Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale AleSierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-20-2003

Our popular draught version of the classic Pale Ale. Lighter in flavor and a little less robust than our Pale Ale. The Draught Style Pale Ale is a very drinkable and flavorful ale. ABV 5.0%
Ratings: 84 | Reviews: 21
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Served on tap into a large pilsner, the beer comes off with a light, orange-copper color, with minimal head that is fluffy and white. Hints of sweet malt pepper the hops and citrus blend in the smell, with initial taste of resiny hops and a blended citrus and caramel roasted backbone. Smooth, but with a bitter, slightly resiny aftertaste. Easy to drink due to the smoothness of the beer itself, and the decent flavor goes a long way for this one, too. This is a standard in the APA style.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at the Rochester Taproom in Rochester, NY.

Pours a clear golden light copper color, with a one inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like a bit more muted version of regular SNPA- pine, grapefruit, and some spicy pepper flavors as well.

The taste is similar. Tastes pretty similar to the regular version, but just a bit more muted. A good amount of peppery, grassy hop flavor.

The mouthfeel is smoother and creamier than regular SNPA, almost cask-like, which is nice. Very drinkable.

A nice variation, but I prefer regular SNPA.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

They say this is lighter, but I always remember it pouring a bit darker than the bottled version. Aroma of earthy grassy pine with a nice bready malt backbone. Flavor follows the aroma perfectly, with light biscuityness and some medium bitter pine. Pretty good stuff that goes down easy and nice to have around in place of the other crap at the bar.

3.44/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a half finger of head on a clear dark straw colored body.
The aroma is a faint grapefruit smell.
The taste is moderate lemon zest and grapefruit bitterness. Good balance.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's an enjoyable beer..

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Sampled last night at Applebees of all places...

Beer pours a light orange color, a slight amount of haze, and a nice firm white head.

Aromas are mild, a bit of pine like cascade hops, and some sweet cereal like notes.

Taste is quite similar to the standard Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, except this is just toned down. There is a nice rich and full mouthfeel, a sweet creamy malt like backbone, and just a hint of hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, full bodied, and well rounded beer.

Drinkability is top notch. This is a nice mellow Pale Ale that seems to be more like a British Style Pale, and it is prefect for sessions.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

1/2 pint at the brewery for two dollars on 8/11/08, reviewed from notes, seemed to be the drink of choice by several people out in the patio that day

A-Golden copper color, 1/2 inch foamy off white head, did not last long, weak retention, lacing at the beginning
S-Hoppiness, light lemons, some black pepper, citrus, caramel malt, strong yeast, and bread
T-Start is full of malt, middle has some watered down bread, finish has light hops mixed with some citrus, which comes out more later with grapefruit and orange peel, flavor is much milder than the standard pale ale, needed more strength, tasted more like a light version to me
M-Thin to medium bodied, taste does not linger like the normal version, mouthfeel is light and not near as hoppy, lightly carbonated
D-Could drink a couple glasses of this, taste is mild and light on the stomach, ABV cannot be too high, which would make a decent session beer, goes down too easy

I could not detect many differences between this and th normal version other than this is much lighter in flavor and significantly less robust, it seemed to be way more watered down, probably would skip next time, worth trying though

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%

I like this beer from the tap better than the bottle, which seems to be unusual for this brew. Still clean and crisp-tasting with a slight bite. The tap has been more reliable for me. I've occasionally had problems with the bottle being skunked or funny tasting. It must not ship well because it has happened with multiple distributors.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Sampled at the Sierra Nevada Brewery
Pours a slightly clearer and paler yellow than the original SNPA...lighter than American Macros.
Head is a white half finger and faint lacing remains after the head disappears.
Aroma is similar to SNPA but milder....less hops but still with a nice fresh citrus to it.
Taste is fresh pale malt and light citrus hops. Hints of orange and then a light grapefruit finish.
Aftertaste is clean and refreshing....very much a thirst quencher and a session beer when you are in the mood for lighter fare.

