Berliner Kindl Weisse - Berliner Kindl Brauerei

Berliner Weissbier |  3.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

My first taste of this style, poured to a pint glass from a 33cl bottle. Date is a little unclear, though it appears to be best by "03/07"(?). Picked this up last weekend at Market of Choice just outside Portland. Drinking this straight, without the schuss of raspberry or woodruff syrup. Maybe next time...

A: Pale/watery wheat with a slight unfiltered yeasty haze. Vigorous carbonation races aggressively to a 1-finger fizzy white head. Head dies down over 90 seconds, maybe 2 minutes, to a wisp of film. Eventually head is gone completely and there is no lace. But carbonation just keeps coming...

S: Funky tartness, mild ripe sweet/sour fruit (cherries or berries), a faint spiced wheat and a bit musty. Smells appealing, in its own special way...

T: Wow, that's interesting! Immediate acidic tartness of green apples. Following is a mouthfull of fresh, lightly spiced wheat. Fruitiness is of raspberry and a little melon rind. All the flavors, mingle and roll around in the mouth, defying my attempts to pick out what predominates. Is it tart, is it yeasty wheat, is it sweet?

M: One of the crispest mouthfeels I can recall - refreshingly light and perfectly defining "summer". Carbonation is less active in the mouth, but serves to help coat the cheeks and tongue. Carbonation is more notable in the gut...nice burps...

D: I will crave this terrific little beer - extremely drinkable! It's evocative of the Belgian gueuze style (which I really like) in its crisp tartness, though lighter in the mouth and more approachable. I read in Michael Jackson's "Great Beer Guide" that Napoleon's troops dubbed this beer "The Champagne of the North"...I can see the similarities, though at just 2.5% ABV this won't go straight to your head like champagne. At least I hope not... highly recommended.

3.61/5  rDev +3.7%

Cute little bottle purchased at the Comeback Inn.

Appearance – Light yellow, cloudy, with a thin white head that immediately dissipates to nearly nothing.

Nose – Fowl aroma of dirty wheat. Slightly tart and growing ever more so as it warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Heaven on Earth. Light, fruity, and ever so tart. My first experience with the style and certainly a winning one. Some sourness too. This is very good. Warmth adds to the sourness tremendously. The final sips are just to die for palate wise. Not much in the way of flavor though, just hints of wheat, fruity yeasts, and sourness. I can’t say I mind to much. I like the feel so much, and the light refreshing body, that I could go on drinking several of these.

Drinkability: Very high if you like sour/tart beers.

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Served "mit schusse" at Resi's in Chicago.

Arrives in a wide, squat, logo glass. It looks as if a liter mug were cut off 1/3 of the way. Ordered the himbeer syrup to go with it, but tasted it first without it.

Smells bready, yeasty, like baking soda. Very clean tartness, a nice crisp snap to it. Color is a clear amber. With the addition of the syrup, it takes on a cloudy, crimson tone.

Taste has the tart, snappy crispness from the bacteria present, with a bready overtone. Can't really pick out any hops. Syrup adds a raspberry seed fruitiness, and compliments the drink well, suprisingly. Good carbonation, tart but not especially dry on the palate. One is good, it seems like more of a "dessert" beer. Bartender relayed the tale that this was originally developed as a low-alcohol beer for children in Germany...

3.47/5  rDev -0.3%

Presentation: 11.1 oz short bottle, six pack carrier has instructions about serving with syrup or orange juice, I'm drinking it straight.

Appearance: Completely clear yellow, average head fades quickly. Looks like your average macro lager - I'm hoping to be surprised!

Smell: Definitely a bit of funk in the aroma - yum. Hard to describe since it so much different than most offerings, but it is a bit tart and has a bit of bleu cheese to it. Some over ripe fruit as well.

Taste: Definitely odd - I like the sour beers I have tried, but this is a bit different. The only other berliner weiss' I have tried have been at brewfests where my pallet was shot, so I'm not sure. It is not overly sour, but more of a funk taste than I expected. Those terms like horse blanket seem to apply here.

Overall impression: Definitely an interesting beer - pretty expensive, but I was happy to get the opportunity to pick up a six pack.

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

FIRST TRIAL: This is only the second Berliner Weisse I've had, but I enjoyed it very much (I enjoyed the first too). But, I am a big fan of sour, so I might be slightly upwardly biased toward this beer. The beer poured a clear yellow with very little head. There wasn't a whole lot in the aroma, but what little there was faintly fruity with just a touch of malt sweetness. The flavor though was entirely different. There was a great light fruitiness, just a little wheat, and lots of sour. The best part was that no matter how long you held the beer in your mouth, the sour flavor seemed to stick around. The finish leaves a sourness in the bottom of your jaw that makes you salivate. Very glad that I got to try this beer and I'll continue to look for other Berliner Weisse brews.

