Narwhal Imperial Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Narwhal Imperial StoutNarwhal Imperial Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-14-2012)

Poured into a tumbler in late 2013.

A: Opaque black.

S: Roasty malt, brown sugar.

T: Lots of bitterness overwhelmed anything else for me on the first sip.

O: I tried to make it through this with small sips, but the bitterness was too much. The alcohol was very well hidden. This was a drain pour.

2.03/5  rDev -51.1%

This was my first Imperial Stout and I feel like I have diabetes.

Are they all this sweet and sickly?

Sure, coffee, chocolate, etc, etc. Thick and no sense of humour.

I'm willing to consider my lack of inexperience as a huge mark against my review, but honestly—this is strong and heavy and SWEET. I love strong, I love heavy, I just can't understand the attraction to the sweet...

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

2.3/5  rDev -44.6%

1/2 share from Dan, thanks man. 6 oz. poured into a Hunahpu's snifter on November 21st, 2012.

A - Standard visual affair - dark brown color, verging on black. Light caramel-colored head. Reduces down to a frothy ring. Marginal lacing but moderate legs.

S - Light milk chocolate, espresso, and honey malts. Very basic an unimpressive.

T - Very bitter throughout the drink, but only partially in the form of dark chocolate and coffee notes. This is a rare instance in which the hops taste like hops (fresh Expedition also comes to mind). Unfortunately, this is a big negative imo. Beyond that, unspectacular coffee beans and a light bready character.

M - Moderate body, low but appropriate carbonation, and a reasonably dry finish.

D - Mediocre. Though I'm sure the cost is reasonable, there's just no reason for me to buy this when I have stuff like Breakfast Stout available. The only thing that impresses me is that this feels and drinks like a 6% beer, not 10.2%.

2.56/5  rDev -38.3%

2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A- An onyx black pour with a fluffy and thick deep tan head that floats near three fingers. An absolute ton of sticky lacing grabs the sides of my Bruery tulip and NEVER lets go. Decently oily legs drip and ooze down the rim.

S- Nicely charred malt, bitter German chocolate, grapefruit peel, mango, slight touches of vanilla and pine. More Black IPA than RIS in the traditional sense.

T- WOW! Lots of char and citrus bite down on the tongue. RIS/Cascadian IPA? Reminds me of Storm King or Wookey Jack. Not my favorite type of RIS. Too much citrus, no dark fruit, cocoa, coffee, vanilla or other flavors/aromas that I normally associate in a RIS. The char and citrus just kind of strip your palate.

M- Dry, burnt malt, and too much citrus for what they call a Russian Imperial Stout! RIS' should envelope you in dark fruit, cocoa and coffee IMHO, not this! I'm getting tired of breweries labeling Cascadian/Black IPA's as RIS' just to sell beer!

O- This isn't bad mind you... it's just not what I consider the style to be, and I am a stickler for rating on style. If they said this was a black ipa, it'd be at least a 4! I'd put this up against Wookey Jack, Black Watch IPA, Hop Noir or some other really good Black IPA's. A world class, or even good RIS it isn't. Sorry SN, you usually wow me. Redefine it, and I'll re-review it!

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

Serving Type : 2012 bottle. Poured from a bottle into a Duvel snifter glass

Appearance: Pretty standard really for an imperial stout. Black.

Mouthfeel: Not too thin, not too thick. A little more thin than I'm used to for the style, but not undrinkably so.

Smell & Taste: I'm actually going to group these together. My main problem with this beer is the hopping. Whatever hops were used, are not good. At least not in this style of beer. I feel like Mikkeller uses the same hops in Black Hole... which I'm also not a fan of.

Overall: Overall, I'm not impressed by this beer and I think I'll leave it to the fanboys. All I know is that for me to want to drink this, I need for the hop character to be almost completely gone... and for the price point for the 4-pack, I can buy a lot of other things.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

Narwhal Imperial Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.