Berliner Kindl Weisse - Berliner Kindl Brauerei

Berliner Kindl Brauerei visit their website
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  3.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)
3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

I had to try this beer after reading some about the style, I don't know if there will be another time when I get to try this style. The beer poured a pale golden color with a small fizzy head that went down to a mm size above the beer. Lots of bubbles raced to the top and they continued to do that for almost the whole time. The smell was quite sour and a bit wheaty. The taste was not near as sour as the smell. I still noticed the sourness but it wasn't like a gueze. The body was extremely light and airy. That left for an odd sensation of lightness combined with a sour aspect, I have never really experienced that. There was a slighly wheaty undertone to this beer as well. I actually really enjoyed it and would recommene everybody to try this once. Personally I don't see how the syrup would help this beer at all. It is so light that it seems like syrup would oversweeten it imo. The only true drawback to this beer is the price $3.29 for 11.2 oz. Is that normal!? Seemed a little outrageous (esp for a 2.5% abv beer). Still, I am glad i had it.

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer is one that a person should drink if they know what they are getting into with the style. I am a big Berliner fan, but others arent due to the sour/light taste. That said, if you like sour mashed beers, this is a pretty decent one. The appearance is very light, with slight carbonation. It is a 2.5% beer, so it would be difficult to expect much different.
The aroma gives you a slight hint at the sourness, but it is light as well.
The taste is sour, but not so much as to make you pucker. It is a very light beer that is great to drink after mowing the lawn, or just sitting outsiide on a summer day. I liken this much to a Radler on it being a great "Summer" drink (Not neccesarily the taste).
It is a very easy to drink beer. Like I said though, just understand before drinking it that it is a sour mashed brew.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

This is my first Berliner Weiss, so I'll keep my opinions modest. I had a bottle at my local pub, the Cock & Bull.

After reading about this style, I knew I had to try it. After all, how many beers are brewed with salt? I ordered it expecting a lambic-like brew. The publican, Howie, gave me a bit of woodruff syrup in case I wanted to dilute it. I only added the syrup near the end.

This beer is quite yellow and almost clear with a big foamy head. It has a sharp smell with sweet, fruity notes.

After expected a lambic-like sourness I was quite surprised to find this beer tasted quite different. While both styles are sour, this has a different type of sourness to it. It's very dry. At first the flavor seemed almost like cider. My two friends (one is my homebrewing colleague) tried it and hated it. This beer has a very acidic flavor. I'm glad I was expecting this, because if you just tried this beer blind you might think it had gone bad. It was better than I was expecting. Now for my impressions after adding the syrup: I felt it was too sweet. I'd recommend drinking this beer straight, especially if you haven't had it before.

With a 2.5 percent ABV, I now know why this beer's body is so light.

I'd recommend you try this beer as long as you know what to expect.

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

Aroma is a sour sweet mix with a fresh quality.
Pours with an enourmous chalk white head. Pale yellow and somewhat clear.
Flavor shows an almost biting sourness with a citrus fruity quality. The mouth seems to adapt and it became increasingly pleasurable the more I drank.
Fairly thin, but carbonation leaves nice sensation on tongue. Extremely refreshing quality.
Really an unique and enjoyable beer. Doesn't have to be just for summer. If it wasn't so expensive I'd buy it with some regularity.

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Very pale clear gold. Fine bright white 1/3 head settles to an incomplete cap. Persistent streams of very small bubbles.

Nose is soft slightly sweet malt. Touch of wheat bread as well. A bit flowery. Quite subtle and lovely.

Acid is the first impression on the palate, and is there throughout as the dominant feature. Its a nice sharp lactic acid. General graininess kicks in on the mid-palate and makes it through to the finish. Its all relatively subtly done and quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel is excellent, as the low level of carbonation just prickles through to provide some respite from the acidity, but doesn't overwhelm the very modest malt content. Very drinkable, and in quantity. A really pleasant companion for fatty sausage or cold cuts. 330 ml bottle. Best before date of 06/06.

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a light yellow prior to the syrup (green) being mixed. Color became light chartreuse with a full white head and fine carbonation. Head dies quickly and there is little lace. The aroma is tart and yeasty with some aroma hops. The flavor is tart and lemonade like (but low one sweet). Some hop bite follows up. Mouthfeel is tart and effervescent. A fun and refreshing beer.

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

Well, this is interesting. Small bottle, small alcohol content, served with raspberry syrup. Is this really beer? Pours a very pale yellow with a white foamy head that stuck around for a while. Did not get much lace though. Could not find much of a smell. The taste is primarily one sensation, sour. This stuff will make you pucker. I could say however that it was refreshing. This would be good to revisit in the summer. Even though it was so sour, I found it to be drinkable. The syrup was a nice touch, but I could have this plain. This was a very interesting experience. This beer can make you appreciate the wide arrays of taste that beer has to offer.

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%

This is the first beer that I have ever had with syrup. I drank this beer with a sour apple syrup. Its kind of hard for me to say what I think about this beer since its not really the conventional beer. Also, I have only tried it once and with the syrup so I couldn't tell you how it tastes straight from the bottle. The taste of it the way I had was sour and obviously fruity. It basically tasted like candy and not like a beer. I do, however like sour drinks and can't knock the taste. It was good for the experience but I'll have to try it without the syrup next time.

