Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011)

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle pours a deep amber with great head and lacing. Aroma is citrus and pine with sharp rye malt. Taste is lemon, grapefruit, and grass hops, and peppery rye (kind of salty as well). Medium body with dry finish. Very happy to have this new seasonal from Sierra Nevada.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a golden brown color with two frothy creamy fingers of foam. Smell is hoppy and grassy with a hint if spice.

Tastes of those classic Sierra Nevada hops, mixed with pepper and of course rye. Complex flavor that needs to be sipped on awhile to figure out. Faily easy drinking ipa/rye brew. Very enjoyable.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

I first tasted the Ruthless Rye IPA in my home poured from a bottle into a freezing pint glass, good pour, head about a inch thick. I wasn't sure what to expect from this Rye IPA, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was hoppy, and got a smell and taste of Citrus, which in my opinion was a great blend. I've recently drank SN Torpedo and Celebration Ale, which I loved both and wasn't disappointed by the Ruthless Rye Ale at all. Excellent brew, I recommend strongly. I do think it tastes better from a cold(or very cold) pint glass.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours an effervescent copper with 3+ fingers of cream colored head. Fantastic head retention & lacing

S: Lemony & grapefruitty hops, a kiss of breadyness & peppery notes

T: Peppery rye, grapefruit, slight grainyness up front. Dryness, caramel, grainy bitterness & a touch of grapefruit as this warms, Finishes a little peppery, citrusssy & with a dry/crisp rye

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation, good blance

I enjoyed this, but I thinks Red's Rye is more to my taste, plus more drinkable

4.5/5  rDev +16%

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

As a fan of the SR lineup and a fan of Rye IPA's - see BR Hop Red Rye - {as well as reuban sandwiches} was anxious to dive in

A: Reddish, orange, full head, nice lacing. Good start.

S: Smells of Rye, cane sugar, grapefruit. So far so good.

T: Bit of a letdown. The Rye is overpowering, not subtle, and left unbalanced. Biscuity and some sourness, not the crispness I like from IPA's. A hint of hops on the finish

M: Dense, sour

Good, not great. Maybe I like my rye in subtle doses.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Times bar in Raleigh NC
Appearence perfect
Smell devine. It reminds me of a good gin. You know how it is supposed to smell like. Hops devine is what I get in the nose once my 10 oz was poured. Taste is good. Little darker taste than a run of the mill IPA. It I a good stand alone beer but not a session beer. Sometimes higher Alc content beers still lend themselves to sessions or simply as I feel a desire for more. One is godd enough. But I usually want another SN Pale Ale

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a standard pint glass

A: Pours a copper to brick red color, mostly clear, large amounts of frothy head that stays around for awhile
S: Mild aroma of citrusy hops, nothing much else
T: Piney hops right off the bat, followed by a decent helping of caramel-like malts, as well as a hint of the distinctive rye flavor
M: Definitely thick, resiny, lingers in the mouth for some time
O: I enjoyed this one, seems a little lighter on the hoppy bitterness than some of the other SN IPA's, but overall is excellent and would buy again

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Poured from the bottle into a nonic-style pint glass. Body is coppery-amber with a small ivory head that leaves behind good streaks of lacing.

S: I get the rye spiciness in the nose, along with piney or sprucey hops. A touch earthy.

T: Good stuff. Rye spice is again noted, pretty clearly and right away. Good malt profile - some caramel malt and toffee flavors provide a nice foundation. It's followed by that rye spiciness. It finishes with resiny pine and spruce that at times seems grassy. Earthy spiciness lingers in the aftertaste, which comes across as quite dry. Burps remind me of Celebration a little.

M: Medium in heft. Carbonation is modest, giving this a fairly creamy feel.

O: This is good stuff; it grew on me as I worked my way down the glass. I think I like Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye a little better, but for the price ($8.89 a sixer at Olivers), this is real solid. And I think the rye makes this an appropriate Spring offering.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Ruthless Rye pours a really attractive copper color. It’s very clear. Backlighting reveals some really nice crimson highlights. An off-white head caps it off. It stands about a finger and a half tall. Retention is pretty impressive. Lacing was a little sticky and moderate in volume.

