Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle #3 in my Trader Joe's surprise pack. I think this is the one I have been most excited for thus far!

A-The bottle rocks, fields, farms, and a female grim reaper!?

S-Tasty rye IPA smell mmm!

T-Has a delicious taste that is very hoppy.

M-Full flavored IPA

O-I would buy this beer again and again...deliciouso!

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

2.8/5  rDev -27.8%

IPA? Not Really? RyePA -Yes. Not my favorite Sierra Nevada entry but if your a fan of putting rye in beer??? Then you will love this with pastrami. What is your next spice Sierra? coriander? Stick with what you do best - seasonal entries. Not sure I would buy this one. If you are into rye this is your guy.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the first Rye beer I've tried I think.. But so far so good.

A- considering it's in a bottle and I'm not gonna pour it out just to see it, this makes a this part a little difficult. But... I did pour just a sliver into a glass and it had a nice copper color.

S- the smell was good but there wasn't a lot there. I'm sure if I had a glass I would've enjoyed the smell more. But from what I did pick up, I could tell it was going to be a stronger first taste than I thought.

T- the first taste was spicy (if that's how you use that term). Definitely a little kick. Once that taste starts to leave you get hit simultaneously with a bitter orangey flavor that is just amazing.

M- once I was able to give my mouth a tour, it was just dieing for more! All of the flavors work well together.

O- so far, Sierra Nevada hasn't let me down. This is definitely a very great brew. I would have no problems buying a six pack or suggesting this to friends and family.

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%

This is what I expect from a Rye IPA, but sweet in the Sierra Nevada tradition.

Beautiful copper color, smell is a bit subdued but the flavor is exactly what I could want.

Sharp spicy bitterness starts and then develops into piney citrus hops with a bitter backbone. Delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

I have been trying quite a few IPA's lately and although many of them are seriously great beers, I know I can always count on Sierra Nevada to give me what I am looking for. I am a huge Torpedo fan and I must say that I find the Ruthless Rye to be right up there with it and could definitely drink gallon after gallon of this stuff and be quite content, without the need to look elsewhere. Now, in my book, that is an excellent beer !!

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the two bottles into a monstrous Ball jar with a huge mouth

A: Clear deep brown/orange with a hint of rouge. Huge, rocky 4 finger head that settles to a slender girls pinky. Some lacing falls from the top down, some carbonation wells up from the depths of the glass.

S: Sierra Nevada yeast is buried behind that huge spicy malty rye nose. There's that slight skunky hop, like a pale Euro, that peeks around the malt. Peppery, hint-o-lemon.

T: This is gorgeous. The experience is so different with heavy rye brews, since the heat and spice comes from the rye and dominates all gentle components. But, when that initial rye spike subsides, a cascade of bitters and floral notes rushes in like a tsunami, backed up with a citrus hop note.

M: Smooth and spritely and then puckery sweet/spicy/sourness at the very edges. Creamy carbo hit with a medium body.

O: When this comes to town, better believe I'll grab a 6'er. So good, I love rye anything and this does not disappoint.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.