Berliner Kindl Weisse - Berliner Kindl Brauerei

Berliner Kindl Brauerei visit their website
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  3.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)

kurgan3, Nov 03, 2012

nmoeschler, Aug 20, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -62.8%

Poured into a pils glass it forms an easily managed white head that has good staying power. Partially cloudy, yellow, highly carbonated body.

This had me puckering up a bit, espcially on the first pull as my palate adjusted it was easier to take. Its a light bodied brew that has some vinous characteristics. Grain and pale malt are detectable, leaning towards raw grain. Very thin and watered.

Notes: If this is any indication of the others within this style I think I'll steer clear. A tart tasting light beer is what it tasted like and it really just doesn't fit well together. I would probably prefer this with the syrup and if I can get my hands on some I would try this again. For now, straight up, Pass.

DogFood11, Jan 20, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -57%

rale, Sep 07, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -56.2%

Beer pours a clear straw color almost reminiscent of a pilsner. It has a short lived white head that settles to a light laciness. Carbonation is low.

The aroma has and acidic metallic character to it. It reminded me of a bad lambic experience and I did not care to give my nose a second opinion.

It hits the palette with an immediate dry acidic punch and finishes with hints of fruit.

Mouth feel is smooth with the light carbonation helping cut the acidity.

This is one of two beers I pored out in my life due to taste. Two friends also refused to adopt the glass after they tasted it. It seems that many really enjoyed this beer, but I will not be visiting it again nor can I recommend it.

bensiff, Sep 07, 2004
1.75/5  rDev -49.9%

His_Royal_Hoppiness, May 15, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -47%

I don't really know what to make of this, that subtle hit of sour is pretty much the only thing i liked about this, very light texture, with little development of any flavour, like sour lemonade, with a touch of grainy malt. My first Berliner weisse, and i'm a bit let down and confused.

rastaman, May 07, 2003

This beer was really not what I expected. A whopping 3% abv, I suppose that since the word Kindl is in name of the beer this is supposed to be a lighter brew for the younger folks in Germany. This beer is the proper color for the style. It's a lightly hazy yellow with a fluffy white head. The flavor had a bit of a tartness to it, perhaps lemon. Either way this beer was a little too light for me and not that good.

Knapp85, Mar 27, 2011

Odri, Sep 14, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -35.5%

SoPeL, Aug 21, 2013
2.42/5  rDev -30.7%

Drank clean. Pours a slightly hazy golden, with a small white head that quickly rushes to leave nothing behind. Aroma is strongly sour and citric. Flavor follows, with a mouth-puckering sourness, and bone dry finish. The sourness of this medium bodies brew sticks around forever. I can see this being somewhat refreshing if mixed with a syrup or something to offset the overpowering sourness.

goz, Dec 07, 2003
2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

05/09/05- Purchased at Wine Exchange of Sonoma.

Presentation- 11.1oz stubby bottle dated on the back label. Poured into my Dead Guy pint glass.

Appearance- Very macro-ish piss yellow color, medium seltzer looking head with minor lacing.

Smell- Maybe a tad grassy, with a main smell of apples.

Taste- Didn't know what to expect. Wasn't expecting the sourness. With that in mind I continued to drink, but could barely finish the pint. Weird citrus flavors and maybe some type of vegatable flavoring as well.

Mouthfeel- Quite carbonated, almost like seltzer. Very spritzy.

Drinkability- Well, I guess no need to try anymore of this style, or at least this brand. Too out there more me. Almost tasted a bit salty.

GClarkage, May 09, 2005
2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

My first Berliner Weisse experience.

Poured into my Duvel Tulip

Looks straw. When originally poured, it had chill haze, which gradually disappeared as it got warmed up. Originally there was a 1/2 white foam.

Smells like some green tomato and sour apple smell. some bready yeast smell, which reminded me of lager beer.

Tasted like tart and lemony. also reminded me of tomato juice (but not so intense). slight wheat with a little rounded smoothy/silky touch on tongue. Tartness lingers on, but not too long. The flavor is very 1 dimensional tartness.

