DevESTATEtion - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

DevESTATEtionDevESTATEtion

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: mverity on 09-07-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 563 | Reviews: 120
3.99/5  rDev +2%

"Farming's never easy, but Mother Nature got the best of us this year and we lost our entire estate barley harvest to strong winds and California drought. Luckily, our homegrown hops are as good as ever, so we're honoring the memory of the barley that wasn't by bringing you this new black IPA. It's a shame when good barley goes bad, but instead of crying in our beer - or lack thereof- we decided to do one better and make something new. Featuring organic malts and our estate-grown wet hops, this black IPA is the evil twin of our legendary Estate Ale. Black in color with a mild roast flavor and moderate body, this beer has a bold citrusy and earthy hop flavor and aroma from the use of our own wet hops. We'd never let one bad harvest get in the way of a great beer, so join us in a toast to the memory of our devastating season." Brewed in the style of a Black IPA. Released fall 2013 as a one time release. Available in 22 oz. black waxed bottles and on limited draft.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a Sierra Nevada tulip glass. Served above 58º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a creamy frothed mocha-white head over a deep mahogany brown body. Carbonation is relaxed and plentiful. Retention is excellent, lacing is lumpy and streaked. 4.75

(Smell) Roasted malts up front this time- Light roasted barley malts and biscuity caramel malts combine with robust fruity yeast notes, licorice, raisin, cocoa and molasses for a fairly malt-forward beer in the aroma. Hops are secondary, with hints of herbal, fruity and mellow citrus generating some balance in favor of the style. The roast and sweetness is a bit more noticeable than expected, especially for the style. 3.75

(Taste) The malts and hops merge better in the flavor. Nice roasted barley malt up front with some fruity complexity paired with a modest herbal and fruity hop, finishes lightly dry with lingering chocolate, roast and stickiness. The balance is still in favor of the malts, although the hop bitterness is a bit more predictable this time. 4

(Mouthfeel) Texture is roasty, chewy, lightly sticky. Carbonation generates a subtle creaminess for a fluffy, smooth mouthfeel. The body is medium for the style, medium/heavy overall. Balance is very slightly sweet over bitter, and drinkability is very high. Alcohol presence is low and there are no off characters to mention. 4

(Overall) Black IPA perhaps in name only, this has much more porter-like flavors and aromas going for it than a black IPA usually would. Recommended for those in favor of a maltier black IPA or or perhaps a less aggressively hopped one, either way I found it a pleasant surprise because not too many black IPAs are as graciously balanced as this one, and it manages to be as enjoyable, if not more so due to it's originality in that regard. Sierra Nevada have done a fine job with this beer. 4

Sierra Nevada Brewing Company's
DevESTATEtion Black IPA [ALMOST Homegrown Ale]
3.99/5.00

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

Cellar aged for 18 months.

This black ipa poured a handsome near black color allowing only a little light in around the edges. The head was ivory and ample with good retention and beautiful lacing. The nose was shockingly hoppy given the amount of age on the bottle. Notes of pine and herbacious hops are most prevalent. it is pretty typical of the sierra nevada hops bouquet. There is some roasty qualities of coffee and dark chocolate but they are not as prevalent as I would have expected. The flavor follows the nose to a T with a hoppy bute on the start giving way to a rich roasty flavor on the finish. The mouthfeel is creamy n smooth but still has the sticky ipa resinous quality. This is well made. Would love to see it brewed again.

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

1 PT, 9.4 FL. OZ, aka 25.4oz bottle, with dark purple wax

Dark brown/ruby with a big soapy head. Smell is dark fruits, grassy hops, really sweet and not unlike a good red wine. More savory malt comes out as it warms. Taste has a chocolate malt backing with some apricot and dried tart fruit.

Better than most black ipa's.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada's DevESTATEtion last month for $9.49 at Cork N Ale. I had a bottle of the last Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale and I thought it was pretty good and I planned on trying the newest release, then I heard about the problems they had with their crops and how it would be a Black IPA instead, I'm still interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml waxed bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it looks a little similar to the last one and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a decent brown color that took on light brown hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of sticky and patchy lacing behind. I thought this was a nice looking beer, the head and lacing were nice, but I wish the color was a little darker.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart some herbal, piney and earthy hops with a slightly lighter citrus rind hop aroma with some grapefruit aromas coming through and neither aspect seems to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart some roasted malts, caramel, sweet malts and light chocolate like aromas with a slight creamy aroma coming through towards the end. I thought this beer had a nice aroma, there was some good balance between the hops and the malts.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they are little lighter then they were in the aroma, but they impart the same hoppy aspects with neither aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma but this time the chocolate comes through more and along with the roast malts they stick out the most. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness with a earthy/herbal hop, roasted malt and light chocolate like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the hops flavors were bolder and the malts could be a little bolder also.

M- Fairly smooth, a little creamy, fairly crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and i think it's a slightly above average example of a Black IPA, it's got most of the aspects that I expect from the style, but most of them seem to be on the lighter side for the style and i find myself wishing this was a bolder and more robust beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little creamy, fairly crisp, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think one glass is enough for me, but I don't think I would have a problem drinking a full bottle since the bitterness isn't too high, but any more than that and I'm sure I would get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the nothing, there wasn't a single aspect of this beer that I like more than the others, they were all equal. What I like the least about this beer was that it left me wanting more and I wish the hops and the malts were both a little more flavorful. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but it if their crops gets ruined again there's a decent chance I'll give the Black IPA version another try, and I would say it's worth a try, but I wouldn't recommend it as a great Black IPA. All in all I thought this was solid, but I was expecting more, I had their Estate Grown Wet Hopped Ale when it was a year old it and it was still pretty good, so I was expecting good things from this one, but in the ever growing style of Black IPA's this one seems to be forgettable. It's not my favorite Black IPA or Sierra Nevada beer and I prefer the normal version of this beer. I appreciate the effort on this one, it sucks to have your hard work ruined by some bad luck, thanks for still putting out a beer out, but this one wasn't as good as I had hoped.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
DevESTATEtion from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.