Follow our progress ...

Brux Domesticated Wild Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Brux Domesticated Wild AleBrux Domesticated Wild Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by JohnGalt1 on 06-24-2012

Reviews: 329 | Ratings: 1,336
3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

2013 bottle

- Pours a copper clear with airy white foam. This beer is very clear with no haze, almost like a lager.

- Smell is sweet earthy funk with spice notes.

- Taste is crisp, sweet malt mixed with grassy citrus flavors. Not getting much funk and definitely no sour/tart flavors. Slightly drying on the palate.

- Overall an interesting beer. Very crisp and clean on the palate with an interesting sweet, earthy, citrus vibe. However, it is not sour (which is implied with "wild ale")... I would describe this as a sweet saison. Worth a try if that style sounds appealing, but I'm a bit disappointed honestly.

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml corked champagne bottle poured into oversized tulip glass.

A - Fizzy white head collapses to the smallest ring around the edge. The beer is a light orange shade with a slight haze to it. No lacing left on the glass.

S - Tangerine/citrusy/lemony bright tones instantly. I get a bit of some tartness but no significant brett funk. Maybe a hint of esters. I topped up my glass with the final slurry of yeast at the bottom and it is coming across with more of the tartness and some more of the brett characteristics.

T - Has a delicate malt definition right away. The malt I get seems to be the lightest of caramel malt. The taste is quite dry throughout the whole palate. Earthy and some clove phenols late in the taste. The alcohol warms pleasantly in its dry finish.

M - Nice light body with a good dryness helps refresh my palate. Tingling high carbonation.

O - I found a good amount of complexity in the smell but the taste was tough to define/identify the many nuances. Maybe these flavors were a little muddled but perhaps I lack the capacity to fully identify them. The appearance was nice with a beautiful shade of orange yet with a small head. The smell was a consequence of being a little young in that the brett never really exposed itself yet. The mouthfeel and body reminded me much of my favorite saison, Sofie in that it was dry a light which is a pro in my book. I would much like to purchase another bottle to age a year or two and recomment further on down the road.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Excited to finally get this. Haven't had a RR wild yet, but I love the style. From the corked/caged 750mL bottle into my Darkness snifter.

Pours a hazy golden with a one-finger eggshell white head. Recedes quickly with little lacing. Looks like a wild...

I'm liking this nose. Very Belgian pale ale upfront with a nice funky brett backing. Cardamom and cloves meet pear and green apple. Some funky barnyard and a bit of tartness. No booze.

Follows the nose. Nice Belgian flavors upfront; spicy and floral. Moderate brett funk in the middle blends with pear, lemon zest, apple cider, and some earthy hops. A slight tartness comes through with some nice pale malts. Still no alcohol. Finishes with a bit of funk, musty hops, and pale malt. Subtle but pretty complex flavor profile.

Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Finishes is well balanced and pretty clean for the style. Could maybe use a touch more carbonation.

Overall this was a really good Wild Ale and a perfect introduction to what the style can be. It is not a sour, and the Brett could use some time to build. I think a year or even two or three would do this brew well, and may even make it exceptional. If it wasn't so pricey I would recommended to all, but it is still worth picking up if your a fan of the style. Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Nose of white wine, grapes, pears, and a slight sharpness probably from the Brett. Taste is slightly grassy, pears, green grapes, white wine and I feel like there's a hint of plum. Its sharp and bubbly but not overly effervescent. This definitely has that Russian River taste.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

appearance is orange hazy with a fast fading head that eventually dissipates

smell like lactic acid bacteria....i smell some light fruit such as pears

taste is hard to swallow....rich with lactic acid....bitter on the front then a light fruit note, then a burning from lactic acid in back

feel is crisp and dry

overall this one is a great version of an american wild ale

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

quickly dissipating white head, amber color.

Pleasant saison funk (that is to say mild funk), bit of citrus, but of mildly sweet smelling malt.

