Berliner Kindl Weisse - Berliner Kindl Brauerei

Berliner Kindl Brauerei visit their website
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  3.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)
3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

A: Straw-colored liquid with an enormous light fluffy white head that sinks fast, leaving only small lacings.

S: Light smell. Citric notes, faint wheat. Acidic, sour and spicy.

T: Very acidic and sour. Spices and only faint wheat.

M: Aftertaste is decent, acidic. Body is light and carbonation is very rich, quite offensive.

D: This is no favourite of mine. To acidic for my taste.

Evil_Pidde, Aug 17, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

It's a very pale beer beneath a very bright white head which disappears quickly and leaves only minimal lacing, and it smells like wheat funk, vinegar and lemon.

The taste is definitely something you have to get used to, and something you will either ultimately love (me) or hate (most people, I would suspect). It's acid, tart, sour, a little bit citrusy, crisp, but really there's one note here and it's sour lactic acid playing with a dry finish and forcing you to come back for more.

A good summer quencher to my tastes, but you have to know what you're getting into.

lstokes, Jun 15, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful blonde colour with fizzy white head. I had this without fruit and from original glass ware.

The smell and taste are sour and acidic with grapefruit notes and faint spice.

The sour taste can be overpowering at times but I did drink this much faster than I thought I would and really enjoyed it.

DerBayer, Mar 07, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +14%

A - Light/pale straw color with a small and quickly disappearing head.

S - Tart/sourness is the first thing that hits the nose, much like a lemon. Behind that is a grainy and wheat smell.

T - When it first hits the tongue, there is a rush of tart and sourness. Reminiscent of lemon and tart green apple. Just as in the scent, there is also a wheat flavor as a background. This isn't really like a Hefe (in terms of banana and spice) but it does provide some sweetness and bready flavors that go well with the tartness. Taste a lot like a fresh lemonade that isn't too sweet.

M - Has some creaminess (from the wheat). Light to medium bodied. The tartness creates a slight puckering but not much.

D - I think it is quite refreshing actually, in the same way lemonade can be refreshing. It can have a slight puckering effect but it makes you want to keep drinking it. And with the ABV it has, you could drink it all day.

Notes: I had it without any syrup, and enjoyed it. Not something I would necessarily want everyday, but I could see wanting one on a hot summer day.

FreshHawk, Feb 16, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

I have tried Dogfish's Festina Peche on a previous occasion, and found the delicate, sour flavor I've read about in these beers really enjoyable.
Picked up this beer in Freising, also had the choice pre-mixed with waldmeister (woodruff) syrup, or raspberry. I want the pure one first.
Pours out an extremely light, lemony tone of golden hay. Head fizzes and settles very quickly. High carbonation actively moves around in the light toned glass, actively fizzing.
Smells sour, lemony, with a slight lactic smell reminescent of buttermilk. It's subdued, yet light, tart, and funky. Its as if a Brett yeast was able to work a half-cycle, leaving it's sour, funky smell, but not in a forward manner.
Wow! It's as if someone squeezed a fresh lemon over the beer. Tart, lemony, lactic ending slightly funky with a floral flavor reminiscent of hibiscus tea. The light, tongue tingling flavor remains in my mouth for quite some time.
This beer is extremly light, both in alcohol and body, but really packs quite a flavorful sour punch. The main critic point is that the sourness is enjoyable, and I find the flavor intruging, but seems a bit one note. I would like a bit more complexity from the tartness--but that being said, a very traditional style, made to be enjoyed without too much debate over the subtle complexities. Very refreshing

czfreeman, Jan 26, 2010

My first berliner weiss, so please excuse any ignorance.

Purchased from the Beers of Europe web store, and enjoyed while doing some barbecuing in my dad's garden.

Drank without syrup, and surprising enjoyable for doing so. Pours a hazy yellow with a short-lived white head. Evidently spritzy carbonation is the first of many similarities to champagne. Citrusy, sour nose, with a strong resemblance to a dry white wine. The taste up front is nicely puckering, but never overwhelming. Throughout it reminds me of a dry champagne in every aspect of its flavour, from the lemon sharpness, to the slight breadiness and through to the dry finish. An interesting beer and certainly good for this summer's day. As I mentioned, the carbonation is spritzy and very forward, which is paired with a medium-light, quenching body.

I wasn't sure I would like this style, but now I'm intrigued to try more. There's something incredibly refreshing about this berliner weiss, and the sourness brings up fond memories of lambics. I'm not sure how this beer compares to the rest of the style but it gets a thumbs up from me!

bobsy, Sep 08, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -23.2%

Had without syrup, of course.

