Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011)

RWNay, Feb 02, 2013

KimenTshom, Feb 11, 2012

AudreyLOglesby, Feb 06, 2012

milesmayhem, Jan 03, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

A very clear amber. Really clear - like the lovechild of an amber and a West coast IPA. A lot of rye in the nose. Smells similarly to their Northern Harvest, but with some lighter pine undertones. You can catch some citrus on the top, as well. Hmm, this is interesting. Quite thick to start with no real identity. Then the rye, grain and bread notes explode and make it taste almost like an American lager. The pine notes push their way forward on the back end and try to substantiate the IPA claim. I'm not catching much citrus, just a lot of pine and rye. It's ok, but nothing I'd regularly drink.

Like it? It's OK

wrycon, Jan 21, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

APPEARANCE: Dark brown, almost a dirty, reddish-brown. A white and half-inch thick head tops it and hangs in fairly well. Lots of bubbles quickly shooting to the surface from the bottom of the glass. Excellent lacing.

SMELL: When I first stuck my nose in I got a lot more rye, but upon my second smell the roasted (and burnt) malt dominated. The roasted smell also gives it a coffee quality.

TASTE: Roasted malt and a rye breadiness dominate. I don't get much in terms of hops, maybe a touch of lemon and maybe grapefruit, but no pine or resin. The malt and rye remain at a fairly constant level throughout the sip.

MOUTHFEEL: The Ruthless has a pretty solid sparkle and it is clearly well carbonated. That said, it should cleanse the palate a little better than it does. Instead, there is a sticky, but dry film left that doesn't do much for me.

OVERALL: I love Sierra Nevada and maybe I am grading this one on an unfair curve because of the high bar they have already set for themselves, but I was excited about this one and I am finding myself underwhelmed. Maybe since this was the first year there is still room for improvement in the future.

StoneTSR, Mar 03, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a redish/ruby color with a foamy 2 finger head that quickly fades leaving some spotty lacing.

S - The rye is very prodominant... maybe too much. It almost has a rubbery smell, like a balloon. Interesting...

T/M - The rye isn't as overwhelming in the taste as it is in the smell, but it's definately there. I do think that it overpowers the hop profile of this IPA. Medium mouthfeel, light carbonation.

O - An interesting IPA to say the least. Sadly, I'm missing that hop profile that I so look forward to in a good IPA. Glad I tried it, but will not buy again.

Rizalini, Jan 25, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -25.8%

medium dark amber color with some lacing. Body is clear.
The nose is not as hoppy as i was expecting really, there is more spice notes and rye character then anything else going on.
The flavors taste more like a malty rye pale ale then an IPA, and this can not be old. Bready is a strong description, earthy hops, and rye spice.
mouthfeel is medium full with a low amount of carbonation.

I have to say, i was excited for this one, but it is probably one of my less favorite of the SN beers.

ChadQuest, Mar 02, 2012
2.86/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

The colour is amber-brown (25 EBC), the liquid clear. IT is darker than most IPAs. The two finger head slowly sinks down, leaving little lacing on the glass.

The smell is hoppy, but not very bitter. Rustic wood-like note sand caramel, some dried citric fruits and crisp bread. Some alcohol is present. It is bit raw and harsh, but in a good way.

The taste is bitter and not-that-sweet. Distinct notes of rye crispbread and fresh oak casks. Some mature, almost dried, citric notes. Tart notes in the background. Medium body. The aftertaste is rather raw and harsh. Malty flavours, somewhat sour. Medium bitterness with a harsh alcoholic edge. The finish is sweet with raw alcoholic notes.

The carbonation is mild, the many small bubbles are smooth and short-lived. The liquid is smooth.

Way too harsh for me.

bark, Jul 04, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Was excited to actually see this on the shelves, so I picked up a sixer right away. Pours a dark rust/ruby color with one finger head, which laces thinly and consistently. Aroma is all about the hops. It's well balanced and strangely familiar. I thought it smelled very similar to their Torpedo IPA, in terms of hops aroma: fresh cut grass, pungent, a bit of lemon. There's malt in there too; browned biscuit dominates the aroma. Malt & hops battle it out for aroma dominance. Who wins? (hops) Bitter caramel starts out the flavor department, turning to burnt chocolate/caramel and a woody flavor. Bitter malt turns to bitter hop oil flavor, noting that the hops are well balanced. There's a lingering familiar tart rye flavor in there as well. Feels a bit acidic but mainly balanced.

The aroma was great, but the flavor was ultimately too tart and feel too acidic. I can't see myself drinking more than one a night. There's just too much rye in there. It almost tastes like copper towards the end, and I'm not a huge fan of metallic tastes in my beer. This one coulda been a contender.

Philousa, Jan 07, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

A: Pours a nice white head leaving my glass laced and ready to be sipped
Has a light brown appearance with hints of Orange shining through.

S: Flat hoppy smell. Nothing to astonishing; but also not overbearing

T: So-So. I felt it had a nice smooth taste at first then ends flat. Not sure if that’s the Rye coming through.

M: Smooth and pleasant

O: I haven’t really experienced many of the Rye beers, but overall I thought this was a decent pick. Not my favorite, but I wouldn’t turn it down either.

HoppyHomo, Jan 25, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -27.8%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a transparent copper/orange color, with a thin, off-white head of 1.5 fingers. Retention is poor.

S - Lemongrass, citrus, and the overly used cascade/centennial hops nose overwhelm a caramel and crystal malt foundation. I don't pick up any rye in the nose. Mild to moderate strength.

T - Still no rye at all. Classic Sierra Nevada overuse of generic cascade hops. Light caramel is overpowered by lemon and grapefruit. It's imbalanced, and I can't get any hints of rye, even when I search for it. Suffers from simplicity.

M - Medium bodied, crisp, and a bit thick. It's alright, but there's not much going on anyway.

D - Another disappointment from SN. I find this one to be imbalanced, simple, and not one I'd have again. It's an average IPA at best, and I'm not sure what they were going for with the rye, but it's a miserable failure.

blakelive784, Jan 31, 2012
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.