Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Added by kaseydad on 12-29-2011

Reviews: 1,112 | Ratings: 5,031
4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured brownish amber. Slight murkiness and moderate carbonation. Foamy tan head that leaves a soapy ring and good lacing.

Aroma: Crisp rye notes and very light citrus hops. Clean.

Taste: Rye malt crispness, with a smooth citrus hop that rides throught the finish. Hops flavor and bitterness, but leaves a clean taste.

Mouth: Slightly dry with nice carbonation.

Overall: It's easy to take Sierra Nevada for granted in favor of the latest and greatest, but they just keep making excellent beers.

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer is a solid introductory Rye IPA. It would never be mistaken for an aggressive double IPA. A nice introduction for those new to the Rye influence. It has the darker amber color of the rye and a nice balance of hops. The aroma doesn't trumpet and the mouthfeel doesn't sting. The rye provides the nice deep character that I've now come to expect from rye beers. I've decided I definitely like RYE beers. I haven't disliked a single beer with the word 'RYE' on the label. RYE has a robust, earthy bitterness that I favor whereas WHEAT [beers] on the other hand...has always gone the other way with off-sweet or sour notes.

AROMA: Not as aggressive or as sharp as most IPA's. Very fresh floral scent.
HEAD: 3 Finger head fading to thin; loose lacing - reminiscent of plumbers' pants
FLAVOR: Deep grain earth with floral accents - with a coffee edge

A very nice beer and I love these Ryes!

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Reddish amber. A thin white head shows up and sticks in the lacing. Lots of bubbles coming up through the brew.

S- The citrus is detectable, but there are bizarre plasticy, burned notes. Maybe the roasty burned smells are coming from the rye? A misleading smell.

T- Tons of rye, tons of hops, nice and floral. More citrusy than any RIPA I've encountered, lots of lemon peel going on here. A little malt in the flavor, too.

M- Lovely! The maltiness of the beer causes it to froth up right away in your mouth, getting it all over and thus hitting many taste regions. It's thick, and the rye stays on your tongue long after a sip.

O- I have been really into RIPAs lately, and this beer is an essential try for any rye-heads and IPA freaks in general. Why?

Malt Character! You will rarely find an IPA with this malt presence, with a very full mouthfeel and insane lacing. It goes very well with the Rye PA style... the roasted earthy flavors that rye gives serve to bring it into some territory that stouts and browns typically occupy. These are malty types, so I think that this might be what makes a malty IPA click- the rye. A delicious, almost sessionable RIPA

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance
Deep- yet clear amber color tinted copper, medium-think head, good lacing
Smell
Pine and hops. Rye, malts and a hint of alcohol
Taste
Delicious, the bitterness kicks in, its raw and aggressive feeling but not overly so. There’s a complex blend of flavors the malt, rye, hops which makes for a really good beer
Overall
I first picked this up because, well- the package looks kick ass. I had never seen it before and they only had it by the 12 pack, so of course I bought it. Once I had my first one I was hooked and went right back out to buy another case, fearing it would be too late if I waited. I definitely recommend this, I always enjoy it.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a deep maroon golden hue with a white foamy head that dissipates after a couple of minutes.

I get a big citrus pineapple, orange beginning of the nose and then some hops, spice, breads/wheatiness/rye.

This beer has a medium bodied mouthfeel that starts off sharp and crisp -hops, rye, pineapple, orange-that immediately leads way to a more bitter hoppiness, then finishes off slightly sweet and malty with a blast of rye and hops and some yeast and bread. Nice brew with a dry finish. Good balance and smoothness.

Cheers!

Purchased a single if this IPA, since IPAs do scare me a bit with their bitterness.

Red amber colored, clear, with a thick creamy head that takes a while to dissipate. Smell is a rather inviting peppery spicy smell. Taste is of grass and pepper and spice. Quite nice. Not so bitter that i can't drink it, which is my fear with an IPA.