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%

Small, 11.1 oz. bottle. This is the first time I had a beer of this style. Poured a nice fill head that lasted a few minutes. Very clear, pale yellow color. Not much smell, picked up some malt as it warms. Taste,sour. Not bitter, more like a lemon. It almost makes you pucker up you lips. On a hot day, you would think you're drinking lemonaide. After you get past the initial sour shock, it's not hard to drink. At the low ABV, this could be a good hot day, drink more then a few, beer.

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Ghostly medium yellow haze, white head diminishes in 30 seconds. Marginal lace. Lightly yeasty aroma, slight shoe leather, interesting. Tightly tart, with a strange smokiness reminding me of peated malt in Scotch (without any alcohol sense). Moves into a brief sense of salty wheat paste and finishes diminished overall -- light lemon acidity. Spritzy mouthfeel. As a Beliner Weisse, its got the expected sourness, but not overbearing or with tons of aftertaste. My first beer for style, its OK, but I'm not sure a sweet fruit syrup would do much for me in here.

Source: Liquid Solutions

3.1/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a light, golden and crystal clear liquid. The head is a puffy, white, initially towering foam. The head quickly settles into stillness. Aroma is an intense and familiar wheat beer twang. Lemon rind and citrus are quite serious in the smell. Taste is slightly sour throughout...very refreshing. Light, sprtzy, and very drinkable. This would be fantastic on a dusy, dry, hot day.

4.43/5  rDev +27.3%

The beer poured pale straw with just an ever so slight haze. The head was white, but fell quickly. It did lace the glass.

The aroma is slightly nutty with a wheat aroma and pronounced sourness.

The flavor is sour with the softness of wheat. The beer is very crisp with a very slight nuttiness.

The finish is dry and fairly neutral with no lasting aftertaste. The body is light.

11.1 ounce bottle. Very, very refreshing. If Berliner Weiss is a style you enjoy, you can drink a ton of this.

This is the epitome of Berliner Weiss.

3.33/5  rDev -4.3%

light blond active liquid with a big bubbled head. a faint scent of wheat and corn husks, sugary sweet corn and butter. the flavor starts kind of like white vinegar and gets some wheat and grain on it in the middle but then tarts up like crazy and eventually leaves a bit of dry white wine flavors (pinot g or dry reisling) on the palate. the mouthfeel was bubbly and filling, active and refreshing. i didn't use any syrups or added flavorings but that might be a good idea, this was one unique beer. i had to think that the drinkability was average depending on the mood...when are you going to get in this mood, maybe never but it was a good beer all said and done.

2.42/5  rDev -30.5%

Drank clean. Pours a slightly hazy golden, with a small white head that quickly rushes to leave nothing behind. Aroma is strongly sour and citric. Flavor follows, with a mouth-puckering sourness, and bone dry finish. The sourness of this medium bodies brew sticks around forever. I can see this being somewhat refreshing if mixed with a syrup or something to offset the overpowering sourness.

3.1/5  rDev -10.9%

I had two bottles after an evening of trading, so I tried one without syrup and one with.
Straight: I can't say I liked what I found. I see by the description that the style is exactly as I experienced. Thin head dwindles to nothing over a pale yellow beer. Spritzy, with a very sour lemonade and grapefruit taste. Sourness overcomes any malts or hop impression. It was worth it to experience the style, but this won't become one of my favorites.
With raspberry syrup for sodas/coffee: Just a little splash made it nice and smooth. Though pinkish, of course, the tartness remaining gave it an edge over most raspberry beers. Probably might even be well matched with a 7-up.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: Very short 33cl (11.1 fl.oz.) “stubby” bottle, similar to the ones used for cheap French beer that is shipped to the UK by the ton. Simply labeled as Berliner Kindl Original Weisse. No Strength listed but Best Before 06.06 /L164BJ – whatever that means.

Appearance: Very pale gold color, almost a thin yellowy shade of urine. Rocky white head effervesces and soon rescinds to a lumpy scum covering that breaks up when left.

Nose: Acerbic, acetic nose mixed with some lemons and sharp grapefruits.

Taste: Salty beginning, with very sour tastes that battle with an acidic lemon tartness and some bitterness in the end. WTF? This is quite weird to say the least, yet strangely attractive and enticing in a way. Like a very sharp bitter lemon at times.

Mouthfeel: Light grainy texture with a grainy tingling sensation – a very tart beer that is extremely bad, misunderstood or just brilliantly unique.

Drinkability: A shock to the system that I actually got used to rather quickly, but one of these is enough.

Overall: I didn’t expect much from this, maybe it was the use of the rather tacky looking stubby bottle, but I was pleasantly surprised.

It’s supposed to be sampled with syrups, and I can understand why – but being a lambic fan I took this neat and enjoyed the salty sourness to its maximum effect. A tasty, rather unique little beer that was above average. But if you have a 6-pack, get some syrup, this is certainly by no means a session beer when drunk neat, even for lambic heads.