First thing that shows up when I taste it is the champagne like carbonation. Following that there is a nice belgian spice, mild caramel malt, and dry finish. Almost has a persistent aspect of soda water.

All told, a nice beer- though at the moment not quite justifying the ~$14 price tag. However, once the bret works its magic in a year or two I really think this beer with shine. I'm glad I've got three more bottles of this sitting in my beer cellar and cant wait to try them again later.

4.19/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: 25.4oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Colour is a bright hazy orange-brow. Half-finger head fades to a puffy film. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Spicy yeast and bubblegum are first and foremost. Aside from that I get a tart mixture of citrus, malts, and something along the lines of figs.

Taste: Tart is the prominent flavour, although not overpowering. I honestly cannot pinpoint a single familiar flavour in this - I'm lost! Yeast, spice, malts, metallic, and slightly musty are words I would use.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with a pack of carbonation. Clean, crisp, and dry.

Overall: This is my first AWA and it has certainly opened my eyes regarding different flavours. While totally different than the usual, I'm excited to further my explorations of this style.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

A-Poured an orangish tawny color with a 1-1.5 finger head that dissipated fairly quickly. However carbonation bubbles very active once head was gone.

S-Not an overwhelming smell, but pleasant none the less. Definitely a sweeter aroma that smells of light caramel.

T-A slight malty sweetness upfront before a mild tartness sets in and lingers a bit. Slight notes of citrus fruits and yeast on the back end with a bit of a tannic finish.

M-Excellent mouthfeel. A high level of carbonation that was balanced nicely with a medium to heavy body. Also had a nice dryness to it.

O-Overall this was a pretty solid beer, but I was expecting a bit more for the price and the names on the bottle. However I feel that it was a exceptionally balanced beer, that walked the line between sweet and sour. Glad I picked up two of these, looking forward to seeing what a bit of age does to this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage poured into tulip

A: Golden-amber body with a white with orange-tinged 2 finger head. Tons of visible carbonation which makes quite a nice noise.

S: Strong funky, earthy, barnyard hay smell that’s not unappealing. Hints of citrus and spices as well as well as a general white wine like aroma

T: Grass, hay and earth: dry with hints of orange, apple, pear, banana and white grapes. Tiny bit of hop bitterness hiding in there that helps with a bitter finish.

M: Medium to light body with lots of lively, tingling carbonation.

O: I didn’t have this fresh, but I assume time has only made it better. Brett lends its nice flavors and aromas here in a very drinkable beer. A good collaboration brew that I’m glad I picked up and cellared for a year. If you can find this be sure to try it.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a corked bomber into my Ommegang flute

A- pours a crystal clear golden orange, two finger fluffy white head, spotty to little lacing present

S- mmmm funky brett, dry crisp fruit, apples and pears, a lemon scent brings up the tail, sweet candi sugar, smells like an awesome wild ale

T- interesting, i'll start with the fruit, pretty close to the nose with pear and apple flavors, slight lemony citrus as well, bready malt, dry finish, not a whole of sour or tart mixed in,

M- medium body, dry and crisp finish, very nice balance of carbonation, couldn't detect any alcohol either, very nice feel

O- overall not a bad beer, i was just really excited considering RR's history with sour beers, i picked up another bottle and i'm gonna let it aged for a couple of years and really let that brett develop, i think in the long run this could be an extremely tasty beer, right now it's just kind of a fledgling

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

Appearance: 1/8 inch head retained throughout drinking, nice. Looks like a hazy gold. Decent lacing afterwards.

Smell: I smell orange peels, very crisp and pleasant. Pleasant sugary, yeasty scent too.

Taste: Initial citrus (mild banana too?) yields to sweet bready, yeast. Also some mild pepper on the end--alcohol certainly warms the palate as well. Quite drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, solid carbonation.

Overall: As others have noted, I suspect this beer would change over a couple years if aged--that isn't saying that it would be any better or worse. That said, it's simple but very good, and worth drinking right now instead of the future. A good introduction into wild ales for sure.