Very light on the mouthfeel. Silky touch.

Drinkability. OK. It is refreshing, but it does not make me feel wanting for more. My opinion may change if I had this in 30C weather (now it's 15C).

Takahiro, Oct 29, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

Man, this is an odd brew. Really different. Poured out to a nice light yellow color with a touch of cloudiness. No lace, but the head hung around for a bit. Odors of sweet malt and grain were noted. Flavor was very odd, sour and tart. This beer is sometimes mixed with flavored syrup, and I can see why, as on it's own it's not that great. Finished like balsamic vinegar. I would try this beer again if I had some of those syrups i've heard about. Not one of my favorites, but worth a try when you want to sample something different.

Frozensoul327, Aug 16, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -24.6%

A: Very clear, just a hair yellow. Low carbonation with large bubbles. Looks like a weak ginger ale.

S: It smells like the fried rice in chinese restaurants that goes into sizzling rice soup. Toasted rice. Just a tad sweet.

T: Wow, not what I expected at all. Very sour! Lemon, toasted rice, One of the most sour beers I've ever had.

M: A bit mouthpuckering from the sourness. Sharp carbonation, soda like.

O: Different and interesting but disappointing. It's just basically too sour. I could just suck on a lemon.

sfprint, Nov 04, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -24.6%

This beer poured a very faint pale golden, almost whitish yellow body with a small white head.

Quite an interesting nose. Very strong and pungent, although the smells don't come to mind right away. Rotting citrus, rubber cement, lemon without the acidity, wet earthy dirty roots and some fruit.

Tastes like watered down fruit juice mixed with an aged belgian golden ale at first. Light bodied but not dead. Slightly tart and mildly acidic. Very faint citrus peel hints, soft lemon juice and that's about it. Dry with even a faint saltiness.

I'd be interested to try this with raspberry or woodruff syrup, but honestly I wouldn't be expecting much. It's just a light refreshing substitute for water or a wine cooler. Basically this is a novelty that's only made for beer nerds still interesting in trying the style. An endangered species kept alive at a the beer zoo.

taez555, May 14, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -23.2%

Had without syrup, of course.

Pours a good champagney appearance, pale with bubbly head, voluminous at first and doesn't stick around. Translucent light saffron appearance, looks quite nice, really.

Smells vinous but with a distinct sour character to it. Has characters not unlike vinegar, with very little else to it. Smells sour; not disgusting, but not hugely beer-y and not all that appealing.

Yeah, slight sour character most of the way through the palate. Very dry, puckering mouthfeel with a hint of carbonation, with a lot of vinous characters. It is quite similar to drinking a chilled bottle of champagne that was, prior to being chilled, in the sun for too long. Vinegar and a puckering cider aspect, nicely complex but a bit of a struggle to get through.

It's not the most drinkable beer I've ever had, but it does have its charms.

laituegonflable, Jul 20, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

My first foray into the Berliner Weisse style....as expected it tastes true to form...as expected this isn't my cup of tea....I'm not a big fan of Lambics either and this is not a beer I could enjoy often...

Pours a light gold color...frothy 1/2 head....highly carbonated...nose is musty and vinegar like....the flavor is sour and tart...like sour green apples...also some lemon like puckeryness...not much else for flavors....just a lot of sourness...

Mouthfeel...sour....puckery...acidic...exactly as expected so I'll score it accordingly...

Drinkability is low for me...perhaps high for others but this isn't my thing...I have no interest into delving deeper into this beer style...this seems one dimensional, and I don't care for that dimension....more power to you if you enjoy this style, it's just not for me...I think this beer is pretty true to style and a decent example from what I've read...

ZAP, May 24, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance – This one is light orangish-yellow in color with a big head that literally disappeared in seconds. What a dud.

Smell – There’s almost no smell to this beer. I know it’s supposed to be delicate, but come on. I can pick up some faint citrusy notes but that’s about it.

Taste – The orange notes from the aroma turned into orange syrup at the taste. I can barely pick up some yeasty flavors (which saved the day) but otherwise there’s not much to this one.