Wow, never ever thought I'd Review a 2.5% ABV Beer !!!

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Bright white foamy head, fades fast, leaves no head. Incredibly clear light wheat colored beer. Smells a little sour. Tart lemon flavor is dominant, there's a light weisse flavor in there somewhere. The body is very thin and the aftertaste is dry. Definitely wasn't expecting the tart flavor, but it's quite enjoyable.

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

This berliner kindl weisse beer was a very pale almost non-existant yellow colour with an ample, snow-white head. The aromas were of bananas, yeast, wheat, and lactose. The taste was citirc, light, wheaty, and sour/lactic all at once. The taste was a lactic blast of sourness in the face, melded nicely with some fruity yeast flavors. The mouthfeel is as light as it can be and the drinkability is quite excellent!

Cheers!

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

11.1 oz brown, short bottle, capped, no date.
Sampled neat, without any added fruit syrup.

This beer poured a clear, fizzy, yellow color with tall, creamy, white foam that clung to the glass a little bit. The smell was citrusy, with wheat, malt, and a very faint hint of sulfur(?). Overall not an unpleasant aroma. The taste was sout/tart with light malt, and a light fruitiness and some citrus. There was no hop presence detectable. There was a lingering slight tartness. The mouthfeel was smooth and tart, with thin body but good carbonation. This was a fairly refreshing wheat beer, but with thin body. I would like to sample it with some added fruit syrup.

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hate to be rude, but this beer is supposed to taste and smell like this - its appropriate for the style, so review it according the standard of the Berliner Weisse style.

Poured an extremely pale yellow, unfortunately looked like a Bud light, but did have lots of good, natural carbonation. No head but carbonation bubbles do create a boil of sorts. Small lacing, too. Smell was bready, yeasty, and lightly sour. Light fruit notes in there too, they just came on slowly once I adjusted to the big kick of sour. Taste is sour, closest to a bite of a lemon wedge but less acidic. Barely lactic, it was very refreshing even though it was a little metallic at the end, almost chalky for a second. Quick and small finish which was nice, made it very easy to throw back. Mouthfeel was firm with an almost fizzy action on the tongue on top of this sturdiness. Well done, proclaimed a world classic by many an experienced world quaffer, I can understand why despite it being a highly misunderstood style. Napoleon, upon rampaging through Germany, didn't call it "the Champagne of the North" for no good reason.

With the addition of the traditional raspberry syrup the beer was nicely completed. Only a sour and even beer like this could handle the addition of a high concentration and not throw strange flavors, though I’d prefer without.

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

Originally sampled on 22 February 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. It poured crystal clear pale yellow (the lightest colored beer I've ever seen) w/ a big white head fully of tiny bubbles. The flavor starts out very tart, but finishes smoothly. It's an interesting beer to try. One of these days, I'll try it w/ the syrup.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle indicated a "best-before" date of 4/2005. How can such a low abv beer have this long a shelf life?

Squat bottle with glass that is not quite brown and not quite green - olive? Should have gone with brown - aroma had a slightly skunked smell, but not enough to be off-putting. Hazy straw color. My first true sour wheat style (although I've had some wheats that turned out that way unintentionally). Lemony, mouth-puckering sour! Like wheat beer dosed with ascorbic acid, or sweet-tart candy. But I like it! Perfect for afternoon lounging on the patio - very refreshing. Despite the sourness, it finished quite clean and dry, and was most drinkable. A touch of the light-struck aspect turned up again at the finish, but I'm sure this would not be the case with a sample handled with more respect during shipping.

1.85/5  rDev -46.8%

I don't really know what to make of this, that subtle hit of sour is pretty much the only thing i liked about this, very light texture, with little development of any flavour, like sour lemonade, with a touch of grainy malt. My first Berliner weisse, and i'm a bit let down and confused.

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

My wife is from Germany and this is the only bier she drinks except for an Altbier with fruit in it which is known as an Altbier Bowle. Anyway I tried one in Germany a couple years ago dut didn't really remember it that well until tonight when I finally located a six pack and the authentic raspberry syrup that is served with it. The beer is very light in color and looks almost like an american lager. I tried it first without the raspberry and found it very tart and sour with a hint of citrus and apple. Not really refreshing in anyway for me. Next we added the syrup and mixed it up. About 2 oz. seemed like the right amount. The combination of tartness and sweetness is a nice blend. This time I taste green apples. This is a most unusual drink and is worth trying once. It is also served with a green syrup made with the herb woodruff. My scoring is based on the beer with raspberry syrup added.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Heavily diluted pale straw with a short lived white cap.
Nose of DIll pickles and wheat hulls.
A shockingly tart blast of concentrated lemon juice begins things. Turns even more acidic by the time it hits the esophagus, leaving a lingering impression of bile. The next sip replaces it with some under-ripe bitter grapefruits. A whole different grapefruit sensation than the PacNW hops we are all used to. Dressed with a vinaigrette. Toss in a dab of dijon mustard, and a spoonful of cider. Completed by a shadowy wheat husk that arrises late.
Very light bodied, with a few streams of carbonation.
Once the initial sourness is overcome, this is quite drainable.
I like it.