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%

Bought at M&R liquor in avon, ct a day prior. Corked and caged 750ml brown belgian bottle.

A less than careful pour creates a 1/2 finger tall cap of loose foam.Lackluster and ephemeral, the head completely dissipates within 30 seconds leaving an enticing translucent light golden orange body. Numerous pillars of medium sized bubbles are a testament to this brew's lively carbonation.

A quick whiff reveals clementine, orange zest, bready yeast, some light malt, hints of earth, white pepper and funk. The aroma is a bit reticent, I like it when a beer makes it clear what I'm in for right when I pop open the bottle.

Orange zest and lemon zest are the first to the party followed by crackery malt, earth, grassy hops, a restrained sour twang, dirty, bretty funk and a bit of peppery spice to round out the long, dry finish. Yeahhh! Nice! An excellent sipper for sure.

Lively carbonation, a thin to medium body and a wonderful dry finish make this a damn enjoyable brew.

It's hard to pin down. The head is disappointing and no one flavor really stands out. Does it live up to the brewer's intent? Absolutely. Is it enjoyable to drink? Hell yeah.

Overall, I would drink it again even if the cost of entry is a bit high. Go ahead, give it a shot! I'm sure you've spent money on worse things haha! Cheers!

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - poured a bronze golden color

S - great smell, but honestly nothing way above average for its style

T - a slight bubble gum flavor but not overpowering, very sweet, light and smooth

M - very carbonated/gassy feel

O - very balanced beer and one of the better golden ales i've had. would really be curious to see how this ages.

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This has been aged for about a year. Hazy orange color tons of carbonation flowing through this. Head is white and fizzy reminds me more of a soft drink then a beer in appearance. Nose is sweet... orange, candied fruit no real hops present but then again after a year not expecting a ton either. Flavor is very different from the nose as there is a nice tartness with a backing of that funky brett. I have had a few brett beers before and this one seems to tame them well while using them for their intention of adding a very different flavor. I'm sure the year has also helped tame them. One thing that is immediately present on the mouthfeel is all that carbonation. Stings the tongue along with the tartness to give an experience you don't normally get from a beer. I like it but don't know if I'd rush back to the feeling. Overall I really like this beer but probably wouldn't buy it again due to the price point. I am just getting into the sour side of beers and can't wait to try some more.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Rich honey body, little head but that's not unusual for a bret beer.

S: Soft but pleasant bret sharpness. Some sweetness and barely ripe fruit plus citrus.

T: This beer is a battle: sugar vs. bret and both are losing. The base belgian style is a little too sweet to integrate fully with the tart and mild funk of the brett. I'd say dial down the sugar to begin with or up the spontaneous character. Finish is lingering sweetness that dare I say, somehow reminds me of a Vienna lager.

M: Fine, nice

O: Overall I love the collaborative spirit but this beer is not greater than the sum of its parts. Sierra and Russian River are better than this.

4.26/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours out to a hazy orange-amber with a thick off-white colored head that subsides slowly.

The smell is fragrant and sweet, and I can detect hints of honey and fruit.

The flavor is slightly sweet and bready, just as how the smell hinted. There's a light citrusy bite that goes along well with the carbonation. The hops taste warm and blunt, and remains in the mouth for a subtle, lingering finish.

The mouthfeel is balanced, fairly watery but with a decent bit of carbonation that goes well with the citrusy bite of the flavor.

This is a very drinkable beer that's flavorful and smells great (which is really important to me).

4.82/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I bought this last year and waited until a buddy came to town to open.

Appearance: like every good Russian River brew. Hazy golden amber.

Smell: Citrus with a bit of Brett funk.

Taste: sour hoppy liquid goodness. Not sure if it is better than last year but it aged well in my fridge.

Mouthfeel: soft and well balanced.

