Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale AleSierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Our popular draught version of the classic Pale Ale. Lighter in flavor and a little less robust than our Pale Ale. The Draught Style Pale Ale is a very drinkable and flavorful ale. ABV 5.0%

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-20-2003)

happy5930, Dec 08, 2011

bmur112, Nov 15, 2011

andylipp, Nov 14, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

served in a shaker pint

A - pale orange with a hint of amber; slight off-white head; moderate retention; one nice ring then little lacing

S - clean and balanced nose; lightly grainy; some toasty grains; citrus and pine hops

T - quick lightly creamy palate; very balanced; nice weave of hops and malt

M - creamy and easy; moderate CO2

O - quite appealing, but lacking something on the nose and palate

nezelrac, Mar 31, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a very nice looking yellowish orange color with a thick off white yellowish head and just a little lacing around. Smells of piny hops and a little toasted malt. Great balance of piny and citrusy hops with toasted malts and caramel in the flavor. I like this as much as the bottled stuff. Mouthfeel is the same, plenty of crisp bubbles doing their thing. Overall, its a great rendition of an American classic. SNPA will always have its place in my heart.

TheKingofWichita, Mar 25, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

A-Poured into a standard pint glass. Its a hazy dark gold with a bright white head that leaves a ring of lacing at the top.

S-Great balance between hops and toasty malt.

T-Hops up front first providing a nice citrus flavor followed by a great toasted malt finish. Simply delicious.

M-Very nice mouthfeel, not to thick or thin, with a nice amount of carbonation.

D-Session beer all the way. It tastes great, its refreshing, and has an average abv.

Overall, this beer is just as good as the bottle version in my opinion. Its an American classic.

thegodfather2701, Feb 12, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was nice golden color with a bright with head.

Smells of grassy hops and citrus.

Taste was good but maybe a little lacking. I think maybe I'm a little biased do to the fact that pales aren't really my style.

Mouthfeel was nice and it went down smooth. I could see myself drinking quite a few.

Lillenk, Jan 01, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Served on tap into a large pilsner, the beer comes off with a light, orange-copper color, with minimal head that is fluffy and white. Hints of sweet malt pepper the hops and citrus blend in the smell, with initial taste of resiny hops and a blended citrus and caramel roasted backbone. Smooth, but with a bitter, slightly resiny aftertaste. Easy to drink due to the smoothness of the beer itself, and the decent flavor goes a long way for this one, too. This is a standard in the APA style.

GarthDanielson, Dec 02, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

appearance: poured into 22oz mug, a nice amber color. Head retention seems slightly lacking, I have to swirl to keep bubbles and there is still about 12oz left, and there is almost no lacing.

smell: Some citrus and pine comes through but i seem to smell buttery biscuit as the prominent aroma. I don't get this same aroma from the bottle, it is much more hoppy - mostly citrus and floral.

taste: nice and hoppy. not quite as much hop flavor as the bottled version, but in my opinion it is better balanced. i would consider myself a hop head but i enjoy the draught better than the bottle even though it seems a bit more tame. I get mostly citrus hops and a biscuity flavor with a nice dry aftertaste.

drinkability: The drinkability is good, but I think I'd rather go for a Best Bitter, as it is more flavorful and even lower ABV.

Estocker, Sep 08, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -1%

My first beer review, it's about time.

I currently have this "draught style" pale ale on tap in my kegerator. It cost me $63 for a 1/6 keg (quite high compared to similar beers but the store didn't have the price posted and I had already committed to buying it when I found out).

I thought I knew more than alot of people when it came to craft beer but I honestly didn't know that there was a regular SNPA and a "draught style" when I was buying it. Oh well. I would compare the two but it's been about a month since I had the regular and I honestly can't remember much about it (haha), I just remember the regular exhibiting great hop taste with a crisp finish.

This particular selection is a very, very, drinkable APA with the taste of hops fitting in nicely with what the rest of the beer is trying to accomplish. Appearance only got a 3/5 because a nice frothy head with notable lacing is a must for me, but this one had neither. It is my first beer out of the keg so I may try to intentionally put a thick head on it next time to see what happens.

UPDATE: Poured a 2nd beer with forced head, the head dissipated a little faster than expected but it was nice and creamy at first, and I didn't get the best of lacing out of it but it did lace some. I upped my appearance score a point.

