Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011)

Photo of
2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is my first rye IPA, it may grow on me (I hope it does I bought a 12 pack).
Apperance: Nice red clear color.
Smell: It must be the rye smell which I am not used to, but it smelled like it was skunked beer to me at first and I can't say I like the smell as times goes on.
Taste: Similar to the smell above, I don't have a taste for it yet and may never develop it (I will have to have a party to get rid of the 11 I have left?)
Mouthfeel: Not bad not too heavy, not too light.
Overall: This is my first 12 oz. bottle from a 12 pack. I have great respect for SN, but not sure this rye IPA is for me. I hope it grows on me.

2.6/5  rDev -33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 3.5

During this time of year (winter) there are a lot of heavy hitters, winter brews, double ipas and everything seems to be a bit overdone. i start longing for something that doesn't taste like malted brandy.

Finally, here is something that has its own unique flavor. This RyePA has a nice sea foam colored head and dark amber color. The foam quickly dissipates, however each time it lands on your tongue another blanket of foam is formed on it and it effervesces off of it.

It has that pepperiness of rye, but something different too. The malt swirls across your tongue and there is a heavy bitter finish that lingers in your mouth like their celebration's bitter, and it just keeps sitting there.

Easiest way to get rid of it is to have another mouthful and enjoy the wave of savory flavor that hits.

I think that it would go good with a jack, brick, asiago, pecorino romano or parmesean cheese, especially the jack or pecorino. I also think something sweet like figs, raisins or grapes might be good to wash off the bitterness.

On second review and on the third bottle I had to re-rate it. It is so bitter at the end that I had to give it away. The bitterness would just not go away. blah

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

Appearance: Hazy amber glass holds a respectable head that laces the glass.

Smell: Wet cereal grains with what seems like the Sierra Nevada house yeast. Leathery earthy malt base with some hop leaf but no bitter nose.

Taste: Spicy rye front with a bitter, tannin taste that slowly fades. Some malt body keeps this drinkable with a syrupy sweetness, but it's a little work getting from sip to sip. It's all bitter hops, with a straw dry finish.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation goes a bit fizzy in the mouth. Medium body with an oily finish.

Overall: It's like they squeezed all the hop goodness out and used it for another beer. I like the rye aspect and taste, but the hop profile is much more English than American; bittering rather than flavoring. It's probably a personal preference, but I just don't enjoy this end of the hop spectrum. Maybe you will.

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%

Just so we're clear, I dont like rye beers, but a lot of people have been telling me the rye profile is small in this one and drinks more like a really good IPA. So here goes.

Pours a clear vibrant copper color with a deep auburn center. Big fluffy off white head. Lots of rye on the nose along with citric and piney hops. Hop and rye presence blend together well on the nose.

Rye flavor is dominant but not overly dominant like other rye beers I've had. The hops really do a good part of keeping the malt body from being the star of the show by blending the flavors of the beer together quite nicely. The beer however tries to have a bright finish with it's citric hop profile but is weighed down by the peppery spiciness of the rye.

Slightly thin body upfront which thickens up once it reaches the rest of the tongue. Flavors are well blended but I'm not sure if they're meant to be blended together.

I could definitely see some people really loving this and it is a unique brew but it's just not for me.

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a N'Ice Chouffe beer stemflute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average. I don't usually trust Sierra Nevada, but I think they can pull off a rye ipa.

Served refrigerator cold. Side poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticiipated.

A: Pours a two and a half finger head of fair good cream, nice thickness, and good retention. Colour is a clear copper-amber. Not unique or special for the style. Appealing in a general sense.

Sm: Light pepper, amber hops, some cream, very light toasted malts, and some caramel. Vaguely evocative of an English winter warmer. Strange for an IPA. A mild strength offer.

T: Some pepper - especially in the third act. Some toasted malts, plentiful amber hops, and a bit of caramel. I get rye as the foundation - but only when I look for it - and barely. Poorly balanced. Built okay. The flavours compete rather than cooperate. The untamed hop bitterness is problematic.

Mf: A bit too coarse and wet, with a bit of cream. Too thick for the (lack of) flavours. Adequately carbonated. Doesn't actually suit the flavours horribly well.

Dr: Kind of drinkable, but largely a scattered mess. Doesn't feel focused. The untamed hop bitterness ruins the balance. I don't know that the rye is doing much for it. The ABV is decently hidden.

Wouldn't be a good candidate for aging at all. I might have it again if it were on draught and recommended.

C-

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

Have some recent reference for this style with Jester King Wytchmaker, which didn't astound me but was good enough to keep me interested in what else is out there for rye + IPA.

12 oz. bottle poured on January 15th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - It's a pretty dark, deep caramel/amber color. Typical one finger's worth of a white fluffy head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Even warmed up a bit, this aroma is muted. Light malt grain, slightly piney hops, lemon peel, and faint spice grounds.

T - Better but not where I anticipated. Initial carbonation and light fruit zest. Black peppercorn, ryebread, and further malts at the middle of the tongue and push through the backend.

M - Light-medium body, fair carbonation. Semi-short finish of rye, bitter hop resin, and a bread-like body.

D - This really pales in comparison to Jester King's offering. The nose is extremely subtle and the taste doesn't offer a whole lot of interesting notes of spice, which was sort of the whole point of rye, right?

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.