3.82/5  rDev +9.8%

I thought this beer was good, and definitely sour. It re-defined what the Berliner Weisse style means to me.

Appearance is slightly hazy, but still transparent. Very little head. Aroma is like a heifeweizen plus sourness. Taste is "rough" and unrefined at first, but provides full-on sourness. Despite the sourness I thought this beer was quite light and drinkable.

Up to this point, I thought that only American Berliner Weisses were sour and that European beers of this style were somehow more traditional and boring. This beer has provided me a central point of what the real deal is like for this style.

2.97/5  rDev -14.7%

11.1 oz. bottle- color of clear yellow , with a frothy head - nose of white wine vinegar straw , hay , and eggish thing going on – taste of brine , hay , dry straw , and red wine vinegar - body light , medium carbonation , and acidic – aftertaste of vinegar , and acidic

1.33/5  rDev -61.8%

Poured into a pils glass it forms an easily managed white head that has good staying power. Partially cloudy, yellow, highly carbonated body.

This had me puckering up a bit, espcially on the first pull as my palate adjusted it was easier to take. Its a light bodied brew that has some vinous characteristics. Grain and pale malt are detectable, leaning towards raw grain. Very thin and watered.

Notes: If this is any indication of the others within this style I think I'll steer clear. A tart tasting light beer is what it tasted like and it really just doesn't fit well together. I would probably prefer this with the syrup and if I can get my hands on some I would try this again. For now, straight up, Pass.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served straight - no syrup.

Very vaguely cloudy, champagne-yellow colour, withb a loose-bubbled, highly carbonated head. Head dissipates to a loose ring. Good lacing.

Sour apple juice/cider vinegar nose. Hints of grassiness, and an odd smell of fresh egg whites, which is not unpleasant, despite how unusual it is.

Not as mouth-puckeringly sour on the palate as I expected, rather more like an oxidised white-wine sourness, or the lightly acidic flavour of selzer water. It has the astringent constricting quality on the mouth, but not the flavour of over sourness. It's rather pleasant, in a rather unusual way. Or maybe I should say it's unusual in a rather pleasant way.

Less character than I expected, but possibly more drinkable as a result. Unfortunately disappointing for the most famous Berliner Weiss, but I'll try it sometime fresh in Berlin.

3.33/5  rDev -4.3%

Had this at Zeke's in Dowagiac. Served in a weiss glass with raspberry syrup in a small shot glass on the side. Looked golden and slightly flat with a fleeting white head. After the syrup went in, it looked like Kool Aid. Odor was sweet and had a slight sour wheatiness. Syrup added a raspberry odor, unremarkably. Taste without syrup was sour and fizzy and tartly wheaty. Syrup added a slight fruitiness and toned down the tartness but otherwise didn't change much. Bubbly mouthfeel. Altogether it was a nice drink. I'd even have it again if i saw it and knew it was fresh. Curious to try it in Berlin now.

[Score is averaged from two tastings, one without syrup and one with. Also, bottle is a newer design than currently pictured, and clearly states the ABV is 3%]

My wife is a born-and-raised German and insists the only way Germans drink this beer is out of a goblet/chalice through a straw, with a kind of fruit syrup added. She has never even tasted it by itself, without the syrup. I did:

w/o syrup:
A: Exceedingly pale & light with a tiny head.

S: Sour, very much like white wine, yeasty/bready.

T: Almost on a lambic level in its tartness and sour finish. Yeasty funk abounds.

M: Crisp and dry, scatters across the tongue like champagne.

D: Kinda untamed and wild without the traditional syrup addition. Will try that now:

w/syrup (himbeer [raspberry] syrup by Riemerschmid from Munich):
A: Beautiful frothy milk-white head, with a cloudy, dirty plum color.

S: Raspberry out front with yeasty, doughy background.

T: Sour, raspberry flavor incorporates well, bready, somewhat lactic. Delicious.

M: Soft milkiness with generous tingling from the carbonation.

D: Delicious, a definite summer refresher...which my wife and I enjoyed on a mild winter's day...

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

If you want an introduction into sour beers this is where you should start.

Pours out of the little stubby bottle a pale golden straw color with an immense bright white head. Very active carbonation in this one....tons of bubbles fighting their way to the top.

Aroma is only slightly sour. German pale malts, crisp grains, sweet apples and a light vinegar scent all blend together well.