3.86/5  rDev 0%

Following review was written on Friday, November 27th.

Got a pint of this at the golf course about half an hour ago. Most people don't realize that draft Sierra Nevada is almost always "Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale". "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale" can only be had on-tap at the brewery in Chico.

Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A tight, yet fluffy, white head sits atop a crystal clear amber body. Shades of gold shine through near the edges of the glass, and gentle streams of carbonation can be seen rising throughout. Decent head retention. Nice cobweb-like lacing.

Smell: Lemony hops and hints of alcohol poke through a solid base of toasted malt. I was told at the the brewery that regular SNPA has more hops and a higher ABV than Draught Style Pale Ale (which is supposedly more malt focused), and I think it shows through here. Not as fragrant/fruity or sharp as SNPA from the bottle.

Taste: Toasted malt, caramel, and a touch of butter make up the backbone of the taste, with citric and piney hops complementing that backbone nicely. While this beer is certainly crisp and well-balanced, it certainly isn't as citrus-y of bitter as bottled SNPA. Still very smooth (possibly smoother than regular SNPA) and very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Maltier than regular SNPA, and probably more balanced. Malty and creamy, but still effervescent and crisp. Finishes with light dryness and bitterness. Medium-bodied and very smooth.

Drinkability: While I prefer regular SNPA to Draught Style Pale Ale, I find both to be very similar (no surprise there). With the availability being what it is, I can always count on getting a delicious pint of Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale wherever I am.

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this today at Sierra Nevada Brewery.

Appearance- golden color, thin head, nice lacing

Smell- light aroma of hops

Taste- light flavor of hops

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought this was pretty good but I think it is a lot lighter than the regular pale ale. I still liked it though and would drink it again.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

A-Poured into a standard pint glass. Its a hazy dark gold with a bright white head that leaves a ring of lacing at the top.

S-Great balance between hops and toasty malt.

T-Hops up front first providing a nice citrus flavor followed by a great toasted malt finish. Simply delicious.

M-Very nice mouthfeel, not to thick or thin, with a nice amount of carbonation.

D-Session beer all the way. It tastes great, its refreshing, and has an average abv.

Overall, this beer is just as good as the bottle version in my opinion. Its an American classic.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a very nice looking yellowish orange color with a thick off white yellowish head and just a little lacing around. Smells of piny hops and a little toasted malt. Great balance of piny and citrusy hops with toasted malts and caramel in the flavor. I like this as much as the bottled stuff. Mouthfeel is the same, plenty of crisp bubbles doing their thing. Overall, its a great rendition of an American classic. SNPA will always have its place in my heart.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

The icon of the style on draft. Copper in color almost clear and with a good white head. The aroma is surprisingly malt (toasted bread) forward then slight floral hops, my guess is this is toward the bottom of the keg. The flavor has solid bitterness up front with toasted malt and caramel sweetness before some citrus hop in the finish. The body is nice and solid without too much carbonation. This is still a very well made beer and this is why I started drinking, and loving, pale ales.

4.73/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I just had a pitcher of Draught-Style Pale Ale at the Chico brewery (in the Big Room.)

To be clear, this is a different beer than their standard Pale Ale. Draught-Style is a little lower in ABV and has an increased sweetness.

A: Dark amber, almost brown. A definite difference as compared to Pale Ale. It goes without saying that the head and lacing were world class.

S: Wow. Malt forward. Strong toasted grain. Some sweetness that is sugary. Hops take a backseat with this Draught version.

T: Not 50/50 balanced like the bottled Pale Ale, this one leans towards the malt side. The malty sweetness is an outstanding, and welcomed, addition to the original Pale Ale!

M: I almost always appreciate more carbonation and this is no exception. More substantial than expected. Instead of hop bitterness this finishes with a kiss of sweetness.

