Berliner Kindl Weisse - Berliner Kindl Brauerei

good

Berliner Kindl Brauerei visit their website

Berliner Weissbier |  3.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)
Reviews by Sachsenfreude:
Sachsenfreude

01-22-2012 18:32:08 | More by Sachsenfreude
oberon

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

My first Berliner Weisse I have tried not the season for them but available,poured a lighter straw color with a fizzy quick to vanish head.Hmm quite lactic and tart like green grapes aroma wise almost a gueze-likeness to it with the grapeskin and lactic thing going on,quite sour upfront on the palate with a touch of iron but drys out in the finish with a hint of wheat.Not fond of the fizzy,thin mouthfeel I know its very low in alc.A summer quencher yeah I can see it but not something I would try again.

01-05-2006 18:29:21 | More by oberon
RoyalT

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance – This one is light orangish-yellow in color with a big head that literally disappeared in seconds. What a dud.

Smell – There’s almost no smell to this beer. I know it’s supposed to be delicate, but come on. I can pick up some faint citrusy notes but that’s about it.

Taste – The orange notes from the aroma turned into orange syrup at the taste. I can barely pick up some yeasty flavors (which saved the day) but otherwise there’s not much to this one.

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied fizzball was hard to hold in the mouth. The carbonation, which IMO is one of the most important aspects of a Weissbier, was cheap and fizzy like Alka-seltzer.

Drinkability – This is not even close to what I was expecting. I don’t know why I even finished the bottle.

10-12-2004 14:42:55 | More by RoyalT
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Cute little bottle purchased at the Comeback Inn.

Appearance – Light yellow, cloudy, with a thin white head that immediately dissipates to nearly nothing.

Nose – Fowl aroma of dirty wheat. Slightly tart and growing ever more so as it warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Heaven on Earth. Light, fruity, and ever so tart. My first experience with the style and certainly a winning one. Some sourness too. This is very good. Warmth adds to the sourness tremendously. The final sips are just to die for palate wise. Not much in the way of flavor though, just hints of wheat, fruity yeasts, and sourness. I can’t say I mind to much. I like the feel so much, and the light refreshing body, that I could go on drinking several of these.

Drinkability: Very high if you like sour/tart beers.

06-01-2007 19:27:36 | More by DaPeculierDane
sponberg

4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

Cripes. What a great summer thirst quencher. Tart from start to finish, with wheaty background and a "drink me!" nose. Spritzy, with a lactic tang. The finish is tart, graint, and thirst quenching.

I'm with VENOM on this one - who needs syrup? I had the grenadine at the ready, but there's no way it ever hit the glass.

07-04-2002 12:27:00 | More by sponberg
merlin48

Kentucky

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

Stubby, little 11.1 oz bottle as pictured here, pours a slightly hazed, pale straw yellow body with a small white head that quickly drops to a cap. No lacing.

Aroma is tart green apples, white grapes, and a hint of wheat malt.

Mouthfeel is tart and acidic, crisp and lightbodied. Spritzy carbonation enlivens the feel.

Taste is also tart and acidic, lots of sour green apple, lemon cider, and a hint of wheat. No apparent hop or yeast presence, and malt character is very understated. Easy to understand why one would add sweet fruit syrup to this, but it's just fine out of the bottle. Very different, but a pleasant experience to enjoy. Light, airy, crisp, and refreshing, and the tart sourness is present from start to finish.

This one certainly caught me off guard, as I was totally unfamiliar with this style. Part of the Beeradvocate experience is the adventure of sampling new styles such as this one. A low alcohol bier that is totally different than any other style, yet is well made and quite enjoyable. Lemony and green apple tartness, with airy carbonation and a light body give this one an excellent drinkability.

11-30-2005 10:52:52 | More by merlin48
fdrich29

Bottle from the Sunset Grille in Brighton, MA after trying some of Drewbage's.

This beer is traditionally served with a syrup to mix in, either a woodruff or raspberry. I went with the raspberry for my bottle, Drewbage had the woodruff in his. I was surprised (and impressed) when the bartender asked Drewbage which syrup he'd like, as I had never witnessed this type of preperation before.

