Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Added by kaseydad on 12-29-2011

Reviews: 1,112 | Ratings: 5,033
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - A deep copper/amber color with a strong and lasting head.

S - Citrus with some malt in the background.

T - Citrus, mostly grapefruit with a good malt finish.

M - Rich with good carbonation and a nice medium finish.

O - I was expecting more sharpness due to the rye but it was balanced out perfectly resulting in just a great IPA. At under 8 bucks a six pack at my Walmart this is a "best buy" for sure that I will be stocking up on.

the list is bold but basically this beer is so great only Kal-El would drink it. Where Kal-El is from is another story like the story of rye being infused into the malt of this singing brewed IPA, the Winston racer at the finish line, is that Messi with his fly eyes? I mean, this beer.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured brownish amber. Slight murkiness and moderate carbonation. Foamy tan head that leaves a soapy ring and good lacing.

Aroma: Crisp rye notes and very light citrus hops. Clean.

Taste: Rye malt crispness, with a smooth citrus hop that rides throught the finish. Hops flavor and bitterness, but leaves a clean taste.

Mouth: Slightly dry with nice carbonation.

Overall: It's easy to take Sierra Nevada for granted in favor of the latest and greatest, but they just keep making excellent beers.

3.41/5  rDev -13%

Appearance-
Golden orange with a finger white head that has some staying power.

Smell-
I am underwhelmed by the smell. The malt is that special kind of rich that Sierra Nevada has with its beers, but the hops and the rye are faint.

Taste-
Starts with the aforementioned malt, and then transforms into a sweet hop that ends pleasantly bitter. Really have to seek out the rye towards the end.

Mouthfeel-
Nothing special.

Overall-
Not a bad beer, just forgettable.

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful beer. Vegetal, complex and perfectly balanced. Brewing with so much Rye is a challenge but Sierra has pulled it off.

This is not a session beer, but a work of art. To me, it evoked memories of a late summer's day spent outdoors, helping in the fields.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer comes in a clear very dark reddish amber with a fluffy white head.

The aroma has grapefruit, sweet citrus, bright herbal and piney hops. There’s a sweet bready malt in there as well.

The flavor follows of spicy and herbal hops. There’s a note of grapefruit and citrus combined with a light sweet bready malt. The finish continues on of pine and notes of pepper from the rye.

The mouthfeel is medium.

The beer is well balanced with a good amount of American hops with a light pepper spice.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

super awesome dark golden color with a creamy, off-white topping which is still hanging around. without light shining through it directly, it is a dark apple juice color.
not getting much smell but my sniffer is a little locked up with the pre-spring heat we're having today. but there definitely isn't much on the nose. taste is peppery and rye-like, indeed. an edgy bitterness and slightly dry. some citrus but I like the rye in this one compared to other rye brews. no carbonation to speak of and medium feel to it. very nice. probably one of my more favorite sierra Nevada offerings....

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

This is one of my few experiences with Rye IPAs as this is my first springtime in the beer world, and they're typically spring seasonals.

Served in a boring pint glass poured from a bottle. 2014 seasonal.

Appearance- Reddish Amber. Fairly Transparent, with very little to no haze. The color is mostly to attribute to the little light not getting throught. Carbonation bubbles slowly rise. About 1 finger of white head that quickly dissipates. Mild to moderate lacing holds to the glass.

Smell- Very floral hops. Fresh, light citrus, mellow earthiness. Smells like springtime.

Taste- Fresh floral hops with light bitterness. Very balanced by the rye. Taste is very consistent with the smell. A nice touch of black pepper glides along the sides of the tongue. Finishes very smooth with lingering fruitiness. I like this a lot. It's a nice break from the winter hop bombs (that I love very much).

Mouthfeel- Light, Crisp, and Refreshing. Moderate carbonation. Very sessionable.

Overall- I like this a lot. It's very reminiscent of warm nights outside with friends, and makes me look forward to the transition into springtime. The pepperiness was the ultimate winning factor here though. It was the perfect amount, and makes the brew rememberable. Good job, Sierra Nevada, you don't disappoint.

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Medium-amber color with a modest-sized light beige head that slowly faded. Good looking IPA

Smell: Piney hop aromas feature prominently and dominate the nose. nice nose but fairly subdued.

Taste: The pine aromas carry over and feature in the taste. The finish ends moderately dry with some spicy rye notes and the pine notes from the nose.