Overall: this is a very good brew from two great breweries. The Brett was lighter than other Russian River Brew offerings and is a great beer to introduce someone to the sour style. Sierra Nevada did their part and put together a good beer with RRBC. Usually, I'm not a big fan of Sierra Nevada, but this one is outstanding. If you can locate a bottle, this is worth a try. I'm going to buy all the bottles my hometown store has left. It will be interesting to re review in another year.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled/released 2012
Sampled 10 August 2013
Hazy golden appearance. Smell is pleasant with sour and fruity notes. Taste is very light and almost watery. Very little sourness. Intended to develop over time and I guess a year isn't long enough for this one. Very vigorous carbonation. Overall a well crafted beer but not one that is all that amazing at the moment.

2.64/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle purchased at a reliable, high turnover store. This beer smells like a skunked bottle (and at $15 I hope to g*d it was fresh)- but I think that this is the way it is supposed to taste.
Sour tasting, but clean, if you want to say anything nice- at $15 a bottle- never again. I am used to pretty much anything. I had high hopes for these brewers and made the purchase based on their rep, but will look before leaping next time.

2.28/5  rDev -40.5%

This beer is really not very good at all. I am a huge fan of sours. This is just bad. Not very sour or flavorful. Rather boring and unbalanced... Hops are way out of place here. I wish I had more to say to get to 250 characters. This was a quick drain pour. Going to go crack a Westy 12 as an apology to my palate.

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hi-test Orval!
This is a beautiful Brett blond. Subtle but enticing aroma if sour cherries, pineapple and cinnamon along with light sweet malt. The mouth fills with peppery spice, bright fruit, and distinctive character of Brett. Finish is bone dry and lingering, warmed by alcohol with nicely balanced candy sweetness and hop bitter.

I would love to squirrel away a case and taste one or two a year to see how they develop. This could replace Orval as my standard sacramental beverage.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

Shared a bomber with some friends. Review based off of about 7 oz.

A - Hazy, golden, beautiful. Reminiscent of autumnal leaf changes in Vail Valley.

S - Pungent, tart - refreshingly sour.

T - less "in your face" than the smell. Really well done, smooth, tangy, hints of mint and summer.

M - no complaints. Great carbonation and aftertaste.

O- get your hands on this.

3.24/5  rDev -15.4%

A- Golden orange. Fleeting head.
S- Easily its strongest showing. Crisp, clean and fruity-sour. Green apples, pears and a nice spicy backdrop.
T- A little dissapointing. The elements were there but they seemed flat together. Strong belgian yeast flavors dominate and the fruits make a brief appearance that trails of into a spicy dry tartness. Not much funkiness at all.
M- Delicately carbonated. Medium light body, maybe a touch oily.
O- Not bad. An average belgian, but a dissapointing wild ale. Perhaps I built myself up a little too much for this one. Sierra Nevada, Russian River and a Wild Ale? I was expecting a lot.

2.51/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Popped the bottle a few days ago, was pretty disappointed... Poured into a tulip.

A. Fizzy and golden, maybe a bit too over-carbonated, sustaining head.
S. Band-aids and tart fruit
T. Sour dough bread, a bit of nutmeggy-ish spice, very dry and sort of anti-septic.
M. Very dry, the carbonation explodes into a pillow-y foam on the tongue.
O. I can see some Orval-esque notes in the beer, that may just be the Brett. Brux. but I can't get over the flaws, the beer tastes antiseptic and smells like Band-Aids.

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Pours with a full white head that lasts a while. Not much lacing. Well carbonated. The beer is a pretty light golden color, somewhat cloudy.

S: Smells sour, citrus, hay, this was all good. Detected a somewhat soapy smell that detracted.

T: This wild ale is sour, but not too sour. just the right level for my tastes. Also tasted apricot, bread and that wild Brett barnyard taste. (Actually, I think Brett tastes like dirty socks (not that I taste dirty socks). Don't let that description turn you off, I like Brett. Had a nice sweet/ spicy aftertaste that lingered for a bit.

M: Light, crisp, well carbonated, refreshing.

O: This is an easy drinkinwant to buy a few bottles to put away for when I am in the mood for a subtle sour.

Brux Domesticated Wild Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.