1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kaseydad on 12-29-2011)

JimmyDean818, Jan 28, 2014

stacy00killbore, Jan 28, 2014

Aknight90, Mar 14, 2014
3.73/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can you really review a beer without considering its price?

Most Sierra Nevada beers are an outstanding value. The legendary (and over-hyped) beer in my area is Surly Abrasive. Great beer, but way too expensive. Hopslam? Outrageous.

Ruthless Rye has a ton of flavor. Nice West Coast hops. Earthy. Dare I say umami?

If you want flavor and richness without the high alcohol and without a high price tag, check this out. One of my go-to beers.

puckee, Jan 14, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma of grapefruit,/citrus. Spicy/peppery notes from the rye. Pours with a copper color, clear. Off white head laces on glass. First sip is a noticable bitterness along with the grapfruit notes. Spicy chararcter is notiable but plays a background in this beer. Would like to see a little more rye character. Bitterness is upfront malt is light and takes a back seat. First impression was not the best but as I finished the pint the mote I liked it.

Okierat, Feb 04, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

gofastshoes, Mar 20, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

I'm a homebrewer and have been debating whether or not to brew up a RyePA. When I decided I was just going to do it, the wife said I wasn't allowed to until I tried one. So I set out to find one. They aren't very common but I was fortunate that Sierra NV's Ruthless just came out.

A-Deep goldeny delicious looking.

S-Confident hops. It's not really the feature of the brew, but its there to support the malt in a strong way.

T-It's a tastation!!! It's tastatic!!! Very addicting. Light but malty, and the rye is a unique twist. Very obviously rye, but it feels right.

M-Smooth and clean. Easy to drink. Very addicting beer. You want to keep sipping it.

O-This is the best seasonal from Sierra NV. I'm really glad they have decided to add this to the lineup. It's a great beer to drink when you just need a good beer. Seasonally, I think it could work year round even.

I am now confident that a homebrew RyePA is in order.

bsiri85, Jan 13, 2012

SlenderArrow, Jan 27, 2012

IMHammert, Jan 16, 2012

Jdurfey, Feb 13, 2012
2.4/5  rDev -38.1%

Truly ruthless this beer needs to mellow out a little for me to enjoy it. I am all for complex beers with many different ingredient lending themselves to a well put together final product, but this beer is a bit too much. Pours Beautifully with a nice lasting two finger head. The aroma is very strong, smelling of pine and rye. The flavor is surprisingly potent for an amber beer, it would seem more suited to a darker beer. All in all this beer is like pouring half a bottle of cumin on your taco, Cumin is great but don't over do it.

Chad, Feb 25, 2012

Corey, Mar 06, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

bluebeer317, Feb 29, 2012

gamer201, Aug 08, 2014

Craig01890, Jun 13, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

2013 bottle

Very deep amber/ almost brown with offwhite head

Smells of citrusy hops and some hearty grain

Taste is very balanced being slightly hop forward but fading quickly to a grain aftertaste

Nice full mouthfeel with good carbonation

I really like this beer and will drink quite alot of this over the next few months

akuczero, Jan 07, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +25.8%

This is an incredible beer. It has a unique flavor profile. It hits you hard with the hops and the rye. It finishes with a really nice dry aftertaste. It's a beer that you enjoy for a minute when you're done drinking. It is one of my favorite beers.

purdueracer, Mar 24, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

mjr5052, Jan 06, 2014

Waddles22, Jan 08, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Mguerinot, Feb 11, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the first Rye beer I've tried I think.. But so far so good.

A- considering it's in a bottle and I'm not gonna pour it out just to see it, this makes a this part a little difficult. But... I did pour just a sliver into a glass and it had a nice copper color.

S- the smell was good but there wasn't a lot there. I'm sure if I had a glass I would've enjoyed the smell more. But from what I did pick up, I could tell it was going to be a stronger first taste than I thought.

T- the first taste was spicy (if that's how you use that term). Definitely a little kick. Once that taste starts to leave you get hit simultaneously with a bitter orangey flavor that is just amazing.

M- once I was able to give my mouth a tour, it was just dieing for more! All of the flavors work well together.

O- so far, Sierra Nevada hasn't let me down. This is definitely a very great brew. I would have no problems buying a six pack or suggesting this to friends and family.

RocketRaccoon88, Feb 27, 2014

mistermoosey413, May 12, 2014
4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from the Vineyard to start off the weekend. Poured copper coloured with substantial off white head. Didn't really pay too much attention to the aroma as I was too keen to taste it. Great mouthfeel with a good balance of hop and malt. Nice head retention and lacing. Definitely should have bought more!

Dextrose, Aug 01, 2014

mklatsky, Jan 13, 2012

rm0208, Feb 12, 2014
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.