Amazingly some tartness still comes through in this beer despite the sweet raspberry syrup. A unique and satisfying beer drinking experience.

07-06-2005 03:49:37 | More by fdrich29
innominat

Ireland

12-10-2012 19:28:06 | More by innominat
DrunkenPanther

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer is one that a person should drink if they know what they are getting into with the style. I am a big Berliner fan, but others arent due to the sour/light taste. That said, if you like sour mashed beers, this is a pretty decent one. The appearance is very light, with slight carbonation. It is a 2.5% beer, so it would be difficult to expect much different.
The aroma gives you a slight hint at the sourness, but it is light as well.
The taste is sour, but not so much as to make you pucker. It is a very light beer that is great to drink after mowing the lawn, or just sitting outsiide on a summer day. I liken this much to a Radler on it being a great "Summer" drink (Not neccesarily the taste).
It is a very easy to drink beer. Like I said though, just understand before drinking it that it is a sour mashed brew.

04-22-2004 16:44:36 | More by DrunkenPanther
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.81/5  rDev +9.2%

A 330ml bottle with a BB of July 2013. Picked up a while back from Trembling Madness in York, and stored in my garage. I've had this before while in Germany; unusually it comes in the stubby bottle that I associate more with Belgium. Love the little kid on the label.

Poured into a straight pint glass. Bottle conditioned. A hazy, pale-straw hue with medium carbonation. Yields a small head of creamy white foam that lasts for a few minutes before subsiding. Aroma of dry, earthy yeast with notes of lactic acid and a faint nuttiness. This is underpinned by grainy malt with a touch of wheat. Simple but pleasant.

Tastes of lactic tartness and yeast, with a dry, acidic finish. Notes of lactic acid, natural yoghurt, earthy yeast, faint apples, mild wheat and a hint of stewed leaves. Almost lemony in character, though without the flavour. Very dry and astringent upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, spritzy and very tingly - the acidity tantalises the tastebuds. The body is light but it suits the style and the low ABV. An aftertaste of lactic acid, yeast and faint wheat.

Tasty, though surprisingly sharp. I suspect the acidity has increased while it was sat in my garage. The flavour is most reminiscent of unsweetened yoghurt, with a tartness similar to grapefruit juice. Earthy yeast dominates, with subtle grain and wheat taking a back seat. Light but refreshing, and would certainly be nice on a warm day. It's a simple beer, and I find it very drinkable (preferably without the syrup that the Germans insist on adding). Worth trying if you come across it.

04-05-2013 22:48:34 | More by jazzyjeff13
ADR

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Ghostly medium yellow haze, white head diminishes in 30 seconds. Marginal lace. Lightly yeasty aroma, slight shoe leather, interesting. Tightly tart, with a strange smokiness reminding me of peated malt in Scotch (without any alcohol sense). Moves into a brief sense of salty wheat paste and finishes diminished overall -- light lemon acidity. Spritzy mouthfeel. As a Beliner Weisse, its got the expected sourness, but not overbearing or with tons of aftertaste. My first beer for style, its OK, but I'm not sure a sweet fruit syrup would do much for me in here.

Source: Liquid Solutions

02-13-2004 16:40:34 | More by ADR
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.85/5  rDev -47%

I don't really know what to make of this, that subtle hit of sour is pretty much the only thing i liked about this, very light texture, with little development of any flavour, like sour lemonade, with a touch of grainy malt. My first Berliner weisse, and i'm a bit let down and confused.

05-07-2003 06:58:18 | More by rastaman
rhoadsrage

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a pale straw yellow body with a slight hazy and a strong carbonation. The big white billowy head turns rocky as it dies down.

S-This beer has a sour tart note to the smell with a hint of yeast. Some faint German bitter hops are in the background.

T- This beer has a bit tart sour flavor with a slight sweetness to the finish. The finish taste of fresh honey as sweet tart candy.

M- Light watery body with a fizziness that makes it seem more full and an astringency that really makes your jaws tighten up.