Mouth-feel: On the light side of medium bodied with a modest level of carbonation. the rye definitely adds some fullness to the body that's not present in most IPAs

Overall: A Good IPA that, as typical for Sierra Nevada, is a good value.

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

Sierra N are always great tasting beers, and this is no exception.
Pours a deep orange with brown highlights, with a tight white head that leaves a ring of lacing.

Smell is pungent citrus and pine, with hints of dark fruit and bread. The rye is detectable I believe.

Taste is unique with malty bready notes throughout and a strong hop kick that leaves you wanting another sip. It's like a mix of brown sugar, rye, and citrus.

Feel is decent, I don't think I would want it more carbonated but it's on the thinner side.

This one met my expectations as usual so try it if you haven't.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Clear orange with some brown tones. The head starts two finger thick and laces nicely.

S- Very rich aroma. It's spicy, earthy, woody, with caramel undertones. There's just something very clean about the aroma.

T- It starts off thick and slightly sweet before transitioning into spicy, peppery, and bitter. The beer leaves a clean feeling in your mouth. There is a little graininess and dryness from the rye, but it's not overpowering. It's an extremely well balanced rye beer. This is one of my favorite rye beers I've had yet.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The rye also adds some sharpness.

O- Very delicious and well balanced.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle #3 in my Trader Joe's surprise pack. I think this is the one I have been most excited for thus far!

A-The bottle rocks, fields, farms, and a female grim reaper!?

S-Tasty rye IPA smell mmm!

T-Has a delicious taste that is very hoppy.

M-Full flavored IPA

O-I would buy this beer again and again...deliciouso!

2.79/5  rDev -28.8%

IPA? Not Really? RyePA -Yes. Not my favorite Sierra Nevada entry but if your a fan of putting rye in beer??? Then you will love this with pastrami. What is your next spice Sierra? coriander? Stick with what you do best - seasonal entries. Not sure I would buy this one. If you are into rye this is your guy.

4.35/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the first Rye beer I've tried I think.. But so far so good.

A- considering it's in a bottle and I'm not gonna pour it out just to see it, this makes a this part a little difficult. But... I did pour just a sliver into a glass and it had a nice copper color.

S- the smell was good but there wasn't a lot there. I'm sure if I had a glass I would've enjoyed the smell more. But from what I did pick up, I could tell it was going to be a stronger first taste than I thought.

T- the first taste was spicy (if that's how you use that term). Definitely a little kick. Once that taste starts to leave you get hit simultaneously with a bitter orangey flavor that is just amazing.

M- once I was able to give my mouth a tour, it was just dieing for more! All of the flavors work well together.

O- so far, Sierra Nevada hasn't let me down. This is definitely a very great brew. I would have no problems buying a six pack or suggesting this to friends and family.

4.56/5  rDev +16.3%

This is what I expect from a Rye IPA, but sweet in the Sierra Nevada tradition.

Beautiful copper color, smell is a bit subdued but the flavor is exactly what I could want.

Sharp spicy bitterness starts and then develops into piney citrus hops with a bitter backbone. Delicious.

I have been trying quite a few IPA's lately and although many of them are seriously great beers, I know I can always count on Sierra Nevada to give me what I am looking for. I am a huge Torpedo fan and I must say that I find the Ruthless Rye to be right up there with it and could definitely drink gallon after gallon of this stuff and be quite content, without the need to look elsewhere. Now, in my book, that is an excellent beer !!

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from the two bottles into a monstrous Ball jar with a huge mouth

A: Clear deep brown/orange with a hint of rouge. Huge, rocky 4 finger head that settles to a slender girls pinky. Some lacing falls from the top down, some carbonation wells up from the depths of the glass.

S: Sierra Nevada yeast is buried behind that huge spicy malty rye nose. There's that slight skunky hop, like a pale Euro, that peeks around the malt. Peppery, hint-o-lemon.

T: This is gorgeous. The experience is so different with heavy rye brews, since the heat and spice comes from the rye and dominates all gentle components. But, when that initial rye spike subsides, a cascade of bitters and floral notes rushes in like a tsunami, backed up with a citrus hop note.

M: Smooth and spritely and then puckery sweet/spicy/sourness at the very edges. Creamy carbo hit with a medium body.