Maybe its the peppery taste of the rye, but the forward flavor of the hops seems to be in balance with the other flavors of this beer. I find that i'm actually enjoying an IPA. I'm glad i tried this, and i will get more.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

clear and amber with little carbonation bubbles, the head was thick with very small tight foam, just slightly off-white.

smells very strong of rye and hops.

rye spiciness followed by a hoppy bitterness with just a touch of alcohol in the finish, despite the strong flavor it was very refreshing on a warm day.

hoppy bitterness lingers on the pallet, a very clean refreshing beer, not too carbonated or syrupy thick.

A great beer for summer, was delicious with a plate of pulled pork BBQ. clean, light and grassy with a distinct flavor of rye.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Fresh-from-the-honeycomb hue that deceives the eye into thinking what sits before it is a Double IPA with a malty backbone. Not the case, I'm sure. Steady unifinger head that leaves ample lacing, if you're into that.

Distinct floral notes of a traditional fresh IPA, and something elese, a "peppery" aroma that I wouldn't have known as such had it not been mentioned in previous reviews. Upon reflection, it describes the smell accurately. Minimal citrus notes to speak of, at least ones that can be discerned to the exact fruit from which they are derived.

No malt. I like that a lot. Do they even add malts to this beer, or does the rye act as a pseudomalt? A question for some research, or maybe just for the birds. Nice hop bite. No alcohol taste to speak of, but a cold, metallic aftetaste (that I strangely don't mind--even enjoy). Refreshing. A bit harsh. The taste of this beer is much better than I'd expected. I just miss an element of fruitiness. Lulz.

I will finish this sixer tonight. I guess that isn't the most huge of feats, but it's something. Reasons being: A-I'm in college; B-This beer goes down as smoothly as any I've ever had. Blessing and curse.

Like I (may have) said, a nice surprise. Not that I didn't expect a great showing from SN--they're, for my money, tops. It's just that I rarely (read: never) f*x with rye beers, so I guess I just didn't known what to expect. But as long as this baby's fresh, I'll keep buying her.

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

So, I normally love Ruthless. As far as I'm concerned this is a brilliant addition to the SN lineup, and a classic in its own right. In the cask, however, I LOVE this IPA! I had it at Bierkraft in Brooklyn, and was simply blown away by everything from the appearance to the taste. The light carbonation enhanced the malt flavors, and boosted the mouthfeel giving this Ruthless a bigger presence. Amazing.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A:. Pours a deep amber color with a decent creamy white head. Heavy lacing sticks to the glass and stays around. Nice looking beer

S: The Spicey rye is is upfront and in your face, followed by earthy hops and a bit of citrus.

T: Dominate peppery taste followed by a faint pine bite.

M: Nice and creamy up front followed by a smooth rye aftertaste. Nice carbonation as well.

D: Quite drinkable, though they could have toned down the peppery flavor to allow the hops to really come through more. Not to different from Sierra Nevada's other hoppy brews.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Nice ruby appearance with a lacy head that doesn't stick around too long. Rich aroma full of earthy hops with a little bit of the rye that comes through the hops, very nice. Complex in taste, lots of hops that battle around with the rye in a good way. Lots of earthy hop notes that take over and don't let the rye flavors through as much as I'd like. A little on the thin side and doesn't last for too long. Overall really good, nice addition by SN.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

I really enjoy this beer. the only other Rye ale I've had is Hop Rod which I also like but have not seen in ages.

It's a coppery light brown with a nice head and an orange cast if held to light. There is a hint of rye in the smell but not as much as in the taste; a pleasant clean hop aroma is more pronounced. It tastes amazingly like a slice of good rye bread. If you like rye and american pale ales you can't go wrong with this beer. I would warn that if you're not a fan of rye you probably won't like this. It's a great beer with food but eminently drinkable on its own.

Overall, I give it very high marks but, again, it's probably not for everyone.

A: Poured from a bottle into a chilled glass. Medium Caramel color with a hint of orange. Half a pinky head that dissipated quickly.