D- This is a very dynamic beer for having only 2.5 % ABV. It has lots of characteristics that are not common to most beers. It has some good "wild" beer notes but it would be nice to see more of them. I do prefer them red or green with the syrups but it is refreshing on its own.

10-08-2005 02:08:54 | More by rhoadsrage
Metalmonk

[Score is averaged from two tastings, one without syrup and one with. Also, bottle is a newer design than currently pictured, and clearly states the ABV is 3%]

My wife is a born-and-raised German and insists the only way Germans drink this beer is out of a goblet/chalice through a straw, with a kind of fruit syrup added. She has never even tasted it by itself, without the syrup. I did:

w/o syrup:
A: Exceedingly pale & light with a tiny head.

S: Sour, very much like white wine, yeasty/bready.

T: Almost on a lambic level in its tartness and sour finish. Yeasty funk abounds.

M: Crisp and dry, scatters across the tongue like champagne.

D: Kinda untamed and wild without the traditional syrup addition. Will try that now:

w/syrup (himbeer [raspberry] syrup by Riemerschmid from Munich):
A: Beautiful frothy milk-white head, with a cloudy, dirty plum color.

S: Raspberry out front with yeasty, doughy background.

T: Sour, raspberry flavor incorporates well, bready, somewhat lactic. Delicious.

M: Soft milkiness with generous tingling from the carbonation.

D: Delicious, a definite summer refresher...which my wife and I enjoyed on a mild winter's day...

12-23-2006 22:23:06 | More by Metalmonk
cokes

Wisconsin

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Heavily diluted pale straw with a short lived white cap.
Nose of DIll pickles and wheat hulls.
A shockingly tart blast of concentrated lemon juice begins things. Turns even more acidic by the time it hits the esophagus, leaving a lingering impression of bile. The next sip replaces it with some under-ripe bitter grapefruits. A whole different grapefruit sensation than the PacNW hops we are all used to. Dressed with a vinaigrette. Toss in a dab of dijon mustard, and a spoonful of cider. Completed by a shadowy wheat husk that arrises late.
Very light bodied, with a few streams of carbonation.
Once the initial sourness is overcome, this is quite drainable.
I like it.

04-15-2003 18:19:54 | More by cokes
CanuckRover

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Been dying to try this ever since I arrived in Berlin, but couldn't get it pure at cafes, just the red and green, so I picked myself up a bottle.

Pours a murky yellow, like a dark lemonade with zero head/lacings. I give it a 'good' because I think that it's right on style-wise.

Apple cider on the nose, little bit of white-wine vinegar.

This drinks like a sour cider. Lots of apple, tart lemon, quite sour. Finish offers alot of wheat/malt just to let you know it is indeed a beer.

I think this could have done with a tad more carbonation, but I'm admittedly inexperienced with the style.

The German girl looked at me funny for drinking it plain, but it ain't bad. Really good summer drink, I'll have to try it with the syrups.

07-20-2008 20:20:46 | More by CanuckRover
NeroFiddled

4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

At just 2.7% abv, this prototypical classic Berliner weisse is an incredibly refreshing and drinkable ale! Its just slightly hazy straw gold body displays its delicately effervescent bubbles beneath a short head of bright white. The head retention is limited but it does leaves some nice lace about the glass. The nose offers lightly tart wheat and nothing else, which is basically what's found in the flavor! There's very little bitterness at all, but it's not needed as the mild acidity dries it out! It's basic but interesting; and absolutely thirst quenching and drinkable!

05-19-2005 21:10:02 | More by NeroFiddled
sfprint

2.63/5  rDev -24.6%

A: Very clear, just a hair yellow. Low carbonation with large bubbles. Looks like a weak ginger ale.

S: It smells like the fried rice in chinese restaurants that goes into sizzling rice soup. Toasted rice. Just a tad sweet.

T: Wow, not what I expected at all. Very sour! Lemon, toasted rice, One of the most sour beers I've ever had.

M: A bit mouthpuckering from the sourness. Sharp carbonation, soda like.