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied fizzball was hard to hold in the mouth. The carbonation, which IMO is one of the most important aspects of a Weissbier, was cheap and fizzy like Alka-seltzer.

Drinkability – This is not even close to what I was expecting. I don’t know why I even finished the bottle.

RoyalT, Oct 12, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottles of the grun (green) and rot (red) served into a Berliner Kindl Weisse obese highball in Berlin. Reviewed from notes. I averaged my reviews of each syrupped type to come up with this review; no Berliner I've met drinks this without the syrup.

A: Pours a hazy green. You don't see that everyday.

Sm: Extra-light scent of generic barley.

T: Vermouth and apple. What in feck's name? Finish is sour apple. Built strangely to say the least.

Mf: Tasty, smacky, and nice. The finish drys her up a biteen.

Dr: Too strange, even for the style.

kojevergas, Dec 07, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

A - Cloudy pale yellow, almost looked like lemon juice. Poured with a small head, which all but disappeared after the first few sips.

S - Smelt similar to champagne, with a clear lemon aroma. Distinctive sour notes.

T - Incredibly sharp, to the point of making my eyes water a bit! Very obvious sourness to the flavour, which is cutting from the start. There is also a subtle floral taste to it.

M - The sharp sourness makes the mouth water; it felt almost like my salivary gland were going to fail.

D - The drinkability is low in my opinion, this is due to the intense sourness of the beer, which makes it hard to drink.

Not my type of beer but does have some positives, most notability the subtle floral taste, which unfortunately, to a certain extent is masked.

PartyBear, Jul 19, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

Raspberry version at Winking Lizard. Light yellow/golden color with a thin and bubbly white head. Thin, spotty lacing. Tart fruit and raspberry aroma. Light body with a sour character and citrus/raspberry flavor. Very little wheat to be found. The finish is dry, fruity and astringent. Below average all around.

Dogbrick, Jul 18, 2005
2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

sour and tart...even with the fruit syrup that came with it.
Pours a cloudy off-white color, with a good head...You know those little lemon containers with lemon juice, it tastes a little like that...I don't even find this crisp and refreshing...it's just hard to swallow...I like my share of weisse brews, but this is not that enjoyable. If you like this taste, by all means you should try it...I'll have to give it another shot sometime...
and it's hardly a beer with 2.5% abv. I'll stick with the better tasting full flavored Hefe's in the summertime.

WilliamPhilaPa, May 17, 2002
2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

I had heard great things about this beer on top of the fact that the brewery (and in turn the style) is now defunct, so I thought I had better review this while I had the chance.

The appearance was so clear it was like slightly yellow water with a thin white head and hella carbonation rushing to the top. Nothing to impressive. The head retention was quite good, though.

As far as the taste goes, it is a verrry sour apple taste. Not much else to it. I wouldn't even be able to begin to pick apart the maltiness/hoppiness of it all, not to mention the different yeast esters and whatnot since the sour apple was all I could taste. I was hoping for something much more drinkable, especially considering the extremely low ABV. I had a bad enough time trying to finish the bottle though. I had hoped to move on from Belgians to German beer, but I don't think this was the right choice for the job. I could easily say this is the second most disgusting beer I've had next to the Petrus Pale Ale but only because I was able to finish this one since it was slightly less acidic tasting. I don't know what I'll do with the remaining 5... perhaps try to pawn them off on my friends, or of course I would trade to somebody on this sight who actually likes it (afterall, this is one of the last batches of of the Berliner Kindle Weisse you will likely see, and I'd rather somebody who enjoys it have the pleasure of finishing the last batch).

neonbrown82, Feb 23, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

Light gold in colour and well carbonated with a slightly floral aroma along with some white grapefruit notes. Very sour citrus flavor with a lactic note and a short finish. Light mouthfeel. I normally enjoy sour flavors, and weizens are a favorite style of mine, but this one was a little too astringent to fully enjoy, and didn't have much complexity either.

fisherman34, Sep 16, 2005