The first sip was an expected pucker producer. Sweet, tangy, but not as sour as some other ones I have tried. I should have started here and worked my way up. There is a fruity tartness to it that is rather enjoyable...like a nice sour green apple but not to the point of being like a bottle of Éphémère.

Crisp, clean, refreshing thin body. Tingly carbonation. This would be a nice sipper on a hot summer afternoon. I'm still not totally sold on the sour brews so that is why it's only a 3 for drinkability to me.

For what it is, though, this is as good an example to be found.

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Berliner Kindl Original Weisse Schankbier ABV 2.5% • Vol 330 ml
The things you do to learn BJCP styles! Usually served with green-herb or red fruit syrup (Waldmeister or Himbeer) to moderate the intense lactic acid from Lactobacillus delbruekii used along with ale yeast in fermentation. We drank it straight.

Berliner Kindl Weisse is filtered, and less complex than Schultheiss Berliner Weisse is bottle-conditioned but almost unknown outside the area in and around Berlin.

Few Berliners would drink the beer in this form - it's regarded as too sour without a dash of raspberry or woodruff syrup - but for anyone who enjoys traditional lambics or citron pressé, it's an experience not to be missed. A typical glass is a broad cup with foot, into which first the syrup is served. "Afterwards with momentum a half bottle is cast in and the remainder is slowly after-given. Thus the firm cremige Schaumkrone develops." (Looses somewhat in the electronic translation.)

Pours pale straw colour with a slight cloudiness: it is in fact bottle-conditioned, with a modest sediment. The bubbly head soon declines to minor lace hinting of its claim as the "champagne of the north". The aroma is sour, slightly candyish and bready also suggesting this claim. Tart, but smooth honeyish undertones, and slightly woody and vegetal, the result of a complex fermentation involving both top-fermenting and lactic strains of yeast. No hops detected although hop extract is used in moderation, a most enjoyable finish that is lengthy and complex: there's a crisp, green apple quality with tastes of yeastand bone-dry white wine. The tartness persists throughout, but is always softened by underlying honeyed tones. A refreshing taste of brewing history and well worth the search.

4.23/5  rDev +21.6%

It took me a while, but I finally located a six pack of this on the upper upper shelf of the *domestic* selection at Jungle Jim's and snatched it up immediately.

Presentation: 33cL squat bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a very striking bright, but slightly hazy pale gold with a volumous white, foamy head that stuck around for a long time. A very good looking beer.

Aroma: Has that familiar German pale malt aroma, grainy and lightly sweet, along with wheaty aromatic goodness and an assertive tartness in the nose.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The German pale barley and wheat malts play together very well, providing the lightly sweet and tangy backbone, which is then accented by the lactic sourness. The tartness is just right and goes perfectly with the light mouthfeel and crisp carbonation.

Notes: I was astounded by this supremely refreshing and drinkable beer. Truly, this may be the most drinkable beer I've come across, and at 2.5% ABV, you can drink this at just about any time of the day and it will not matter.

Further Notes: I made a red raspberry syrup for this beer. I added just a bit (about a tablespoon) to the glass first, then poured the beer into it. It was a spectacular red with a huge, pink foamy head that *never* went away. The sweetness balanced the tartness a bit, but not completely, and the raspberries contributed only mere hints of their flavor. I definitely like it better by itself, but it's worth giving a raspberry syrup a try.

4.7/5  rDev +35.1%

This beer has two glaring, GLARING flaws that prevent it from getting a damned-near-perfect score.

The first flaw: 0,33L. What? That is SUPPOSED to read 0,5L as der Gott im Himmel hath ordained!!! This beer is far too good to be served in such measely portions.
As for the second, well, I'll get to that one as I go.

Appearance: Have you ever seen a woman and time stopped? The whole world fades out of focus as you stare at her (possibly at the junction between the English wing and the main wing . . . but that's my experience) as it tkaes your breath away and you want to sob for the sheer beauty of what you are witnessing? This beer looks like the rest of the world in this situation. From my Dom Koelsch (Ja ja, scheissbier, klappe!) glas, this beer resembles the rest of the world in that incredibly bittersweet moment. A hazy golden sheen, nothing could be more tragic, nor more beautiful.

Smell: A beautiful medly with many parts. Rich, snap-crackle-pop German malts, fully rich barley as you'd expect from the most perfect pilsner. STOP Rich, tangy wheat, complex and spicy. A quick hint of the forbidden STOP. The sour twang of regret. The unmistakable mark of lactobacillus!