O: Different and interesting but disappointing. It's just basically too sour. I could just suck on a lemon.

11-04-2010 02:37:06 | More by sfprint
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

This poured with a voluminous white rocky head over hazy yellow-gold liquid. Nose is lightly fruity and sharp smelling with fresh overtones. Taste is shockingly tart with up front acidity (I chose to review it "straight up" without added fruit syrup) and a short musty note that came and went. Fleeting bit of malty mouthfeel, but that too, quickly fades. Finishes fast and clean with a refreshing quality with no one dominant feature taking charge.

03-02-2003 08:18:39 | More by beerluvr
DrunkMcDermott

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

I had two bottles after an evening of trading, so I tried one without syrup and one with.
Straight: I can't say I liked what I found. I see by the description that the style is exactly as I experienced. Thin head dwindles to nothing over a pale yellow beer. Spritzy, with a very sour lemonade and grapefruit taste. Sourness overcomes any malts or hop impression. It was worth it to experience the style, but this won't become one of my favorites.
With raspberry syrup for sodas/coffee: Just a little splash made it nice and smooth. Though pinkish, of course, the tartness remaining gave it an edge over most raspberry beers. Probably might even be well matched with a 7-up.

11-28-2003 16:25:30 | More by DrunkMcDermott
Backer2004

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

First time trying this style (how many of this type could this be?). At 2.5% ABV, i'm not sure sure how many I could drink on a hot summer day. I think the tartness would get to me before that, however. Dry and to the point, this could be a favorite among those looking for a half beer/ half wine cooler. Cool looking bottle.

01-12-2006 02:32:05 | More by Backer2004
shbobdb

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +35.2%

This beer has two glaring, GLARING flaws that prevent it from getting a damned-near-perfect score.

The first flaw: 0,33L. What? That is SUPPOSED to read 0,5L as der Gott im Himmel hath ordained!!! This beer is far too good to be served in such measely portions.
As for the second, well, I'll get to that one as I go.

Appearance: Have you ever seen a woman and time stopped? The whole world fades out of focus as you stare at her (possibly at the junction between the English wing and the main wing . . . but that's my experience) as it tkaes your breath away and you want to sob for the sheer beauty of what you are witnessing? This beer looks like the rest of the world in this situation. From my Dom Koelsch (Ja ja, scheissbier, klappe!) glas, this beer resembles the rest of the world in that incredibly bittersweet moment. A hazy golden sheen, nothing could be more tragic, nor more beautiful.

Smell: A beautiful medly with many parts. Rich, snap-crackle-pop German malts, fully rich barley as you'd expect from the most perfect pilsner. STOP Rich, tangy wheat, complex and spicy. A quick hint of the forbidden STOP. The sour twang of regret. The unmistakable mark of lactobacillus!

Taste: Ahhh, have you ever percieved a moment of perfection? Gorged on Glory? Sipped on the supple nipples of Nike? The only complaint I could possible lodge is that it isn't sour enough (the SECOND FLAW) but I have been foraging my beer cabinet for La Folie for some time (Thanks ColoradoBobs! (tm)). So, of course, this is no Flanders Red (the malt is too beautiful and plays to prominent a role) this is no Gueze (No mouldy cheese), this is truly einzigartig! Ahhh. In short, the taste follows smell and what a wonderful suit to follow!

Mouthfeel: A tad thin. Eh, it's a bugbier, these things are OK. Emminently drinkable.

Drinkability: Are you kidding? Michael Jackson says this is the most drinkable style in the world and I agree.

Back to the liquor store to buy a case.

Love at first sip.

Love at first sip.

Note: Drank a lot of Himbeerweiss before I reached the age of majority. May be pre-disposed towards thinking this beer is awesome.