S: Grain, spice, hops smell. Lets me know it is going to be dry

T: Good Full taste. Dry as expected, with nice background of malts. A touch of citrus & sweetness to balance out the bitterness.

M: Medium amount of dryness, with medium-high amount of bitterness. Would have never guessed the 6.6 ABV off taste, it is well hidden.

O: Great rye tones and an excellent American IPA's if you want some boldness without being overwhelmed by too much hops and bitterness. Good balance of flavor for a combination of having to pace myself while drinking & still being very drinkable.

4.19/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Copper color, maybe reddish copper; head minimal and off white. Nose, a balanced hops blend, calm floral notes over some toasty maltiness. Taste: this is nicely balanced between hops and malts. Grows smoothly; the multiple malts and hops involved are so nicely balanced. Mouthfeel quite creamy for the style, also grows and subsides smoothly. For an IPA with the word "ruthless" in the name, this is so smooth & balanced. The hops are obvious yet somehow are never overwhelming. Given that the rye is significant to the identity of this beer, its unique aspects are nicely blended with the other ingredients & flavors. Well done.

Bottle poured into a nonic glass.

4.43/5  rDev +13%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a coppery color with a cream colored head about half an inch high. Nice retention and gorgeous patchy lacing make this one a looker.

S - The first thing I notice isn't rye, but pine resin and citrus zest. Rye is further back, pleasantly fruity and prickly.

T - The rye is much more noticeable in the flavor, but not to be understated is a certain bready malt quality. Very bitter, intimidating hop character, but I love that kind of stuff.

M - Sorta dry, very fine carb.

O - I think I may have found a new favorite from Sierra Nevada.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Served on tap and into a pint glass.
Apperance-amber color, medium carbonation, 2 finger head.
Smell-notes of bread, pine, spice, citrus.
Taste-hit with the rye first, bread and spice, pepper, almost tasted like really good rye toast, then a nice hop finish a mixture of more pine than citrus but both present.
Mouthfeel-nice, slightly spicy with the rye.
Overall-whenever a rye beer is on a beer list, I gravitate towards it, I like this beer and will seek it out again, real drinability, with the quality I have come to expect from a SN, very simalar to their pale ale but with the rye flavor coming through.

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Awesome clarity and color. Rich golden orange. Good 1 finger head that faded slowly and left light lacing.

S: Lots of aromas coming off of this ale. Mostly hoppy with a little citurs and some hints of rye.

T: It through me off at first that there wasn't more rye, I was expecting and hoping for a little more rye but after learning this is categorized as an APA I was able to clean my slate and drink this with an open mind. Great beer, good balance. taste pretty much like there Pale ale with a little bit more going on.

M: Not bad. decent carbonation, does have a pretty harsh after taste/feel.

O: I think this beer is pretty good, I dunno if I would buy it again but if you like their pale ale and want to branch out this would be a good starting point. Also would be a great beer to slowly get into rye.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz Bottle

A: Crystal clear amber color. Filtered.

S: First you get a nice wiff of citrus and hops on the nose. Slight hint of pine on the backside.

T: Off dry from the start. Nice ballance of citrus and hop from front to back. On the back end you get a slight hint of pine.

M: Nice carbonation. Strong finish to the beer. Slight hint of alcohol. Off dry.

O: I believe Sierra Nevada really dosen't make any bad beers and this is just another example of that. Great Beer

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into New Belgium snifter

pours a really nice deep amber color... off white 1 finger head. lots of bubbles coming up from the carbonation. awesome lacing.

smells nice and sweet, a bit of citrusy hops coming thru. caramel and bready malts. not a big pungent smell though

really good taste. nice balance b/t the hops and malt, and the light peppery spice from the rye flavor pulls thru really nicely.

mouthfeel is a little bitter, medium bodied; nice amount of carbonation.

overall I'm really liking this rye IPA... about to have 3 or 4 more and watch the brady/tebow bowl tonight :) super easy to drink for sure. similar to the "rye hopper" I tried from french broad a few weeks ago, but not as sweet... both excellent brews though. this is priced very reasonably here in NC ($8.99 for a 6er). I'll definitely buy this one again. well done Sierra.

