Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011)
Rocketman8911

Colorado

01-27-2012 03:25:35 | More by moserine
lsummers

4.96/5  rDev +27.8%

Had this on tap and in a bottle for this review. Pours an amber honey orange. The attenuation is high on this one, as is the lacing. A nice offwhite two finger head lingers for a minute.

Smells of spicy pine with some barnyard and lemon/orange. Touch of herbal nature. Touch of pineapple/grapefruit.

Taste is so very well balanced. Piney hops and spicy rye hits with a bitter note upfront. Slight cereal note with a touch citrus pineapple. Very clean herbal peppery notes from the rye.

Mouthfeel is clean with some fizz bouncing off the tongue and smooth.

Overall, this is a definite go to for me. It's perfectly balanced yet diverse enough to still be interesting. I will continually seek out this rye ipa.

03-07-2013 06:43:48 | More by lsummers
naharah

4.93/5  rDev +27.1%

This is by far my favorite Rye I.P.A that I have tried so far. After I was pouring in into my pint glass the beer left a nice two inch head. My nose was lit up as I took in the inviting smell of spice, citrus and oh those hops. Every sip you are required to savor the taste and enjoy the carbonation as is glides down your throat. I hope that Sierra Nevada decides to make this beer year round, as I have been sending them letters asking so. If you have not tried this beer I would recommend it ANY time you see it! I am glad to have had the pleasure to enjoy such a well crafted beer.

06-03-2012 18:50:02 | More by naharah
Br0wnsfn31

4.93/5  rDev +27.1%

This is my first ever review.. and i wanted to review my favorite beer.. i have been drinking craft beer for about 5 years.. and this is the one i keep going back to and when January comes im waiting for this to come to my local store.. so here is my opinion about this beer..

A- Dark rust color.. a ton of bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass with about 2 fingers of head.. the head is off white thick and doesn't look too soapy; but it doesn't look like it is going to anticipate anytime soon

S- Citrus right off the bat.. Grapefruit.. with a hint of caramel and and black pepper.. very faint smell of chocolate there too.. very good aromas coming from this beer

T- first off i want to point off this is a very complex beer.. the taste differs in ever single sip.. which i love.. Citrus right off the bat then u get a touch of peppery taste with almost a brown ale back taste.. this really reminds me a combo of the torpedo and the tumbler.. with some natural spiciness.. its very well made..

M- makes my mouth happy.. not sure what mouthfeel is?

O- again this is my favorite beer.. i have had my share of beers.. but i always remember the first time i had this and my reaction.. Good job Sierra Nevada.. if you think this review is off or high.. that is ur opinion.. everyone has different taste buds.. but i urge you if you see this at a store.. pick it up and try it.. A+++

04-10-2014 00:01:55 | More by Br0wnsfn31
ThePortlander

4.9/5  rDev +26.3%

So, I normally love Ruthless. As far as I'm concerned this is a brilliant addition to the SN lineup, and a classic in its own right. In the cask, however, I LOVE this IPA! I had it at Bierkraft in Brooklyn, and was simply blown away by everything from the appearance to the taste. The light carbonation enhanced the malt flavors, and boosted the mouthfeel giving this Ruthless a bigger presence. Amazing.

04-05-2012 02:31:04 | More by ThePortlander
purdueracer

4.88/5  rDev +25.8%

This is an incredible beer. It has a unique flavor profile. It hits you hard with the hops and the rye. It finishes with a really nice dry aftertaste. It's a beer that you enjoy for a minute when you're done drinking. It is one of my favorite beers.

03-24-2013 05:35:02 | More by purdueracer
chiccabeer

4.88/5  rDev +25.8%

I had this beer out of a bottle and poured it into a glass. I have to say I was stunned when I had it. It has a great smell that has a nutty smell to it. You can smell the aroma hops at work. The taste is definitely strong and reminiscent of an IPA, but it has a strong rye favor. I can taste some spice in the beer, but over arching I can taste a pleasant conflict of orange and rye. It seems like such a simple blend, but definitely crafted perfectly. It has a smooth feel and leaves a strong sweet after taste. I would definitely suggest this beer anytime, and a good beer to give to friends.

03-07-2012 00:39:08 | More by chiccabeer
thebrood1987

4.85/5  rDev +25%

Smells very fruity and floral with a sharp grapefruit smell that I get from Sierra Nevada beers and Victory beers due to the whole cone hops both breweries use. I also get a bit of that bready rye smell as well.

It has a spicy bite up front then quickly turning into the rye bread spicy maltiness and then quickly turning to a sharp bitter piney citric bite. They use experimental hops in this one and you can tell its a different hop flavor than their Torpedo. This has more of piney resin taste to it. Its great though backed with that spicy malty rye.

Between the experimental hops they use in this beer, the malty rye bready taste and the spicyness from the rye and hops melding together makes this my favorite Sierra Nevada beer. Definitely too bad they don't have this as a year round beer.

02-08-2012 04:58:09 | More by thebrood1987
threeviews

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on date of February 3, 2012) into a 14oz Libbey Snifter...fresh, fresh, fresh!

A- Pours a clear, deep amber color with a 2-3 finger off-white, meringue head.

S- The aroma is pungent with rye spice & pine. As the head subsides and the beer warms (as well as swirl it in the glass), subtle orange and grapefruit notes reveal themselves. Despite a Citra presence in the dry hop bill, the Chinook and "Experimental Hops" dominate with spice and pine.

T- As you exhale, the rye dominates your senses but its (spicy) flavor is kept in check by the hops (grapefruit rind is secondary to the rye spice). It is so well balanced that your palate is left relatively unharmed and left with a lingering piney-ness reminiscent of Torpedo.

M- If familiar with their beers, it is classic Sierra Nevada. Moderate, soft carbonation that supports but never interferes with the flavors.

O- I could have easily given this brew 5's for all categories, as it is simply excellent. However, the Rye IPA style is somewhat of an acquired taste and I don't see it being overly sessionable. What's more, I would prefer a bit more citrus profile in the nose, as the rye and pine aromas tend to dominate. Although Torpedo and Celebration Ale reign supreme, Ruthless Rye is a worthwhile, tertiary offering.

All fans of IPA's and Sierra Nevada (Pale Ale & Torpedo) should not hesitate to pick this up while it's still available.

02-25-2012 21:07:52 | More by threeviews

05-29-2013 22:53:23 | More by Sethers
Lionhearted1987

Georgia

08-08-2014 19:50:14 | More by Lionhearted1987
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.