Pours a good champagney appearance, pale with bubbly head, voluminous at first and doesn't stick around. Translucent light saffron appearance, looks quite nice, really.

Smells vinous but with a distinct sour character to it. Has characters not unlike vinegar, with very little else to it. Smells sour; not disgusting, but not hugely beer-y and not all that appealing.

Yeah, slight sour character most of the way through the palate. Very dry, puckering mouthfeel with a hint of carbonation, with a lot of vinous characters. It is quite similar to drinking a chilled bottle of champagne that was, prior to being chilled, in the sun for too long. Vinegar and a puckering cider aspect, nicely complex but a bit of a struggle to get through.

It's not the most drinkable beer I've ever had, but it does have its charms.

laituegonflable, Jul 20, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

A - Cloudy pale yellow, almost looked like lemon juice. Poured with a small head, which all but disappeared after the first few sips.

S - Smelt similar to champagne, with a clear lemon aroma. Distinctive sour notes.

T - Incredibly sharp, to the point of making my eyes water a bit! Very obvious sourness to the flavour, which is cutting from the start. There is also a subtle floral taste to it.

M - The sharp sourness makes the mouth water; it felt almost like my salivary gland were going to fail.

D - The drinkability is low in my opinion, this is due to the intense sourness of the beer, which makes it hard to drink.

Not my type of beer but does have some positives, most notability the subtle floral taste, which unfortunately, to a certain extent is masked.

PartyBear, Jul 19, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Not what i was expecting, maybe my own ignorance. I thought I was going to get a wheat beer but it's really more of a sour than anything else. It's typically served with soda or fruit infusion but I got it plain. It would have been better if that's what I was looking for. Not great with food.

david18, Jul 13, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

330 ml bottle in Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin

Hazy golden with dense creamy head that slowly fades to dense patchy layer at the top of the glass, some downsliding lacing. Aroma seemed to contain mild vinegar notes that soon gave way to sour green apples, lime; I also felt it reminded a bit of old and slightly dusty cellar.

Taste is tart fruit, mostly apples that can be more felt in the slightly less acidic aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light with less than average carbonation.

Overall, I enjoyed the beer, especially the refreshment it provided on a hot June day in the middle of Berlin.

atis, Jun 15, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Poured a rather clear banana-yellow with a frothy white head that was moderately lasting but didn't leave much lacing behind.

S: On the nose was some sour fruit that was most noticeable with lingering dry grains and a dried lemon sourness.

T: The initial flavor started out very sweet, with a buttery malt flavor with a huge sour citric tartness. In between there is some green apples as well. Sour lemons and oranges provide a nice tartness to the palate while a lingering a big citric bite is found on the finish.

M: The mouthful and body are thin with a fizzy carbonation bite that brings out the tart citric nature of the beer.

D: Low abv so you can drink all day, but the flavor is only moderatlty good and would get boring after a few.

beerthulhu, Nov 22, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer is not like its traditional Bavarian counter parts. It has a very pale yellow colored body with lots of bubbles to support its white head. The taste and smell are both sweet but more tart. The aroma is a little earthy and citric. It still has a wheat like taste but I would have to say it is a sour and sort of like a wit. It has a very fruity taste I'm not quite sure what fruit to compare it to. We'll just leave it at fruity. The body is thin and easy to drink.

MTNboy, Nov 21, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

33cl Stubby

Best by: 08/09

3% abv

A big thanks goes out to BitterBill for this treat, thanks again Bill! Berliner Kindl Weiss pours like a freshly squeezed lemonade clone, pale yellow with that hazy white appearance from the yeast. Streams of carbonation bubbles explode to the surface from different points on the sides of the glass. The head is off white and creamy; finally settling to a thick cap and skim coat. A quick swirl brings the foam right back. The head has the habit of leaving behind drink lines that eventually slide back into the body of the brew. This beer looks refreshing.

Damp somewhat funky smelling wheat jumps from the glass but before I know better I'm hit with a lime-aid sort of tartness. Lemon, lime, and green apple all jump around in this brew creating a nice complexity in the nose for such a low abv. I'm not totally sure where it's coming from but there's a spiciness in this beer that I'd guess is coming from the yeast.

The nose was a good introduction to this beer. Lemon lime tartness washes over the tongue right away before the malted wheat makes a stand. The wheat brings a bit of funkiness to the flavor with the dampness. Green apple tartness shows up mid palate but the overall tartness of this beer hits right up front and fades as the beer works through. This Berliner Weiss brings a lot of complexity and flavor for a beer with 3% abv.

My cheeks pucker a little as soon as this beer hits my tongue and the tartness awakens the taste buds. The body is light and the carbonation fast moving enough to keep this beer flowing without interruption.