Taste: Ahhh, have you ever percieved a moment of perfection? Gorged on Glory? Sipped on the supple nipples of Nike? The only complaint I could possible lodge is that it isn't sour enough (the SECOND FLAW) but I have been foraging my beer cabinet for La Folie for some time (Thanks ColoradoBobs! (tm)). So, of course, this is no Flanders Red (the malt is too beautiful and plays to prominent a role) this is no Gueze (No mouldy cheese), this is truly einzigartig! Ahhh. In short, the taste follows smell and what a wonderful suit to follow!

Mouthfeel: A tad thin. Eh, it's a bugbier, these things are OK. Emminently drinkable.

Drinkability: Are you kidding? Michael Jackson says this is the most drinkable style in the world and I agree.

Back to the liquor store to buy a case.

Love at first sip.

Love at first sip.

Note: Drank a lot of Himbeerweiss before I reached the age of majority. May be pre-disposed towards thinking this beer is awesome.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Nice light golden color with thin head
S- tart green apple and wheat/grass
T- Fairly tart, once again green apple flavor with light hop character
M- med bodied, good carbonation
D- fairly good, see notes blow

This beer was my 2nd at the Brick Store in Atlanta, and I picked it mainly for the low ABV since I had a fairly strong beer earlier. They served it in the bottle with a wide mouth glass containing a shot of Raspberry juice. I poured the beer and evaluated it without the raspberry. A definite green apple tartness was evident. It was very crisp with good carbonation. I added the shot of juice to it and the character changed dramatically. The tartness of the beer balanced very well with the sweetness of the raspberry juice. This was a very refreshing beer served this way. Without the shot the beer was good but my tastes don't tend too much toward the tartness that this beer displayed. I would drink it again but not in mass quantities.

3.92/5  rDev +12.6%

Very excited to try this style that I've never even heard of before today... thanks to Andy's in Bogota for having one bottle on hand that is about to wind up in my belly.

Served in a Trappists Rochefort wide-mouthed glass at fridge temperature. Best Before End: 03/07.

Appearance- From what the style suggests, the beer pours a clear pale straw with just a faint head that disappears rather quickly. Transparency here is remarkably obvious, this appears thin as could be.

Smell- A fresh, husky aroma is first on the scene, with a snappy citric undertone that carries the nose nicely.

Taste- Wow, what a refreshing beer... the light, clean, fruity tartness is a welcome change to most beers I've sampled recently. It makes for a terrific aperitif, or it could accompany a cold appetizer or salad quite well... I only hope I can find this again to pair it with food. The tart afterglow on the teeth is exceptionally interesting.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Crackly and swift, the mouthfeel here is very much alive... yet the soft, fruity palate eases its effects and it feels totally appropriate. When I read the ABV was 2.5%, I was amazed to find a beer this low in strength... so I wasn't expecting much in the way of character. However, this is delicious and quenching, with effortless drinkability. Very glad to have tried this.

3.77/5  rDev +8.3%

.33 l bottle with "best before" 3/2007.

A: Apple juice color, .25" head, bubbly
W: Cider smell, apples, citrus
T: Almost ciderish, fresh, clean
MF: Light bodied and fizzy
D: Refreshing, very drinkable

This is probably not a beer I will have again, but for what it is it is very good. If you are a cider drinker and looking for an introduction into good beer this would be a great starting point.

2.88/5  rDev -17.2%

This beer has a white yellow color with a bog frotty head. Color is a sort of unnatural yellow and the beer is hazy of the yeast.

Smell is acidic, lactic acid, with some wheat notes. The smell is fresh on the one hand, but stale on the other.

Taste is adstringent lactic acidity and has a citric lemon bite. Slight huskyness and some malt, but very much on the background. No bitterness could be detected. It is dry and has a very light and rather empty body. Drinkability is not great, I only get a dry mouth and there is not enough taste.

I can imagine that this can be enjoyable on a hot summernight, but for me it is just a bit too acidic and empty.

3.55/5  rDev +2%

This was my first Berliner Weissbier. It was intense and yet an enjoyable experience.

Appearance: Pours a hazy straw yellow with a big bleach white head and loads of active carbonation bubbles.

Smell: Much bigger aroma than I expected from a beer with a 2.5% ABV. I had very little expectations for this beer and I was pleasantly surprised. The aroma of pale malts and fruity green apples and drop of apple cider vinegar seem pleasant. Is there wild yeast in there or am I extrapolating too much. Nice nose, wild but nice.

Taste: *EXTREAMLY* astringent acidity. So much so that the first sip brought on a massive pucker and an "Oh my!" exclamation. The lemon tart and dry dry dry really grab the palate like a leach! Green apple sour and splash of vinegar made it difficult to determine if there were any other intricate flavors present because it was so over run by sour. I understand they typically serve this beer with syrup to help balance out the sour, I now understand why.

