Ovila Belgian-Style Abbey Quad: Ale Brewed With Plums - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Ovila Belgian-Style Abbey Quad: Ale Brewed With PlumsOvila Belgian-Style Abbey Quad: Ale Brewed With Plums

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Trilogy31 on 01-30-2013)
4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Pours out a dark reddish brown with a dark khaki head that dissipates rather fast. Nice bubbles streaming up, with great lacing and legs.

S - The nose is all sweet malts with plum, raisins, fig, sugar candy, caramel and some of the classic Belgium yeast notes. Smells smooth.

T - Plum, raisins, roast, cherry,roasty breadiness, cinnamon, salty, spicy-alcohol, lingering fig flavor.

M - Soft and pillowy with a medium to full body, sweet in the beginning and drys out toward the end with good carbonation. The spicy alcohol bite of this beer gets to your tongue after a while to the point which I believe it hinders my ability to taste all the flavors.

O - A very nice offering by Sierra Nevada in collaboration with Abbey of New Clairvaux. Solid Quad worth seeking out if you like this style. Only complaint is I wish the finish did not mess with my palate so much, other then that its a winner, cheers!

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: Almost black. Deep brown. Not much of a head remains.
Smell: Roasted something. Coffee.
Taste: Roasted coffee, chocolate, alcohol, fruit.

Great! The drink looks so deep and inviting. The smell is pretty good, but rather simple; mainly a roasted malt and coffee hint. The taste has more components. The best to me was the chocolate. It had a delicious, creamy chocolate taste. The alcohol is certainly noticeable, but not over the top for this ABV. All around, this is one to get and try. I would get it again.

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12.7 oz corked and caged bottle poured into a Karmeliet tulip glass. No date on the bottle.

Appearance: Clear dark brown, with a deep coppery color when held up to the light. Thin tan foam across the top with occasional islands of lacing - not very persistent lacing. A few bubbles here and there very slowly coming up through the beer.

Smell: When first poured, quite metallic. As it warmed up the metallic is still there, but toffee notes come out. A hint of something fruity every now and then.

Taste: Rich toasted malt, caramel, toffee, some cocoa notes (but these disappeared as the beer warmed up), dark fruits, some spiciness. Definitely on the sweet side. Some tiny hints of warming alcohol as the beer warmed up.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, slick, some lingering alcohol bite and spiciness, but a bit flat as well.

Overall / Drinkability: I don't know if this was supposed to have yeast sediment in it or not, but when I pulled the cork and there was practically no noise I was concerned that something was off with this bottle. No bad tastes, but I wonder if something is missing in this beer given that I'm not picking up the aromas as described on the bottle. Tasty, but not an amazing quad. If there are plums in this, they are well hidden. For the price I cannot see getting it again when there are better quads available.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark with no head but a little bit of foam(poured into a goblet) which is creating just a bit of lacing.

S - Smells of a Belgian ale...this may be a ridiculous description, but my brain tells me when I am smelling a Belgian ale and that's what it's telling me now.

T - Mildly spicy and a little fruity but very smooth. Deliciously hiding the alcohol content. IMO Sierra Nevada should remove their name from this because this beer is entirely too good to not be a stand alone brand.

M - Smooth, slight carbonation on the tongue and throat.

O - I am glad I got my hands on this before my local liquor stores ran out of it as it seems to be in low quantity and high demand. If I can grab another 4 pack I will and I suggest you do the same if you enjoy dark Belgian ales.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Ovila Belgian-Style Abbey Quad: Ale Brewed With Plums from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.