This beer is highly drinkable. Each sip has a lingering tartness that keeps me coming back for more. I'm a little upset to see my glass is near empty. The low abv and tart drinkability make this beer a candidate to waste the day with.

There aren't many Berliner Weiss beers out there but I really enjoy the ones I have sampled. Thanks to Bill for knocking another of the list for me. Appreciated Bill, thanks again!

joe1510, Nov 08, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

First off, my bottle says it is 3.0%abv and the best by date is listed as 08.09

It pours a cloudy lemonade colour with a small but stubborn head of foam. Good lacing.

The smell is sweet and sour with apple scents bring both to the table.

The taste has a nice tart apple punch with some yeastiness and earthy malt tones that I notice mostly when I swish the beer in my mouth. Some slight vinegar like sourness there as well and it makes my mouth pucker a bit but I like this overal drinking experience.

Mouthfeel is light as is the carbonation.

This is definitely different from anything I've had up until now and being one who likes tart/sour brews, this one satisfied me and...is very drinkable. The label says, made with water, gerstenmalz, weizenmalz, hop extract, and wheat. I won't argue with that...

Bitterbill, Oct 15, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -4%

This is my first time to try this beer style, "Berliner Weisse". Really don't know what to expect. 3%abv., BB 01/09, served chilled in a pilsner glass.

A: pours an extremely pale honey-drink or lemonade like straw colour, semi-murky; the lively carbonation full of tiny bubbles supports a very tight, egg-shell-ish white pillow on top.
S: a dusty note and sour-sweet lemon peels precede a salty-sweet fruity body with a light touch of wet cardboard paper, sticky oxidised sugar, and light white-wine vinegar. So different from any wheat beer I've tried, with a higher proportion of saltiness in the mixture.
T: tart & salty star-fruits, lemonades, white grapefruits, then fast settling down to a rather dry, salty, semi-musty and zesty yeastiness more like a spontaneous-brewed ale... in the very end, besides the bone-dry and slightly chewy finish, a muted wheat-ish aroma manages to sneak through along with a lactic touch as of a lactose yeast drink.
M&D: super-light bodied, the hyper carbonation doesn't help a lot, but the overall clean palate is certainly welcomed. All in all, a brand new drinking experience for me this is, and really gets me closer to the picture of wheat beer mixed with a young lambic - or something totally more weird than this...

wl0307, Aug 14, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Been dying to try this ever since I arrived in Berlin, but couldn't get it pure at cafes, just the red and green, so I picked myself up a bottle.

Pours a murky yellow, like a dark lemonade with zero head/lacings. I give it a 'good' because I think that it's right on style-wise.

Apple cider on the nose, little bit of white-wine vinegar.

This drinks like a sour cider. Lots of apple, tart lemon, quite sour. Finish offers alot of wheat/malt just to let you know it is indeed a beer.

I think this could have done with a tad more carbonation, but I'm admittedly inexperienced with the style.

The German girl looked at me funny for drinking it plain, but it ain't bad. Really good summer drink, I'll have to try it with the syrups.

CanuckRover, Jul 20, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -8.9%

Very interesting. Not something I would drink on the regular, but interesting for sure.

Poured out golden, with a thin light head, which dissipated quickly . different sort of smell, like citrus, lime or lemon peel, something like that.

The taste is actually not bad, from what I heard it was supposed to be bitter. But its not at all, its actually just tart, like Raw cranberry juice. But thats actually a quality I like about it.

Light and fizzy mouthfeel, very bubbly.

Overall not bad. I like it for sure. And glad I got a chance to try it.

MichaelGreene, Jul 08, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Purchased in Berlin (how appropriate). Cute little bottle.

A: This is kind of weird-looking. Very pale, pale yellow with a frothy head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. Looks kind of like what I imagine what would happen if a weizen was cut about 50-50 with water. Some carbonation, but not much. Weird.

S: Also weird, kind of acidic. It's like grapefruit juice with the vaguest hint of apple.

T: This being my first straight-up Berliner Weissbier (I've tried it before with the Himbeer and still have the Waldmeister and Schwarze Johannisbeere varieties waiting - Himbeer was absolutely horrible, but now I'm understanding how it was so easy for the flavor of the beer to be overwhelmed by the additive). The taste is really weird, too (surprise, surprise) - very weak and citrus-y, with a decided apple juice aftertaste. Very acidic. This is much better than the versions mit Schuss, but still just really disorienting. I wish I knew more about the style. Overall, it's pretty refreshing, and not unenjoyable, but not very beer-y.

M: Watery, but not entirely horrible, just kind of unsatisfying. Definite kick afterwards with the acidic aftertaste.