O: When this comes to town, better believe I'll grab a 6'er. So good, I love rye anything and this does not disappoint.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Amazing Rye IPA! The color, smell, look...all say drink me. And then you do, greatness. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Perfect head that last most way throughout drinking, along with nice white bubble lacing. Great beer all around. Cheers! Side note, an odd but amazing food pairing is a nice cinnamon roll!

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2014 vintage Bottle code 3351204 33 at 40 degrees into pint glass
Aroma light citrus
Head large (6.5 cm), white, creamy with a few large bubbles, slowly diminishing
Lacing good
Body light orange, clear
Flavor light citrus and spicey from the rye. Short lived. No alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate medium, on the dry side, soft carbonation

A pleasant rye IPA, easy drinking

4.01/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Packaged (12/12/13) Poured into a tulip glass, a medium red crimson colour, plentiful head, and tons of lacing, outstanding looking. 4.25
S – lightly acidic, some caramel, black pepper, lemony citrus, some licorice, lemongrass, interesting funkiness and spice. The rye really takes it into unfamiliar territory but the ipa character is there with some piney and citrusy hops. 4
T – a complex malt bill is evident by the range of flavours going on here, lots of spicy rye character, mixing with spicy hops, initial touch of sweetness then goes to lots of fruity notes, lemon, orange, biscuit, pepper. A bit of sourness but the bitterness from the (cascade I assume) really helps keep this balanced. Not an overly hoppy IPA but some nice grapefruit mixed with the pepper goes quite well.
M – creamy and balanced, moderate body and fair amount of carbonation, lots of malty notes and a fair peppery feel, tart dryness on the finish keeps it light and refreshing.
--- Smell develops really nicely, taste is smooth, with complex rye spiciness, I took awhile to warm to this, the acidity initially is quite dominant, but it really lives up to the typical SN complexity, balance and depth. A lot of thought went into this and it shows well. Worth trying out, good showcase of the rye malt here. Refreshing as well as intriguing, one of the better rye beers i can remember having. Tart and spicy on the nose, flavourful and balanced body with a strong malt base, again more spicy than bitter, with a good finish to tie it together.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Copper color with a good tannish white head. Citrus pepper smell. So flavorful and yummy. Citrus with some pepper like the smell with a good malt backbone. Medium full carbonation on and medium full body. Gives a little tingle. Overall this beer is fantastic, love it! Spiced up Amber citrus ipa is the best way to describe it.

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%

I was surprised by this beer. While I really like IPAs, I've never had a rye IPA that I've really liked. And, I'm not a big Sierra Nevada fan. But, this beer challenged both of those beliefs.

After having this beer in a bar, I bought a six pack and have been enjoying it at home. The smell is a bit coppery, but the beer itself tastes great--a hoppy, balanced, bread-like taste that is easy to drink and truly enjoyable. It's not the best beer that I've ever had--by far--but it is a solid beer that I'd seek out and have again.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Cloudy copper with thick lacy head this beer looks great. There's a faint smell of fresh baked bread on the nose so what's not to like there? Full bodied taste for the style there is just enough nuance to keep things interesting. The tug of war between malt / rye "breadiness" and hops is a draw. There is a bit of an aftertaste, but it's not unpleasant. This is an easy drinker and I could go for a couple more. Mouthfeel is spot on....creamy and rich. I picked this up as a single in a "build your own six pack" store and I'm wishing I would have grabbed a full 6 of these. Another good one from SN....not great, but VERY solid!

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Crystal clear dark amber. Nice head with light lacing.
Smell: As expected hops dominate, but taper to a sweet smell of citrus and spice.
Taste: various combinations of malt, hops and spice are most noticeable. Hints of fruit and citrus enter. Rye is not too overpowering, but noticeable in the background.
Mouth: dry feeling with long lasting aftertaste. Good carbonation.
Overall: Good beer I'll look froward to during the season is available.
- Bottled/home tasting.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a balloon glass.

The beer is a deep semi-clear copper color. A sea-foam cream colored head sits on too and doesn't want to recede. Nice webby lacing.

The aroma is both citric and fruity. Some spicy cedar-like woodiness as well.

The beer tastes like it smells. A nice spicy, woody rye body in the beginning. Some citrus rinds blend with faint tropical sweetness afterwards, with a bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy, medium weight.

Overall, I hesitated to buy this. As usual, Sierra Nevada made a great beer in this.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.