Mouthfeel: It is almost to sour to enjoy holding in the mouth but it is spritzy and active with a bubbly texture that is smooth in the finish and clean.

Drinkability: Reviewing this beer neat I would give it a lower drinkability because of the intense acidity. In the last swallow I did add a splash of Chambord Liquor. Not enough to edit the review but enough to realize this beer can use an additive. I generally frown upon adding anything to my beer but a bit of sugar will do some good in this case. Next bottle I get goes on top of a shot of Champord. I suggest trying it both ways.

Hope this is helpful.

3.91/5  rDev +12.4%

This review is without the syrup, with notes following it with the addition of some Himbeer (raspberry syrup).

Poured into a tulip glass:

Pours golden straw yellows with a white head that vanishes after a short while, as is expected for the style, but leaves a white lace along the rim.

The smell was of bready yeast and a hint of wheat grains.

A pungent tartness is mixed in with a sourness. It has a breadiness to it, mainly from the yeast. It's pretty powerful taste, yet basic.

Despite the tartness, it leaves a clean, refreshing feel. A spritzy carbonated feel is left in the mouth.

A good choice for an occassional summer treat or when wanting a beer with low abv.

Personally, I prefer it with some syrup, though it's also good alone.
The Himbeer gave it a smoothness and sweet raspberry fruitness and added some complexity to it.

4.18/5  rDev +20.1%

Berliner Kindl Weiße is best served at colder temperatures (45-50F) and traditional served in a short tumbler or goblet with a straw. BKW pours up light & spritzy with a pillowy white head atop a lightly turbid, very pale/straw-golden effervescent body. The head dissapates rather quickly leaving a barm of lace in its wake. The somewhat fruity (e.g. citrus, lemongrass) & decidely grainy/wheatberry aroma shows just a hint of the sharp sourness to come. The taste starts off cleanly with a very light graininess then gives into some aformentioned fruitiness, but carries into a sharply dry, somewhat acidic (lactic) finish. There's no bitterness to speak of and virtually very little alcohol which makes for a surprisingly refreshing beer for the open minded. This light bodied, low-alcohol sourish wheat beer makes for a great quencher after a long, hot summer day. For a special treat, try serving this one "mit Schuß" by adding a splash of raspberry (Himbeer), lemon (Zitrone) or woodruff (Waldmeister) syrup (Getränkesirup). Another older variation is called Weiße mit Strippe, which is mixed with a small amount of caraway schnapps (Kümmel) or grain spirit (Korn). I've also seen this one served with apple (Apfel) schnapps. Here's to the "Champagne of the North"!

PROST! Beertracker

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I've never had a Berliner Weiss, so I picked one of these up on a whim.
Pours a golden yellow color...but is filtered and clear. Looks a lot like a low carbonation pils to be honest.
Smells like clovers and a little honey. Nothing like a Hefe at all, actually.
Flavor is sour! Remnicent of a lambic. The strange thing is once you swallow - the flavor is gone instantly. Your mouth is left with a sweet honey flavor. It's oddly addictive and makes you want more.
Mouthfeel is what is should be. Light and easy to drink.
I like this beer more each sip. It's not great, but it's good and very light. This would make a wonderful summer lawnmower brew.

3.07/5  rDev -11.8%

Berliner Kindl Weisse pours a pale yellow with a white head from a brown 33cl bottle. Lactic acid is noticeable in the aroma. Well now, that's completely different from any beer I've tried. Quite sour, but not in an offensive way. Not something I'd drink often, but quite interesting. Definitely worth a try, your mileage may vary on this one.

3.37/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a light gold color, with a little head that quickly fades. Only slightly cloudy, otherwise it would look like a macro lager.

Aroma is muted and slightly acidic. Very little here to speak of.

Flavor is quite tart, but refreshing on a hot afternoon. Fairly weak wheat flavor, but it is present. Yeast seems to dominate the flavor profile, but it is still overshadowed by the tartness. Mouthfeel is light and thin, while drinkability is decent.

I wish I had some of the syrup that is supposed to go with this. Some Framboise or woodruff would really make this pop, and much more enjoyable. By itself, it just tastes like something is missing.

EDIT: After looking around the apartment for a while, I found some fruit punch, and added about two shots worth into my mostly full glass. I'm quite impressed how well this little amount of sweet juice woke up this beer. Despite the addition of the fruit flavors, this really allows the yeast and wheat flavors to come through, since the tartness has disappeared. Much improved with the little addition of sugar.

Berliner Kindl Weisse from Berliner Kindl Brauerei