O: Just wow. It's Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale adjusted for my palate. I really, really, really would like to see this bottled and available year 'round. My only issue is the low ABV.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

I have had this beer several times. There really isnt a big difference between the draught version and the original. The aromas and flavor profiles are almost identical except in the draught version they are somewhat muted. The mouthfeel is thinner. Drinkability is very high. Don't be fooled this isn't a Pale Ale Light - an amazing beer with lots of flavor.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

served in a shaker pint

A - pale orange with a hint of amber; slight off-white head; moderate retention; one nice ring then little lacing

S - clean and balanced nose; lightly grainy; some toasty grains; citrus and pine hops

T - quick lightly creamy palate; very balanced; nice weave of hops and malt

M - creamy and easy; moderate CO2

O - quite appealing, but lacking something on the nose and palate

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was nice golden color with a bright with head.

Smells of grassy hops and citrus.

Taste was good but maybe a little lacking. I think maybe I'm a little biased do to the fact that pales aren't really my style.

Mouthfeel was nice and it went down smooth. I could see myself drinking quite a few.

Similar to the Pale Ale but I liked it a little less. It reminds me a little like a smooth Carlton Draft.

Shared a taster on-tap as part of four flights at the brewery; Sierra Nevada Brewing Co, Chico, USA. As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com

3.72/5  rDev -3.6%

appearance: poured into 22oz mug, a nice amber color. Head retention seems slightly lacking, I have to swirl to keep bubbles and there is still about 12oz left, and there is almost no lacing.

smell: Some citrus and pine comes through but i seem to smell buttery biscuit as the prominent aroma. I don't get this same aroma from the bottle, it is much more hoppy - mostly citrus and floral.

taste: nice and hoppy. not quite as much hop flavor as the bottled version, but in my opinion it is better balanced. i would consider myself a hop head but i enjoy the draught better than the bottle even though it seems a bit more tame. I get mostly citrus hops and a biscuity flavor with a nice dry aftertaste.

drinkability: The drinkability is good, but I think I'd rather go for a Best Bitter, as it is more flavorful and even lower ABV.

2.89/5  rDev -25.1%

The first time I tasted this, i thought there was something wrong. I even had the store replace the keg because I thought something was wrong. After troubleshooting my setup and further investigating, I realized this is merely how this beer tastes. The draught style is keg conditioned and loses much the bitterness from the hops. Disappointed.

A: Beautiful deep golden, best feature of this beer
S: Sweet Lemon, grassy, citrusy
T: I've come to expect a certain taste from a pale ale, and this doesn't measure up

on draft at the home kegerator, pint glass

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%

My first beer review, it's about time.

I currently have this "draught style" pale ale on tap in my kegerator. It cost me $63 for a 1/6 keg (quite high compared to similar beers but the store didn't have the price posted and I had already committed to buying it when I found out).

I thought I knew more than alot of people when it came to craft beer but I honestly didn't know that there was a regular SNPA and a "draught style" when I was buying it. Oh well. I would compare the two but it's been about a month since I had the regular and I honestly can't remember much about it (haha), I just remember the regular exhibiting great hop taste with a crisp finish.

This particular selection is a very, very, drinkable APA with the taste of hops fitting in nicely with what the rest of the beer is trying to accomplish. Appearance only got a 3/5 because a nice frothy head with notable lacing is a must for me, but this one had neither. It is my first beer out of the keg so I may try to intentionally put a thick head on it next time to see what happens.

UPDATE: Poured a 2nd beer with forced head, the head dissipated a little faster than expected but it was nice and creamy at first, and I didn't get the best of lacing out of it but it did lace some. I upped my appearance score a point.

Taste is crisp and slightly "pine" hoppy, which is fine with me. Pours a faint amber color and the caramel malt is there but not overwhelming as it is in most amber ales/lagers. This is an APA that you could either slam to the ground or have with dinner with. It's the girl at work who is boring but at the same time has a great body. A great beer for the person who is stepping into the realm of crafty beers for the first time. A-/B+.

Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.