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- THis beer puors with a nice, deep amber body with a crisp line of white head that leaves somewhat quickly

S- Lots of spice a pepper on the nose with a big burst of hop aroma

T- Just like the nose, lots of robust pepper. This has a earthy taste as well coming from the rye grains and a clean, somewhat smooth hope finish on the end.

M- Crazy mouthfeel on this is one! It's medium bodied and ver tingly which lasts as long as it's in your mouth.

O- Totally love this beer. I liked it last year and it just keeps getting better. Wonderful taste. Fairly sessionable. Fantastic IPA.

Serving Type: 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

The appearance is golden with slight copper. Very clear. Head is very white, frothy and stays throughout. Nice

The aroma is pleasing. Pine accents with a sweet rye aroma. nothing very strong.

Taste is bitterness up front with peppery rye afterward. Finishes with a hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is good. Highly carbonated and a dry finish.

Overall, this is a very good, balanced Rye IPA. One of my favorite styles and this is a very good example. Will buy again.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great amber color and beautiful floral hoppy nose. Spicy blend of hops well balanced and full bodied. Great lingering finish and clean. The rye adds a great addition to the flavor profile and a nice change from a wide range of IPA's available in the market. This is a great win from the folks at Sierra Nevada.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured a nice caramel color out of a bottle. It had great head retention and the lacing went down the whole glass.

S - This is a nice spicy beer. It had notes of rye, grapefruit, and caramel.

T - Great mouthful feeling with a full taste. The rye is noticeable and backed up with grapefruit hops.

M - Great consistency.

O - Great beer highly recommend

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a brilliant deep copper amber, with a very persistent tawny head.

The aroma is amazing, with a big spicy peppery, woody, grapefruit and piney nose that mingles with a distinct graham cracker rye bread aroma. It is basically clean, with no objectionable phenols or other esters that distract.

This beer is all about the hops, from the crisp bitter sip. There is a brief splash of bready malt before the hops take over in earnest. Once they do, this beer becomes a bitter, piney crisp drink, with a long lingering spicy peppery rye and hop finish.

The mouthfeel is big, creamy, and almost fluffy. The carbonation is moderate at best and is not at all spritzy.

This is a spicy, hoppy beer. The spicy, peppery notes of the rye accentuate and multiply the hops. I dont get a lot of citrus in this sample, but the pepper and spice more than make up for it. The relatively big mouthfeel helps counter the aggressive hop bite.

This is an aggressive but tasty and approachable beer. I am buying another sixer of it as soon as I see it.

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a weak < 1 finger head, that miraculously grew to about a two finger head in about 120 sec. Appearance, a rich, filtered, mahogany, not unlike a heavy red ale.

Aroma rather unpleasing: A spicy almost (hate to say it) feline-like odor. It must by the emphasis on rye which I guess I am not quite used to.

Taste,an initial bombardment of bitter spice hops and eclectic malts. Better than the aroma, but I still get that feeling of a nearby cat. Not like anything I have ever encountered in a brew before. The rye must be what is different to me and I have to admit - despite my colorful description - I find it somewhat pleasing. Very different. A light lingering bitter hop burning sensation brings this home as an IPA about six seconds after the initial taste.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a slight oily after-feel.

Drinkibility: The alcohol is upfront and in your face; seems more than 6.8%.

Overall, this is an interesting IPA. I like the daring ingredients. Risk takers deserve some credit for ingenuity. It won't be among my favorites but I would be willing to try it again. Just slightly above average overall. Perhaps it will grow on me as I move through the six pack but I have a funny feeling many reviewers have "brewery goggles" on this one - let's face it, if this was brewed by some rinky-dink Rhode Island brewery, well, you know what I am thinking...

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.