The nose is pretty good. It seems a little lacking in strength, but is far from bad. A little caramel and toasted malts start things out. It smells a little sweet, but not overly so. It has a really nice spicy rye scent. Definitely smells peppery. It has an interesting earthy, grassy scent that’s attributable to the hops. There are some light citrus grapefruit notes, but they seem to be overpowered by the other hop scents. Alcohol is buried. Smells pretty good. Just needs a little more strength.

The flavor is good. I like it. It definitely has a caramel and toasted malt base. It’s not all that sweet, but there’s definitely a little caramel and toffee noted. A nice peppery, spicy rye flavor works well the malts. It’s quite prominent in flavor. I like that a lot. The hops are interesting. They seem to be a mix of grassy, earthy hops and, to a lesser extent, citric hops. There’s a hint of grapefruit, but it’s otherwise reminiscent of noble hops. It’s a tad bitter, but it’s not a palate wrecker. Alcohol is definitely light in the mix. Finishes spicy, grassy, and quite dry.

The body is on the lighter side of medium. Carbonation is active, but feels soft. It definitely has a nice feel and goes down easy. I could handle a few of these in a sitting.

Sierra Nevada did a nice job with Ruthless Rye IPA. It’s good stuff. I’m a fan of rye beer and this is definitely a good one. I think I would’ve preferred a stronger citrus hop presence, but it’s hard to find much fault. The focus is clearly on the rye and that’s not a bad thing at all. I like it. Easy recommendation.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured this one into my newly acquired Cigar City Brewing pint glass.
This is quite possibly the most gorgeous looking brew I've encountered in some time.
The two finger tan head sinks down to a respectable skim leaving some impressive lacing, and what it sinks down into is the most inviting copper and plum colored body one could imagine.
As far as the nose goes, you get a lot of citrus and pine one would expect from a West Coast IPA, but lurking not far behind is a earthy moist wood-chip aroma that demands attention and respect.
The rye is spicy, almost peppery and blends in well the the West Coast hops and mellow--low key caramel malt flavor. Lot's of good bite to this one.
The mouthfeel is close to perfect.
Overall this is a great example of a rye IPA. You cannot go wrong with this beer. Works great with spicy food. I just downed 3 with a bowl of Buffalo wings. A perfect pairing.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Pours a beautiful clear copper with three fingers of off-white head. Head has great retention and coats the glass in lacing.

S - Spicy rye and bitter citrus really stand out. Nice bread malt aroma as well.

T - Nice peppery rye up front, quickly followed by bitter grapefruit zest. Both tastes are quite prominent, but not overpowering in the least. Bread malts and a bit of sweeter citrus come in midway, with the finish being more bitter.

M - Medium mouthfeel is somewhat resiny and finishes with a lingering dry bitterness.

O - A very tasty beer, though I prefer Founders Red's Rye by a significant margin. Still, I would have this again.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a bottle at Euro Market. There's a huge spicy aroma with both cracked rye and herbal citrus hops. The flavor and body are a little too light, but there's a rich grapefruit taste that comes out in the finish over mild rye bread. While I want a little more malt, Sierra Nevada did a great job balancing the rye flavor so that it's highlighted, but not too strong. Not perfect, but a pretty great rye beer.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz bottle poured into my Dogfish glass. It poured a dark copper color with a huge, fluffy, off white colored head filling the top third of the glass. Great head retention and lacing as I drank it. Fantastic looking beer overall.

The aroma shows a lot of the spicy, bready, rye flavors. I get a pretty big bitter, resiny, citrus rind like hoppiness to it as well. In the finish it shows a little bit of a sweeter, malty, caramel flavor to it. Nice mix of hoppy and rye overall, I really liked how much the rye stands out in it.

The rye is what really stands out to me in the taste as well. It gives it a nice spicy, bready flavor throughout. I get more of a grapefruit and citrus rind bitterness to the hops in it. The rye compliments the hops well. The hoppiness does seem a little more reserved than I would have liked though.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a good beer that really showcased the rye flavors nicely. The hoppiness in it was good, but not outstanding. It was very drinkable and flavorful overall, and I really liked that the rye was a little bolder then most other Rye Ipa's. I really like rye flavors so this one worked pretty well for me.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.