Narwhal Imperial Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Narwhal Imperial StoutNarwhal Imperial Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-14-2012)
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 1 pint Ball (wide mouth) jar.

A - coffee black with 1 finger of dark caramel colored.

S - bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts and hints of coffee.

T - roasted everything = cocoa nibs, coffee, malt. Just a touch of sweetness. High ABV% is discernible.

M - almost light for a RIS. Very smooth.

O - I'm not usually a fan of the style, but being out of SN, I thought I'd try it. This one may just entice me to sample more RIS. Thanks Sierra Nevada!

smanders, Dec 11, 2013

CMack71968, Dec 11, 2013

Andy_Luft, Dec 10, 2013

midlifec, Dec 10, 2013

SteelSaw, Dec 10, 2013

Giantspace, Dec 10, 2013

Alex5, Dec 10, 2013
3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Bought from Little's wine and liquor

A&S: Pours about a finger of milk chocolate colored head, which dies very quickly to nothing more than a small ring. Solid black colored beer that poured. Sweet dark fruits present complemented by some black coffee. alcohol is pretty hot when it warms.

T&M: Dark roasty coffee is pretty much all I'm getting in the taste. Even as it warms, not much as far a chocolate or other classic imperial stout characteristics. Surprisingly pleasant bitter finish. Not super creamy, but smooth.

Overall: About what I expected, nothing special, but nothing bad. Won't buy again, just really wanted to check it off my list.

minterro, Dec 10, 2013

Buttermilk, Dec 09, 2013
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle purchased in Ireland, left out of fridge for 15 minutes and poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark chocolate brown, almost black with a finger light brown head that recedes quickly and leaves a ring.

S: Very strong smell of chocolate and roasted malts, and a bit of alcoholic warmth just hidden under the surface - very nice. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had. The sheer strength of the smell is impressive.

T: Sweet chocolate followed by a bit of warm alcohol accompanied by a slight taste of cherry or fruity phenols. Warm alcohol lingers, slight bite in the mouth from the phenols, and finishes with dark roasted coffee and bitter hops. I really like the taste other than the phenols I'm picking up, the bite is a bit unpleasant. Phenols were replaced by spiciness as the beer warmed. Bitter coffee and hop taste lingers pleasantly long after the beer is gone. Tastes melded together cohesively as the beer continued to warm. Fruity taste ruins the taste for me a bit; reminds me of cherry cough syrup.

M: Full-bodied, creamy, low carb. Very easy drinking for a beer this big. Matches the sweetness of the chocolate and coffee notes excellently.

O: This is a very good beer, but the fruity part of the taste really threw me off. I'll have to pick up another bottle and see if I got unlucky or there's just something that I don't like. Everything but that one flavor is fantastic. Definitely didn't live up to its hype for me as far as taste goes, but still an enjoyable, if a bit disappointing, beer.

bareju, Dec 09, 2013

Lebzilla, Dec 09, 2013

Vimarsh, Dec 09, 2013
4.56/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a Belgian tulip glass. This is the 2013 edition.

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a tan head. No light penetrates the beer, less than a finger head after a semi aggressive pour, tiny bubbles in the head, some lacing, looks great in the glass.

Smell: Chocolate, roasted malts, not a heavy aroma.

Taste: Chocolate roasted malts on the front, I can taste the alcohol after drinking, The alcohol is not as strong as when I first tried it around October. The beer is about 5 months old. The alcohol has significantly subsided.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, oily coat on the palate, I can feel the carbonation, tiny bubbles, moved around in my mouth.

Overall: One of my favorites imperial stouts from one of my favorite breweries. This is at least, an outstanding beer, if not world class. A lot easier to drink after cellaring it for 5 months, still have some bottles I will open at the end of 2014, or maybe in between. Cheers!

Catracho5, Dec 09, 2013

PGVG, Dec 09, 2013

markdrinksbeer, Dec 09, 2013
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

A - 2 1/2 finger frothy dark tan head. Jet black

S - CHOCOLATE. Sweet.

T - sweet but robust roastyness. Immediately followed by chocolate, then spicy ness, bitterness from hops, not astringent coffe flavor. 10% abv well hidden. As it warms, surprisingly more spicy. This time from alcohol I believe. Chocolate still present but it takes a back seat to all the spicy ness.

M- creamy

Overall, really spicy for a stout. Of course SN loves to overuse hops. And they didn't make an exception just bc they made a stout. Too much for my taste, but with the tasty chocolate upfront, still makes for a good spicy "holiday stout"

TastyAdventure, Dec 08, 2013

Travis1221, Dec 08, 2013

s1ckboy, Dec 08, 2013

Dreamer, Dec 08, 2013

frankthetank86, Dec 07, 2013

mrfrancis, Dec 07, 2013

csmalley, Dec 07, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured a blackish body with almost brown head that is one-finger high and leaves a little ring as it goes down. First thing that hits my nose is coffee, then a bunch of roasted (I won't say toasted or smoked) malts and some bitter chocolate (or dark). The body is heavy, and while I would not list heavy/stoutish beers as some of my faves, I really like this one b/c while heavy it still passes easy (slightly chewey as well). I get mostly a roasted, coffeeish malt experience but the addition, and then due to addition great balance, of some dark chocolate makes this a dry and sweet experience and thanks to the easy passing this beer is by no means a chore to continually sip on. This is a great stout that even not-stout fans should try.

clayrock81, Dec 07, 2013

salinasa, Dec 07, 2013

p-wagz, Dec 07, 2013
Narwhal Imperial Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.