Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale AleSierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-20-2003

Our popular draught version of the classic Pale Ale. Lighter in flavor and a little less robust than our Pale Ale. The Draught Style Pale Ale is a very drinkable and flavorful ale. ABV 5.0%
Reviews by Fatehunter:
3.44/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a half finger of head on a clear dark straw colored body.
The aroma is a faint grapefruit smell.
The taste is moderate lemon zest and grapefruit bitterness. Good balance.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's an enjoyable beer.. (249 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%

I like this beer from the tap better than the bottle, which seems to be unusual for this brew. Still clean and crisp-tasting with a slight bite. The tap has been more reliable for me. I've occasionally had problems with the bottle being skunked or funny tasting. It must not ship well because it has happened with multiple distributors. (336 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the NC brewery taproom.
Excellent clarity. Deep Amber color with a very good head.
This is not just lower in ABV. This is a light bodied and lightly aromatic APA.

O: Drinks like a mild session pale ale. (215 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -0.3%

My first beer review, it's about time.

I currently have this "draught style" pale ale on tap in my kegerator. It cost me $63 for a 1/6 keg (quite high compared to similar beers but the store didn't have the price posted and I had already committed to buying it when I found out).

I thought I knew more than alot of people when it came to craft beer but I honestly didn't know that there was a regular SNPA and a "draught style" when I was buying it. Oh well. I would compare the two but it's been about a month since I had the regular and I honestly can't remember much about it (haha), I just remember the regular exhibiting great hop taste with a crisp finish.

This particular selection is a very, very, drinkable APA with the taste of hops fitting in nicely with what the rest of the beer is trying to accomplish. Appearance only got a 3/5 because a nice frothy head with notable lacing is a must for me, but this one had neither. It is my first beer out of the keg so I may try to intentionally put a thick head on it next time to see what happens.

UPDATE: Poured a 2nd beer with forced head, the head dissipated a little faster than expected but it was nice and creamy at first, and I didn't get the best of lacing out of it but it did lace some. I upped my appearance score a point.

Taste is crisp and slightly "pine" hoppy, which is fine with me. Pours a faint amber color and the caramel malt is there but not overwhelming as it is in most amber ales/lagers. This is an APA that you could either slam to the ground or have with dinner with. It's the girl at work who is boring but at the same time has a great body. A great beer for the person who is stepping into the realm of crafty beers for the first time. A-/B+. (1,730 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Sampled at the Sierra Nevada Brewery
Pours a slightly clearer and paler yellow than the original SNPA...lighter than American Macros.
Head is a white half finger and faint lacing remains after the head disappears.
Aroma is similar to SNPA but milder....less hops but still with a nice fresh citrus to it.
Taste is fresh pale malt and light citrus hops. Hints of orange and then a light grapefruit finish.
Aftertaste is clean and refreshing....very much a thirst quencher and a session beer when you are in the mood for lighter fare. (537 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at the Rochester Taproom in Rochester, NY.

Pours a clear golden light copper color, with a one inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like a bit more muted version of regular SNPA- pine, grapefruit, and some spicy pepper flavors as well.

The taste is similar. Tastes pretty similar to the regular version, but just a bit more muted. A good amount of peppery, grassy hop flavor.

The mouthfeel is smoother and creamier than regular SNPA, almost cask-like, which is nice. Very drinkable.

A nice variation, but I prefer regular SNPA. (548 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this today at Sierra Nevada Brewery.

Appearance- golden color, thin head, nice lacing

Smell- light aroma of hops

Taste- light flavor of hops

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought this was pretty good but I think it is a lot lighter than the regular pale ale. I still liked it though and would drink it again. (349 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +3.7%

The icon of the style on draft. Copper in color almost clear and with a good white head. The aroma is surprisingly malt (toasted bread) forward then slight floral hops, my guess is this is toward the bottom of the keg. The flavor has solid bitterness up front with toasted malt and caramel sweetness before some citrus hop in the finish. The body is nice and solid without too much carbonation. This is still a very well made beer and this is why I started drinking, and loving, pale ales. (489 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

I have had this beer several times. There really isnt a big difference between the draught version and the original. The aromas and flavor profiles are almost identical except in the draught version they are somewhat muted. The mouthfeel is thinner. Drinkability is very high. Don't be fooled this isn't a Pale Ale Light - an amazing beer with lots of flavor. (359 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.