complexity. Spicy hops up front: piney and floral. Biscuity in the middle. Ends up with some flowery and bitter hops and then a big rye presence at the end. Not overpowering though, really nice compliment to what is going on.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a nice and dry finish.

O: Really nice example of a rye beer. I've only had a few but this is a style that has always impressed me. Really nice to drink.

3.93/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased at my local Wal-Mart (Tampa, FL). Sixer for $8.47.

A- Silky dark, golden pour. Appears more like a heavily carbonated lager, than a pale ale. I like it.

A- I'm actually getting, what I assume to be, is rye in the aroma. Also getting some sweet malts and perhaps even a touch of caramel.

F- Very abrupt flavor explosion of malty-rye bitterness up front. Very potent for only being 6.6%, but exits the palate very cleanly. Not overly-complex flavoring profile, but definitely lives up to it's name.

M- Not a beer you want to linger on the palate, as it is quite bitter, but no complaints here.

O- I really like what this beer is trying to do. Too many IPAs these days are trying to appeal to the mass consumer, with their fruity/citrusy/floral overtones (don't get me wrong, I love me some ApriHop on occasion), but sometimes I want my IPA to feel like an IPA, one that goes well with a cigar, and puts some hair on your chest. And that's what this beer does.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

A dollar a bottle at the pharmacy, couldn't resist a cheap Sierra Seasonal.

Deep red with a decent head that stuck around for a minute or two. Little bit of lace on the glass which is always nice.

Smells like peppery grapefruit. Breads and hops mixing together nicely.

Taste is exceptional for me, since I'm not the biggest rye beer fan. Nicely hoppy, slightly bitter and a great aftertaste. I can't smell or taste any alcohol at all, which is interesting since it's 6.6%.

Feels great, you'll like this if you enjoy hops but don't like the bitterness sticking around in the back of your throat for too long.

Another good mass beer from Sierra Nevada, give it a try if you see it at a decent price.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Pours with a nice dense one finger, white head. The beer is a nice clear reddish copper color with amber highlights. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass even those on the side I am drinking from. Great overall appearance.

S: Earthy, spice. Citrus peel with some rind. A bit of pine. A little toast or biscuit. Maybe some grapefruit juice. None of these aromas are intense but are in a good balance.

T: Grapefruit and a hint of caramel at the front of the palate. Followed by a resin feeling from piney hops. A lingering bitterness comes next. The spiciness from the rye appears in the finish. The finish is of medium length and doesn't linger anymore then it should.

M: Medium mouthfeel. The betaglucans from the rye increased the body making this not a light feeling beer. It works well with the rest of the beer.

O: A great drinkable beer. It doesn't have as much rye as some of the other Rye IPAs and it uses the traditional Sierra Nevada hops that have made their beers famous. Its a very dependable beer from a very dependable company. I would recommend this beer to anyone. Especially those wanting another good IPA that isn't hard to find.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

First Review.
12 oz. bottle to 14 oz. mug.

A: Clear, coppery red with plenty of carbonation. Short, off-white head. Bottle design is epic.

S: Smells like Rye bread, pine cones and a touch of hops.

T: The hoppiness you would expect from a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with a good mix of rye and orange, Mild rye spice aftertaste.

Overall: This beer is incredible for the $11.50/12 pk. The design on the bottle, the Sierra Nevada name, the price, and the fact this was right in the entryway made this the easiest trip to the liquor store ever.

4.28/5  rDev +10%

A - This beer pours with a reddish orange color with nice carbonation cascading from the bottom up. The foam is about 1" thick and is creamy looking. The foam dissaptes to a thin foam but but does not dissappear completely and the "legs" of foam remain on the glass with every taste.

S - Scents of hops, citrus, and some grain.

T - Nice hops, with grapefuit, and some hints of grains and nuts. The taste is nice and clean and leaves a nice bitter hop finish.

M - A nice beer with no heaviness but just clean hop flavor.

O - I like this beer and I believe it will be well received in the brew pubs and stores all over. I am glad I came across this beer because this 12 pack was the last of this beer in the store.

3.46/5  rDev -11.1%

Picked this up at Table and Vine today. Broke up a 6er because I didn't want to buy the whole thing...probably paid too much for it, but oh well. Bottled December 16 of last year, so just over a month old. Poured into my Delirium tulip.

A: Light mahogany. Small white head. Very clear. An attractive beer.

S: Not as clean. Picking up the rye and some spice. Little in the way of hops.

T: More hops than in the smell thankfully. Picking up more of the spice that was in the nose. Earthy and bready aftertaste.

M: Decent carbonation. Smooth and sessionable, especially if I liked this beer more. One of the better parts of the beer.

O: Having faith in Sierra Nevada, I had high expectations for this beer. It wasn't as good as I had hoped, but I wouldn't turn it down if I had the opportunity to drink it again.

3.69/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4 way IPA pack. I like the malt profile of this brew. Rye has slight spiciness and drying effect. Hops are more balanced. Ordinary brew from an
extraordinary brewery

4.63/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sierra Nevada leads the craft brew industry, not because of popularity ...because of they're delivery! This is the best rye beer I have ever had, I find rye beers to be an acquired taste, they have a funky bite to them, and until now I did not see how they could be balanced well enough to be properly enjoyed.

Great bronze color, nice rye taste ....(more like a pumpernickel taste ) roasted caramel tones, and what you would expect from Sierra Nevada hop profile ....bold but well balanced.

This is a must try beer if you have not done so.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

A: deep orange almost mahogany but not quite 'bock-like'; wonderful, thin and continuous lacing throughout which compliments the exceptional mouthfeel

S: rush of piney resin; underlying rye aroma balances hop aroma. Just a quietly pleasant smell

T: as I'm drinking I enjoy a whiff of that aroma to accent that mildly bitter hop note. Reminiscent of that woody, scotch taste.

M: excellent level of carbonation, sneaky maltiness; if it were more complex this # would be higher

O: While I like certain elements very much, there's just that elusive spot-on, unmistakable home run that, well, Chimay (blue) or La Fin Du Monde provide for its style. That being said, this is an above average beer. No, its bona fide.

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Deep, transparent orange. Really cool to look it. One finger head and beautiful lacing all the way down.

S: Rye bread, piney, citrusy

T: Similar to the smell. Rye, pine, pepper. Bitter in the end.

M: Very crisp but dry. A bit chewy.

Overall: I love this beer. SN's winter and spring seasonal brews are amazing

light smooth, slight hops, sweet linger.

Shared a taster on-tap as part of four flights at the brewery; Sierra Nevada Brewing Co, Chico, USA. Then ordered a half pint later. Yum! As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. I rate to taste, not to style. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com

4.85/5  rDev +24.7%

I had this beer out of a bottle and poured it into a glass. I have to say I was stunned when I had it. It has a great smell that has a nutty smell to it. You can smell the aroma hops at work. The taste is definitely strong and reminiscent of an IPA, but it has a strong rye favor. I can taste some spice in the beer, but over arching I can taste a pleasant conflict of orange and rye. It seems like such a simple blend, but definitely crafted perfectly. It has a smooth feel and leaves a strong sweet after taste. I would definitely suggest this beer anytime, and a good beer to give to friends.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.