11-07-2006 01:12:46 | More by shbobdb
Beertracker

Oklahoma

4.22/5  rDev +20.9%

Berliner Kindl Weiße is best served at colder temperatures (45-50F) and traditional served in a short tumbler or goblet with a straw. BKW pours up light & spritzy with a pillowy white head atop a lightly turbid, very pale/straw-golden effervescent body. The head dissapates rather quickly leaving a barm of lace in its wake. The somewhat fruity (e.g. citrus, lemongrass) & decidely grainy/wheatberry aroma shows just a hint of the sharp sourness to come. The taste starts off cleanly with a very light graininess then gives into some aformentioned fruitiness, but carries into a sharply dry, somewhat acidic (lactic) finish. There's no bitterness to speak of and virtually very little alcohol which makes for a surprisingly refreshing beer for the open minded. This light bodied, low-alcohol sourish wheat beer makes for a great quencher after a long, hot summer day. For a special treat, try serving this one "mit Schuß" by adding a splash of raspberry (Himbeer), lemon (Zitrone) or woodruff (Waldmeister) syrup (Getränkesirup). Another older variation is called Weiße mit Strippe, which is mixed with a small amount of caraway schnapps (Kümmel) or grain spirit (Korn). I've also seen this one served with apple (Apfel) schnapps. Here's to the "Champagne of the North"!

PROST! Beertracker

08-25-2006 05:38:17 | More by Beertracker
MuenchenerKindl

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a small stout 11 oz bottle to a small hefe beer glass . The liquid is very pale cloudy yellow with lots of carbonation and a medium white head that is oh so very small, ok no sorry my mistake there is no head.

The smell is of a pungent yeast with a light lemony aroma almost like the soft drink Sprite mixed with a wheat beer.

The taste is very much like a soft drink mixed with beer . Very lemony, almost all lemon taste and tartness. Drinking this beer is like sucking lemons. But not bad, even a strange brew like this has its merrits

Mouthfeel is not like beer should be, it is very thin but very crisp and refreashing. This is a strange style. Hmm

Drinkability is ok, it would be a great cooler in the summer heat. This is not my first choice taste, but some may have it. It was not foul or offensive just not a style I like at first. Kind of like Corona or an american wheat with lots of lemon. I would try it again. MK

07-01-2006 17:29:05 | More by MuenchenerKindl
kylesobrien

Quebec (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Pale, straw-colored. Vaguely reminds me of some Belgian white ales I have had. 1 or 2 finger-thick head appears and recedes briskly if poured quickly into glass. An odd shade of green if you add most varieties of woodruff (Waldmeister) syrup for the Berliner Weisse mit Schuss experience. If you add the Schuss, an additional rush of carbonation forms a second, smaller head.

Smell: This was the low point for me. The bottle is amber, so I can't imagine oxidation from UV was to blame, but this beer definitely had a slightly skunky aroma. My friends and I were initially concerned it might taste as suspicious as it smelled, but 4 bottles later our fears were alleviated. My nose might be to blame, but I couldn't really detect hops in the bouquet. Definitely some citrusy, spicy overtones.

Taste: The sourness I had been warned about was there, but I thought it was pleasant and not at all overpowering as some people I had talked with beforehand felt. The tartness reminded me of lemonade, but without any syrup the tartness is not balanced by any sweet flavors. Personally, I think I would either try adding raspberry (Himbeer) syrup next time or forego the Schuss entirely. I hate to relate what quite a few others have, but it does remind me somewhat of a straight, unmixed lambic with a distinct character. But, I like slightly sour beers, so this may have something to do with it.

Mouthfeel: Definitely not incredibly full-bodied. Not quite as thin as I was led to believe from my research, but quite a bit lighter than many other wheat beers I have tried. I was relieved, since I knew that adding the woodruff syrup would make a heavy beer even heavier. I could easily drink this beer on a hot day, both with its low alcohol content and easy body.

Drinkability: Like I said, I like somewhat sour beers, so I would definitely consider this beer drinkable. It has quite a lot of flavor regardless of its malt and alcohol content, and I didn't find the taste to be at all objectionable-- just unique.

My biggest regret is not buying this the first time I saw it at a local shop. It can be very hard to find, even in larger cities. I have never had Schultheiss, but I will definitely pick it up if I have the chance. Some have claimed it has a more complicated set of flavors, but I'll have to see for myself.

07-13-2006 00:23:48 | More by kylesobrien