Taste is crisp and slightly "pine" hoppy, which is fine with me. Pours a faint amber color and the caramel malt is there but not overwhelming as it is in most amber ales/lagers. This is an APA that you could either slam to the ground or have with dinner with. It's the girl at work who is boring but at the same time has a great body. A great beer for the person who is stepping into the realm of crafty beers for the first time. A-/B+.

smasports, Apr 04, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -25.8%

The first time I tasted this, i thought there was something wrong. I even had the store replace the keg because I thought something was wrong. After troubleshooting my setup and further investigating, I realized this is merely how this beer tastes. The draught style is keg conditioned and loses much the bitterness from the hops. Disappointed.

A: Beautiful deep golden, best feature of this beer
S: Sweet Lemon, grassy, citrusy
T: I've come to expect a certain taste from a pale ale, and this doesn't measure up

on draft at the home kegerator, pint glass

110toyourleft, Dec 23, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Following review was written on Friday, November 27th.

Got a pint of this at the golf course about half an hour ago. Most people don't realize that draft Sierra Nevada is almost always "Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale". "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale" can only be had on-tap at the brewery in Chico.

Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A tight, yet fluffy, white head sits atop a crystal clear amber body. Shades of gold shine through near the edges of the glass, and gentle streams of carbonation can be seen rising throughout. Decent head retention. Nice cobweb-like lacing.

Smell: Lemony hops and hints of alcohol poke through a solid base of toasted malt. I was told at the the brewery that regular SNPA has more hops and a higher ABV than Draught Style Pale Ale (which is supposedly more malt focused), and I think it shows through here. Not as fragrant/fruity or sharp as SNPA from the bottle.

Taste: Toasted malt, caramel, and a touch of butter make up the backbone of the taste, with citric and piney hops complementing that backbone nicely. While this beer is certainly crisp and well-balanced, it certainly isn't as citrus-y of bitter as bottled SNPA. Still very smooth (possibly smoother than regular SNPA) and very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Maltier than regular SNPA, and probably more balanced. Malty and creamy, but still effervescent and crisp. Finishes with light dryness and bitterness. Medium-bodied and very smooth.

Drinkability: While I prefer regular SNPA to Draught Style Pale Ale, I find both to be very similar (no surprise there). With the availability being what it is, I can always count on getting a delicious pint of Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale wherever I am.

ThreeWiseMen, Nov 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

I have had this beer several times. There really isnt a big difference between the draught version and the original. The aromas and flavor profiles are almost identical except in the draught version they are somewhat muted. The mouthfeel is thinner. Drinkability is very high. Don't be fooled this isn't a Pale Ale Light - an amazing beer with lots of flavor.

xhcadamx, Feb 28, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

I like this beer from the tap better than the bottle, which seems to be unusual for this brew. Still clean and crisp-tasting with a slight bite. The tap has been more reliable for me. I've occasionally had problems with the bottle being skunked or funny tasting. It must not ship well because it has happened with multiple distributors.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

1/2 pint at the brewery for two dollars on 8/11/08, reviewed from notes, seemed to be the drink of choice by several people out in the patio that day

A-Golden copper color, 1/2 inch foamy off white head, did not last long, weak retention, lacing at the beginning
S-Hoppiness, light lemons, some black pepper, citrus, caramel malt, strong yeast, and bread
T-Start is full of malt, middle has some watered down bread, finish has light hops mixed with some citrus, which comes out more later with grapefruit and orange peel, flavor is much milder than the standard pale ale, needed more strength, tasted more like a light version to me
M-Thin to medium bodied, taste does not linger like the normal version, mouthfeel is light and not near as hoppy, lightly carbonated
D-Could drink a couple glasses of this, taste is mild and light on the stomach, ABV cannot be too high, which would make a decent session beer, goes down too easy

I could not detect many differences between this and th normal version other than this is much lighter in flavor and significantly less robust, it seemed to be way more watered down, probably would skip next time, worth trying though

Floydster, Aug 28, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Sampled last night at Applebees of all places...

Beer pours a light orange color, a slight amount of haze, and a nice firm white head.

Aromas are mild, a bit of pine like cascade hops, and some sweet cereal like notes.

Taste is quite similar to the standard Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, except this is just toned down. There is a nice rich and full mouthfeel, a sweet creamy malt like backbone, and just a hint of hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, full bodied, and well rounded beer.

Drinkability is top notch. This is a nice mellow Pale Ale that seems to be more like a British Style Pale, and it is prefect for sessions.

flexabull, Apr 07, 2007
Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.