D: Pretty easy to knock down, but you might get a stomachache if you're marathoning these without food due to the acidic character. I'm breaking out a piece of gouda to attempt to offset this effect as I type this.

All in all, I don't really feel qualified to review this, as I don't think I know enough about the style to form an intelligent opinion. I like it, kind of, but it doesn't really conform to my personal expectations of "beer."

jenitivecase, Jun 28, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

This is my first Berliner Weisse, and I must say this is the weirdest beer I've every had. I've listened to my beer podcasts with dudes reviewing this style of beer, and I can agree with them this beer takes much consideration.

Appearance wise, this is a nice looking brew. Ample amounts of bright white head, which dissipates into a fine lace ring. The body is light peach in color, and quite cloudy.

Aromas are almost like a body odor smell: very acidy and overwhelming. The only reason why I'm not trashing this is because this is my first sample of a Berliner Weisse.

The taste reminds me of a Lambic. Very tart and desires some fruit juice to cut the sourness down.

This could be a very refreshing beer. I know in Berlin the Berliner's do add some syrup to the beer in order to make it a much more enjoyable product.

I can't say I'd drink too many of these in a row. The tartness will give one a bad stomach ache, as I have one coming on now. For a 3.0 ABV brew, this is not a beer I could drink mass quantities of.

TheSarge, Jun 26, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours tinted white, like a white wine, wiht a fizzy frothy head that dissipates to that that one would find on a champagne. Maybe a little less striking or interesting than I would have expected. Smells strongly of apple juice and champagne as well. Some grape notes. What am I exactly drinking here?!? haha ok we'll see..

Tastes bitter and weak. Sort of like quinine mixed in with some malt and a lot of water. I believe this is appropriate for the style but I really just don't get it. Has a mouthfeel like tap water... I think this is headed for the drain... I can't really get more than a couple sips in.

wiseguy142, Jun 08, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

The tiny bottle is so cute...hey I got jipped here! Oh well. Pours a cloudy gold sunshine color with a weak head. Smells of green apple and fruity. Taste is acrid acidic with lots of carbonation with some fruitiness, mostly sour apples and a hint of raspberry syrup. Takes some getting used to and not expected from a weissbier but maybe the Berliner style has something to do with it. Isn't that a jelly doughnut what JFK so humorously admitted to being?

Portertime, May 17, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -16%

Hazy yellow. Very creamy head, white and compact. Beautiful.
Sour smell. And lactic. Strange, sure (my first real berliner weisse).
The sourness dominates also the taste. Well, fresh, and thirst-quenching.
Though I knew, less of more, about the style, at the first taste it left a bit of weirdness.
But, after all, a positive opinion. Fresh, thirst-quenching. Citric.
Lactic acid.
But, the more you drink it, the more you get accostumed. And in the end, you drink it with pleasure.
To taste again.

stcules, Feb 06, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Beer bottle (33 cl), tasted in 2007.
Appearance: wheat beer in the style Berliners, clear colour
Smell: fruity aromas
Taste and mouthfeel: farm, sparkling and fruity, with an acidity specific to this style of beer
Drinkability: good beer in the style Berliner Weiss

Review added 12-6-2007, translated from french 1-26-2008.

thierrynantes, Dec 06, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +4%

Had this one at the cafe in the tv tower, Alexanderplatz, Berlin.

Beer always tastes better at 204m above the ground!

This was served mit schuss: waldmeister, in the customary goblet.

A - A flourescent green, with a candyfloss like rocky white head that is everlasting! lacing is amazing! Aesthetically, an amazing beer, but maybe also, biased due to the view i have of the city as i drink this.

S - Lots of apples and a sour bubblegum smell. No distinct malts or hops

T - as the smell, tart, with apples, bubblegum and candy. Very sweet.

M - very spritzy and light.

D - This is really a desert beer, the sweetness of the syrup really would put you off any food. Had this without the syrup before, but not reviewed, will need to do this. However, if i had to choose which syrup, i would choose the Waldmeister over Himbeere, Himbeere is too sweet.

seanyfo, Aug 04, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

11.1 oz stubby bottle, poured into a Hoegaarden glass.

A: Amber colored, with a white head which quickly dissipates.

S: Funk, sour fruit, horse blankets.

T: Sourness definitely hits the tastebuds, but it is welcome and very pleasant. Bacterial funk also evident, with some lemon, orange, and tart Granny Smith apples.

M: Acidity you can feel in your teeth after you drink, like after eating sour candy, smooth, but a little thin, though this is a rare style, so I may not have a good interpretation of what the mouthfeel is supposed to be.

D: Very good, extremely low in alcohol, makes this a good summer refresher, and one you can drink a lot of.

Halcyondays, Jul 02, 2007